NATION

PASSWORD

Answer the police in Irish? Cuff him boys.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who's in the wrong?

Dermot Douglas is wrong
13%
The PSNI are wrong
83%
Other
4%

Total votes : 72

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 am

United Regions of Verona wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
North Ireland is technically part of England...

But Ireland is fully independent, with it's own cultural roots and language... So yeah, duh.

Northern Ireland.

And Ireland is not fully independent. The British are now grinning at us from the north, teasing us that they still have a foothold on an island that's close to theirs.

Sorry, I don't speak British. 8)
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Northern Ireland.

And Ireland is not fully independent. The British are now grinning at us from the north, teasing us that they still have a foothold on an island that's close to theirs.

British is not a language.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 am

Really? May I remind you that Northern Ireland is on the Irish Isle. He had the right to speak in that. The police should know how to speak it.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

... No shit.

It's a joke.

... It's a joke older than dirt.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:52 am

The Rich Port wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:British is not a language.

... No shit.

It's a joke.

Sorry, I don't speak jokes.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am

Alizeria wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
... No shit.

It's a joke.

Especially bad ones.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am

The Rich Port wrote:

So is Gibberish. It was a classic joke.

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Northern Ireland.

You somehow do. English I believe, and I'm guess having a wild guess, originated from England.

Northern Ireland, me dissapoint.

Well, here in the Republic no one seems to speak it anymore, since Irish speaking communities are dying out.
I iz a proud and sexi member of d Exchange of Sad Annoying Pathetic Students
My TG box is lonely, why not send me a TG?
Kourtney is the best Kardashian!
''The only sane people on this planet is me, Alfy, Hake & Theo James,'' - Myself
#yafran

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:54 am

Alizeria wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
... No shit.

It's a joke.

Jokes isn't a language, old chap.

Righteo! Biscuits! Irish terrorists!

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:55 am

Alizeria wrote:

Especially bad ones.

It was a good joke, you just clearly didn't get it. You need to chill out a bit, mate.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 am

The Rich Port wrote:

You somehow do. English I believe, and I'm guess having a wild guess, originated from England.

Well, here in the Republic no one seems to speak it anymore, since Irish speaking communities are dying out.

There are between 130k to 150k people who speak it as their native language, with around another 1million who have some knowledge of it, and there are more and more people taking lessons in irish especially here the north, there are new centres being set up all over the place, including a lot in unionist areas where people are really interested in learning it. So i dont think it is dying out, quite the opposite from what i have seen.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 am

Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Really? May I remind you that Northern Ireland is on the Irish Isle. He had the right to speak in that. The police should know how to speak it.

Unless this particular person could only speak Gaelic as a first language and had otherwise difficulty with English, there was no reason for him to give his details in Irish. English is otherwise the de facto language in NI and is the first language of more than 99% of the population from the 1999 census, there's no reason for police to learn Gaelic.
Yes.

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 am

There are between 130k to 150k people who speak it as their native language, with around another 1million who have some knowledge of it, and there are more and more people taking lessons in irish especially here the north, there are new centres being set up all over the place, including a lot in unionist areas where people are really interested in learning it. So i dont think it is dying out, quite the opposite from what i have seen.

*snorts* A majority now speaks English for their everyday language. Now, can I please get the info on the survey you got this from, and it's date.

The Irish language is as useless as a dead human in my opinion, all it is a thing you can learn.

I have to learn it every school day, and it gets boring after a while. Bhí bron orm. I am sad that it's not an option.
Last edited by United Regions of Verona on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
''The only sane people on this planet is me, Alfy, Hake & Theo James,'' - Myself
#yafran

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:02 am

Basically.

1.) It's part of the UK, theoretically the IRA have left them in peace.
2.) As part of the U.K, it's commonly deduced that most of the populace speak English.
3.) Despite being British, i have no problems with Ireland or Irish people or language.
4.) The arrested man should've spoken his details in English, unless he couldn't.

EDIT: Realising that some may think i'm implying the ROI is part of the U.K, i'm not. I'm referring to NI.
Last edited by The Emerald Dragon on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am

I think the British should put up signs in Northern Ireland listing the languages you can speak in if the police asks a question, because I haven't found any law prohibiting the Irish language.
#yafran

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:04 am

United Regions of Verona wrote:I think the British should put up signs in Northern Ireland listing the languages you can speak in if the police asks a question, because I haven't found any law prohibiting the Irish language.

I propose that only Norman French and Polish are legal to use in the UK.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 am

Arglorand wrote:
United Regions of Verona wrote:I think the British should put up signs in Northern Ireland listing the languages you can speak in if the police asks a question, because I haven't found any law prohibiting the Irish language.

I propose that only Norman French and Polish are legal to use in the UK.

Go back to Congress Poland you Slavs :P.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 am

I don't think the British government makes NI's laws anymore....

I imagine, they thought the man was being difficult and trying to cause an argument by not giving details in English. Which wasn't the case.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 am

You don't get it, do you?

It doesn't matter what language he answered in, it could have been French, German, Suomi or even Zulu if that was his style, the police obviously felt he was screwing with them by not answering them in English and charged him for it. Whether or not he was capable of speaking in English or not is for something to be determined by a court, which what do you know, is what's being done now.
Yes.

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:08 am

The Emerald Dragon wrote:

I imagine, they thought the man was being difficult and trying to cause an argument by not giving details in English. Which wasn't the case.

Oops yeah, they have their own parliament now XD

But they shouldn't have arrested him, but instead asked him to write it down or something.
#yafran

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:09 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:There are between 130k to 150k people who speak it as their native language, with around another 1million who have some knowledge of it, and there are more and more people taking lessons in irish especially here the north, there are new centres being set up all over the place, including a lot in unionist areas where people are really interested in learning it. So i dont think it is dying out, quite the opposite from what i have seen.

*snorts* A majority now speaks English for their everyday language. Now, can I please get the info on the survey you got this from, and it's date.

The Irish language is as useless as a dead human in my opinion, all it is a thing you can learn.

I have to learn it every school day, and it gets boring after a while. Bhí bron orm. I am sad that it's not an option.

Survey from 2011:http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-1-77m-say-they-are-able-to-speak-irish-400442-Mar2012/

More stats from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

Centre opening in east belfast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25654557

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 am

Speaking an official language to the police?

Such a very severe crime.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:

You don't get it, do you?

It doesn't matter what language he answered in, it could have been French, German, Suomi or even Zulu if that was his style, the police obviously felt he was screwing with them by not answering them in English and charged him for it. Whether or not he was capable of speaking in English or not is for something to be determined by a court, which what do you know, is what's being done now.

I do get it.

But a country should realise that there are other languages. And not arrest them, but try and get him to do something, perhaps write it down or get a translator or something.
#yafran

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 am

The Emerald Dragon wrote:

It has jurisdiction over some areas, like Diplomacy and Defense etc, the local government rules over others like health care and education. The UK operates a devolved system which allows the different countries to have some more freedom with their laws.

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:11 am

Survey from 2011:http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-1-77m-say-they-are-able-to-speak-irish-400442-Mar2012/

More stats from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

Centre opening in east belfast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25654557

Mmmm, thank you.

But if you look at people, and search for people speaking Irish everyday, I doubt you'll find many speaking it everyday normally.
#yafran

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General