NATION

PASSWORD

Do you consider Mormonism to be Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Estormo wrote:
Ruridova wrote: :palm:

Nierr making Atheists look intolerant
= Ruridova facepalm.

Estormo assuming I'm an atheist
= Nierr facepalm.

Here ya go! :palm:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Nierr wrote:
Estormo wrote:Nierr making Atheists look intolerant
= Ruridova facepalm.

Estormo assuming I'm an atheist
= Nierr facepalm.

You lot veering off the topic = Mod warnings.

And calling Catholics "idol worshippers" was old 200 years ago.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Pew wrote:
Arglorand wrote:There were Christians before the Nicene Creed, and there were Christians that were against the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed does not make you a Christian. It makes you a believer in the Nicene Creed.

I'm not saying there weren't, but these days almost everyone even claiming to be Christian follows the Creed.

And Mormons don't.

So if it was legitimate to be a Christian and not follow the Nicene Creed 1500 years ago, I don't see why it shouldn't be now.
Last edited by Arglorand on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nierr wrote:Estormo assuming I'm an atheist
= Nierr facepalm.

You lot veering off the topic = Mod warnings.

And is equally true today as it was then.

The Catholic church as far removed from the original church of Christ and the Apostles as... the British Antarctic Territory is removed from being part of Britain proper.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Senyosu wrote:Yes, agreed /is an Buddhist Papist

Exactly.

Which is why we need another inquisition and have the Spaniards lead it because nobody would expect it.

CARDINAL! Poke her with the soft cushions!
Such heroic nonsense!

Castille de Italia
Minister

Founded: Mar 22, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Castille de Italia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:34 pm

I am a Latter-day Saint. I believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. Therefore, I am a Christian.
The Castillian Federation | La Fédération Castillia
Fraternité sous notre Fédération

Main Directory | Dramatis Personae | Pan Dienstadi World Airways | Latest Political Crisis

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Pew wrote:I'm not saying there weren't, but these days almost everyone even claiming to be Christian follows the Creed.

And Mormons don't.

So if it was legitimate to be a Christian and not follow the Nicene Creed 1500 years ago, I don't see why it shouldn't be now.

there have been Christian heretics throughout that time. they were still Christians, just not in the "club".

and you may as well face it that while it is typical in our more openminded days to consider all these Nicene creed believing denominations as Christians it was not so long ago (or even so long ago in this thread) when differences in beliefs within this same group had different believers proclaiming that various members weren't Christian for non-Nicene reasons.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Nierr wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You lot veering off the topic = Mod warnings.

And is equally true today as it was then.

The Catholic church as far removed from the original church of Christ and the Apostles as... the British Antarctic Territory is removed from being part of Britain proper.

Christ didn't have a church and im not so sure the apostles did either.
whatever

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Nierr wrote:And is equally true today as it was then.

Apostles certainly had church, not necessarily a dedicated building for that purpose, though. In the core sense of the term a "church" is just the congregation of believers in an area. It need not be a specialized building for that purpose, it could be someone's house, a barn, just out in the pastures somewhere..... whereever.
Such heroic nonsense!

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Nierr wrote:And is equally true today as it was then.

'Church' in this instance, refers to the early Christian community.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:26 pm

Mormons are fundamentally Christian, what with the whole Jesus as savior thing.

They are undeniably rather "innovative" in their theology, but still Christian.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Arglorand wrote:And Mormons don't.

there have been Christian heretics throughout that time. they were still Christians, just not in the "club".

and you may as well face it that while it is typical in our more openminded days to consider all these Nicene creed believing denominations as Christians it was not so long ago (or even so long ago in this thread) when differences in beliefs within this same group had different believers proclaiming that various members weren't Christian for non-Nicene reasons.

I'm aware, yes.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:08 pm

Tekania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:Christ didn't have a church and im not so sure the apostles did either.

Apostles certainly had church, not necessarily a dedicated building for that purpose, though. In the core sense of the term a "church" is just the congregation of believers in an area. It need not be a specialized building for that purpose, it could be someone's house, a barn, just out in the pastures somewhere..... whereever.

yeah. and a bit of community living.

so if one wanted to worship like the apostles I guess youd have to join a religious commune. that does let out the vast, vast majority of Christians across all time.
whatever

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Yeah, I do.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Tekania wrote:

yeah. and a bit of community living.

so if one wanted to worship like the apostles I guess youd have to join a religious commune. that does let out the vast, vast majority of Christians across all time.

No, not a religious commune. They weren't living in communes.... more like the modern day house-church movement.
Such heroic nonsense!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Tekania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yeah. and a bit of community living.

No, not a religious commune. They weren't living in communes.... more like the modern day house-church movement.

yes they were. they were doing so in acts ... remember how one couple got zapped by god because they held back some of their worldly goods instead of giving it all to the collective?
whatever

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Tekania wrote:

yes they were. they were doing so in acts ... remember how one couple got zapped by god because they held back some of their worldly goods instead of giving it all to the collective?

That's not why the couple was zapped.... they were "zapped" for engaging in deceit towards not just the people there, but to God. The issue was not that they kept money from their sale, it was that they presented it as if it were the entire proceeds from the sale. Peter's rebuke was not in keeping the money, but in the deceit the man and his wife engaged in. Everything was not being sold just to maintain a singular "Commune".... rather from time to time people were selling things to provide upkeep for the less fortuneate among them so no one was in want. It was a communal operation, yes.... but not a commune.
Such heroic nonsense!

Nord Amour
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nord Amour » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:23 pm

As far as I'm concerned, if you believe in Jesus, and believe that Jesus is in some way divine, (son of God, the Trinity, etc.) then you are Christian.

By that definition, Mormons are Christians.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Simple enough question, I'd think. Do you think that Mormonism, as is practiced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is Christian?

My family and I converted to Mormonism when I was around eight or so, and I was baptized that following year as a member of the LDS Church. In Sunday school, I was taught about Jesus Christ, God, the Gospels as well as the Book of Mormon, and generally about the religion. It is somewhat hazy, because I was so young and ended up leaving the Church a short time later, but during that time, I was taught that Mormons were Christians. That is an understanding I still have today.

But what does everyone else believe? Are Mormons, by any stretch of the term, Christian? If so, why? If not, why not?

marco Rubio is that you?

of course they are Christians.

but they do not hold the standard beliefs that the extremely vast majority of Christians hold.

Yeah, I am very much like Marco Rubio. Too much for my liking, actually.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:33 pm

If Mormons are not Christians then what does that make Christadelphians?
*Read before you respond people.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Mormons certainly have a unique view of what happened in North America.

Apparently there were several, completely unattested, urban civilisations in North America.

Who knew that?
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General