NATION

PASSWORD

Should Puerto Rico be granted statehood?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the US grant statehood to Puerto Rico?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 207

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Libertarian California wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:You're right. Plenty of non-citizens are also culturally American. :clap:

And plenty of citizens are not culturally American.

Citizenship is how we decide whether people are American are not. You know, the United States being based on civic nationalism and not ethnic nationalism. Why do I need to explain this to you?
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:You're right. Plenty of non-citizens are also culturally American. :clap:

Define culturally American.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Vashnal
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 02, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Why Hawai'i?

Postby Vashnal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote: I believe Hawaii ought to be stripped of its statehood and made a territory once , again.

Why does this need to happen? I have the idea that PR shouldn't be a state, which in my opinion, It can be if it is able to. As though Hawai'i? Please explain yourself

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:42 pm

There are more Puerto Ricans on the mainland US than in Puerto Rico. Their commonwealth status has really hampered their development and independence wouldn't be doing them any favors. Statehood would be best for them, they've been increasing the rate at which they lag behind the states in terms of educational development and a few other markers as things currently stand.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Over the thread pages the main argument I've seen is the cultural and linguistic difference thing and I have to say what about Louisiana, the Southwest, and Hawaii. They were and still are culturally and linguistically different look at South Africa, 22 different languages and they makes it work. The cultural and linguistic argument is one that is invalid to to the US roots of cultural and linguistic differences. This is why we have no official religion, America is supposed to be open to all kinds of people regardless of their culture, language, religion, or ethnicity. I say make all of our territories states and give them their rights!
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Vashnal wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote: I believe Hawaii ought to be stripped of its statehood and made a territory once , again.

Why does this need to happen? I have the idea that PR shouldn't be a state, which in my opinion, It can be if it is able to. As though Hawai'i? Please explain yourself

Ultimate Strawman Fallacy Fail: You literally wrote a false argument I never made for you to attack. LOL. Wow. :clap:

P.S.: Don't fake quote me again.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Sollis wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
So is Hawaii. And Alaska. For that matter, so are a bunch of states. Alabama, New Mexico, Mississippi, Virginia, Kentucky, etc. They all suck up more in federal funds than they contribute in taxes. Apparently that's not a big deal to most people. :p

Ironically, they all have a tendency to be states calling for Federal budget cuts and pride themselves in states' rights. I believe one of the only ex-confederate states that brings in more money to the Fed than it receives is Texas.

And Florida.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Goeiehoopland
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Goeiehoopland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 pm

The only pragmatic argument against it is the cultural and linguistic divide between Puerto Ricans and the mainland United States. Progressive rhetoric about how "liek, everyone has the rite to be American" aside, Puerto Ricans and Americans have distinct histories, cultural roots, and ways of life which have developed parallel, but not quite intertwined, with one another; these considerations weren't as massive a priority when granting statehood to territorial Hawaii and Alaska as their earlier inhabitants were either marginalized by or assimilated into a migrant American population, a phenomenon which has actually been quite the reverse in PR's relationship with its parent state.

I'm not opposed to statehood, but it would augment the cultural crisis faced by the United States as it progresses along its unprecedentedly rapid transformative process of becoming a bilingual and ethnic nonmajority state. That, paired with the consideration that Puerto Ricans consistently reject statehood referendums in favor of retaining their Commonwealth status (even the '12 referendum passed with so marginal a majority the PR Assembly opted not to recognize it), makes statehood a more complicated issue than "hey, that circular 51-star flag proposal looks kinda cool!"
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 pm

No have them become part of Texas instead.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

American culture is the culture that was established by the English colonists in the 1600s, and gradually developed a distinct identity due to the new lifestyles people lead, and incorporated additions from Western European immigrants, forming a culture that revolves around the English language, negative liberty, Jeffersonian Democracy, emphasis on individualism and family, and industriousness. American culture is the closest the world has to a pan-Western culture, and the artistic expressions of this country are essentially a mix of Western European styles (the most prominent being British, German, Irish, and French). However, there are prominent African, or African-descended contributions, which include jazz and rap music). American culture also has many home-grown elements, which arose out of various events in this country's history, ranging from wars to civil, economic, and natural disasters.

Someone who is culturally American doesn't necessarily have to like these things, but their long-term exposure to these things definitely has an effect on them on a person, which is where the American character came from.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Citizenship is how we decide whether people are American are not. You know, the United States being based on civic nationalism and not ethnic nationalism. Why do I need to explain this to you?

It was founded on the civic nationalism of bringing the 13 Colonies together into a single nation, which were pretty much all run by people of English, Scottish, French, German, Irish, and Dutch descent. Ethnically, these people were practically the same ethnic after just a few generations (ie, White Americans). Civic nationalism my ass. The country was founded by people who kept their ethnic group at the top. I see that blacks and Indians weren't part of the civic nationalist ideal. Probably because they were very different ethnic groups.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

American culture is the culture that was established by the English colonists in the 1600s, and gradually developed a distinct identity due to the new lifestyles people lead, and incorporated additions from Western European immigrants, forming a culture that revolves around the English language, negative liberty, Jeffersonian Democracy, emphasis on individualism and family, and industriousness. American culture is the closest the world has to a pan-Western culture, and the artistic expressions of this country are essentially a mix of Western European styles (the most prominent being British, German, Irish, and French). However, there are prominent African, or African-descended contributions, which include jazz and rap music). American culture also has many home-grown elements, which arose out of various events in this country's history, ranging from wars to civil, economic, and natural disasters.

Someone who is culturally American doesn't necessarily have to like these things, but their long-term exposure to these things definitely has an effect on them on a person, which is where the American character came from.

Wow. What a complete failure. It completely ignores the contributions of the Native cultures, the Spanish(who colonized America before the English) and the Dutch and it underemphasizes the contributions of the French. Where do the Amish, Creole, Cajun, Isleño, Mennonite, Seminole, Cherokee, Mexican-American, etc. etc. fit into this AMerican Culture?

I Define American Culture as a love of freedom and dedication to the principles of liberty, individuality and self-improvement. And that's all.

Hunter S. Thompson

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Wow. What a complete failure. It completely ignores the contributions of the Native cultures, the Spanish(who colonized America before the English) and the Dutch and it underemphasizes the contributions of the French. Where do the Amish, Creole, Cajun, Isleño, Mennonite, Seminole, Cherokee, Mexican-American, etc. etc. fit into this AMerican Culture?

I mentioned the Dutch, and the French. The Cajuns, Creoles, Mennonite, and Amish are extensions of the Africans, Germans, and French. The Native Americans did not contribution much on the account nearly all of them died. However, their music and fashion is popular amongst hipsters. I forgot about the Spaniards, but outside of 37,000 Isleños, architecture and city names in the Southwest, and establishing the northern borders of California and Texas, their influence was minute, especially when compared to the English and Germans.

As for the Mexican-"Americans"?

:rofl:

I Define American Culture as a love of freedom and dedication to the principles of liberty, individuality and self-improvement. And that's all.

A culture that is nothing but abstract ideals is not really a culture, but a way of thinking and perception, which can be adopted by anybody around the world.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14 pm

If the people of Puerto Rico want it, sure. It should basically be their decision.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Goeiehoopland wrote:The only pragmatic argument against it is the cultural and linguistic divide between Puerto Ricans and the mainland United States. Progressive rhetoric about how "liek, everyone has the rite to be American" aside, Puerto Ricans and Americans have distinct histories, cultural roots, and ways of life which have developed parallel, but not quite intertwined, with one another; these considerations weren't as massive a priority when granting statehood to territorial Hawaii and Alaska as their earlier inhabitants were either marginalized by or assimilated into a migrant American population, a phenomenon which has actually been quite the reverse in PR's relationship with its parent state.

I'm not opposed to statehood, but it would augment the cultural crisis faced by the United States as it progresses along its unprecedentedly rapid transformative process of becoming a bilingual and ethnic nonmajority state. That, paired with the consideration that Puerto Ricans consistently reject statehood referendums in favor of retaining their Commonwealth status (even the '12 referendum passed with so marginal a majority the PR Assembly opted not to recognize it), makes statehood a more complicated issue than "hey, that circular 51-star flag proposal looks kinda cool!"

How is becoming a ethnic nonmajority state a crisis? The ability of American culture to withstand such changes is actually a huge advantage in my books, we need more young workers in this country to support our aging population.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 pm

I support statehood.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Yes, and most of the opposition I've seen for it boils down to "50 is a nice number" and racism, so I propose we give Arizona back so we have an even number of both states and "dirty Mexicans".
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Whatever the people of Puerto Rico want, I'll support.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:'annex' Puerto Rico???? :?

Um, dude. Puerto Rico has been part of the United States since 1898 and their residents have been US Citizens since 1917. :p

Damn. That's one long naturalization program :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Grossdeutsches Kaiserreich
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Grossdeutsches Kaiserreich » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Honestly, i think only territories connected to the lower 48 should be introduced as states. not that there are any.

Even Hawaii and Alaska are iffy to me, Alaska less so. at least Alaska is attached to the same continent.

I don't know why Puerto Rico would want to become an official and permanent part of the American government anyway. I hope they don't ever plan to change their minds, 'cause we know how well the government takes that since the war between the states. They stop being Puerto Rico and start being just a province of the federal government, better a territory than a province in my opinion at least.

I really don't see why they want to become part of the United States anyway, i'd sure as hell would be glad to see my state get out of the union personally.
Reichsminister Holger Apfel, Ministry for foreign affairs.

Representative of his Majesty the Emperor.

Apply for an embassy in Germany

Join Greater Germania!

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

I mentioned the Dutch, and the French. The Cajuns, Creoles, Mennonite, and Amish are extensions of the Africans, Germans, and French. The Native Americans did not contribution much on the account nearly all of them died. However, their music and fashion is popular amongst hipsters. I forgot about the Spaniards, but outside of 37,000 Isleños, architecture and city names in the Southwest, and establishing the northern borders of California and Texas, their influence was minute, especially when compared to the English and Germans.

As for the Mexican-"Americans"?

:rofl:

A culture that is nothing but abstract ideals is not really a culture, but a way of thinking and perception, which can be adopted by anybody around the world.

If the Native nations had so little influence on American culture, then why do more than half the states have names derived from Native languages? If Mexican-AMerican culture isn't an American Culture, then why is Cinco De Mayo an American holiday and not a Mexican holiday? Do you even know what it celebrates?

WHat about the Spanish influence in the American SouthEAST? Seven states have Spanish-derived state names. Including Florida. And the oldest European-founded city in the United States is Saint Augustine, Florida(A spanish named state).

My idea of American Culture may seem a little broad to you. But that's because American Culture is just that broad. It's certainly not as narrow as your perception of it.
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter S. Thompson

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Grossdeutsches Kaiserreich wrote:Honestly, i think only territories connected to the lower 48 should be introduced as states. not that there are any.

Even Hawaii and Alaska are iffy to me, Alaska less so. at least Alaska is attached to the same continent.

I don't know why Puerto Rico would want to become an official and permanent part of the American government anyway. I hope they don't ever plan to change their minds, 'cause we know how well the government takes that since the war between the states. They stop being Puerto Rico and start being just a province of the federal government, better a territory than a province in my opinion at least.

I really don't see why they want to become part of the United States anyway, i'd sure as hell would be glad to see my state get out of the union personally.

The reason that Puerto Ricans want in is that independence would result in a drastic loss of funding and their current situation has them pay taxation for a relatively low amount of support and a lack of representation.

But we can't have odd numbers or Spanish speakers because that's hard.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Goeiehoopland
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Goeiehoopland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:How is becoming a ethnic nonmajority state a crisis? The ability of American culture to withstand such changes is actually a huge advantage in my books, we need more young workers in this country to support our aging population.

The crisis is one of identity, not one of commerce. Whether American culture and self-confidence has withstood the present demographic transformation has yet to be seen.

How on Earth does youth participation in the workforce relate to internal linguistic schism?
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:You can't annex territory that's already part of your country.

Just grant it independence and then invade it right after.

Grossdeutsches Kaiserreich
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Grossdeutsches Kaiserreich » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Frisivisia wrote:The reason that Puerto Ricans want in is that independence would result in a drastic loss of funding and their current situation has them pay taxation for a relatively low amount of support and a lack of representation.

But we can't have odd numbers or Spanish speakers because that's hard.

So in other words, Puerto Rico wants to become part of the United States, or at the very least wants to avoid independence....

Is so they can leech off the other 50 states?

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Puerto Rico can try again when they are prepared to contribute money to the treasury. We've got a big enough debt anyway.
Reichsminister Holger Apfel, Ministry for foreign affairs.

Representative of his Majesty the Emperor.

Apply for an embassy in Germany

Join Greater Germania!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General