NATION

PASSWORD

Equal Pay Day

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

How can we encourage equal pay for women?

1. Mandate it.
25%
2. Shame the offenders (it would keep the media occupied).
7%
3. Investigate those with a pattern of exclusion (IRS, SEC).
7%
4. Use a carrot; give incentives for positive promotions.
5%
5. Ignore the problem and it will go away.
5%
6. Corporations who promote women are anti-male.
3%
7. Maybe we should ignore labels and promote by merit.
34%
8. Merit promotion is not reliable since many of the benchmarks are skewed.
4%
9. We ought to try promoting women before we object to it; there is no track record yet.
4%
10. Ubiquitous other.
6%

Total votes : 112

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Equal Pay Day

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:37 pm

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... r-pay-gap/

So this is the day when we talk about ways to make the pay for women more equal to that of men.

The good news IS the bad news: In the lowest paying jobs, there is virtually no pay gap. Yay, equality. Boo, poverty.

Some say the gap is due to women taking time out to birth and raise kids.

If you look at the top dozen national law firms, NONE have women as senior partners. So perhaps a lot of the gap is due to the inequality in the huge salaries at the top.

How would you address the issue?

I would like to shame those male CEOs who are ineffective when there were many women who were rivals for the position who could have done better.

For instance, bailed-out Goldman Sachs is posting self-created headlines about encouraging women to try a business career in the third world. But it treats women in the first world as jokes.

"Goldman Sachs was the biggest sponsor of a Harvard event last weekend aimed at women interested in computer science. But the Wall Street bank’s conference swag at the event was found off-putting by at least one attendee.

The conference, Women Engineers Code, or WECode, which was organized by an undergraduate student group at Harvard, featured stacks of cosmetic mirrors with the Goldman Sachs logo, a photograph posted to Instagram shows. The Instagram user also said that the bank brought nail files to the event."

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/ ... blogs&_r=0

I propose a carrot and stick approach, aimed at organizations with the biggest salaries. Give tax breaks if they promote women to the top, and have the IRS investigate them thoroughly if they do not.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:41 pm

I've begun to become convinced that the pay gap is illusory. There are a multitude of reasons for the pay gap, and frankly, taking such a narrow view of it smacks of an agenda.

So they are paid less in actual wage terms.
Well, do they get more benefits? Do you think maybe that might be relevant? Do you think anyone should check that maybe, or would the result be unfortunate for the feminist agenda?
The fact may well be that Women select jobs with more benefits, and Men select jobs with more pay.

I'm unwilling to propose any sweeping changes for the pay gap without taking a look at the whole picture, and not just the narrow part of it that feminists keep shouting about. I'm completely prepared to believe that a pay gap does exist due to some corporations and businesses letting the side down. But are YOU willing to admit that some other firms aren't necessarily paying women less because of sexism, but because they are getting benefits instead, and these firms would be being fucked over by mandating equal pay.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:I've begun to become convinced that the pay gap is illusory. There are a multitude of reasons for the pay gap, and frankly, taking such a narrow view of it smacks of an agenda.

Well, do they get more benefits? Do you think maybe that might be relevant? Do you think anyone should check that maybe, or would the result be unfortunate for the feminist agenda?
The fact may well be that Women select jobs with more benefits, and Men select jobs with more pay.

I'm unwilling to propose any sweeping changes for the pay gap without taking a look at the whole picture, and not just the narrow part of it that feminists keep shouting about.

I personally believe that at least some women do value such things as flex time and extended leave for child illness and so on. Maybe men should also value such things?

But i do not think that would affect the greatest inequities, which occur at the TOP of the pay scale.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Pope Joan wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:I've begun to become convinced that the pay gap is illusory. There are a multitude of reasons for the pay gap, and frankly, taking such a narrow view of it smacks of an agenda.

I'm unwilling to propose any sweeping changes for the pay gap without taking a look at the whole picture, and not just the narrow part of it that feminists keep shouting about.

I personally believe that at least some women do value such things as flex time and extended leave for child illness and so on. Maybe men should also value such things?

But i do not think that would affect the greatest inequities, which occur at the TOP of the pay scale.

Yeh, I have no idea where the fuck feminists get off continually telling men and women what they should be valueing.
You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
"I'm only paid 500 and he's paid 1000. This is bogus D:"
"Um. We also give you a gold bar worth 500... you asked for it..."

What you think is irrelevant. This is an empirical matter. Come back with a proper study that isn't ignoring the obvious for the sake of agenda. (I.E, one that actually takes into account other factors apart from the raw gap.) (Hint, you wont like the results.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Basically:

"I want 500 bucks and a gold bar." -Person A.
"I want 1000 bucks." - Person B

"Seems reasonable."

-trundle along for a while

"WHY AM I ONLY GETTING 500 BUCKS THIS IS DISCRIMINATORY!!!!" - Person A
"Uh. You also get the gold bar. Person B does not."
"WELL, maybe they should want gold bars too!" -Person A
"Um. I don't actually want a gold bar." -Person B
"You SHOULD want gold bars! You're oppressing me by not wanting what I want!" - Person A
"So you want me to raise everyones effective wages by 50%?"
"MISOGYNY!!" - Person A
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Basically:

"Seems reasonable."

"WELL, maybe they should want gold bars too!"
"MISOGYNY!!"

This in a nutshell.

Also, I love the word trundle.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Murkwood wrote:

"Seems reasonable."

"WELL, maybe they should want gold bars too!"
"MISOGYNY!!"

This in a nutshell.

Remember to create an environment where employers will be extremely skeptical of any woman applying for a job because it leaves them open to legal action.
That'll help women.
Trundle is great yeh, I also love trundle.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Murkwood wrote:This in a nutshell.

Remember to create an environment where employers will be extremely skeptical of any woman applying for a job because it leaves them open to legal action.
That'll help women.
Trundle is great yeh, I also love trundle.

It funny how solutions to problems cause even worse problems. Now, instead of being paid less, they won't be paid at all!
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

Yeh, I have no idea where the fuck feminists get off continually telling men and women what they should be valueing.

What you think is irrelevant. This is an empirical matter. Come back with a proper study that isn't ignoring the obvious for the sake of agenda. (I.E, one that actually takes into account other factors apart from the raw gap.) (Hint, you wont like the results.)

So do you have a study that takes benefits into account?
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

So do you have a study that takes benefits into account?

Sure, lemme go grab it a second. Watch this space.

http://www.consad.com/content/reports/G ... Report.pdf

If you can't be bothered to read the whole thing (I understand that you might wish to skip to the summary)
Page 35.

As a result, it is not possible now, and doubtless will never be possible, to determine reliably whether
any portion of the observed gender wage gap is not attributable to factors that compensate women and
men differently on socially acceptable bases, and hence can confidently be attributed to overt
discrimination against women. In addition, at a practical level, the complex combination of factors that
collectively determine the wages paid to different individuals makes the formulation of policy that will
reliably redress any overt discrimination that does exist a task that is, at least, daunting and, more
likely, unachievable.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Great Empire of Gamilus
Senator

Founded: Apr 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Empire of Gamilus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 pm

"Seems reasonable."

"You SHOULD want gold bars! You're oppressing me by not wanting what I want!" - Person A
"MISOGYNY!!" - Person A

practically the argument every single time they bring it up.
could not have summed it up better myself, 10/10 good posts friend.
Do you hear the posters sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the short OP
that won't be seen again!

When the mods find this OP
Then this thread will be no more,
But the song will be sung again
When another comes!

OP, do you know the way?
Know the way to fix your post?
Just add details and sources to spark
Debate on these forums.

Otherwise this thread is doomed
Doomed to death by modly wrath
NSG will pick up and move on
'Till another comes!

--The Klishi Islands
a thread on Theism and Atheism

Unemployable Idiots
Envoy

Founded: Jan 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Unemployable Idiots » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

"Seems reasonable."

"MISOGYNY!!" - Person A

Yep. This. This right here.

Bering
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bering » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm

"Seems reasonable."

"MISOGYNY!!" - Person A

I feel like this is the case most of the time

Driving Fast
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Driving Fast » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm

women complaining again, typical
If you want a free, happy, region to reside in, try need for speed.

DRIVE FAST OR DON'T DRIVE!

Tatooene
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tatooene » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Let's grant incentives for companies to not choose the most qualified candidate, nothing can go wrong! Look, I support gender equality, but bribing companies just so that they'll hire women? Not a good idea.
Just your basic wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Pro: Bacon, Pittsburgh Steelers, 80's Music, Star Wars.
Anti: Salad, Denver Broncos, One Direction, Justin Bieber, The "Brony" fad.
Yes, I know that it's spelled "Tatooine" and not "Tatooene," but the correct spelling was already taken, so don't bug me about it.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Driving Fast wrote:women complaining again, typical

It isn't women. Women are a valueable contribution to the workforce.
It's feminists complaining again, which is indeed typical. No matter how much the feminists attempt it, don't let them con you into conflating the two, or they'll use it to spin their nonsense about how opposing feminism means you hate women.
Ostro.MOV

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Uhm okay guys I just want to remind everyone that we have a black President and that black President's wife is a woman who is also black and basically there is no racism or sexism or homophobia at all.

The only truly oppressed group now are affluent, white, male, Christian heterosexuals.
(sentiments of actual MRA's on nationstates)
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Driving Fast wrote: opposing feminism means you hate women.

Unless we're talking about the super extreme separatist types or the transphobic types of feminists, those words are correct.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Rather than shame the offenders, publicise them. Make people (consumers) make up their own mind.
I've retired from the forums.

Vashta Nerada
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vashta Nerada » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

"Seems reasonable."

"MISOGYNY!!" - Person A

Thank you. Someone finally said it. Women may be paid less, but they get more in terms of benefits. Paid maternal leave, increased training and safety to help to work in traditionally male occupations, plus the additional money that goes into acquiring wares that can be used by women (such as uniforms or sanitary napkins depending on the job), all kick down the wages of women as a result. Because, let's be honest, that money has to come from somewhere. Men have lower costs, and thus we're paid more. Men don't get to stay home and get paid at the same time, women do. Plus, women have a higher turnover rate because many may start families, or only work to help support families since there may already exist a primary worker in the family (aka, a man). So they should be grateful about what they get because it costs more to employ them, nevermind the ever present danger of getting sued because one of the male employees gave one of them a once-over.
Last edited by Vashta Nerada on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to like me, and I certainly don't have to like you.
Also, please refer to me as Vespia. Don't know what I was smoking when I chose "Vashta Nerada".
National Liberal Authoritarian
Economic Left/Right: 1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.82
Pros: Christianity, organized religion, fascism (the good kind), pro-life, conservatism, militarism, corporal punishment, capitalism
Cons: Israel, atheism, feminism, liberalism, gay marriage, Western democracy (too divisive), political correctness
I'm an African American male in my early 20s. Beyond that, nothing else you need to know.

Tatooene
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tatooene » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Page wrote:Uhm okay guys I just want to remind everyone that we have a black President and that black President's wife is a woman who is also black and basically there is no racism or sexism or homophobia at all.

The only truly oppressed group now are affluent, white, male, Christian heterosexuals.

While I can agree that there is some ill will and perhaps even discrimination against them, asserting that they are "the only truly oppressed group" is complete rubbish.
Just your basic wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Pro: Bacon, Pittsburgh Steelers, 80's Music, Star Wars.
Anti: Salad, Denver Broncos, One Direction, Justin Bieber, The "Brony" fad.
Yes, I know that it's spelled "Tatooine" and not "Tatooene," but the correct spelling was already taken, so don't bug me about it.

Kyuji
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Page wrote:Uhm okay guys I just want to remind everyone that we have a black President and that black President's wife is a woman who is also black and basically there is no racism or sexism or homophobia at all.

This isnt tumblr
Pro :Voluntary Cannibalism (in other words the kind where people willingly offer themselves up as food) , Freedom of speech , The Austro-Hungarian Empire , The Ottoman Empire , Taoism , Gay Marriage, Martial Arts , Madoka , Kyubey
Anti :Racism , Israel , Homphobia , Bigotry , North Korea , Krav Maga, Russia

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm

You're more than welcome to find a comprehensive study on the matter that doesn't ignore the obvious.
As I said, i'm fully prepared to admit that some businesses are letting the side down by underpaying women for sexist reasons.
The vast, vast majority of businesses however are paying them equally when you take into account other factors. HOWEVER, these factors are typically not taken into account when you look at the raw wage gap like feminists do. Because saying "We're paid 0.05 less cents per dollar!" isn't a rallying cry that anyone is going to take seriously.
(Yes, that number is magiced out of nowhere. Because noone knows the actual number caused by discrimination.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Driving Fast wrote:women complaining again, typical

Somebody with a past rule violations history trolling, typical. PROTIP: Incendiary comments that are there simply to rile people up without actually, you know, addressing the topic of discussion or contributing to said discussion are probably not a good idea. I'd suggest brushing up on the site rules, as well.

*** Driving Fast, warned for trolling. ***

~Evil Forum Empress Rep Prod the Ninja Mod
~She who wields the Banhammer; master of the mighty moderation no-dachi Kiritateru Teikoku
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Great Empire of Gamilus
Senator

Founded: Apr 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Empire of Gamilus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 pm

actually just white guys in general, no need to get even more specific categories
Do you hear the posters sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the short OP
that won't be seen again!

When the mods find this OP
Then this thread will be no more,
But the song will be sung again
When another comes!

OP, do you know the way?
Know the way to fix your post?
Just add details and sources to spark
Debate on these forums.