NATION

PASSWORD

Which God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kirav
Minister

Founded: Sep 07, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Kirav » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:15 am

As a Universalist Monotheist, they're all the same God, as far as I'm concerned. The difference is how one looks at Him.
Last edited by Kirav on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hitchensland
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hitchensland » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:16 am

Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

None.
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 am

Kirav wrote:As a Universalist Monotheist, they're all the same God, as far as I'm concerned. The difference is how one looks at Him.

exactly.

if there is only one god then all gods ARE that god.

if there is more than one god, youre on your own.
whatever

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 am

Kirav wrote:As a Universalist Monotheist, they're all the same God, as far as I'm concerned. The difference is how one looks at Him.

Hanuman too? And what about the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

Create your own damned religion! That's what everyone else does. Even when they say they're following some church or spiritual leader, they're putting their own spin on it, so why bother paying lip service? Just appoint yourself Lord High Priest Whatsis, write a book and claim to have the truth - profit.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Nordicus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Nulono wrote:The Invisible Pink Unicorn, BBHHH.

I'm guessing that's short for "Blessed Be Her Holy Horn"?

I tend to lean more towards Pastafarianism, myself.
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:58 am

"god" and "religeon" or belief, or whatever else anyone wants to call it, are two VERY different questions entirely.

the existence of big, friendly and invisible in no way depends upon any system of belief having the slightest idea what it's talking about.

maybe some do, maybe not.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:04 am

Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead. :twisted: Or Kyuss, the Worm that Walks.
Last edited by Allbeama on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:05 am

Ashmoria wrote:

exactly.

if there is only one god then all gods ARE that god.

To continue the Pratchett references: fake beards ?

Nordicus wrote:
Nulono wrote:The Invisible Pink Unicorn, BBHHH.

I'm guessing that's short for "Blessed Be Her Holy Horn"?

Hooves. Holy Hooves :p

And I suggest Atum-Ra. He willed himself into existence, created a mountain so He had a place to stand and then gave himself a blowjob/fucked his shadow (depending on your chosen denomination) creating moisture and life. No messing around with clay here !
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Kropotkinite Union
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kropotkinite Union » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 am

Go worship Sun Myung Moon. Be off with you.
I was voted "most likely to become a post-structuralist philosopher who resents being called 'postmodern'" in high school! How meta!
The Kropotkinite Union on NSWiki

Velka Morava
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Velka Morava » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:53 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Yog Sothoth, because most people don't know who he is.

Most people? Where do you live?
"Preemption is a tool. When you announce that preemption is your national strategy and you tell everyone, it begets preemption." - Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper

Velka Morava
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Velka Morava » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:57 am

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:
Velka Morava wrote:The Great God Om!

Sandelfon, May his corridors never shorten, beats Om anyday!

Not when Om is in his turtle incarnation.
"Preemption is a tool. When you announce that preemption is your national strategy and you tell everyone, it begets preemption." - Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper

Zombie PotatoHeads
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zombie PotatoHeads » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:06 am

Dudeism: The religion of the Dude.
http://www.dudeism.com/

WWTDD; What Would The Dude Do?

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:10 am

The "religion" (loose association, really) of worshipping the almighty goddesses that occasionally grace NSG with their presence ....
as well as Kari Byron.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 am

all of the names that we give, are still our pretending to know what is entirely independent of our beliefs, knowledge or pretensions.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:32 am

Well, if you are serious, (I'm thinking otherwise) read some spiritual literature, learn a little about all the religions that peak your interest, then choose the one that feels right to you.

As for recommendations, well Buddhism is very popular for new converts, it is peaceful, practical and hell you don't even have to believe in God to be a Buddhist. If you're one for rituals and great stories along side choice and a great deal of freedom with beliefs Hinduism makes a nice choice, especially with such a wide assortment of gods available, Islam is growing fast, but it's very conservative and ordered converting to Islam should always be done with a strong conviction, taking it lightly would be an insult, Judaism is a lot of work just to convert is a long process, but of course spiritually it does have a lot to offer a small tight knit community can usually be found no matter where you are. Then there is my personal favorite Christianity, a great religion if you actually follow it, there are a lot of sects to choose from, no matter where you are there will usually be an instant community, Jesus is (was) a great guy, even Pilate said so and he killed him, dying for our sins is pretty darn noble.
Last edited by The Adrian Empire on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:07 am

F1-Insanity wrote:

Hanuman's polytheist. It probably doesn't count. And the FSM's existence is disproved by the fact that noodles, let alone spaghetti, were invented only 4000 years ago at the earliest.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:10 am

Angleter wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:

Hanuman's polytheist. It probably doesn't count. And the FSM's existence is disproved by the fact that noodles, let alone spaghetti, were invented only 4000 years ago at the earliest.

You mean it was a religious reveleation ?
Or that the earth is only 4000 years old ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Lazooni
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lazooni » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:14 am

Thou must worship Chuck Norris, or he shalt roundhouse kick thy soul for all eternity.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:17 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Angleter wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:

You mean it was a religious reveleation ?
Or that the earth is only 4000 years old ?

The Earth is over 4,000 years old- see carbon dating, which also dated those noodles from Qinghai, China.

And the FSM would only know how to make the noodles that create it if it was told so by the one who made it- thus meaning it is not the creator of all as it had a creator itself.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 am

The Sun.

Best part is you get to celebrate its rebirth tomorrow (winter solstice).

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:26 am

Dakini wrote:The Sun.

Worship the sun but pray to Joe Pesci.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Dakini wrote:The Sun.

Worship the sun but pray to Joe Pesci.

Oh yes, of course.

Port Arcana
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Arcana » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:38 am

:bow:

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:45 am

*shrug*
I dunno.

Agnosticism is fun like that.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General