NATION

PASSWORD

Town prayer sessions upheld. SCOTUS 5-4

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Greed here's the problem with the not forced to be there idea. A townhall meeting is a chance for the citizens to directly contact their representatives. By saying they don't have to attend you are also removing one more avenue for them to discuss their feelings and issues in a public setting. In legislative sessions, the public may watch, but they do not directly participate.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Greed here's the problem with the not forced to be there idea. A townhall meeting is a chance for the citizens to directly contact their representatives. By saying they don't have to attend you are also removing one more avenue for them to discuss their feelings and issues in a public setting. In legislative sessions, the public may watch, but they do not directly participate.

You don't HAVE to be a witness at a trial(ignoring that in some cases, you do, I think most people would like to be witnesses if they witnessed the crime because justice.) , you just have to declare your allegiance to allah before you can be.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Baader-Meinhof Gruppe
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baader-Meinhof Gruppe » Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Greed here's the problem with the not forced to be there idea. A townhall meeting is a chance for the citizens to directly contact their representatives. By saying they don't have to attend you are also removing one more avenue for them to discuss their feelings and issues in a public setting. In legislative sessions, the public may watch, but they do not directly participate.

You don't HAVE to be a witness at a trial, you just have to declare your allegiance to allah before you can be.

You do have to answer the summons though. Doesn't mean you have to testify, but you do have to answer the summons
Last edited by Baader-Meinhof Gruppe on Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Baader-Meinhof Gruppe wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
You don't HAVE to be a witness at a trial, you just have to declare your allegiance to allah before you can be.

You do have to answer the summons though.

Well quite. Pointed that out in an edit.
It's analagous to attending a public meeting.

Most people (I think) don't mind being witnesses at trials if they actually witnessed the crime, because justice.
Same for people attending town meetings. They know about an issue, and want to see it rectified.
Forcing them to pray to allah beforehand is problematic.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Death Metal wrote:
greed and death wrote:So since you are not required to serve as an elected official, you are not required to sit through meetings opened with a prayer ?

That's not even the point of the objection. People are objecting because it's an endorsement of religion.

And let's be honest; if this was Dearborn and it was Muslim prayer, the five that upheld this law would strike it down faster than you can blink.

Again read up the quote chain, he wanted to know if this reversed the school prayer ruling, so I explained how this differed from school prayer.

As for you comment on lack of protection for minority religion, an extreme minority religion was protected in Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal, 546 U.S. 418 (2006). How extremely minority ? Let's just say an indigenous(arguably new age indigenous) religion from Brazil, that believed in using hallucinogenic drugs.

Also we have County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, 492 U.S. 573 (1989), where conservative members of the court voted for the constitutionality of a public menorah display. So clearly they do protect other religions than Christianity.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon May 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Murkwood wrote:Yes! Freedom of Religion wins again!

Freedom of religion lost.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 4:37 pm

You can also write them a letter, or attend their campaign events, or make an appointment to talk with them in their office( really easy for municipal government). Attending a city council meeting is but one small way to be involved. If the prayer really bothers and you really need to be at the meeting you that much just attend the meetings a little late after the prayer is done.

If you were required to pray or listen to someone pray before voting I would be all with you. But you are not.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 05, 2014 4:42 pm

greed and death wrote:

You can also write them a letter, or attend their campaign events, or make an appointment to talk with them in their office( really easy for municipal government). Attending a city council meeting is but one small way to be involved. If the prayer really bothers and you really need to be at the meeting you that much just attend the meetings a little late after the prayer is done.

If you were required to pray or listen to someone pray before voting I would be all with you. But you are not.

But you cannot do these things in public. The letter is private, so is the meeting. The campaign event is not geared towards answering detailed or specific questions. So now you are forcing people to arrive late at the meeting? Brilliant. Public meetings like this are one of the few ways a person can get their issues heard by many people. It is one of the few ways to air grievances in public, without having to campaign.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon May 05, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
greed and death wrote:You can also write them a letter, or attend their campaign events, or make an appointment to talk with them in their office( really easy for municipal government). Attending a city council meeting is but one small way to be involved. If the prayer really bothers and you really need to be at the meeting you that much just attend the meetings a little late after the prayer is done.

But you cannot do these things in public. The letter is private, so is the meeting. The campaign event is not geared towards answering detailed or specific questions. So now you are forcing people to arrive late at the meeting? Brilliant. Public meetings like this are one of the few ways a person can get their issues heard by many people. It is one of the few ways to air grievances in public, without having to campaign.

Arrive late, sit out in the hallway, or just learn to be an adult and accept elected people may have beliefs that differ from yours and sit quietly through that old guy's prayer.
Barack Obama

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon May 05, 2014 4:50 pm

greed and death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Arrive late, sit out in the hallway, or just learn to be an adult and accept elected people may have beliefs that differ from yours and sit quietly through that old guy's prayer.

Why should we have to? Why should we have to be shoved into the corner and have the Establishment Clause be shit all over while everyone else does whatever the fuck they want?
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon May 05, 2014 4:53 pm

greed and death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

So why aren't other people's views being respected? Why, after the Christian prayer, isn't there a Muslim prayer? Or a Hindu prayer?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Merizoc wrote:
greed and death wrote:Arrive late, sit out in the hallway, or just learn to be an adult and accept elected people may have beliefs that differ from yours and sit quietly through that old guy's prayer.

So why aren't other people's views being respected? Why, after the Christian prayer, isn't there a Muslim prayer? Or a Hindu prayer?

Get elected and I am sure you could arrange to have one.
Barack Obama

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Mon May 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Merizoc wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I think one might want to try with a Democrat-majority court and take out the biggest one... Congressional Prayer.

Dems wouldn't get rid of Congressional prayers.

Especially if they keep up the current trend of only nominating centrist judges
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon May 05, 2014 5:07 pm

greed and death wrote:
Merizoc wrote:So why aren't other people's views being respected? Why, after the Christian prayer, isn't there a Muslim prayer? Or a Hindu prayer?

Get elected and I am sure you could arrange to have one.

Because freedom of religion is just a guideline that can be overlooked by simple majority, quite obviously.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon May 05, 2014 5:28 pm

greed and death wrote:So NSG what do you say is this good tolerance of religion or is this an impermissible violations of the establishment clause?

If the prayer is sponsored by the town, it violates the establishment clause. School prayers sponsored by the school were outlawed in Engel vs. Vitale a while ago, so I'm not sure how this ruling makes sense in light of the other.

Roan Cara
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Roan Cara » Mon May 05, 2014 5:36 pm

I love the double standard I see here all the time. So basically it is more than fine for non christians to protest all kinds of christian things but let a christian protest anything or stand up for their beliefs about anything and everyone is butthurt about it. Now me, I am my own Person and my own Christian I do not go for alot of the very stereotypical views christians get foisted with on this site such as the whole anti gay thing or the abortion thing etc but I do think that people who have those beliefs have just as much right to express them and stand for them as you all do to express your beliefs and opinions. In this case, I wonder how many of the people who attend these meetings are christian or just agnostic and just plain don't care if there is a prayer or not and that being the case why on earth is it anyone elses business? especially if they don't live in that town or community? how is it their business?
Married to Big Jim P- I will always love him-ALLways
Roan HaYashurah - Roan the Just... or straight...~Menassa
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss[/align]

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon May 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Roan Cara wrote:I love the double standard I see here all the time. So basically it is more than fine for non christians to protest all kinds of christian things but let a christian protest anything or stand up for their beliefs about anything and everyone is butthurt about it. Now me, I am my own Person and my own Christian I do not go for alot of the very stereotypical views christians get foisted with on this site such as the whole anti gay thing or the abortion thing etc but I do think that people who have those beliefs have just as much right to express them and stand for them as you all do to express your beliefs and opinions. In this case, I wonder how many of the people who attend these meetings are christian or just agnostic and just plain don't care if there is a prayer or not and that being the case why on earth is it anyone elses business? especially if they don't live in that town or community? how is it their business?

inB4 "americuh has christain roots"
inB4 "most americuhns are christain"
inB4 "freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion"
inB4 Shie

I think I've covered all the usually responses.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Azinar
Civil Servant

Founded: May 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Azinar » Mon May 05, 2014 5:39 pm

greed and death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Ostroeuropa made a good point a few posts ago about sitting through the prayer. By declining to involve yourself in the prayer you are setting yourself apart from the rest of the group. This can create tension and make it more difficult to get people to listen to your ideas.

And why do the people who don't want to pray have to arrive late or sit out and exclude themselves? Why not the people who want to pray arrive early or pray outside in the hall? The prayer is an addition to the meeting, not a key part of it.

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Mon May 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Good. Just because a few atheists don't like hearing prayers doesn't give them the right to stop other people from praying. If they don't want to do it, they don't have to; the United States has freedom of religion and freedom of expression, and people have the right to pray in public if they want to, and no matter how offended atheists and anti-theists might be by it, they don't have the right to stop it.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Good. Just because a few atheists don't like hearing prayers doesn't give them the right to stop other people from praying. If they don't want to do it, they don't have to; the United States has freedom of religion and freedom of expression, and people have the right to pray in public if they want to, and no matter how offended atheists and anti-theists might be by it, they don't have the right to stop it.

People do have a right to stop government sponsored prayer. The precedent was established with Engel vs. Vitale, which barred administrative-sponsored prayer in schools.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Azinar wrote:
greed and death wrote:Arrive late, sit out in the hallway, or just learn to be an adult and accept elected people may have beliefs that differ from yours and sit quietly through that old guy's prayer.

Ostroeuropa made a good point a few posts ago about sitting through the prayer. By declining to involve yourself in the prayer you are setting yourself apart from the rest of the group. This can create tension and make it more difficult to get people to listen to your ideas.

And why do the people who don't want to pray have to arrive late or sit out and exclude themselves? Why not the people who want to pray arrive early or pray outside in the hall? The prayer is an addition to the meeting, not a key part of it.

I should note that I consider it just as much a faux-pas for the religious to initiate the prayer knowing there are some who will not join in.
I don't think we need concern ourselves with minor faux-pas, but rather the detrimental psychological effects on the meeting.
The point of the exercise, it seems obvious to me at least, is group-bonding and solidarity. It is no longer fit for purpose.

Is it that Christians only wish to bond with other Christians and have no inclination to change the official state rituals to include others?
I have trouble believing that is their conscious decision.
Nonetheless, it is the actual effect of a christian public prayer policy.

There is nothing about a group prayer that is of any particular theological use. No christian I know professes that group prayer is a necessary component to their religion, or even a necessary expression of it. The rationale for public ritual is very obvious, and it's the one I outlined. It's use is entirely social and practical. Nonetheless, by making the group bonding ritual one that does not in fact bridge our differences and unite us in a common purpose, instead only uniting a subsection of the society and utilizing group psychology to pit that subsection against another, the religious have abandoned it's practicality to opt for blatant endorsement of christianity.
There is no reason this should continue.
Everyones professed interests are served by an official silence. The only people who benefit from a public christian prayer instead of an official silence are people attempting to cast religious minorities and atheists in a negative light, and to leverage identity politics for political gain unrelated to them.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon May 05, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Good. Just because a few atheists don't like hearing prayers doesn't give them the right to stop other people from praying. If they don't want to do it, they don't have to; the United States has freedom of religion and freedom of expression, and people have the right to pray in public if they want to, and no matter how offended atheists and anti-theists might be by it, they don't have the right to stop it.

If we can't force our views down your throat, why can you force your views down ours?

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Othelos wrote:People do have a right to stop government sponsored prayer. The precedent was established with Engel vs. Vitale, which barred administrative-sponsored prayer in schools.

Engle vs. Vitale bans prayer in school, and has nothing to do with people praying in government buildings.

Bezombia wrote:If we can't force our views down your throat, why can you force your views down ours?

Nobody is forcing jack shit down your throat by holding non-sectarian, non-mandated prayer. Unless you get forced to do something, you just have to deal with the fact that freedom of speech and freedom of religion means people can pray whenever they want, government property or not.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Azinar wrote:

I believe the SCOTUS view was that the prayer was a ceremonial part of the meeting amd everyone had the same choice to participate or not. No one is being forced to not sit in and equally noone is being forced to not pray . Everyone gets the same choice. Everybody wins:)

And sure I've seen Muslim, Bahai and Wiccan prayer to at council meetings ( not in US though)

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon May 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Nobody is forcing jack shit down your throat by holding non-sectarian, non-mandated prayer. Unless you get forced to do something, you just have to deal with the fact that freedom of speech and freedom of religion means people can pray whenever they want, government property or not.

Bullshit. Respecting the establishment of religion is a violation of the constitution, and no "but muh expression!!1!" is ever going to change that. I would be in total support of the "two minutes of group silence" that was suggested above, but actual open law-mandated prayer is very much illegal and it scares me that the SCOTUS didn't strike it down.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General