NATION

PASSWORD

Which God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:11 am

I will tell you two to keep you from bothering me about this. It seems that trust is totally dead these and that no one can accept something even hypothetically. I did not witness this one, but I witnessed the telling of it and the support from others who knew the man involved that proved it was true. A man had a brother who had gotten a stroke or something like that. Anyways, he wound up in the hospital, if I remember correctly, he wasn't supposed to make it. So this man asked our Church to pray for him if I am correct. The man survived, and whats more, only three out of 100 people or some large number like that, come out of this thing unscathed. This man was also one of them.

And my second one. My Grandma died about a year ago. We were all worried about not being there to say goodbye. On the day she died, we got to her a few minuets before she died and we were able to sat goodbye.

I don't care if you think these were coincidences, that's your prerogative, but I would advise you not to say anything like that on TV because there are billions of these kinds of stories. Although, coming from a Christian stand point, everything that is is due to God. Now, many will say God has control over whether people are murdered or not. That is only partially true.

If God had wanted, he could have taken away our mental freedom to think for ourselves, then we couldn't kill anyone, but he has no control over peoples minds. And I don't think he'd just go and change the weather to stop a murder because I don't know if he has that power. But God also expects us to do something about these problems.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 am

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:I did not witness this one, but I witnessed the telling of it and the support from others who knew the man involved that proved it was true. A man had a brother who had gotten a stroke or something like that. Anyways, he wound up in the hospital, if I remember correctly, he wasn't supposed to make it. So this man asked our Church to pray for him if I am correct. The man survived, and whats more, only three out of 100 people or some large number like that, come out of this thing unscathed. This man was also one of them.

Not a miracle, but a statistic and natural possibility.

And my second one. My Grandma died about a year ago. We were all worried about not being there to say goodbye. On the day she died, we got to her a few minuets before she died and we were able to sat goodbye.

Not a miracle, but a physical phenomenon (ie death).

I don't care if you think these were coincidences, that's your prerogative, but I would advise you not to say anything like that on TV because there are billions of these kinds of stories.

They are coincidences, and there may be 'billions of these kinds of stories', but lots of those aren't true but simply made up to support the non-existent case for religion.

If God had wanted, he could have taken away our mental freedom to think for ourselves, then we couldn't kill anyone, but he has no control over peoples minds.

Therefore, not all powerful. So, not a 'deity', but more a cultural phenomenon (ie made up by a few power-types and gotten into human lore).
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:30 am

F1-Insanity wrote:
Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:I did not witness this one, but I witnessed the telling of it and the support from others who knew the man involved that proved it was true. A man had a brother who had gotten a stroke or something like that. Anyways, he wound up in the hospital, if I remember correctly, he wasn't supposed to make it. So this man asked our Church to pray for him if I am correct. The man survived, and whats more, only three out of 100 people or some large number like that, come out of this thing unscathed. This man was also one of them.

Not a miracle, but a statistic and natural possibility.

Not a miracle, but a physical phenomenon (ie death).

I don't care if you think these were coincidences, that's your prerogative, but I would advise you not to say anything like that on TV because there are billions of these kinds of stories.

They are coincidences, and there may be 'billions of these kinds of stories', but lots of those aren't true but simply made up to support the non-existent case for religion.

If God had wanted, he could have taken away our mental freedom to think for ourselves, then we couldn't kill anyone, but he has no control over peoples minds.

Therefore, not all powerful. So, not a 'deity', but more a cultural phenomenon (ie made up by a few power-types and gotten into human lore).

The miracle wasn't death! It was the fact we were there to say goodbye! If you ever talk about someones death so casually again, I honestly hope and pray they either didn't like the person, or that you have a fast car. Do not, EVER play down the death of an important family member, especially when that family member helped someone become Christian! Yeah, if it weren't for her I would be just like you! No difference!

Another thing, they may be statistics, but what were the chances that he was going to be related to someone that goes to my church? Those are some pretty impossible statistics.

Lastly, you are being hypocritical. You say that I need proof and resources for my claims, and yet you didn't have one for yours? Who says someone lied about their story with God? Sure there are fake stories, were do you think the Jehovah's get their ideas from? Not trying to cut down on Jehovah's or anything, but it is a known fact that they took the Bible and adapted it to the way they liked. The proof lies in the age of Jehovah's witness-ism. They have only been round a short while, although I don't know the exact date. But back to the topic. You say many are made up? According to who? An atheist? I get my statistics from news papers and such for things like that because they have no reason to bend the truth on things like religion, well, at least the Times doesn't.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 am

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:The miracle wasn't death! It was the fact we were there to say goodbye! If you ever talk about someones death so casually again, I honestly hope and pray they either didn't like the person, or that you have a fast car. Do not, EVER play down the death of an important family member, especially when that family member helped someone become Christian! Yeah, if it weren't for her I would be just like you! No difference!

And don't YOU dare to call something a miracle which wasn't one. A miracle would be when a dead person becomes alive again, which has never happened. Some elderly person lingering on for a few more minutes does not miracle constitute.

Another thing, they may be statistics, but what were the chances that he was going to be related to someone that goes to my church? Those are some pretty impossible statistics.

That person is always gonna be related to someone.

I get my statistics from news papers and such for things like that because they have no reason to bend the truth on things like religion, well, at least the Times doesn't.

Millions of stories like that in the Times? Name them.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
F1-Insanity Factbook
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:

Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street

The Scandinvans
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:39 am

EDIT apologies for the trolling.
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:44 am

Jesus' Brother Bob.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:51 am

F1-Insanity wrote:
Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:The miracle wasn't death! It was the fact we were there to say goodbye! If you ever talk about someones death so casually again, I honestly hope and pray they either didn't like the person, or that you have a fast car. Do not, EVER play down the death of an important family member, especially when that family member helped someone become Christian! Yeah, if it weren't for her I would be just like you! No difference!

And don't YOU dare to call something a miracle which wasn't one. A miracle would be when a dead person becomes alive again, which has never happened. Some elderly person lingering on for a few more minutes does not miracle constitute.

That person is always gonna be related to someone.

I get my statistics from news papers and such for things like that because they have no reason to bend the truth on things like religion, well, at least the Times doesn't.

Millions of stories like that in the Times? Name them.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Firstly, how did you reply so fast? I didn't post that before, so please tell me how you replied the second after I posted.

You hang on so dearly to something that is takes so much faith to believe. You want to believe that everything was an accident, but it takes more faith to believe that than it does to believe in god. And my faith was only strengthened when I tried to imagine myself having no beginning and no end. It was like watching Donnie Darko (which I never saw) it makes you feel weird, and the Bible says we weren't made to comprehend it. We can't.

I can call it a miracle still because we got there before she died, which was a prayer answered. To say every prayer answered is a coincidence is stupid. If they were really coincidences, the majority of them wouldn't have happened. And obviously you have never been at someones death bed to see them die. I have lived around death, I know a miracle when I see one. This is the first death I was able to be at to say goodbye. First out of too many.

Of course there is always going to be someone related to someone. But this certain someone happened to go to my church, and his story just so happened to strengthen my faith, which was what I needed.

Once more, you all post very silly things. I never even eluded to meaning that the Times posted stories like that. I said STATISTICS. Please read my posts better rather than skim through them and take what you like out of it.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:59 am

The Scandinvans wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:And don't YOU dare to call something a miracle which wasn't one. A miracle would be when a dead person becomes alive again, which has never happened. Some elderly person lingering on for a few more minutes does not miracle constitute
Behold my power!!!

*Magical staff taps ground.*

*Zombie grandma emerges.*

Now THAT's a miracle :)

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:Firstly, how did you reply so fast? I didn't post that before, so please tell me how you replied the second after I posted.

I can has typing skillz?

You hang on so dearly to something that is takes so much faith to believe.

Emm, I think you'll find you are the one hanging on dearly to beliefs that seem to have little evidence to support them apart from 'it says so in a book'. Religious folks tend to hang on dearly to their superstitions regardless of how much scientific evidence to the contrary there is.

You want to believe that everything was an accident, but it takes more faith to believe that than it does to believe in god. And my faith was only strengthened when I tried to imagine myself having no beginning and no end. It was like watching Donnie Darko (which I never saw) it makes you feel weird, and the Bible says we weren't made to comprehend it. We can't.

A mightily convenient claim for the people who wrote the bible to make. And indeed, I cannot comprehend how something would be like watching something else when I haven't seen the something else. The praying routine doesn't affect anything because if there was a deity (which there isn't) then it would have a divine plan and it wouldn't change the plan just to accommodate you.

I can call it a miracle still because we got there before she died, which was a prayer answered. To say every prayer answered is a coincidence is stupid.

I call it coincidence, law of averages, statistics, chance etc...
and then she died anyway, if there was this 'god' which there isn't, pretty cruel that it makes someone live a little longer so everyone else can watch her die. A bit like a snuff movie.

Of course there is always going to be someone related to someone. But this certain someone happened to go to my church, and his story just so happened to strengthen my faith, which was what I needed.

When you are the kind that clings to these kind of stories so you can hold on to certain beliefs that are not supported by any kind of empirical evidence, that's your choice. Hey mr scientists your evidence is wrong because I heard a story that says it is!

Once more, you all post very silly things. I never even eluded to meaning that the Times posted stories like that. I said STATISTICS. Please read my posts better rather than skim through them and take what you like out of it.

't is wat I do :)
Last edited by F1-Insanity on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
F1-Insanity Factbook

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:01 am

F1-Insanity wrote:
The Scandinvans wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:And don't YOU dare to call something a miracle which wasn't one. A miracle would be when a dead person becomes alive again, which has never happened. Some elderly person lingering on for a few more minutes does not miracle constitute
Behold my power!!!

I hope he was referring to someone else's. I can't hate people, like I said, but that doesn't mean I should take garbage like that.

The Scandinvans
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:07 am

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:
The Scandinvans wrote:
Behold my power!!!

I hope he was referring to someone else's. I can't hate people, like I said, but that doesn't mean I should take garbage like that.
To inform you I was actually trying to diffuse the situation with a joke. To be rather frank if it truly offends I apologize, and I will happily delete it. Though to state, I went back and reread your earlier posts and I am sorry for conjuring a negative image, to be honest I thought I read grandpa.

EDIT: Dire lack of sleep.
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:11 am

The Scandinvans wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:
The Scandinvans wrote:
Behold my power!!!

To inform you I was actually trying to diffuse the situation with a joke. To be rather frank if it truly offends I apologize, and I will happily delete it. Though to state, I went back and reread your earlier posts and I am sorry for conjuring a negative image, to be honest I thought I read grandpa.

EDIT: Dire lack of sleep.

No it's okay, I'm actually glad you tried to defuse it. You are a much better person than others. Rather than watch someone suffer in grief, you try to calm everyone down. My grandma's death was huge to me. I never got a lot of chances to see her becuase of my Father, so I didn't know her that well. They say you can tell a lot about someone when they are dying. That's no lie. I saw that she loved us all with her heart, and that she was willing to give up going to haven right away to keep watch over us and protect us. She was 80, had cancer in her entire body, and should have died in the first three days in hospice. But she hung on.

InvisiblePinkUnicorns
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby InvisiblePinkUnicorns » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:15 am

Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

Me of course.
Visit my temple: http://theinvisiblepinkunicorn.com/index.htm
:hug:

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:18 am

InvisiblePinkUnicorns wrote:
Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

Me of course.
Visit my temple: http://theinvisiblepinkunicorn.com/index.htm
:hug:

Guess what comrade? Your invisible pink unicorns don't exist! How do I know this? I can see a pink shading in the shape of a unicorn on your flag! Therefore, you would be properly called the faded pink unicorns! :p Just kidding.

The Scandinvans
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:18 am

Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:No it's okay, I'm actually glad you tried to defuse it. You are a much better person than others. Rather than watch someone suffer in grief, you try to calm everyone down. My grandma's death was huge to me. I never got a lot of chances to see her becuase of my Father, so I didn't know her that well. They say you can tell a lot about someone when they are dying. That's no lie. I saw that she loved us all with her heart, and that she was willing to give up going to haven right away to keep watch over us and protect us. She was 80, had cancer in her entire body, and should have died in the first three days in hospice. But she hung on.
Again I apologize for any discomfort or negative connotations I caused. To offer a word of advice though, which is actually rather rare due to the general silliness of NSG; death is something that we can never truly understand. There is no certainty in it, we can never truly know the experience that people have once they depart this world. We merely must take solace in the fact that those close to us lived. That they, in a way, continue to live on through us. Through our memories, and our very being. As long as we have those things, they never truly leave us. For they continue to impact us each and every day of our lives.
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

InvisiblePinkUnicorns
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby InvisiblePinkUnicorns » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:19 am

Senestrum wrote:I am a devout believer in her holiness the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Bless you my son! :hug:

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:24 am

The Scandinvans wrote:
Soviet Commu-Facism wrote:No it's okay, I'm actually glad you tried to defuse it. You are a much better person than others. Rather than watch someone suffer in grief, you try to calm everyone down. My grandma's death was huge to me. I never got a lot of chances to see her becuase of my Father, so I didn't know her that well. They say you can tell a lot about someone when they are dying. That's no lie. I saw that she loved us all with her heart, and that she was willing to give up going to haven right away to keep watch over us and protect us. She was 80, had cancer in her entire body, and should have died in the first three days in hospice. But she hung on.
Again I apologize for any discomfort or negative connotations I caused. To offer a word of advice though, which is actually rather rare due to the general silliness of NSG; death is something that we can never truly understand. There is no certainty in it, we can never truly know the experience that people have once they depart this world. We merely must take solace in the fact that those close to us lived. That they, in a way, continue to live on through us. Through our memories, and our very being. As long as we have those things, they never truly leave us. For they continue to impact us each and every day of our lives.

Your right. And I suppose I'd be the living proof of that. Thank you for that.

InvisiblePinkUnicorns wrote:
Senestrum wrote:I am a devout believer in her holiness the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Bless you my son! :hug:

Now say hail fluffy green bunny rabbits three times to receive your free banana for only ten dollars!

The Scandinvans
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:27 am

The Scandinvans wrote:

Your right. And I suppose I'd be the living proof of that. Thank you for that.
Fare thee well.

The Union of Amestris
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Amestris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 am

Choice is entirely up to you.
i think it's how you want to end...

If you like being crussified, choose judism.
If you like to be burned, choose christianity
If you like to blow yourself up together with flying parts from a blue prius, choose islam
If you like to fall into your own sword, choose Shintoism
If you like to die by a bus because of karma, choose confusionism.
If you don't feel like dying, choose buddhism
If you see unicorns at random moments at like them to kill you, choose animism
If you like to die in battle and wage eternal war, choose Nordic paganism.

So what will it be ?
Last edited by The Union of Amestris on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Because I Can

The Scandinvans
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Scandinvans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:30 am

The Union of Amestris wrote:Choice is entirely up to you.

If you like to blow yourself up together with flying parts from a blue prius, choose islam

So what will it be ?
You forgot some. So here is one more.

If you like to die in battle and wage eternal war, choose Nordic paganism.

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 am

So what will it be ?

If you like people who are cutting down on other religions by talking about what all the fanatics did, choose The Union of Amestris. Even Islam isn't all like that. Every religion has it's fanatics, but that isn't necessarily what the religion believes. For instance, the witch burning was the Puritans. All other religions either didn't do it or stopped really early on. Puritanism was also banned if I remember correctly, so no more witch burnings.

The Union of Amestris
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Amestris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:36 am

So what will it be ?

If you like people who are cutting down on other religions by talking about what all the fanatics did, choose The Union of Amestris. Even Islam isn't all like that. Every religion has it's fanatics, but that isn't necessarily what the religion believes. For instance, the witch burning was the Puritans. All other religions either didn't do it or stopped really early on. Puritanism was also banned if I remember correctly, so no more witch burnings.

Damn you !!!
Can't you even take a joke ?
You're supposed to say "religion is opium to the people" so zip it would ya :rofl: :D
-Because I Can

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 am

The Union of Amestris wrote:

So what will it be ?

Damn you !!!
You're supposed to say "religion is opium to the people" so zip it would ya :rofl: :D

:rofl: I don't get it. :blink: By what do you mean, "Opium to the people"? And where might I get some of these... Fine wares?

The Union of Amestris
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Amestris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 am

So what will it be ?

Damn you !!!

:rofl: I don't get it. :blink: By what do you mean, "Opium to the people"? And where might I get some of these... Fine wares?

You're the worst commie ever :palm:
-Because I Can

Soviet Commu-Facism
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Commu-Facism » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:42 am

So what will it be ?

Damn you !!!

Worst ROLEPLAY commie ever. Plus there is some Fascism mixed in with it, so Commu-Fascist.

The Union of Amestris
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Amestris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:46 am

So what will it be ?

Damn you !!!

Worst ROLEPLAY commie ever. Plus there is some Fascism mixed in with it, so Commu-Fascist.

Fascist lost the war, and you suck as commie, worst commu-fascist ever
-Because I Can

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General