NATION

PASSWORD

Anti-Chinese riots in Vietnam

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu May 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Roski wrote:
One bomb and the bubble China has pops!

Thermonuclear War is not fun in real life.

That's a bit further than it should go.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu May 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Roski wrote:

It sure is in the game DEFCON. And WarGames, I love that movie.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu May 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Roski wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Thermonuclear War is not fun in real life.

That's a bit further than it should go.

One bomb and that's how far it WILL go.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Thu May 15, 2014 4:47 pm

The US controlled the Philippines but did not help turn them into a regional power before or after they left. Some say that island nations navy is a joke.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu May 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Roski wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I assume you mean "could" in the sense that "yes, it is hypothetically possible for the US to put soldiers in China by force" and not in the sense of "...and keep them their for any length of time, much less achieve any plausible military-political objective".

a) probably not; it's not like the Chinese economy is that brittle.
b) one bomb and the US has a lot more problems on its hands than stroking off about mythical damage to China's economy
c) one bomb is not an invasion, it's an act of pique.

All of which are rather my point, which you seem to have missed.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Roski wrote:
Thafoo wrote:Don't do this to my country, thank you very much. We/they generally aren't fond of our/their fatigues, for somewhat obvious reasons.

Well.
We could just invade China.

The US is not in a position to invade, grow up and get real.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Roski wrote:That's a bit further than it should go.

One bomb and that's how far it WILL go.

China has too many people to fire nuclear missiles (Idk. Someone will use that excuse later)
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Roski wrote:

Nah, the Chinese aren't stupid. Unless the US was fool enough to use nukes first (see: doesn't achieve any plausible military-political objective), the Chinese will find a more clever way to respond.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Roski wrote:
Well.
We could just invade China.

The US is not in a position to invade, grow up and get real.

I have already said that it was a horrid idea and not to take it seriously.

And everyone did the opposite.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
cause of democracy?

And Human Rights , they're kind of an important thing.

and the USA is such a good posterboard for both right?

I'm sure China wishes it had overseas facilities to torture its prisoners instead of domestic ones (like Guantanamo) because apparently that would put it on such higher moral ground...

and also wishes that it too also had a building of its own (where dozens of Senators and Congressmen can bicker, wheel and deal away and ''represent the people.'')

''Human rights'' and ''democracy'' are too often just a smoke screen for self-interested interventionism.

Its a ridiculous reason for trying to cause instability in the world in rallying countries against China (as you seem to be arguing).

I've visited China many many times and nothing's ever happened to me and I've never seen any human rights violations. I'm not saying they don't exist but the way some people talk about the country, its as if they think it is some kind of Stalinist police state.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu May 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Genivaria wrote:And Human Rights , they're kind of an important thing.

I'm sure China wishes it had overseas facilities to torture its prisoners instead of domestic ones (like Guantanamo) because apparently that would put it on such higher moral ground...

and also wishes that it too also had a building of its own (where dozens of Senators and Congressmen can bicker, wheel and deal away and ''represent the people.'')

''Human rights'' and ''democracy'' are too often just a smoke screen for self-interested interventionism.

Its a ridiculous reason for trying to cause instability in the world in rallying countries against China (as you seem to be arguing).

I've visited China many many times and nothing's ever happened to me and I've never seen any human rights violations. I'm not saying they don't exist but the way some people talk about the country, its as if they think it is some kind of Stalinist police state.

Human rights exist somewhat here in the states though.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu May 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Roski wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:The US is not in a position to invade, grow up and get real.

Such generally happens when you don't make it utterly clear from the start that you're being facetious.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu May 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Roski wrote:

Such generally happens when you don't make it utterly clear from the start that you're being facetious.

I made it clear before a response was made to it.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Roski wrote:
Thafoo wrote:Such generally happens when you don't make it utterly clear from the start that you're being facetious.

I made it clear before a response was made to it.

Because people were busy writing replies when you had posted the response. It's best to make it at least somewhat clear from the get-go.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu May 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Roski wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

yeah but even in the US I am sure the government has ways to make you disappear if you cause too much trouble.

isn't it just the same in China? Except its easier for their government to do it because their legal system is less advanced and their system a bit less transparent?

Why is this line drawn where human rights ''exist'' in the US but not in China, when it is the case in both societies that most of the time your rights are respected unless in the extraordinary situation where you cause some kind of serious trouble against the government (ex terrorist suspicions in the US or anti-CPC sympathies in China)?

You think the NSA can't find a way to make you disappear if it decides your a serious threat?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu May 15, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu May 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Genivaria wrote:And Human Rights , they're kind of an important thing.

1. Compared to Russia and China? Yes, yes it is.
2. It says alot when the one torture we have causes a national scandal and the everyday torture there is considered no big deal.
3. .....Yeah? It's called a government building, I don't get the point you're trying to make here.
4. Irrelevant as noone is calling for intervention.
5. Anecdotal.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu May 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Roski wrote:

yeah but even in the US I am sure the government has ways to make you disappear if you cause too much trouble.

isn't it just the same in China? Except its easier for their government to do it because their legal system is less advanced and their system a bit less transparent?

Why is this line drawn where human rights ''exist'' in the US but not in China, when it is the case in both societies that most of the time your rights are respected unless in the extraordinary situation where you cause some kind of serious trouble against the government (ex terrorist suspicions in the US or anti-CPC sympathies in China)?

No and if you think it is then you know very little about either country.
I love it when authoritarian apologists try and look at freer countires and see a few faults and say "SEE! SEE! THEY'RE JUST THE SAME!"
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

1. Compared to Russia and China? Yes, yes it is.
2. It says alot when the one torture we have causes a national scandal and the everyday torture there is considered no big deal.
3. .....Yeah? It's called a government building, I don't get the point you're trying to make here.
5. Anecdotal.

1. Maybe but I think the difference is really overstated. For example, even the language that is casually thrown around. For example, saying human rights ''exist'' in the US but ''don't exist'' in China as opposed to saying they simply exist in varying degrees with less of it in China... Its just extremely misleading.

i thought you said somewhere you wanted the US to support an anti-China coalition of Asian states or something?

or was that someone else?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu May 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Genivaria wrote:1. Compared to Russia and China? Yes, yes it is.
5. Anecdotal.

1. Maybe but I think the difference is really overstated. For example, even the language that is casually thrown around. For example, saying human rights ''exist'' in the US but ''don't exist'' in China as opposed to saying they simply exist in varying degrees with less of it in China... Its just extremely misleading.

i thought you said somewhere you wanted the US to support an anti-China coalition of Asian states or something?

or was that someone else?

Yes I did, and it's not the same thing as calling for an intervention.
Calling for local countries to band together to pressure a country that has been threatening them isn't the same as invading, it IS however very smart.

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Thu May 15, 2014 5:05 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:Riots and Violence against Chinese citizens is spiraling in Vietnam. Reports of factories being burned and ethnic Chinese businessmen fleeing is the unfortunate byproduct of this situation.
20 people have been killed thus far in the past day.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... in-vietnam

It is sad to see such hostility against the People's Republic of China. I feel like the West is purposefully trying to stoke tension in the region by pitting China's neighbors against Beijing in a thinly veiled containment policy.
"Pivot to Asia" as they like to call it.
Obama's Sino-phobic Asia tour last month as a good example of this policy.

Vietnam must immediately work to contain this nationalist outburst, or bad things may come.

China has tried numerous times in history to invade Vietnam, probably trying to either massacre the population or integrate it into the Han population (either way though, they failed). Now China is trying to demand water territory that either belongs to Vietnam or is international water. Is America trying to "contain" China? Yeah, I would say they are, but that's only because China is trying to expand, and the only way that is possible is to essentially invade, conquer, or annex places that did not belong to them before.

In other words, the US is rightfully trying to keep China from acting imperialistically and taking over land and water that don't belong to them. Also, Obama is desperately trying to mend the friction in Asia right now that is being caused by China. What is going on in Vietnam right now is a response to China trying to essentially invade the sovereign territory of Vietnam. Though I don't agree with the riots or attacks, this is Vietnam simply responding to China's own ultra-nationalistic outburst which (frighteningly) is being created by the government. It certainly isn't civilian ships that are bullying non-Chinese vessels all across the South China Sea.
Last edited by Dalcaria on Thu May 15, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 pm

China declares war on Vietnam, then the Soviet Union prepares to launch attack on China but China attacks first, Anyone get it?
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Roski wrote:

Hardly. Go look up "habeas corpus". In fact, the Supreme Court ruled (in Boumediene v. Bush) that habeas applies to non-citizens as well: no part of the government of the US can simply detain people without cause.

I agree with Genivaria here: you apparently don't know much about either country.

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Thu May 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Hardly. Go look up "habeas corpus". In fact, the Supreme Court ruled (in Boumediene v. Bush) that habeas applies to non-citizens as well: no part of the government of the US can simply detain people without cause.

I agree with Genivaria here: you apparently don't know much about either country.

Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus before, so I am sure others could.
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu May 15, 2014 5:09 pm

Cyyro wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Hardly. Go look up "habeas corpus". In fact, the Supreme Court ruled (in Boumediene v. Bush) that habeas applies to non-citizens as well: no part of the government of the US can simply detain people without cause.

Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus before, so I am sure others could.

Still not even close to the same thing.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 pm

The Rhomaion wrote:I mean, it failed in every key objective.

In other words, it was defeated.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General