NATION

PASSWORD

Should religious organizations be exempt from tax in the US?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The United Brony Armies
Envoy

Founded: Jan 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Brony Armies » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 am

Ixzara wrote:
The United Brony Armies wrote:I have to disagree. Because half of the people who came to America to settle were escaping Christianity and the persecutions along with the king, the other half were just escaping the king. Christianity did not shape America, if it did we would be a theocracy.

Although admittedly, it was used as justification for a few travesties in American history. Namely slavery and opposition to interracial marriage.

It shouldn't be. We shouldn't teach kids that its OK to kill people and enslave them if you're doing it in the name of your god. That's called hiding from the truth, no one wants to say "We were wrong" so instead we say "The religion was wrong". See the problem?
"Every voting citizen needs to know and respect the rights and responsibilities laid out in the Constitution and its amendments if he/she is to defend those rights and execute those responsibilities with his/her vote and thereby defend the freedoms and rights that make America the great place it is. Voting isn't just a right; it's a responsibility, and we should never bestow that responsibility on a person who cannot execute it faithfully and with proven knowledge of the system in which he/she is voting." New Bierstaat
Anti: Religion (especially exemption from taxes), gun control, violation of human rights
For: Equal rights, capital punishment, tighter border control

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am

The United Brony Armies wrote:
Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Religion is often used as an excuse to be racist/homophobic/etcetera, but that doesn't mean that religion itself is racist or homophobic. I've seen tons of homophobic atheists, and several racist atheists, who use tons of different excuses to justify their hate. People are hateful, and will look for any excuse to justify that hate; getting rid of religion won't change that.

I have never once met an Atheist Homophobe. Know why? Because there is no non-religious reason to oppose anything against any one human being. Think about it, even religions hate on other religions because they both think they're right. Religion is seeping with hate and as an Atheist it frustrates me that you cannot say the plain truth without offending 90% of the population.

You've seriously never seen an atheist homophobe? I've seen at least three just on this forum alone who call homosexuality a disease. It's a fucking lie to say that there's no non-religious reason to hate someone; that's the most bullshit thing I've ever heard. Hell, even the fucking Nazis didn't use religion as a justification to throw homosexuals in concentration camps.

The United Brony Armies
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Brony Armies » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 am

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:
The United Brony Armies wrote:I have never once met an Atheist Homophobe. Know why? Because there is no non-religious reason to oppose anything against any one human being. Think about it, even religions hate on other religions because they both think they're right. Religion is seeping with hate and as an Atheist it frustrates me that you cannot say the plain truth without offending 90% of the population.

You've seriously never seen an atheist homophobe? I've seen at least three just on this forum alone who call homosexuality a disease. It's a fucking lie to say that there's no non-religious reason to hate someone; that's the most bullshit thing I've ever heard. Hell, even the fucking Nazis didn't use religion as a justification to throw homosexuals in concentration camps.

I don't consider any Atheist a Homophobe because the American Psychiatric Institute removed homosexuality from the list of Mental disorders so they have no grounds to argue.
http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/faculty_s ... ealth.html
"Every voting citizen needs to know and respect the rights and responsibilities laid out in the Constitution and its amendments if he/she is to defend those rights and execute those responsibilities with his/her vote and thereby defend the freedoms and rights that make America the great place it is. Voting isn't just a right; it's a responsibility, and we should never bestow that responsibility on a person who cannot execute it faithfully and with proven knowledge of the system in which he/she is voting." New Bierstaat
Anti: Religion (especially exemption from taxes), gun control, violation of human rights

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:36 am

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:You've seriously never seen an atheist homophobe? I've seen at least three just on this forum alone who call homosexuality a disease. It's a fucking lie to say that there's no non-religious reason to hate someone; that's the most bullshit thing I've ever heard. Hell, even the fucking Nazis didn't use religion as a justification to throw homosexuals in concentration camps.

I don't consider any Atheist a Homophobe because the American Psychiatric Institute removed homosexuality from the list of Mental disorders so they have no grounds to argue.

So, the people who have said to my fucking face that they want me to die or be imprisoned for being gay aren't homophobes? Because the United States government doesn't consider homosexuality a mental disorder, the atheists who openly state that people like me should die aren't homophobes? Do you see the fucking problem with that statement?

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37 am

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:Religion is often used as an excuse to be racist/homophobic/etcetera, but that doesn't mean that religion itself is racist or homophobic. I've seen tons of homophobic atheists, and several racist atheists, who use tons of different excuses to justify their hate. People are hateful, and will look for any excuse to justify that hate; getting rid of religion won't change that.

I have never once met an Atheist Homophobe.

I've met heaps of them.
Know why? Because there is no non-religious reason to oppose anything against any one human being.

That's just silly. Of course there is. You can disagree with someone's lifestyle for whatever asinine reason you choose, religious or not.
Yes.

Ixzara
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ixzara » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:04 am

The United Brony Armies wrote:I don't consider any Atheist a Homophobe because the American Psychiatric Institute removed homosexuality from the list of Mental disorders so they have no grounds to argue.

So, the people who have said to my fucking face that they want me to die or be imprisoned for being gay aren't homophobes? Because the United States government doesn't consider homosexuality a mental disorder, the atheists who openly state that people like me should die aren't homophobes? Do you see the fucking problem with that statement?

I've had atheist homophobes attack me, too. Their justification has always been, "You aren't natural!"
Norstal wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Fact, the best President in history was white. Fact, that proves white people are better at being president. Duh.

But since we all came from Africa, it's a known fact that the best president is an African.
So we need a white African. And we have Obama! Har har har har.

Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

The United Brony Armies
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Brony Armies » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:07 am

Ixzara wrote:
Fascist Russian Empire wrote:So, the people who have said to my fucking face that they want me to die or be imprisoned for being gay aren't homophobes? Because the United States government doesn't consider homosexuality a mental disorder, the atheists who openly state that people like me should die aren't homophobes? Do you see the fucking problem with that statement?

I've had atheist homophobes attack me, too. Their justification has always been, "You aren't natural!"

I've only gotten that response from religious. But that might be because I live near the bible belt.

Ixzara
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ixzara » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 am

Ixzara wrote:I've had atheist homophobes attack me, too. Their justification has always been, "You aren't natural!"

I've only gotten that response from religious. But that might be because I live near the bible belt.

The religious bozos tell me "But homosexuality is an abomination and the bible says you're going to go to Hell!"
Norstal wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Fact, the best President in history was white. Fact, that proves white people are better at being president. Duh.

But since we all came from Africa, it's a known fact that the best president is an African.

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 am

Ixzara wrote:I've had atheist homophobes attack me, too. Their justification has always been, "You aren't natural!"

"I've never seen a criminal, so crime must not exist!" "I've never seen space, so it must not exist!" "I've never seen a homeless person, so homelessness must not exist!"

So see what's wrong with the lifestyle of denying the existence of anything you've never seen before?

Ixzara
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ixzara » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 am

The United Brony Armies wrote:I've only gotten that response from religious. But that might be because I live near the bible belt.

"I've never seen a criminal, so crime must not exist!" "I've never seen space, so it must not exist!" "I've never seen a homeless person, so homelessness must not exist!"

So see what's wrong with the lifestyle of denying the existence of anything you've never seen before?

Marry me.
Norstal wrote:

The Padelas Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Padelas Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 am

The United Brony Armies wrote:I've only gotten that response from religious. But that might be because I live near the bible belt.

Logic. I like it.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21 am

Eh, I'd start with taxing the megachurches, just around 1%.
I'd don't really swing either way for small churches.
I've retired from the forums.

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 am

Nervium wrote:Eh, I'd start with taxing the megachurches, just around 1%.

The Meagchurches are not even churches really.

A Church is a place that people should gather for helping the community, for spiritual health, and to learn of lessons from Christ's words.

The Megachurches are temples of Greed and of the Anti-Christ in my opinion
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 am

I have never once met an Atheist Homophobe. Know why? Because there is no non-religious reason to oppose anything against any one human being. Think about it, even religions hate on other religions because they both think they're right. Religion is seeping with hate and as an Atheist it frustrates me that you cannot say the plain truth without offending 90% of the population.

Then you have never traveled to other countries I take it?

The ick factor and procreation argument do not have to be religious.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 am

Orcoa wrote:
Nervium wrote:Eh, I'd start with taxing the megachurches, just around 1%.

The Meagchurches are not even churches really.

A Church is a place that people should gather for helping the community, for spiritual health, and to learn of lessons from Christ's words.

Wich is why they should be taxed, to please Statan.
I've retired from the forums.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:30 am

Nervium wrote:
Orcoa wrote:The Meagchurches are not even churches really.

Well no, we can certainly please the mounds of houseless crowds who congregate for shelter and minimal food.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:30 am

Nervium wrote:
Orcoa wrote:The Meagchurches are not even churches really.

Praise Statan!

Unholy lord of the state! Enemy of Libertarians and Ayn Rand. :lol:
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Molerats
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Molerats » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am

Molerats wrote:why limit it to the US ? 1: They are exempt pretty much anywhere and make millions from it. They always claim they will donate but how do they get sooooooooooooooooo much money if they donate ? 2: The church is one of the most rich and vile organizations evil . 3: It not only fights for social stagnation (and worse ) but it also tried to hoax people out of their money. Best.criminal.empire.ever

1: Non-profit organizations can have budget surpluses.
2: OMG, they make money so they must be EVIL! #ConspiracyTheory
3: No, no they don't. Churches regularly give money to the poor, regularly give food to the hungry, help educate kids (Sunday schools), and require no payment for their services. Churches are completely donation-driven organizations, except for a few cathedrals they sell touristy things to help provide extra income, and they serve many charitable purposes; hardly what I would call a "criminal empire".

1 they claim they collect money to help OTHERS not THEMSELVES. The wealth of the catholic church (easiest example ) is grotesque considering the ideas it supports. The orthodox church (this one is closer to home for me ) is abusing that tax break beyond measure.
2 No, they're not evil because they make money, every BUSINESS has a right to do that, but business pay taxes.
3 But how much money ? The catholic church is filthy rich, same for the orthodox one

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

Molerats wrote:1 they claim they collect money to help OTHERS not THEMSELVES. The wealth of the catholic church (easiest example ) is grotesque considering the ideas it supports. The orthodox church (this one is closer to home for me ) is abusing that tax break beyond measure.
2 No, they're not evil because they make money, every BUSINESS has a right to do that, but business pay taxes.
3 But how much money ? The catholic church is filthy rich, same for the orthodox one

1: They do help others. I've fucking seen my church give to the needy, and my two pastors aren't exactly rich.
2: Churches aren't businesses. Businesses sell things; churches run purely on donations.
3: Just because they have a lot of money saved up doesn't mean they don't spend money on charity.

Molerats
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Molerats » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

Molerats wrote:1 they claim they collect money to help OTHERS not THEMSELVES. The wealth of the catholic church (easiest example ) is grotesque considering the ideas it supports. The orthodox church (this one is closer to home for me ) is abusing that tax break beyond measure.

1: They do help others. I've fucking seen my church give to the needy, and my two pastors aren't exactly rich.
2: Churches aren't businesses. Businesses sell things; churches run purely on donations.
3: Just because they have a lot of money saved up doesn't mean they don't spend money on charity.

1 There are exceptions. Aren't there filthy rich pastors in the US ? I mean I'd talk about my country (where priests are parasites ) but since this thread is about the US I will try to stick with US pastors
2 Churches don't sell things there ? Like holy water and all those things televangelists sell ? (I assume they have their own churches or religious organizations )
3 Yes it does, if you save it up for 3 decades you sort of intend to keep it

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 am

Molerats wrote:1 There are exceptions. Aren't there filthy rich pastors in the US ? I mean I'd talk about my country (where priests are parasites ) but since this thread is about the US I will try to stick with US pastors
2 Churches don't sell things there ? Like holy water and all those things televangelists sell ? (I assume they have their own churches or religious organizations )

1: There's probably some rich people who volunteer at their churches, but I've never seen or a church run by anyone other than one or two priests/pastors and volunteers. Sure, there might be some scams who use religion as an excuse to pocket and steal money, but almost all churches don't run like that.
2: Churches don't sell holy water. Hell, I've never even seen a televangelist sell something at all. The only things I've seen churches sell are postcards, books, and jewelry; and, even then, only in big tourist-oriented cathedrals in Europe that don't have big enough attendance to financially survive on donations alone.
3: So, because the Holy See has a big bank account, that makes them evil? Unless they use it for frivolous purposes, there's nothing wrong with saving money. Nobody ever said that a non-profit organization can't have money saved up or that they have to spend 100% of the revenue they get.

Molerats
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Molerats » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

Molerats wrote:1 There are exceptions. Aren't there filthy rich pastors in the US ? I mean I'd talk about my country (where priests are parasites ) but since this thread is about the US I will try to stick with US pastors

1: There's probably some rich people who volunteer at their churches, but I've never seen or a church run by anyone other than one or two priests/pastors and volunteers. Sure, there might be some scams who use religion as an excuse to pocket and steal money, but almost all churches don't run like that.
2: Churches don't sell holy water. Hell, I've never even seen a televangelist sell something at all. The only things I've seen churches sell are postcards, books, and jewelry; and, even then, only in big tourist-oriented cathedrals in Europe that don't have big enough attendance to financially survive on donations alone.
3: So, because the Holy See has a big bank account, that makes them evil? Unless they use it for frivolous purposes, there's nothing wrong with saving money. Nobody ever said that a non-profit organization can't have money saved up or that they have to spend 100% of the revenue they get.

1 Still,some people use them for that, THEY NEED TAXATION
2 Some of those televangelists sell things, I am pretty sure of it, albeit, true, if they started getting taxed they'd probably ask for donations instead so everything would be the same
3 YES, PROCLAIMING POVERTY AS A VIRTUE AND THEN ACCUMULATING A MOUNTAIN OF WEALTH FROM THOSE YOU FOOLED IS EVIL

The Padelas Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Padelas Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am

Molerats wrote:
Fascist Russian Empire wrote:1: There's probably some rich people who volunteer at their churches, but I've never seen or a church run by anyone other than one or two priests/pastors and volunteers. Sure, there might be some scams who use religion as an excuse to pocket and steal money, but almost all churches don't run like that.

1 Still,some people use them for that, THEY NEED TAXATION
2 Some of those televangelists sell things, I am pretty sure of it, albeit, true, if they started getting taxed they'd probably ask for donations instead so everything would be the same
3 YES, PROCLAIMING POVERTY AS A VIRTUE AND THEN ACCUMULATING A MOUNTAIN OF WEALTH FROM THOSE YOU FOOLED IS EVIL

1. Some charities make money from their charities, so we should tax them all too?

Molerats
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Molerats » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am

The Padelas Empire wrote:
Molerats wrote:1 Still,some people use them for that, THEY NEED TAXATION

1. Some charities make money from their charities, so we should tax them all too?

If they make millions then yes, we should (a la catholic church again )

The Padelas Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Padelas Empire » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 am

Molerats wrote:
The Padelas Empire wrote:1. Some charities make money from their charities, so we should tax them all too?

If they make millions then yes, we should (a la catholic church again )

So you want to blanket taxes on every non profit because there are the few that screw with the system?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General