NATION

PASSWORD

James Cameron's Avatar... is Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marktoria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marktoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:58 pm

It looks like amazing CGI. But the plot is something I might not like. I don't know. I might see it one day.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
Conserative Morality wrote:He stares into your soul and says 'If you oppose Freedom, I will rip out your heart and fertilize my fields with your blood, afterwords, I will construct architectural marvels with your bones and write entire books on your cured skin.'
You can tell a lot about a man's intentions from his stare.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Tungookska wrote:you mean like the 12 guys and the prostitute that he hung out with?

That's not a commune. That's a rugby team. ;)

Ifreann wrote:I'm an atheist because God spoke to me through a burning pile of evidence bush and said unto me "Go forth, and piss my people off!".

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:03 pm

United Marktoria wrote:It looks like amazing CGI. But the plot is something I might not like. I don't know. I might see it one day.

thing is, if you want to see it you should see it on the big screen. preferably IMAX. the special effects are everything in this movie.

if a crappy plot would ruin the movie for you then you should probably never bother with it.
whatever

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Zombie PotatoHeads wrote:...
2. It's written and directed by James Cameron. Which means, if Titanic is anything to go by, this movie'll
... d. Have a piss-poor plot so full of holes you could sail the Titanic through;

not with an iceberg in the way you couldn't :lol:

Final score from 1912: iceberg 1 titanic 0
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I liked it, but its not the second coming of Cinema Christ or anything.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

United Marktoria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marktoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:It looks like amazing CGI. But the plot is something I might not like. I don't know. I might see it one day.

thing is, if you want to see it you should see it on the big screen. preferably IMAX. the special effects are everything in this movie.

if a crappy plot would ruin the movie for you then you should probably never bother with it.

I don't have an IMAX theater around where i live. :(
Anyway, I have a lot of friends who want me to go see it. But... I don't know. I will probably enjoy the special effects, but there wouldn't be a good plot. I mean, look at Starwars! It has a great plot(though, not totally original) and combined a series of new, amazing special effects of its day to keep the audience on its seat. Especially in the Prequeal. If you just have a good Plot, with hardly no special effects, the majority of people will like it, but not fall die hard in love with it. Then, movies with an underdeveloped plot but state of the art Special Effects, people go crazy for it, but it eventually dies out. Because somebody will just top Avatar one day, and then everyone will go ape shit crazy for that movie. Movies with amazing plots, and state of the art special effects will become classics that people want to see over and over again.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
Conserative Morality wrote:He stares into your soul and says 'If you oppose Freedom, I will rip out your heart and fertilize my fields with your blood, afterwords, I will construct architectural marvels with your bones and write entire books on your cured skin.'
You can tell a lot about a man's intentions from his stare.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Tungookska wrote:you mean like the 12 guys and the prostitute that he hung out with?

That's not a commune. That's a rugby team. ;)

Ifreann wrote:I'm an atheist because God spoke to me through a burning pile of evidence bush and said unto me "Go forth, and piss my people off!".

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:16 pm

United Marktoria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Anyway, I have a lot of friends who want me to go see it. But... I don't know. I will probably enjoy the special effects, but there wouldn't be a good plot. I mean, look at Starwars! It has a great plot(though, not totally original) and combined a series of new, amazing special effects of its day to keep the audience on its seat. Especially in the Prequeal. If you just have a good Plot, with hardly no special effects, the majority of people will like it, but not fall die hard in love with it. Then, movies with an underdeveloped plot but state of the art Special Effects, people go crazy for it, but it eventually dies out. Because somebody will just top Avatar one day, and then everyone will go ape shit crazy for that movie. Movies with amazing plots, and state of the art special effects will become classics that people want to see over and over again.

oh well if you think that star wars is GOOD maybe you ought to give this thing a chance
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

oh well if you think that star wars is GOOD maybe you ought to give this thing a chance

4 5 and 6 are good.
1 2 and 3 are travesty.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:22 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

4 5 and 6 are good.
1 2 and 3 are travesty.

they are all quite thin. they got worse as lucas' ego grew
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

4 5 and 6 are good.
1 2 and 3 are travesty.

they are all quite thin. they got worse as lucas' ego grew

Well 6 was beginning to become a flop.
However I find 5 to be the best.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Aldobrandeschi
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aldobrandeschi » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Zombie PotatoHeads wrote:I was just going to make a thread asking people if it's worth seeing. I've not seen it. I was considering going but two things are making me baulk:
1. The ticket prices are ridiculously high here. It's almost double the normal price because it's 3-D and 3+ hours long. What with travelling, and the usual vittals necessary for movie-going, I'll be spending close to the equivalent of $35US. For a movie. For me to consider parting with that much dosh, it needs to be an extremely great movie.

2. It's written and directed by James Cameron. Which means, if Titanic is anything to go by, this movie'll
a. Be at least an hour too long;
b. Be self-indulgent twaddle;
c. Be over-wrought and sodden with simplistic & simple-minded moralising;
d. Have a piss-poor plot so full of holes you could sail the Titanic through;
e. Be stuffed full of 2-dimensional characters (more caricarture than character) emoting and chewing the scenery;
f. Have dialogue so painful, so cheesy and so banal one wonders if it's not in fact a parody on bad movie-making;
g. Have 2 hours of mind-numbing dullness building up towards the climax of an hour or so of total action. The knowledge of impending cool special effects and big explosions is to ensure the male theatre goer remains in the theatre while the drippy love story being played out in the first 2 hours is there to entertain the female theatre goer. I notice the trailers focus almost solely on, what I'm assuming, will be the final battle scenes. Which makes one wonder what happens to get us to that point and why is it not worth promoting.

I've only seen the trailers and already I can see one major plothole that perhaps someone who has seen it can explain. And this is: Why is it, when humanity has achieved the technology to allow them to transverse intergalactic space, to create massive war machines: robots, hoverships, laser cannons etc, and to be able to clone and create lifeforms and transfer a person's consciousness into it then why the hell is the main character stuck in a 20th Century wheelchair? Am I really meant to believe that with all these major advances in science and technology and biology, no-one's managed to make a better wheelchair? Let alone not have advanced surgery enough to repair spinal injuries? Least they could have done is put him in a floating jet chair.
Seems to me, the only reason he's in the wheelchair is to give his character depth and pathos (thus going from 1 dimension all the way up to 1.5) and to give him a reason for siding with the blue aliens against the nasty evil humans. I would not be surprised if there's even a scene in the movie where his blue love interest tells him the humans are crippling them by destroying their forest but he doesn't know what that's like. Because one could ever accuse James Cameron of subtlety.

But of course I could be wrong. So if anyone has seen, what are your reviews?

I was dismayed to read a review of the new Sherlock Holmes movie as 'being Snatch meets Holmes!"
If ever there was a sentence designed to keep me as far from a theatre as possible twould be this one. Snatch was a truly awful movie,: the cry of a pathetically uncool person (Guy Ritchie) desperately trying to be cool. It was akin to an overweight 35 yr old getting into a 'John Travolta circa 1978' white suit and heading down to the local night club, thinking the entire time he's hip and cool.
Having just watched the trailer, it's not so much 'Snatch meets Homes' as 'Snatch v1.5'. There were scenes that I swear must have come from Snatch cutting room floor.

:eyebrow: wow so correct me if im wrong, but ur going to let a tiny detail like a weelchair ruin a movie for u? cmon man

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 pm

greed and death wrote:Well 6 was beginning to become a flop.

as do i. but its still not good.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

Blasphemy!!!!
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:34 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Blasphemy!!!!

lol

for a long time i assumed it was because harrison ford couldnt act but then he was in other movies where it was obvious that he can. so i realized that it was all george lucas sucking.
whatever

Dreumia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreumia » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Alright, I guessed the plotline from the preview.

Ebul humans come to destroy forest
Ebul humans clone marine person to help destroy the Noble Indian smurfs
Marine loves Indians smurfs
Forest saved, ebul humans wrong.
Marine is happy as an Indian smurf.
While I don't wish to delay Straughn's initiation as an apostle, I would remind the various deities posting in this thread that there is a topic. Pray condescend to address it.

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004

Postby Straughn » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:26 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Blasphemy!!!!

I liked 3 enough to watch it more than once in a year, as i did with 2, as i always do with 5, but not as much with the others.
Fuck, i can quote every line in sequence with 5 i've watched it too many times (Monty Python as well, obviously) Not so memorable with 2 and 3, but that's not really why i watch them. Other than the Bush-isms from 3, but that's kinda my point, is it's something to watch with my little dudes.

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004

Postby Straughn » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Verdigroth wrote:Thank you for a simplistic view of a movie based on ads. I actually like it a lot. The plot may have been done many times before, but Shakespeare said that there were really only 7 plots/stories out there.
Did he? I think that's an urban legend.

Verdigroth wrote:It was a good movie. You can tell it wasn't a committee movie either.
Committee?
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/214550_f120.jpg
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled."
--Sir Barnett Cocks.
Last edited by Straughn on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdigroth
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdigroth » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Dreumia wrote:Alright, I guessed the plotline from the preview.

Ebul humans come to destroy forest
Ebul humans clone marine person to help destroy the Noble Indian smurfs
Marine loves Indians smurfs
Forest saved, ebul humans wrong.
Marine is happy as an Indian smurf.

Actually the come to mine for a rare mineral
Cloned to convince smurfs to move from big ore deposit
that one is good
not so much, but they save an uplink, and kick many humans off planet
happier not necessarily happy all the way.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2009

Postby Playing In The Water » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Aldobrandeschi wrote:
Zombie PotatoHeads wrote:I've only seen the trailers and already I can see one major plothole that perhaps someone who has seen it can explain. And this is: Why is it, when humanity has achieved the technology to allow them to transverse intergalactic space, to create massive war machines: robots, hoverships, laser cannons etc, and to be able to clone and create lifeforms and transfer a person's consciousness into it then why the hell is the main character stuck in a 20th Century wheelchair? Am I really meant to believe that with all these major advances in science and technology and biology, no-one's managed to make a better wheelchair? Let alone not have advanced surgery enough to repair spinal injuries? Least they could have done is put him in a floating jet chair.

:eyebrow: wow so correct me if im wrong, but ur going to let a tiny detail like a weelchair ruin a movie for u? cmon man

Yeah, I was wondering how in the world that could constitute as an argument against the movie myself. What, is being realistic and using believable props a crime now, too? Why not just have the helicopters shoot lasers and polar bears, then?

Seriously...people nitpicking things in this movie just don't make sense to me sometimes. :?
Terraliberty wrote:What do you call an abortion in Prague? A cancelled Czech!

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:33 pm

I cant seem to find his profile to find out, :?

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:38 pm

My uncle saw it, and described it as "Dances with Wolves in Space" or something. I've never liked Kevin Costner, besides in Field of Dreams. I think it's really touching that his dad gets to play with him before the end. My dad used to have us play baseball, but it was pretty tough for me. I was never really any good at it and preferred to play video games. I was always behind the curve on games though, since my family wasn't exactly rich. The graphics were outdated, especially by today's standards. Speaking of graphics, have you seen that new movie Avatar? My uncle saw it, and described it as "Dances with Wolves in Space" or something. I've never liked Kevin Costner...
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Whole Conviction
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whole Conviction » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:52 pm

You're right, every creation which uses elements common to previous ones is exactly the same. My next house, I'm not gonna build it out of brick. That's been done. All brick houses are EXACTLY THE SAME. I'm going to have to build it out of something no-one's ever built a house out of before. Maybe cobalt.

And you're right, the aliens are totally smurfs. Just look at them! They're tubby, cartoonish, three apples high, wear stupid hats and are cheery. The similarities are ENDLESS.
I got told to get a blog. So I did.

Playing In The Water
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2009

Postby Playing In The Water » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:16 am

Whole Conviction wrote:You're right, every creation which uses elements common to previous ones is exactly the same. My next house, I'm not gonna build it out of brick. That's been done. All brick houses are EXACTLY THE SAME. I'm going to have to build it out of something no-one's ever built a house out of before. Maybe cobalt.

And you're right, the aliens are totally smurfs. Just look at them! They're tubby, cartoonish, three apples high, wear stupid hats and are cheery. The similarities are ENDLESS.

Thank you! :hug:

That's what I've been trying to say, but your sass is better than mine. :p
Terraliberty wrote:What do you call an abortion in Prague? A cancelled Czech!

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:21 am

greed and death wrote:4 5 and 6 are good.
1 2 and 3 are travesty.

Star Wars 4 was grand. 5 was superb. 6 already showed some sign of decadence...
1 was obnoxious, 2 was so horrible I didn't manage to watch 3 for three years after that... and, even then, only on PC and no more than 15 minutes a day. Holy crap, what a downfall.

edit: of course 5 was the best, the screenplay was written by Leigh Brackett for fuck's sake! (and Kasdan, ok...)
Last edited by Risottia on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:30 am

I just found the plot to be too hard to believe. I mean, really, the humans should have walked all over the smurfs.
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Abdju
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Abdju » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Just got home from seeing Avatar in 2D (don't like 3D). Wasn't expecting much, but actually I liked it. It was the first film I've seen in ages were I've actually felt able to root for the "good guys". usually I wind up preferring the "wrong" guys in these sorts of movies. It was beautifully done, which is saying a lot as I usually am not a big fan of CGI.

So yes, I like Avatar :)

Left/Right -5.25 | Auth/Lib: +2.57 |
"Objectivism really is a Fountainhead of philosophical diarrhea" - derscon
"God Hates Fags But Says It's Okay to Double Dip" - Gauthier

Great Nepal - Tax supporting environment are useless, we can live without it.
Great Nepal - Lions can't fly. Therefore, eagles are superior.
Turan Cumhuriyeti - no you presented lower quality of brain
Greed and Death - Spanish was an Amerindian language.
Sungai Pusat - No, I know exactly what happened. The Titanic had left USA's shores and somewhere near the Arctic Circle
Derscon - I let Jews handle my money, not my penis.
Fevolo - i'm not talking about catholics. i'm talking about christians.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General