NATION

PASSWORD

Seat Belts Shouldn't Be Mandatory

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should seat belt laws be removed?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes : 585

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 am

Liberaxia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:I did not claim that they do. I merely claimed that contracts show what is and what is not covered.

Either way, substituting contracts for actual law is a poor idea.

:palm:
Contracts are voluntary agreements between two or more parties.

Laws are nothing of the sort.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri May 09, 2014 10:39 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Liberaxia wrote:
Either way, substituting contracts for actual law is a poor idea.

And?
Favors: Civil Libertarianism, Constitutional Democratic Republicanism, Multilateralism, Freedom of Commerce, Popular Sovereignty, Intellectual Property, Fiat Currency, Competition Law, Intergovernmentalism, Privacy Rights
Opposes: The Security State, The Police State, Mob Rule, Traditionalism, Theocracy, Monarchism, Paternalism, Religious Law, Debt
Your friendly pro-commerce, anti-market nation.
On libertarians: The ideology whose major problem is the existence of other people with different views.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 am

Liberaxia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote: :palm:

And?

And you make no sense. You cannot substitute one for the other.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Castleara
Civilian

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Castleara » Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 am

TheTechnically Insane wrote:A law that can punish someone for NOT doing something that affects no one but the person choosing not to do it absolutely should not exist. It's as absurd as it is unconstitutional. The idea that the government gets to mandate something that I do or don't do inside a vehicle that I bought and paid for myself is sickening.
I, personally, am not a seat belt user. Never have been, never will be. Are they a good idea in some cases? Probably. Is it my choice to assume the risk by not wearing it? Absolutely.

I'm a driver and I've been in an accident on more than one occasion. Every time I was wearing my seat belt. If I hadn't been wearing it, I would have likely been seriously hurt because during one of those accidents my driver's side airbag did NOT engage when it probably should have.

Seat belts save lives, and this is one law NO ONE should have issues with. Seat belts are simple and relatively cheap to install. Complying with this one law is something that requires only a few seconds to do, increases your chances of avoiding injury in the event an accident happens, and has been proven to save lives ever since the law went into existence over fifty years ago.

Do what you want, but I can't stand it when people blatantly refuse to follow laws based on common sense. Partly because growing up I suffered unnecessarily because my mom was one of those types who constantly questioned authority and assumed that everything was a scam by the government, and partly because IRL I have to deal with the messes and hardships these attitudes often result in.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:And fraudulent insurance claims break contracts and still pay out billions every year.
With legal protections in place.

Fraud laws are a way of protecting the industry and people who use the industry. In some insurance industries, literally everyone.

Laws do not prevent fraud.

but they a do a better job of preventing it than contracts.
I don't see snake oil or colloidal silver in the stores anymore.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Fri May 09, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Laws do not prevent fraud.

but they a do a better job of preventing it than contracts.

Because you said so?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:but they a do a better job of preventing it than contracts.

Because you said so?

because there is no way for contracts to prevent them, since they are entirely voluntary.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Because you said so?

because there is no way for contracts to prevent them, since they are entirely voluntary.

So what if they are voluntary? Your explanation does not explain anything.

Contracts lay out the terms. They may also, lay out the penalties for breach of contract.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Pharthan wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:I love that a simple statement about having not heard the particular ultra-rare occurrence ( bodies thrown from a car hitting people)used as justification for seatbelts, and somehow people make similar statement about how they can't understand how that could have happened. It has a weird symmetry.
It's just kind of surprising. Seatbelt laws, for most people, are things driven into your head from the beginning of your actual physical memory by your parents, and usually associated with the dangers of becoming a human projectile as soon as you can understand basic laws of physics and the concept of death.
ok, I predate seatbelt laws, this may be the reason in and of itself.
as I said I have never heard the risk of killing other people, by hitting them with your body, used as justification until this thread.

That's a poor parallel, unless people are actively trying to commit suicide by getting into a vehicular crash. People don't kill themselves out of laziness, rebelliousness, or sheer stupidity (i.e. "I don't want to wear it becomes it's not comfortable," when they actually make adjustment sleeves for seatbelts for that expressed purpose. Usually used for children.)

#4 was more intended as a point of 'why be against this law' as opposed to being a reason for it.

because I am against pointless, unnecessary laws.

oh and people kill themselves out of laziness, rebelliousness, or sheer stupidity all the time,
I don't need a law to tell me this is a bad idea, and for the people that do, I not sure I want them around to invent equally stupid ways of killing other people.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Fri May 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Seatbelts are in everybody's best interest. Don't want to wear it? I can name a couple of tricks:

1. Click it when you're about to get a ticket, if a cop catches you speeding and you pull over, put on your seatbelt real quick before the cop comes to your window.
2. Drive really carefully, like, on an abandoned road. Away from forests, and buildings, and lampposts, and human civilization… just drive sluggishly in the desert, ok?
3. Never get in a car unless you have to. Can't wear a seatbelt if you're not in a car, right?
4. All else fails, have a good life insurance policy.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Fri May 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Pharthan wrote: It's just kind of surprising. Seatbelt laws, for most people, are things driven into your head from the beginning of your actual physical memory by your parents, and usually associated with the dangers of becoming a human projectile as soon as you can understand basic laws of physics and the concept of death.
ok, I predate seatbelt laws, this may be the reason in and of itself.
as I said I have never heard the risk of killing other people, by hitting them with your body, used as justification until this thread.

oh and people kill themselves out of laziness, rebelliousness, or sheer stupidity all the time,
I don't need a law to tell me this is a bad idea, and for the people that do, I not sure I want them around to invent equally stupid ways of killing other people.

As I have suggested before, remove the warning labels and the stupidity epidemic will all but go away. :p
Last edited by The Fascist American Empire on Fri May 09, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:because there is no way for contracts to prevent them, since they are entirely voluntary.

So what if they are voluntary? Your explanation does not explain anything.

Contracts lay out the terms. They may also, lay out the penalties for breach of contract.

penalties you are free to ignore.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 2:33 pm

The Fascist American Empire wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

As I have suggested before, remove the warning labels and the stupidity epidemic will all but go away. :p

Warning labels are not there to prevent stupid people from hurting themselves. Warning labels are there to prevent lawsuits.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sailsia
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sailsia » Fri May 09, 2014 2:34 pm

They should be mandatory for minors.
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:So what if they are voluntary? Your explanation does not explain anything.

penalties you are free to ignore.

No, that's not how contracts work.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:penalties you are free to ignore.

sure it is, whats to stop someone from ignoring a contract once they get what they want?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri May 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Sociobiology wrote:

sure it is, whats to stop someone from ignoring a contract once they get what they want?

We've been over this, haven't we?
Sibirsky wrote:You said unoccupied. How is it unoccupied if there is a school on it?

Empty does not mean unoccupied.

The insurer of the people that sued you, will hire a bounty hunter to capture you, if you refuse to comply with the ruling, or appeal it in some fashion.

Of course, it's just as stupid as it was then.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:sure it is, whats to stop someone from ignoring a contract once they get what they want?

We've been over this, haven't we?

no actually Sib, never answered this point.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri May 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:We've been over this, haven't we?

no actually Sib, never answered this point.

That was my point, actually. Throughout that entire conversation, and I suspect this to continue through this one, he NEVER actually addresses that core issue. It's just "bounty hunters!" or some other cop out that is never actually explained in detail.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:no actually Sib, never answered this point.

That was my point, actually. Throughout that entire conversation, and I suspect this to continue through this one, he NEVER actually addresses that core issue. It's just "bounty hunters!" or some other cop out that is never actually explained in detail.

which is why a single simple back and forth, like the one we were having, might be more productive.

also it is just as much for others as Sib. I doubt Sib with change his/her mind.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Sociobiology wrote:

The fact that they stop making money from that contract and a breach of contract lawsuit.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:That was my point, actually. Throughout that entire conversation, and I suspect this to continue through this one, he NEVER actually addresses that core issue. It's just "bounty hunters!" or some other cop out that is never actually explained in detail.

which is why a single simple back and forth, like the one we were having, might be more productive.

also it is just as much for others as Sib. I doubt Sib with change his/her mind.

If I do, it won't because of you. You're not making any sense.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:no actually Sib, never answered this point.

It's not a cop out. It has been addressed, at length, by myself and others.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri May 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:That was my point, actually. Throughout that entire conversation, and I suspect this to continue through this one, he NEVER actually addresses that core issue. It's just "bounty hunters!" or some other cop out that is never actually explained in detail.

It's not a cop out. It has been addressed, at length, by myself and others.

If by "at length," you mean repeating that cop out over and over and over and hope it sticks.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri May 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:sure it is, whats to stop someone from ignoring a contract once they get what they want?

The fact that they stop making money from that contract and

I have underlined the two contradictory points.
you don't get to ignore my conditional and then use the exact opposite condition, that is called a red herring.
Or were you not aware that it was possible for contracts to have time disparate events?
Or do you not understand what the majority of fraud is?
a breach of contract lawsuit.

also that means contracts only work, if laws are their to hold them up, if law is the keystone, why not just have a law preventing the behavior instead of wasting time on an extra step.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General