NATION

PASSWORD

Let's talk Tattoo's

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

You and Tattoos

I love them! And I've got a couple
19%
I really like them but don't have any
23%
Got a couple not to big into them though
No votes
Don't have any but would like some
15%
Not a fan but it's whatever
23%
I dislike tattoos
8%
Ew why hell would you get one!?
12%

Total votes : 26

Santa Lucania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Let's talk Tattoo's

Postby Santa Lucania » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Tattoos are defined by Oxford as a Mark (a person or a part of the body) with an indelible design by inserting pigment into punctures in the skin:. And in the last twenty or so years the popularity of tattoos has blown up with 36% of Americans 18 to 25 having at least one tattoo and 40% of people 26 to 40 having one or more tattoos. Yet amongst this popularity comes stigmas against them usually from older generations. Links to crime and general deviancy have given tattoos a bad reputation while others say it an intimate expression of themselves.

So NSG what are your thoughts of Tattoos and the cultures which are associated with them? Do you like the idea of putting something so permanent as an artistic expression or do you think they are only for deviants? Also do you have any tattoos or are planing to get any? If so what are they and what's the meaning behind them?

Me personally I see no issue with Tattoos although I feel women who are covered in them are not attractive. Just a personal belief in moderation. But do what you want to do its your body and I can't do a thing about it. I would also like to get get my name in Anglo-Saxon runes on the back of my arms (Fist Name of left arm and last name on the right arm) to symbolize my heredity. I'd also like to get a little thing on my shoulder for my Grandpa. It be a Skull with a Vietnam era US army helmet with his name on a banner and his unit. As well as a Date of Birth and Date of Death underneath it.

So go ahead and talk this subject to death.
Last edited by Santa Lucania on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas's very own Tropical Paradise with all the Poverty and Income zen equality included.
HDI: 7.14
GINI: 52.7
Government: Democratic Federal Republic
Current Coalition: Progress Coalition/Civic Unity Coalition mixed government.
Climate: Tropical

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:46 pm

I like them, but apparently not enough to ever have a sum of money where I've thought, "I should use this money to pay someone to draw on me" instead of buy the other, equally frivolous things I instead spent it on. Perhaps one day.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Lucipurr
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lucipurr » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Unfortunately I am not old enough for a tattoo at the moment. However, I would love to have my neck tattooed and have both my arms completely covered, and a few tattoos on my torso area as well.
You can call me Luci
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent..
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

A Million Voices
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby A Million Voices » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.
Silencing an opponent is not the same as converting him.

The Terror Realm
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Terror Realm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 pm

I LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE TATTOO'S

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 pm

I don't like tattoos, but if people want them, it's their decision. I just don't think it's aesthetically pleasing.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:05 pm

A Million Voices wrote:A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Not necessarily. For example, a common tattoo is either an image or a name of a friend or family member that they may have lost. I don't think missing a loved one is temporary.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:06 pm

*Tattoos
Jayzus, people it's not that hard.
There is only an apostrophe if it is possessive or if it is a contraction.

My opinion...
I don't really mind them, I'd never get a tattoo personally and most I find a bit trashy.
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Santa Lucania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Lucania » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I like them, but apparently not enough to ever have a sum of money where I've thought, "I should use this money to pay someone to draw on me" instead of buy the other, equally frivolous things I instead spent it on. Perhaps one day.

Oh good point at least with the coast thing, tattoos aren't cheap sadly.

Lucipurr wrote:Unfortunately I am not old enough for a tattoo at the moment. However, I would love to have my neck tattooed and have both my arms completely covered, and a few tattoos on my torso area as well.

Hopefully the neck tattoos don't effect you opportunities in the job market.

A Million Voices wrote:A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

A wouldn't say people get them for reasons felt in the moment. I've had the idea for my arm tattoos for about four years now so I don't think I would look back in regret on them.
Atlas's very own Tropical Paradise with all the Poverty and Income zen equality included.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm not a fan, but if someone is, that's fine. To each their own.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:14 pm

Santa Lucania wrote:Tattoos are defined by Oxford as a Mark (a person or a part of the body) with an indelible design by inserting pigment into punctures in the skin:. And in the last twenty or so years the popularity of tattoos has blown up with 36% of Americans 18 to 25 having at least one tattoo and 40% of people 26 to 40 having one or more tattoos. Yet amongst this popularity comes stigmas against them usually from older generations. Links to crime and general deviancy have given tattoos a bad reputation while others say it an intimate expression of themselves.

So NSG what are your thoughts of Tattoos and the cultures which are associated with them? Do you like the idea of putting something so permanent as an artistic expression or do you think they are only for deviants? Also do you have any tattoos or are planing to get any? If so what are they and what's the meaning behind them?

Me personally I see no issue with Tattoos although I feel women who are covered in them are not attractive. Just a personal belief in moderation. But do what you want to do its your body and I can't do a thing about it. I would also like to get get my name in Anglo-Saxon runes on the back of my arms (Fist Name of left arm and last name on the right arm) to symbolize my heredity. I'd also like to get a little thing on my shoulder for my Grandpa. It be a Skull with a Vietnam era US army helmet with his name on a banner and his unit. As well as a Date of Birth and Date of Death underneath it.

I don't like tattoos... I don't like them at all. I can't imagine any situation at all where they could make anyone look better; I just can't.

I have a huge aversion to tattoos. In fact, it's so bad that I may have to physically get away from a person if all of a sudden I found out that they had a tattoo (no matter what we were in the middle of doing). I just can't...

why do people even like tattoos?
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Santa Lucania wrote:Tattoos are defined by Oxford as a Mark (a person or a part of the body) with an indelible design by inserting pigment into punctures in the skin:. And in the last twenty or so years the popularity of tattoos has blown up with 36% of Americans 18 to 25 having at least one tattoo and 40% of people 26 to 40 having one or more tattoos. Yet amongst this popularity comes stigmas against them usually from older generations. Links to crime and general deviancy have given tattoos a bad reputation while others say it an intimate expression of themselves.

I don't like tattoos... I don't like them at all. I can't imagine any situation at all where they could make anyone look better; I just can't.

I have a huge aversion to tattoos. In fact, it's so bad that I may have to physically get away from a person if all of a sudden I found out that they had a tattoo (no matter what we were in the middle of doing). I just can't...

That seems like an overreaction... Why do you have such a virulent dislike of tattoos? I don't like them either, but I won't go out of my way to make it known.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Ainin wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

That seems like an overreaction... Why do you have such a virulent dislike of tattoos? I don't like them either, but I won't go out of my way to make it known.

Maybe he was really creeped out by The Illustrated Man or something.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Santa Lucania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Lucania » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 pm

God Kefka wrote:

Well that certainly isn't all that common. Never heard of such a hostile reaction to them.

But it's really a personal preference, in the same way you do not like tattoos many people personally like them.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:22 pm

God, I hate tattoos. They're ugly, stay on your body forever (Unless you want to painfully remove them), and they get disgustingly wrinkly and warped when you age.
Last edited by Skappola on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Skappola wrote:God, I hate tattoos. They're ugly, stay on your body forever (Unless you want to painfully remove them), and they get disgustingly wrinkly and warped when you age.

Have you seen tattoos on an old person? They actually look alright, surprisingly.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:
Skappola wrote:God, I hate tattoos. They're ugly, stay on your body forever (Unless you want to painfully remove them), and they get disgustingly wrinkly and warped when you age.

Have you seen tattoos on an old person? They actually look alright, surprisingly.

I suppose it really depends on where the tattoo is on the body.
Last edited by Skappola on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Santa Lucania wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Well that certainly isn't all that common. Never heard of such a hostile reaction to them.

But it's really a personal preference, in the same way you do not like tattoos many people personally like them.

but it's so gross... shooting needles and stuff into your skin to make black patterns... ON YOUR SKIN!

0_0

yeah I get freaked out...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Greater Sveriege
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Sveriege » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:31 pm

I have the Swedish flag tatooed on my back
Suicide.

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Really don't get the point myself, but no problem with others doing it.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Tattoos are immodest and respectable people shouldn't get them. I tend to associate them with people of questionable morals. I heard that a kid in my school got a tattoo that was a Nazi swastika.

If I did get a tattoo though I would get a giant one of great comrade Stalin on my chest with Chairman Mao and Kim il-Sung standing beside him.

Greater Sveriege
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Sveriege » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:Tattoos are immodest and respectable people shouldn't get them. I tend to associate them with people of questionable morals. I heard that a kid in my school got a tattoo that was a Nazi swastika.

If I did get a tattoo though I would get a giant one of great comrade Stalin on my chest with Chairman Mao and Kim il-Sung standing beside him.

Y U NO KIM JONG UN!
Suicide.

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:43 pm

I don't give a damn if someone wants an unnatural marking on their natural skin. That's their life choice. But I won't be doing it.
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:44 pm

I like them, I just don't want to get one on myself.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Most of them look terrible, though maybe not quite as ugly as earlobes stretched with gauges.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General