NATION

PASSWORD

Seat Belts Shouldn't Be Mandatory

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should seat belt laws be removed?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes : 585

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue May 06, 2014 2:55 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:or there is a difference between deadly projectile and being injured because you are projectile. You might want to go back and read the post that started this little tangent.

Also do you know what the word justification means?

You are aware that when someone flies out if their car (or in their car) and hits someone else, they can cause injury or death to the other person, correct?

what part of "I have never heard anyone use that as justification" is giving you trouble, because you seem to think it means I don't think it can happen?
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

JeebusCrust
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby JeebusCrust » Tue May 06, 2014 2:57 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Pharthan wrote:I think the primary argument of the "Should be Mandatory," group should be "Why not make it mandatory?" No one's presented a logical argument as to "why not" other than sincerely unfounded feelings of entitlement. The government shouldn't have to do the job your parents should have done in teaching you to not be a fool, but if it has to protect it's people from your idiocy, then it needs to.

When you, as a backseat passenger, can achieve sufficient momentum to kill the driver in front of you by impaling him with your teeth through a headrest, I think the word "Physics" is enough to make this a necessary law. Thanks Driver's Ed classes for that imagery I'll never get out of my head.

As much as I've started to conform to Libertarian ideals, some of their extremes strike me as outright dumb, and severely undereducated.

Now if we protected people from idiocy, then only idiots would live.

I do think there should be some law in place, but make it less overarching (e.g. If you are the only person in the car or going very slow)

If you're driving incredibly slow, I find it unlikely a police officer would enforce the law anyway.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Tue May 06, 2014 3:01 am

We've decided as a society that we won't let people die even if their injuries are the result of their own stupidity, and that we pay for it if necessary.
We've also decided that people who are a serious threat to themselves can be stopped from harming themselves, if necessary by force.

Between those two, seatbelt laws are perfectly fine.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:You are aware that when someone flies out if their car (or in their car) and hits someone else, they can cause injury or death to the other person, correct?

what part of "I have never heard anyone use that as justification" is giving you trouble, because you seem to think it means I don't think it can happen?

The fact that it is so hard to believe, if you have heard any arguments for seat belts, to not have heard the biggest and most important one.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Tue May 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:You are aware that when someone flies out if their car (or in their car) and hits someone else, they can cause injury or death to the other person, correct?

What, have you not bothered simply using Google? If you look up "seatbelt laws" it's pretty easy to find that being one of the primary reasons given.

You may not have heard that, but pretty much everyone else here has.

Reasons why seatbelt laws are valid:
1) So you don't become a projectile and kill/injure others.
2) Protect you from yourself.
3) Protect the taxpayers and/or hospital from having to pay for your injuries if you can't foot the bill yourself. Protecting the taxpayers from your stupidity, essentially. Increased insurance costs, medical, et cetera.
4) Why the hell wouldn't you buckle up?
Last edited by Pharthan on Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Pharthan wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

What, have you not bothered simply using Google? If you look up "seatbelt laws" it's pretty easy to find that being one of the primary reasons given.

3) Protect the taxpayers and/or hospital from having to pay for your injuries if you can't foot the bill yourself. Protecting the taxpayers from your stupidity, essentially. Increased insurance costs, medical, et cetera.

I love that a simple statement about having not heard the particular ultra-rare occurrence ( bodies thrown from a car hitting people)used as justification for seatbelts, and somehow people make similar statement about how they can't understand how that could have happened. It has a weird symmetry.

Also 4 is not a reason to have a law.
why the hell would people put a gun to their head and pull the trigger, we don't need a law telling them not to.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue May 06, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue May 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Pharthan wrote:What, have you not bothered simply using Google? If you look up "seatbelt laws" it's pretty easy to find that being one of the primary reasons given.

I love that a simple statement about having not heard the particular ultra-rare occurrence ( bodies thrown from a car hitting people)used as justification for seatbelts, and somehow people make similar statement about how they can't understand how that could have happened. It has a weird symmetry.

why the hell would people put a gun to their head and pull the trigger, we don't need a law telling them not to.

I do believe you give people too much credit. :lol: But seriously, in the absent of such a law one might arguably be able to get away with life insurance fraud of some sort. I admit it's a stretch but given the way courts seem to entertain more and more ridiculous arguments these days. :)

Also 2 is an equally invalid reason for a law in this instance to be sure. and reason 1 just doesn't happen enough to my knowledge to justify legislation either (though I fully admit it could conceivably happen and no doubt there is anecdotal evidence to support out there.)
3 could likely be largely mitigated though, I admit it would be the easiest task ever undertaken. Perhaps some form of seat belt less insurance rider. ;)

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 am

Sociobiology wrote:I love that a simple statement about having not heard the particular ultra-rare occurrence ( bodies thrown from a car hitting people)used as justification for seatbelts, and somehow people make similar statement about how they can't understand how that could have happened. It has a weird symmetry.
It's just kind of surprising. Seatbelt laws, for most people, are things driven into your head from the beginning of your actual physical memory by your parents, and usually associated with the dangers of becoming a human projectile as soon as you can understand basic laws of physics and the concept of death.

That's a poor parallel, unless people are actively trying to commit suicide by getting into a vehicular crash. People don't kill themselves out of laziness, rebelliousness, or sheer stupidity (i.e. "I don't want to wear it becomes it's not comfortable," when they actually make adjustment sleeves for seatbelts for that expressed purpose. Usually used for children.)

#4 was more intended as a point of 'why be against this law' as opposed to being a reason for it.

Llamalandia wrote:Also 2 is an equally invalid reason for a law in this instance to be sure. and reason 1 just doesn't happen enough to my knowledge to justify legislation either (though I fully admit it could conceivably happen and no doubt there is anecdotal evidence to support out there.)
3 could likely be largely mitigated though, I admit it would be the easiest task ever undertaken. Perhaps some form of seat belt less insurance rider. ;)

For #1, It was always impressed upon me that it was prevalent enough, or at least horrific enough. I've got a fair number of graphic images burned into my brain by Driver's Ed scare tactics.
For #2, Depends on your views.
For #3, The way to mitigate it is to let seatbeltless accident victims deal with their injuries themselves, or die if it comes down to it.
Last edited by Pharthan on Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed May 07, 2014 8:34 am

Llamalandia wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

I do believe you give people too much credit. :lol: But seriously, in the absent of such a law one might arguably be able to get away with life insurance fraud of some sort. I admit it's a stretch but given the way courts seem to entertain more and more ridiculous arguments these days. :)

Also 2 is an equally invalid reason for a law in this instance to be sure. and reason 1 just doesn't happen enough to my knowledge to justify legislation either (though I fully admit it could conceivably happen and no doubt there is anecdotal evidence to support out there.)

Insurers don't need laws to prevent fraud.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Wed May 07, 2014 8:41 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:

Insurers don't need laws to prevent fraud.

Um, yes they do.
Favors: Civil Libertarianism, Constitutional Democratic Republicanism, Multilateralism, Freedom of Commerce, Popular Sovereignty, Intellectual Property, Fiat Currency, Competition Law, Intergovernmentalism, Privacy Rights
Opposes: The Security State, The Police State, Mob Rule, Traditionalism, Theocracy, Monarchism, Paternalism, Religious Law, Debt
Your friendly pro-commerce, anti-market nation.
On libertarians: The ideology whose major problem is the existence of other people with different views.

Qeno
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Qeno » Wed May 07, 2014 8:43 am

Pharthan wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

This is why the United states isn't the land of the free (in my opinion)
and I also have a counter argument

1) You can't kill or injure anyone if there is a hard sheet of safety glass in the way
2) Velocity goes in only one direction therefore the seat in front of you or the glove compartment would stop you from becoming a projectile
3) The taxpayers pay into the system anyway regardless if you wear the seat belt or not
4) Land of the free would allow people to make their own decisions, let him/her make theirs!
Last edited by Qeno on Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Desired Tech Level: Future Tech
My nation's pronounciation: Key-No
National government: A imperialist constitutional monarchy with a matriarch as a ruler and an assembly to advise her will
Anti-realist in RPs

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 am

Liberaxia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Insurers don't need laws to prevent fraud.

Um, yes they do.

:palm:

No, they don't. They can simply state what is and what is not covered in the contract. Do you understand how contracts work, or do we need to mandate that too?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Wed May 07, 2014 8:49 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Liberaxia wrote:
Um, yes they do.

No, they don't. They can simply state what is and what is not covered in the contract. Do you understand how contracts work, or do we need to mandate that too?

Meh. Contracts are only one part of the law and have always been a peripheral subject for me. I find the libertarian position of property+contracts to be a simplistic and uninformed view of law, totally leaving out other areas like IP, trademarks, aviation law, family, environmental law, privacy rights, personality rights, speeding, military law, and many areas of criminal law.
Favors: Civil Libertarianism, Constitutional Democratic Republicanism, Multilateralism, Freedom of Commerce, Popular Sovereignty, Intellectual Property, Fiat Currency, Competition Law, Intergovernmentalism, Privacy Rights
Opposes: The Security State, The Police State, Mob Rule, Traditionalism, Theocracy, Monarchism, Paternalism, Religious Law, Debt
On libertarians: The ideology whose major problem is the existence of other people with different views.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed May 07, 2014 8:53 am

Liberaxia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote: :palm:

Meh. Contracts are only one part of the law and have always been a peripheral subject for me.

It shows.

I find the libertarian position of property+contracts to be a simplistic and uninformed view of law, totally leaving out other areas like IP, trademarks, aviation law, family, environmental law, privacy rights, personality rights, speeding, military law, and many areas of criminal law.

Oh and you're so well informed? All of those are covered. Insurers would protect themselves. This is not rocket science.

What the fuck are personality rights?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 am

Sibirsky wrote:What the fuck are personality rights?

See this

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am

Liberaxia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:What the fuck are personality rights?

See this

That's dealt with also.

You have a very poor understanding of libertarian philosophy and you troll libertarians in every thread.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Thu May 08, 2014 2:25 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Liberaxia wrote:
Um, yes they do.

And fraudulent insurance claims break contracts and still pay out billions every year.
With legal protections in place.

Fraud laws are a way of protecting the industry and people who use the industry. In some insurance industries, literally everyone.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Corumm
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Corumm » Thu May 08, 2014 3:03 am

OP is dumb, hope he crashes and is propelled out of the car's windshield.

Benshir
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Benshir » Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 am

Ramifications go beyond person in question who does not want to wear a seatbelt. Other people may be affected.

Keep seat-belt laws.
Married to The Holy Therns. Let the spice flow.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Pharthan wrote:I think the primary argument of the "Should be Mandatory," group should be "Why not make it mandatory?" No one's presented a logical argument as to "why not" other than sincerely unfounded feelings of entitlement. The government shouldn't have to do the job your parents should have done in teaching you to not be a fool, but if it has to protect it's people from your idiocy, then it needs to.

When you, as a backseat passenger, can achieve sufficient momentum to kill the driver in front of you by impaling him with your teeth through a headrest, I think the word "Physics" is enough to make this a necessary law. Thanks Driver's Ed classes for that imagery I'll never get out of my head.

As much as I've started to conform to Libertarian ideals, some of their extremes strike me as outright dumb, and severely undereducated.

Now if we protected people from idiocy, then only idiots would live.

I do think there should be some law in place, but make it less overarching (e.g. If you are the only person in the car or going very slow)

Even if you didn't become a projectile and hurt others directly, you are still hurting people by not wearing a seatbelt.

If you get into a car crash and are not wearing a seatbelt, you will be more severely injured than if you did.

Because you would be more severely injured, healthcare costs will be larger. Unless you are a member of the wealthy elite you will not be able to dish out the money needed to pay for your hospital visit so that money will have to come from the government or the insurance company.

Because you didn't wear a seatbelt, you were more severely injured and more money had to be spent to patch you together.

This means higher taxes or insurance premiums for everyone else in society and financial loss to your employer which will need to adapt with cost saving measures that costs other employees and customers money too.

Getting into a crash wearing a seatbelt hurts everyone, not just you.
Now, you can say that refusal to wear a seat belt is a victimless crime and shouldn't be punished. The thing is though that unlike many victimless crimes you can never eliminate the risk of getting into a car accident, no matter how carefully you drive and how well maintained your car is.
Last edited by Tule on Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 10:19 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote: :palm:

And fraudulent insurance claims break contracts and still pay out billions every year.

Fraud laws are a way of protecting the industry and people who use the industry. In some insurance industries, literally everyone.

Laws do not prevent fraud.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:And fraudulent insurance claims break contracts and still pay out billions every year.

Laws do not prevent fraud.

Then neither do contracts.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 am

Liberaxia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Laws do not prevent fraud.

I did not claim that they do. I merely claimed that contracts show what is and what is not covered.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri May 09, 2014 10:32 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Liberaxia wrote:

I did not claim that they do. I merely claimed that contracts show what is and what is not covered.

Either way, substituting contracts for actual law is a poor idea.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 am

Corumm wrote:OP is dumb, hope he crashes and is propelled out of the car's windshield.

Unofficial warning for trolling. Wishing bodily harm on other people is not acceptable here.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General