NATION

PASSWORD

Ebola Outbreak In West Africa

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
West Afrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Ebola Outbreak In West Africa

Postby West Afrika » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:51 pm

IC: Shit, I'm screwed.

OOC: Shit.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... a/7214213/
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/w ... frica/904/
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/04/0 ... in-guinea/ (My apologies for using Fox)

A five-person team from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) departed for Guinea over the weekend to investigate an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus occurring in the African country, a representative from the CDC confirmed to FoxNews.com.

As of Tuesday, a total of 122 cases of Ebola have been reported, including 80 deaths, according to the Ministry of Health in Guinea. Suspected cases have also been reported in Sierra Leone, though none have been confirmed, according to the CDC.

The CDC sent its team of investigators to Guinea at the request of the Guinean government and the World Health Organization. Additionally, this week a smaller two-person team will go to Liberia, which shares a border with Guinea, to assist in investigating cases of Ebola that have emerged there.

Ebola virus is a rare, highly contagious and often deadly form of hemorrhagic fever -- and the current outbreak in Guinea is particularly unusual due to several factors, according to the CDC.

“[Zaire Ebola] has never been found outside of central Africa until this outbreak,” Dr. Barbara Knust, an epidemiologist in the viral special pathogens branch of the CDC, told FoxNews.com. “Also, Guinea had never had an Ebola outbreak before and this is the furthest west we’ve had one. There are some unusual things about this outbreak and certainly things to be investigated further to understand its origins.”

Knust told FoxNews.com last week that investigations typically center around trying to identify the origins of an outbreak, in addition to identifying and monitoring all people who may have been exposed to the virus.

“All of the Ebola viruses, we believe, have a wildlife reservoir. We think Ebola probably has a bat as a species that harbors virus and spills over into people and other animals. However, we’ve never been able to find which animal species is the animal that harbors the virus,” Knust said. “That’s another goal of the outbreak investigation, to try to investigate if we can trace back the initial spillover event from animal to person.”

If necessary, the CDC will also assist by putting together educational materials to help people in communities affected by the outbreak avoid further spread of the virus, which can be passed from person-to-person through bodily fluids.

“A lot of the education process is helping people understand if someone is sick they need to go to the hospital so people can be treated in a setting where they have equipment to protect themselves and others,” Knust said. “We also stress that if someone dies, funeral arrangements have to be made in a way that people preparing body for funeral are protected– wearing gloves, using disinfectant and other measures.”

So yeah. Do you think that this particular outbreak has the possibility of spreading to the the West? Do you think this outbreak will end VERY badly?

I'm thinking that it won't spread, as the governments of Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea, along with the CDC and WHO, are doing quite well keeping it contained. I also believe that this round will have a medium mortality rate.

Your thoughts, NSG?
Map
Desperauex is my shykey puppet.
Website
Blazedtown wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Nah, zombie apocalypse is probably the one disease that Africa is prepared for.

That's because zombies don't have shit on lions.

Proud Member of the Western Coalition

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Its the start if zombie apocalypse. If you haven't already bought a crossbow, it might not be a bad idea.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Blazedtown wrote:Its the start if zombie apocalypse. If you haven't already bought a crossbow, it might not be a bad idea.

Nah, zombie apocalypse is probably the one disease that Africa is prepared for.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

West Afrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Afrika » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Blazedtown wrote:Its the start if zombie apocalypse. If you haven't already bought a crossbow, it might not be a bad idea.

Nah, I'll by Daryl.

As for me,Imma use a silenced UMP45
Map
Website
Blazedtown wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Nah, zombie apocalypse is probably the one disease that Africa is prepared for.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

Nah, zombie apocalypse is probably the one disease that Africa is prepared for.

Go Vikings.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Hopefully it's contained quickly. My concern is the likelihood of it spreaing to more urban, improverished, dense cities in the region.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

West Afrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Afrika » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Sig'd.

That really makes me question the possibility of a Walking Dead-esque scenario.
Map
Website
Blazedtown wrote:

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:04 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Hopefully it's contained quickly. My concern is the likelihood of it spreaing to more urban, improverished, dense cities in the region.

Yeah, that could be really bad even in an area with well developed medical infrastructure.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Hopefully it's contained quickly. My concern is the likelihood of it spreaing to more urban, improverished, dense cities in the region.

Which is when it will mutate and the dead will finally walk the earth. Its gonna be awesome.
Go Vikings.

-The Trade Federation-
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Trade Federation- » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:06 pm

I hope they contain it faster than it spreads. I don't want ebola getting out of where it started and should be eradicated as much as possible.
A dominant heterosexual 15-year old male with Asperger's Syndrome that is a self-proclaimed airship history expert and loves mashed potatoes ! Yes girls, I am...alone ? Yeah, alone. I'm also a Smurf lover. A smurf lover, you ask yourself ? It's like a brony, but Smurfs.

Since I seem to get a lot of random telegrams, telegram me, I love telegrams and I'm single, so why the hell not ?

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Which is when it will mutate and the dead will finally walk the earth. Its gonna be awesome.

If that happens, I'll move me and my son Carl to a hill outside of Atlanta.

Hopefully you get the reference
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Nah, just sit inside and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 for a week or two.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Will you still sleep with your husband's best friend who left him for dead only he's not dead?
Go Vikings.

West Afrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Afrika » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Will you still sleep with your husband's best friend who left him for dead only he's not dead?

Then let's go to the CDC and get shitfaced!
Map
Website
Blazedtown wrote:

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm

West Afrika wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

What could possibly go wrong?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

West Afrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Afrika » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 pm

West Afrika wrote:

What could possibly go wrong?

A crazy doctor won't let you go, so an equally nutty zoning worker will stay and explode!
Map
Website
Blazedtown wrote:

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Ebola rapidly becomes less lethal as it moves from host to host.

It's a zoonosis, a parasite out of place. Humans are not it's intended victims, and it's not good at dealing with human biology. That's why it's so lethal. A good virus doesn't kill it's host. A good virus wants them to be alive so they can spread the virus.

But Ebola evolves quickly. If it spread to the world at large, it would soon become a mild encephalitic fever. Like West Nile.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Or cheetahs or even the humble mosquito with it's malaria.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:Ebola rapidly becomes less lethal as it moves from host to host.

It's a zoonosis, a parasite out of place. Humans are not it's intended victims, and it's not good at dealing with human biology. That's why it's so lethal. A good virus doesn't kill it's host. A good virus wants them to be alive so they can spread the virus.

But Ebola evolves quickly. If it spread to the world at large, it would soon become a mild encephalitic fever. Like West Nile.

Or starts the zombie apocalypse.
Go Vikings.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:17 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Or cheetahs or even the humble mosquito with it's malaria.

We have beaten all of these; truly we are masters over nature!

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:17 pm

This is no joke. I read about this the other day. Seems someone who was sick in a rural area of Guinea, managed to get to the Capital city of Conakry . This sick person could have contaminated some people along the way. The Capital City has the problem that it has an international airport. They do say modern diseases which could have been isolated in one part of the world can now be spread quickly via air travel.

Europe could be in trouble. Many Africans migrate to Europe. From this part of Africa they tended to migrate to the Spanish Canary Islands via boats, From there to Spain and or Italy and on to other European nations. From the Canary Islands the disease could be spread by those islanders with connections to the Americas. They really need to stop this disease in Guinea. CDC needs to find a cure.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Ebola rapidly becomes less lethal as it moves from host to host.

No, you're thinking of cordyceps.

Unless you mean the "rage virus," but that's actually prion based.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Rio Cana wrote:This is no joke. I read about this the other day. Seems someone who was sick in a rural area of Guinea, managed to get to the Capital city of Conakry . This sick person could have contaminated some people along the way. The Capital City has the problem that it has an international airport. They do say modern diseases which could have been isolated in one part of the world can now be spread quickly via air travel.

Europe could be in trouble. Many Africans migrate to Europe. From this part of Africa they tended to migrate to the Spanish Canary Islands via boats, From there to Spain and or Italy and on to other European nations. From the Canary Islands the disease could be spread by those islanders with connections to the Americas. They really need to stop this disease in Guinea. CDC needs to find a cure.

People need to stop panicking about Ebola. It's only very lethal for the first few series of victims. After that it rapidly drops off.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Rio Cana wrote:This is no joke. I read about this the other day. Seems someone who was sick in a rural area of Guinea, managed to get to the Capital city of Conakry . This sick person could have contaminated some people along the way. The Capital City has the problem that it has an international airport. They do say modern diseases which could have been isolated in one part of the world can now be spread quickly via air travel.

Spain and Italy would be much better prepared due to vastly superior medical facilities. If I'm not mistaken, the UK was able to keep someone from dying from it (laboratory accident), and that was the most deadly strain. I don't know which strain this is though.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

No, you're thinking of cordyceps.

Unless you mean the "rage virus," but that's actually prion based.

Stop ruining my life long dream of killing zombies. I even got my machete sharpened.
Go Vikings.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General