NATION

PASSWORD

Interactive map/study shows that 1 billion are antisemitic.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Is antisemitism on the rise?

Yes
37%
No
53%
Other
10%

Total votes : 73

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Interactive map/study shows that 1 billion are antisemitic.

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue May 27, 2014 7:30 pm

A recent poll of over 100 countries has found that 24% of the world's population have antisemitic views.

A map shows each country/region's antisemitic rating and which questions they answered.

http://global100.adl.org/

Honestly, as a Jew, this is scary. Also, with the rise of antisemitic parties in the EU, it is even scarier.
The fact that age-old stereotypes about Jewish power, loyalty, influence in business etc are still alive and well, and growing is just insane.
On the bright side, it was good to see that the majority are not anti semitic.

I am thoroughly confused about the rise of antisemitism in W. Europe - I expect it in the Arab world, but not in Europe.. are people going to lash out at Jews again due to economic problems? 69% are antisemitic in Greece!

What are your thoughts on this? Why is antisemitism on the rise in Western Europe? Do you think it truly is on the rise?
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Tue May 27, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Stahlarev
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahlarev » Tue May 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Too bad most of them haven't even seen a Jew ever.

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Tue May 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:I am thoroughly confused about the rise of antisemitism in W. Europe - I expect it in the Arab world, but not in Europe.. are people going to lash out at Jews again due to economic problems? 69% are antisemitic in Greece!

What are your thoughts on this? Why is antisemitism on the rise in Western Europe? Do you think it truly is on the rise?

Look at the stats on Islamaphobia, I guarantee it'll be higher.

People have their bigoted dispositions everywhere in the world, antisemitism took a massive hit after WW2 but since then it's been building up.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Yeah, it's interesting that it's high even in regions with very few Jews.. if they actually met some Jews, they'd find that stereotypes are untrue.

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Tue May 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Anti-semitism is bad, granted.
Though it is wrong, people these days are dissatisfied and seek an enemy, jews have often been this enemy.
This is because they are viewed as those who control the media and banks, it is true that a disproportionate amount of jews are in charge of American banks.
Though this is true, it does not excuse anti-Semitism.
Varemeist tõuseb kättemaks! Eesti on Hiiumaast Petserini!
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

Boycott Coke, drink Fanta

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:38 pm

We already had a thread on this. Questions bad, numbers inflated. Anti-defamation league uses it for their own gains, nothing more
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Saruhan wrote:We already had a thread on this. Questions bad, numbers inflated. Anti-defamation league uses it for their own gains, nothing more

Agreed.
Varemeist tõuseb kättemaks! Eesti on Hiiumaast Petserini!
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

Boycott Coke, drink Fanta

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm almost shocked that Iran had the lowest percentage in the ME/NAfrica Category.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Rephesus wrote:I'm almost shocked that Iran had the lowest percentage in the ME/NAfrica Category.

I'm not, Iran (despite the whole Islamic republic which used violence to gain power) has usually been more liberal than the rest of the ME
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Stahlarev
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahlarev » Tue May 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:Yeah, it's interesting that it's high even in regions with very few Jews.. if they actually met some Jews, they'd find that stereotypes are untrue.

It's also high at places where there are jews, so..

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue May 27, 2014 7:40 pm

While some of the questions don't necessarily make someone an anti Semite, they at the very least prove that anti Semitic stereotypes are alive and well.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 pm

I'd be curious to see just how accurate this really is, and what if anything, it is being used for as others have suggested. I'm also curious about the potential crossover between actual antisemitism and a dislike or disagreement with say, the Israeli government and their policies. It doesn't have to be one and the same. just a couple things to ponder.

I don't tend to trust these 'surveys' to begin with. It all depends on who you ask, and we all know it. And they can be used for whatever purposes, twisted up or not, that the people behind it want.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I'd be curious to see just how accurate this really is, and what if anything, it is being used for as others have suggested. I'm also curious about the potential crossover between actual antisemitism and a dislike or disagreement with say, the Israeli government and their policies. It doesn't have to be one and the same. just a couple things to ponder.

I don't tend to trust these 'surveys' to begin with. It all depends on who you ask, and we all know it. And they can be used for whatever purposes, twisted up or not, that the people behind it want.

Anti-defamation league. So of course it's biased

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 pm

This same study was posted a couple weeks ago.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Stahlarev
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahlarev » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I'd be curious to see just how accurate this really is, and what if anything, it is being used for as others have suggested. I'm also curious about the potential crossover between actual antisemitism and a dislike or disagreement with say, the Israeli government and their policies. It doesn't have to be one and the same. just a couple things to ponder.

Anti-defamation league. So of course it's biased

Now that I think about it, I live in Malaysia, and I do not know anyone who actually hates jews. There might be that one odd villager, but usually the very loud muslims are actually just old politicians tryharding to stay relevant.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

I think it's more the fact that people associate Jews with it. For example, it's wrong to associate every Muslim with the policies of Islamic nations. Regardless of whether said jewish person supports Israeli policies, people are still holding the old stereotypes about Jewish loyalties and influence.

While I don't think that anti semitism is really a big problem for Jews at the moment(I.e. I don't feel afraid to tell people I'm jewish, I don't expect bad reactions etc) , it is becoming a bigger issue (especially in Western Europe) Which could become a big problem.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Stahlarev wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Anti-defamation league. So of course it's biased

Now that I think about it, I live in Malaysia, and I do not know anyone who actually hates jews. There might be that one odd villager, but usually the very loud muslims are actually just old politicians tryharding to stay relevant.

It's questions are loaded too. Do jews have an over representation in business? Yes, that's a statistical fact. Do jews have a over representation in finance. Yes, statistical fact.

Kradlandia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kradlandia » Tue May 27, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm more curious about as to why people put all the effort into this in the first place. Prejudiced views are everywhere, nothing can stop it. As for your question on W. Europe, consider where most of their immigrants come from.
I'm so pretentious that I literally think I'm the great philosopher Plotinus and treat all of my posts as such. I also think people give a shit about my opinions, so I lay it all on my signature. In reality, I'm just some guy behind a computer screen eating cup ramen. I'm Peach Obama.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Kradlandia wrote:I'm more curious about as to why people put all the effort into this in the first place. Prejudiced views are everywhere, nothing can stop it. As for your question on W. Europe, consider where most of their immigrants come from.

Anti-defamation league.

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Tue May 27, 2014 7:48 pm

There's already been a thread on this, you know.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue May 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Stahlarev wrote:

It's questions are loaded too. Do jews have an over representation in business? Yes, that's a statistical fact. Do jews have a over representation in finance. Yes, statistical fact.

The idea of "Jews have too much influence in business" is anti Semitic. It suggests that Jews are unfairly involved in business, disadvantaging others, don't have a right to be there, etc.

The whole golden dawn thing and the anti Semitic party in Hungary just really freaked me out a bit. Other than those things, I don't think the questions and answers are a big problems - people will always be prejudiced. However the fact that people are voting for things like that suggests that they believe jewish people are the cause of their problems and need to be removed.

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:It seems that the US is the least antisemitic country in the world.

Nah. They didn't survey Israel ;)

Edit: And the Philippines is only 3% compared to the US' 9%.
Last edited by Rephesus on Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue May 27, 2014 7:51 pm

What qualifies for antisemitic in the poll?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Saruhan wrote:It's questions are loaded too. Do jews have an over representation in business? Yes, that's a statistical fact. Do jews have a over representation in finance. Yes, statistical fact.

The idea of "Jews have too much influence in business" is anti Semitic. It suggests that Jews are unfairly involved in business, disadvantaging others, don't have a right to be there, etc.

The whole golden dawn thing and the anti Semitic party in Hungary just really freaked me out a bit. Other than those things, I don't think the questions and answers are a big problems - people will always be prejudiced. However the fact that people are voting for things like that suggests that they believe jewish people are the cause of their problems and need to be removed.

Well, jews do have a much bigger weight in Business than their population would suggest. That's just factual

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General