NATION

PASSWORD

If you could go back in history...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: If you could go back in history...

Postby Rejistania » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:
Comaack wrote:Bush was not the best president, even I get angry at him sometimes, but if Gore was President, America would be doomed.

True.

Id have to see some proof..... :roll:

You don't want to remember the dollar disaster? I know 8 years are a long time, but has the Dollar Disaster completely slipped your mind? Presidents don't encourage the use of milliard and other long scale names to make the hyperinflation seem less bad.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Leach Islands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leach Islands » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:06 pm

stop the EU from forming
Signed
J.Leach
=/\= Intergalactic King of Leach Islands
Leader & Founder Of AWATO Peacekeeping organisation
DefCon:[1][2][3][4][5]
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.
Shebu wrote:
History is written by winners. French History books are blank from cover to cover.

Robarya
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Leach Islands wrote:stop the EU from forming

How would you expect to do that? I think that an European co-operation was more or less an unavoidable development in the aftermath of World War II, due to the balance of power decisively shifting from Europe to the US of A and Russia.

Leach Islands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leach Islands » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Let Germany keep france and end WW2 before D-Day, problem solved
Signed
J.Leach
=/\= Intergalactic King of Leach Islands
Leader & Founder Of AWATO Peacekeeping organisation
DefCon:[1][2][3][4][5]
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.
Shebu wrote:
History is written by winners. French History books are blank from cover to cover.

Atreath
Attaché

Founded: Jul 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Atreath » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:36 pm

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Plan B:

I'd take the alias 'Steve', go back and seduce Adam. :D

You could just go back and edit the relevant bit of Bible.
Or supplant Moses and make a good set of laws.

A better Idea. And what I would do personally:

Kill abraham or prevent his birth. It would solve a lot of problems.

Robarya
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Leach Islands wrote:Let Germany keep france and end WW2 before D-Day, problem solved

I would have liked to see NS Germany win --or at least survive-- WW II too, but sadly that was highly unlikely after the failure to defeat Russia in 1941-1942.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Plan B:

I'd take the alias 'Steve', go back and seduce Adam. :D

You could just go back and edit the relevant bit of Bible.
Or supplant Moses and make a good set of laws.

That could work too. And it could be considerably less... awkward. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Osgarna
Envoy

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:10 pm

See, the problem is that it's impossible to change history (not to mention all the problems with free will that time travel poses). People generally only think of the case where you kill an ancestor or yourself or something as creating a paradox, but it is much easier than that. For example, if I missed the bus because it came early, I might want to go back in time to make the bus arrive later so that I catch it. But if I do that, I won't have missed the bus because it won't have come early, so it will never occur to me to go back in time and slow the bus down. The same applies to preventing any other event. Therefore, since a paradox arises with any attempt to change the past, it must be impossible.

Assuming I could change something however, I'm still not sure that I would. It would be to hard to predict the results of the alteration.

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Osgarna wrote:See, the problem is that it's impossible to change history (not to mention all the problems with free will that time travel poses). People generally only think of the case where you kill an ancestor or yourself or something as creating a paradox, but it is much easier than that. For example, if I missed the bus because it came early, I might want to go back in time to make the bus arrive later so that I catch it. But if I do that, I won't have missed the bus because it won't have come early, so it will never occur to me to go back in time and slow the bus down. The same applies to preventing any other event. Therefore, since a paradox arises with any attempt to change the past, it must be impossible.

Assuming I could change something however, I'm still not sure that I would. It would be to hard to predict the results of the alteration.

Umm... you know this HOW? Time travel is completely unknown.

Osgarna
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Ferrous Oxide wrote:
Osgarna wrote:See, the problem is that it's impossible to change history (not to mention all the problems with free will that time travel poses). People generally only think of the case where you kill an ancestor or yourself or something as creating a paradox, but it is much easier than that. For example, if I missed the bus because it came early, I might want to go back in time to make the bus arrive later so that I catch it. But if I do that, I won't have missed the bus because it won't have come early, so it will never occur to me to go back in time and slow the bus down. The same applies to preventing any other event. Therefore, since a paradox arises with any attempt to change the past, it must be impossible.

Umm... you know this HOW? Time travel is completely unknown.

Logic!

Peach marmalade
Secretary

Founded: Jun 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peach marmalade » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:27 pm

id go back in time and prevent tupac being shot...the first time. maybe then rap wouldnt have taken such a terrible turn...*shivers from lil wayne*

but, eh, for serious, id go back in time and probably prevent Jim Jones from being the sociopath he turned out to be, some how....hopefully not in his death. but somehow.
-the smart thing about the nail bomb, is that you can buy the parts needed at your local hardware store

-except for the semtex...

Mirkana
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirkana » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:42 pm

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Cybach wrote:Not to be a stickler. But the ancient State of Israel is not the modern State. I am sure you read the Talmud to quite an extent. You are aware of exactly how genocidal the old Israelites were right? As well as militarily aggressive. I believe they genocided/ethnically cleansed no less than 3-4 people, because "God commanded them to." You really want to give those people access to high class military grade material?

That's almost worse than giving Hitler nukes, only difference being Hitler is in modern times. The Israelites in ancient times. I realize you want to perhaps save your people from undue harm to come in the future. However to be fair, the means don't really justify the end. However couldn't this also be solved by removing the Sanhedrins role in the death of Jesus Christ? I am sure a LOT of massacres and persecutions of your people could have been averted had the Jewish High Council not arrogantly played such a big role in the death of the person who would later become the Messiah to the most practiced religion in the world.

But the Jews are always right. Duh.

More accurately, G-d is always right.

Anyway, my plan was to give the weapons to the Zealots, not the ancient Israelites. See, I don't know if whatever technology I could introduce would be enough to defeat a strong, unified empire anyway. But the Judean revolt occured in the middle of a Roman civil war. Once Vespasian's army is toast, there may not be another to take its place. By the time the Romans get their act together, Israel will by fully independent.

Oh, one more thing. I wasn't exactly planning on giving the Zealots gunpowder, longbows, and the scientific method, and then just leaving. I was more thinking of taking charge myself.
Impeach Ramses, Legalize Monotheism, Slavery is Theft, MOSES 1400 BCE

Pro: Democracy, Egalitarianism, Judaism, Separation of Church and State, Israel, Arab Spring, Gay Rights, Welfare, Universal Healthcare, Regulated Capitalism, Scientific Rationalism, Constitutional Monarchy
Against: Dictatorships, Racism, Nazism, Theocracy, Anti-Semitism, Sexism, Homophobia, Imperialism, Creationism, Genocide, Slavery

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:There sure is a lot of damning and fucking going around in here. :lol:

It's the international nature of the board.

In some places, it's Saturday night; in other places, Sunday morning.

Blazedtown wrote:Because every decision ever is a secret conspiracy to keep the brothers down.

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Kill that guy who killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand. No WW2, no Hitler, no Holocaust. What wouldn't be to love if that happened?
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 pm

if I could go back in history, I would stop this thread ever being created. But then how would I be inspired to make my time machine to do just that? oh gods.
...gorgonopsids.

Osgarna
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Jordaxia wrote:if I could go back in history, I would stop this thread ever being created. But then how would I be inspired to make my time machine to do just that? oh gods.

:clap: You just earned a big, shiny medal.

Heinleinites
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heinleinites » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 pm

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:If I could, I wouldn't. My subjective judgement of what would make history "better" wouldn't be worth the risk that I might break the universe.

I'm going to go with this. People always seem to think that an alternative will be 'better' but who's to say that this timeline might not be the best of all worlds, and that every other alternative is so much worse?

These kind of threads always remind me of that Ray Bradbury story where the guys go back to hunt dinosaurs, and the one guy gets scared and leaves 'the path' and steps on a ant, and changes all of history so that the world is completely crap when they get back.

Cameroi wrote:i would prevent the master from giving the stirup to the etruscans so there would never have been a roman empire. for oh so many reasons.

The Master? I think you're confusing Doctor Who with actual reality. The first dependable representation of a rider with paired stirrups was found in China in a Jin Dynasty tomb of about AD 322. The Etruscan civilization had run it's course by roughly 396 BC, with them ceasing to be a political power by roughly 500 BC. Plus, even if the Etruscans had had stirrups, I highly doubt that was the sole cause of the rise of the Roman Empire
Last edited by Heinleinites on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:20 pm

The_pantless_hero wrote:
greed and death wrote:Kill John Maynard Keynes. not because he is bad, but because those who claim to be Keynesian have no clue what he meant. Sort of like fundies and Jesus Christ.

Then all the Keynesians will carry around icons of Keynes that shows the manner in which he was killed.

Kill him in 1928.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Altergo wrote:If you could go back in history what event or catastrophe (personal or not) would you try to prevent from happening, and why this event?

take a film crew... and go to the age of the dinosaurs and make the ultimate Dino-mentary

and if I can go multiple times, then film the entire dawn of life.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Heinleinites
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heinleinites » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Maurepas wrote:Id have to see some proof..... :roll:

it's foolish to demand proof that a hypothetical situation would have turned out the way the person positing it says it would when there is no way to test it and see. Sure, you can argue it up and down and back and forth, but 'proof' will not be forth-coming.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Comaack wrote:Bush was not the best president, even I get angry at him sometimes, but if Gore was President, America would be doomed.

Id have to see some proof..... :roll:

That is all the proof we'll ever need, ever.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:

True.

Better Gore than Palin *Shudders at the thought*
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Minnas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnas » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Galloism wrote:Wat? I have a feeling I'm not getting something here...

You seldom do. :roll:
Take your time to trust in me,
and you will find
Infinity...

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Minnas wrote:
Galloism wrote:Wat? I have a feeling I'm not getting something here...

You seldom do. :roll:

Hush you.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Minnas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnas » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:If I could back in time I would change this very moment.

Why is it that I can almost taste your sadness? :(
Take your time to trust in me,
and you will find
Infinity...

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Minnas wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:If I could back in time I would change this very moment.

Why is it that I can almost taste your sadness? :(

Who are you?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General