NATION

PASSWORD

Town prayer sessions upheld. SCOTUS 5-4

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48700
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Town prayer sessions upheld. SCOTUS 5-4

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 10:47 am

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/05/opini ... ore-209580

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo ... nt-clause/


So in the case of Town of Greece v. Galloway, the Town would open its city council meetings with a prayer and naturally Galloway challenged the practice. It was a nonsectarian prayer but generally Christian. Also important to note the practice of opening council meetings with a prayer only started in 1999. The court ruled such prayers are constitutional because no one was being coerced to join a religion. What might make a government fail the coercion test ? That was split 3 justices in the opinion written by Justice Kennedy said said the coercion test would be satisfied if dissidents were punished or criticized for not joining in the prayer. 2 Justices in a concurrence written by Thomas said the coercion test would be satisfied if dissenters were forced to join a religion.

I think this is the right decision, maybe a tad more expansive then I would have liked. Law students rejoice you might not have to learn the endorsement test now.


So NSG what do you say is this good tolerance of religion or is this an impermissible violations of the establishment clause?
Last edited by Greed and Death on Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Brilliant Equestria
Envoy
 
Posts: 210
Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Brilliant Equestria » Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 am

What a surprise, another 5-4 SCOTUS decision split along purely ideological lines.

greed and death wrote:I think this is the right decision, maybe a tad more expansive then I would have liked. Law students rejoice you might not have to learn the endorsement test now.

No, but you do have to learn the coercion test instead. That means they're allowed to make religion as public as they want as long as they aren't actually coercing you into practicing it. Hell, Thomas and Scalia ruled they can totally coerce you as long as they aren't legally forcing you to!
Last edited by Brilliant Equestria on Mon May 05, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the desk of Lord Bentwing, ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of Her Eternal Highness Brilliant Shimmer
Divine Princess of Brilliant Equestria
Member nation of the Pony Lands
Future tech/fantasy tech absolute monarchy ruled by an epic-level wizard. Also, it's mostly ponies. There are some humans too. We'll probably get along fine as long as you aren't a theocracy.

User avatar
Murkwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7806
Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon May 05, 2014 11:14 am

Yes! Freedom of Religion wins again!
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

User avatar
Kelinfort
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16394
Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon May 05, 2014 11:20 am

Brilliant Equestria wrote:What a surprise, another 5-4 SCOTUS decision split along purely ideological lines.

greed and death wrote:I think this is the right decision, maybe a tad more expansive then I would have liked. Law students rejoice you might not have to learn the endorsement test now.

No, but you do have to learn the coercion test instead. That means they're allowed to make religion as public as they want as long as they aren't actually coercing you into practicing it. Hell, Thomas and Scalia ruled they can totally coerce you as long as they aren't legally forcing you to!

Most of these decision aren't split this way, only the news grabbing ones. When I visited the Court in 2011, they had a 7-2 decision, based on patent law.

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Great Nepal » Mon May 05, 2014 11:21 am

Yes I totally cant see how a prayer led by a clergy, in majority of cases Christian clergy, is endorsement of religion at all. :palm:
I wonder how many times they have called Atheist to open the assembly or how many times they called a Hindu pujari or Buddhist monk or Muslim imam...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Neutraligon
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 31897
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 am

how is a town prayer session any different from a prayer session before the start of a game in high school?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Murkwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7806
Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon May 05, 2014 11:44 am

Great Nepal wrote:Yes I totally cant see how a prayer led by a clergy, in majority of cases Christian clergy, is endorsement of religion at all. :palm:
I wonder how many times they have called Atheist to open the assembly or how many times they called a Hindu pujari or Buddhist monk or Muslim imam...

People volunteered. If a Hindu or Muslim wanted to, they would let them.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

User avatar
Death Metal
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13542
Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am

Murkwood wrote:Yes! Freedom of Religion wins again!


"loses". the word is "loses".
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Great Nepal » Mon May 05, 2014 11:50 am

Murkwood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Yes I totally cant see how a prayer led by a clergy, in majority of cases Christian clergy, is endorsement of religion at all. :palm:
I wonder how many times they have called Atheist to open the assembly or how many times they called a Hindu pujari or Buddhist monk or Muslim imam...

People volunteered. If a Hindu or Muslim wanted to, they would let them.

No, people were invited: "the body may invite anyone in the community to give a prayer, (if it has the money) could have a paid chaplain", I want to know when they invited Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist or an Atheist...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Murkwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7806
Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon May 05, 2014 11:50 am

Death Metal wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Yes! Freedom of Religion wins again!


"loses". the word is "loses".

No one is forced to pray, and anyone can preach any religion. How does religious freedom lose?
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

User avatar
Murkwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7806
Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Murkwood wrote:People volunteered. If a Hindu or Muslim wanted to, they would let them.

No, people were invited: "the body may invite anyone in the community to give a prayer, (if it has the money) could have a paid chaplain", I want to know when they invited Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist or an Atheist...

Why invite an Atheist? Rather counter-intuitive.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

User avatar
Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22137
Founded: May 09, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Agritum » Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 am

Time for a Satanist town prayer mass.
Neoliberal Globalist Ukraine Supporter
Friedmanite Libertarian ALDE Eurofederalist



User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48700
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 11:53 am

Neutraligon wrote:how is a town prayer session any different from a prayer session before the start of a game in high school?

OR any different than the US Congressional Prayer, or State legislature prayer ?

My guess is the age of the people involved. Adults are assumed to be more mature and less subject to coercion than children.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Great Nepal » Mon May 05, 2014 11:53 am

Murkwood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No, people were invited: "the body may invite anyone in the community to give a prayer, (if it has the money) could have a paid chaplain", I want to know when they invited Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist or an Atheist...

Why invite an Atheist? Rather counter-intuitive.

Hey, if opening with a prayer is not endorsing religion then there should be no problem with an atheist leading procession.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Murkwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7806
Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Why invite an Atheist? Rather counter-intuitive.

Hey, if opening with a prayer is not endorsing any religion then there should be no problem with an atheist leading procession.

But why would an Atheist pray? They believe prayers are useless.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

User avatar
Neutraligon
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 31897
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 05, 2014 11:56 am

greed and death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:how is a town prayer session any different from a prayer session before the start of a game in high school?

OR any different than the US Congressional Prayer, or State legislature prayer ?

My guess is the age of the people involved. Adults are assumed to be more mature and less subject to coercion than children.


I would assume that people at the state legislature or in the US congress are both adults...I think.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Neutraligon
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 31897
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 am

Murkwood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Hey, if opening with a prayer is not endorsing any religion then there should be no problem with an atheist leading procession.

But why would an Atheist pray? They believe prayers are useless.


If there is no religious purpose then their should be no problem with an atheist saying a few words to open the meeting. It doesn't have to be a prayer.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
European Socialist Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4844
Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby European Socialist Republic » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 am

Murkwood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Hey, if opening with a prayer is not endorsing any religion then there should be no problem with an atheist leading procession.

But why would an Atheist pray? They believe prayers are useless.

Instead of praying we could give arguments for evolution, Big Bang, global warming etc.
Last edited by European Socialist Republic on Mon May 05, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -7
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.9
I am a far-left moderate social libertarian.
Left: 9.13
Libertarian: 2.62
Non-interventionalist: 7.34
Cultural liberal: 9.12
I am a Trotskyist.
Cosmopolitan: 71%
Secular: 80%
Visionary: 62%
Anarchistic: 43%
Communistic: 78%
Pacifist: 40%
Anthropocentric: 50%

Legalize Tyranny, Impeach the Twenty-second Amendment, Term Limits are Theft, Barack Obama 2016!
HOI4

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Great Nepal » Mon May 05, 2014 11:59 am

Murkwood wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Hey, if opening with a prayer is not endorsing any religion then there should be no problem with an atheist leading procession.

But why would an Atheist pray? They believe prayers are useless.

Because why not?
I mean, its non religious then an atheist should be able to conduct the ceremony as well as a Christian.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Murkwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7806
Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon May 05, 2014 12:00 pm

European Socialist Republic wrote:
Murkwood wrote:But why would an Atheist pray? They believe prayers are useless.

Instead of praying we could give arguments for evolution, Big Bang, global warming etc.

Because only atheists believe those. :roll:
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48700
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
greed and death wrote:OR any different than the US Congressional Prayer, or State legislature prayer ?

My guess is the age of the people involved. Adults are assumed to be more mature and less subject to coercion than children.


I would assume that people at the state legislature or in the US congress are both adults...I think.

And state legislature prayer has been upheld as well.
Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783 (1983)
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
European Socialist Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4844
Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby European Socialist Republic » Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Murkwood wrote:
European Socialist Republic wrote:Instead of praying we could give arguments for evolution, Big Bang, global warming etc.

Because only atheists believe those. :roll:

I don't think that was implied... but I believe it is more common amongst the religious in America to not believe in those.
Economic Left/Right: -7
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.9
I am a far-left moderate social libertarian.
Left: 9.13
Libertarian: 2.62
Non-interventionalist: 7.34
Cultural liberal: 9.12
I am a Trotskyist.
Cosmopolitan: 71%
Secular: 80%
Visionary: 62%
Anarchistic: 43%
Communistic: 78%
Pacifist: 40%
Anthropocentric: 50%

Legalize Tyranny, Impeach the Twenty-second Amendment, Term Limits are Theft, Barack Obama 2016!
HOI4

User avatar
Neutraligon
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 31897
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 05, 2014 12:04 pm

greed and death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
I would assume that people at the state legislature or in the US congress are both adults...I think.

And state legislature prayer has been upheld as well.
Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783 (1983)


Which I still don't get. Ah well.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
Threlizdun
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15559
Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 pm

SCOTUS fails to enforce the separation of church and state again. How unsurprising.
Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist,
Sex-Positive Feminist, Queer, Trans-woman, Polyamorous

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48700
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Mon May 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Threlizdun wrote:SCOTUS fails to enforce the separation of church and state again. How unsurprising.

No SCOTUS has defined this as not violating the separation of church and state.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Attempted Socialism, Bienenhalde, Diopolis, Duvniask, Eastfield Lodge, EastKekistan, Fartsniffage, Fractalnavel, Google Adsense [Bot], Jebslund, Lady Scylla, New Legland, Page, Proctopeo, Rio Cana, Rojava Free State, Solarist VZ, Upper Secundus, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads