NATION

PASSWORD

Is the Internet a CIA project?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Fools! It is, created by Nixon himself. You've all been his puppets!
Last edited by The Sotoan Union on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:Fools! It is, created by Nixon himself. you've all been his puppets!

I'm pretty sure Mike's not old enough to have invented the internet.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Horizont
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Horizont » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Tin-foil hat time again.
Last edited by Horizont on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Imperial Tevinter wrote:So yesterday President Putin blasted the internet as a "CIA Project".
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/a ... ternet-cia

There is a growing consensus that the internet may in fact have an ulterior purpose for the purpose of espionage. This idea has gained traction since the leaks of Edward Snowden.

So what do we do?

The Guardian seems to think that President Putin may seek to dismantle the interwebz of Russia and create a purely Russian alternative to what is today know as the global internet. Apparently Germany and Brazil are thinking of similiar ideas. China already has its awed "Great Firewall" though I'm not totally sure if thats the same as what Putin is potentially proposing. North Korea also has an national intranet I believe..

So would it be beneficial to segment the internet for the sake of national security, this is the question.

EDIT: If the Internet is indeed a CIA project, then I recognize that this is probably being monitored. Please be aware that if you post it is possible that American intelligence is recording it. I think its worth the risk though to have a discussion.

if it was at any single point in history exclusively a CIA project we are way past that point now, the internet is so much more...

Fesconia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fesconia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:24 pm

The Internet is NOT a CIA project. It's just not possible. Such a huge data network cannot be monitored completely by the CIA. It's just not possible.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Imperial Tevinter wrote:So yesterday President Putin blasted the internet as a "CIA Project".

There is a growing consensus that the internet may in fact have an ulterior purpose for the purpose of espionage. This idea has gained traction since the leaks of Edward Snowden.

...among whom? :eyebrow:
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:

...among whom? :eyebrow:

The voices in his head.
Go Vikings.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Fesconia wrote:The Internet is NOT a CIA project. It's just not possible. Such a huge data network cannot be monitored completely by the CIA. It's just not possible.

Unless... One in seven is a CIA agent... On the planet...

Trustno1
I've retired from the forums.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Fesconia wrote:The Internet is NOT a CIA project. It's just not possible. Such a huge data network cannot be monitored completely by the CIA. It's just not possible.

Right. They do HUMINT. ELINT/SIGINT is NSA. :p
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Fesconia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fesconia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:34 pm

Nervium wrote:

Trustno1

Then that means one in seven of the people on this forum are CIA agents.

Cu Math
Senator

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cu Math » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Technically semi-true. The internet started as Arpanet under DARPA and with some input from the CIA as a way to facilitate government info sharing. But as of now, no it isn't.
Those who are not willing to support us are second-rate nations, but first-rate main courses.
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
From the Council of Terrible Elders
Distributor of Potato Medals
Acolyte of the NSG Sodomy Club
Requiescat In Pacem, Dyakovo. You were the best of us
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Divair's Big Guide to Proving Evolution
Atheist, Bisexual and Bagpiper
Palestinian-Scottish-American

The One And Only Duke Of The Potato

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:37 pm

No, it's a DARPA project.

[/thread]
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Death Metal wrote:No, it's a DARPA project.

[/thread]

This.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Fesconia wrote:
Nervium wrote:

Trustno1

Then that means one in seven of the people on this forum are CIA agents.

Yes. 8)

Code: Select all
You can tell me the name of any possible criminal domestic or foreign, I shall not hold you accountable.
Last edited by Nervium on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've retired from the forums.

Indira
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Imperial Tevinter wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:If that's anything more than nonsense spouted by an ex-KGB officer, that's a mindfuck.

I think it has some credence

Certainly it has credence. The same amount of credence that I would put on this working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf00mEe9EOs

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:No one's breaking the law by mentioning the CIA and some sort of inane conspiracy theory.
Just don't mention the No Such Agency...

(whoops...)
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:14 pm

Some better tell Tim Bernes-Lee that.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Divair2
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:18 pm

No. Putin is doing this to justify censorship.

Kyuji
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:18 pm

No , it's not a CIA project but facebook is.
Pro :Voluntary Cannibalism (in other words the kind where people willingly offer themselves up as food) , Freedom of speech , The Austro-Hungarian Empire , The Ottoman Empire , Taoism , Gay Marriage, Martial Arts , Madoka , Kyubey
Anti :Racism , Israel , Homphobia , Bigotry , North Korea , Krav Maga, Russia

Kola Republic
Attaché

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kola Republic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:19 pm

Imperial Tevinter wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:No, but I'm seriously beginning to think Putin might be...

Of course.
An enemy created to give a sense of struggle to the world, thus solidifying the purpose of the CIA and the MIC. Americans weren't gonna be satisfied shooting mud huts with sky robots. We needed a real adversary and here it is. The Great Bear has risen again! WAR IS PEACE

I see it. I don't agree, but I see it.

No, it's a Tim Berners-Lee Intelligence Agency project.
And why are you spewing anti-American bullshit, 'cause you heard about how the Stone Age religious oppressors, all 500 million of them, were shot from 60,000 feet with a giant MQ-70000 World Devastator drone armed with nuclear cruise missiles by the ebil USA?
The Principality of Kola is a constitutional monarchy within the Federal Republic of Kanaria, located in the northwest on the Kola Peninsula. The population is 30 million. It's slightly larger than California and much colder and Russian. The capital city is Baytown-Saint Petersburg.

The United Earth Conclave
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Earth Conclave » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:20 pm

So sayeth the Putin bible

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Kyuji wrote:No , it's not a CIA project but facebook is.

I could see Facebook being an NSA project more than CIA. Facebook is just a way to get people to make private information available to everyone.
Go Vikings.

LiamHerndon
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby LiamHerndon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Although the internet is very possibly being monitored by the CIA, it would be going quite far to say that that is the only motive.

Also, I would like to wish any CIA agent monitoring this a good day.
Last edited by LiamHerndon on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiamHerndon- Communist office supply lover. Got a problem with it? Don't.

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Generation 33 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Help this gentleman gain world domination by putting this is your signiture.
_[`]_
(-_Q)

☻/ This is Bob, copy & paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world.

[color=#008000]______
-------- Copy and
|---|---| paste this into
|---|---| your sig for
|__|__|PANTS
[/color]

Kola Republic
Attaché

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kola Republic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Divair2 wrote:No. Putin is doing this to justify censorship.

^This. Putin wants to recreate the Great Wall of Russia...as the Great Firewall of Russia!
oh wait...Russia has no firewalls, just snow demons.
"Do not worry, the CIA project to get the world burning a trillion tons of fossil fuels is underway. Russia's great snow demon army shall fall! MWAAHAHAHAHAHAGAHAAAAAAAA!"
The Principality of Kola is a constitutional monarchy within the Federal Republic of Kanaria, located in the northwest on the Kola Peninsula. The population is 30 million. It's slightly larger than California and much colder and Russian. The capital city is Baytown-Saint Petersburg.

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm

The Lunar Domain wrote:Another thing is that any organization CANNOT plausibly monitor every single bit of information on the internet. If that was possible, they would somehow be monitoring over five million terabytes of data, (the figure's from the CEO of Google, who gave an estimate) and even if they managed to accomplish that, imagine how much work would need to be done to keep up with the thousands upon thousands of bytes that are added every minute to the Internet.

Semi-relevent... (Food for thought, rather than any particular point. Especially when it comes to imagining such quantities as punched cards.)
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General