NATION

PASSWORD

Should Puerto Rico be granted statehood?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the US grant statehood to Puerto Rico?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 207

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Libertarian California wrote:
Geilinor wrote:We'd still be fine if Puerto Rico became a state.

The island is a money pit.

What would that change? It still is as a territory and statehood could help its economy.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Sollis wrote:

Yeah, their credit rating was recently downgraded to "junk" status if I'm not mistaken.
However, does that mean we should then eject Detroit from the union?

No. But Detroit is American land.

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico is just a territory of the United States.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Estormo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estormo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Libertarian California wrote:No. They ought to either be given independence or remain as they currently are.

If given independence, it is essential they are a protectorate.
......ϟ Elven Supremacy is the only Truth! ϟ......
French Male, the women call me Goldenrod. I am a Roman Catholic, also an Opera, Wine, Fashion, and Classical music aficionado.
I am neither "Left" or "Right", but I am syncretic. I agree with both sides on certain issues and disagree with both sides on certain issues. There would be too much to explain, if you would like to know my views on certain things, then go to my factbook. Or just see me on NSG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsY4vK2BUzg

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Sollis wrote:Yeah, their credit rating was recently downgraded to "junk" status if I'm not mistaken.

Territories are American land.

Sollis
Envoy

Founded: Nov 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sollis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Sollis wrote:Yeah, their credit rating was recently downgraded to "junk" status if I'm not mistaken.

That makes it American land, just as much as anything else. Heck, there's more America in that island then there is Hawaii or Alaska, one of which is in the middle of nowhere and the other was once Russian.
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
Defcon 3
Defcon 4
Defcon 5
Mobilization.
Victories:
The Human-Biofuel War
Losses:
Note: All V/L are canon.
Law Student
Economist
Writer
Egalitarian
Sociocapitalist
Dudeist
This is to certify that all communications offered with this message are the product of Sollis and its officials.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Geilinor wrote:We'd still be fine if Puerto Rico became a state.

So is Hawaii. And Alaska. For that matter, so are a bunch of states. Alabama, New Mexico, Mississippi, Virginia, Kentucky, etc. They all suck up more in federal funds than they contribute in taxes. Apparently that's not a big deal to most people. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Sollis wrote:

That makes it American land, just as much as anything else. Heck, there's more America in that island then there is Hawaii or Alaska, one of which is in the middle of nowhere and the other was once Russian.

Puerto Rico was once Spanish, so I'd say it's about as American as Hawaii or Alaska.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The 2012 initiative was shody. It only gave options for the status quo or statehood.

No, it didn't.
On the second question about what alternative should be chosen, 61 percent chose statehood, 33 percent chose "sovereign free association" and 6 percent chose independence.

You can see that only about 3% of Puerto Rico's population (the 6% is out of the majority who wanted to change PR's status) wants independence.

Yes, they'd chose statehood over independence, they'd become the Dominican Republic 2.0 under independence. But that doesn't rule out the nature of the poll.

Also, the majority of people did not vote for independence. Only a plurality.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

Sollis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sollis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

So is Hawaii. And Alaska. For that matter, so are a bunch of states. Alabama, New Mexico, Mississippi, Virginia, Kentucky, etc. They all suck up more in federal funds than they contribute in taxes. Apparently that's not a big deal to most people. :p

Ironically, they all have a tendency to be states calling for Federal budget cuts and pride themselves in states' rights. I believe one of the only ex-confederate states that brings in more money to the Fed than it receives is Texas.
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
Defcon 3
Defcon 4
Defcon 5
Mobilization.
Victories:
The Human-Biofuel War
Losses:
Law Student
Economist
Writer
Egalitarian
Sociocapitalist
Dudeist
This is to certify that all communications offered with this message are the product of Sollis and its officials.

Estormo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estormo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Puerto Rico = 'Murigan Land
'Murigan Land = 'Muriga
......ϟ Elven Supremacy is the only Truth! ϟ......
French Male, the women call me Goldenrod. I am a Roman Catholic, also an Opera, Wine, Fashion, and Classical music aficionado.
I am neither "Left" or "Right", but I am syncretic. I agree with both sides on certain issues and disagree with both sides on certain issues. There would be too much to explain, if you would like to know my views on certain things, then go to my factbook. Or just see me on NSG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsY4vK2BUzg

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Sollis wrote:

The Philippines used to be a US Territory. But the Philippines were/are in no way, shape, or form, American lands.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Let's face it, the hardest thing is going to be dealing with the fallout of not having a nice round number of states anymore.
Yes.

Sollis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sollis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Sollis wrote:That makes it American land, just as much as anything else. Heck, there's more America in that island then there is Hawaii or Alaska, one of which is in the middle of nowhere and the other was once Russian.

Puerto Rico was once Spanish, so I'd say it's about as American as Hawaii or Alaska.

Like Texas. Or California. Or any other land in the US that belonged to the American Indians long before European imperialists even set foot on the land.
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
Defcon 3
Defcon 4
Defcon 5
Mobilization.
Victories:
The Human-Biofuel War
Losses:
Law Student
Economist
Writer
Egalitarian
Sociocapitalist
Dudeist

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Sollis wrote:

Yeah, but this was when Russia loved us.
:(

Either way, it is much more expensive to run an autonomous territory than a state.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Sollis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sollis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Sollis wrote:That makes it American land, just as much as anything else. Heck, there's more America in that island then there is Hawaii or Alaska, one of which is in the middle of nowhere and the other was once Russian.

The Philippines used to be a US Territory. But the Philippines were/are in no way, shape, or form, American lands.

They also fought (and won) their independence. We still have close diplomatic ties with them, however.
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
Defcon 3
Defcon 4
Defcon 5
Mobilization.
Victories:
The Human-Biofuel War
Losses:
Law Student
Economist
Writer
Egalitarian
Sociocapitalist
Dudeist

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Sollis wrote:

They also fought (and won) their independence. We still have close diplomatic ties with them, however.

No they didn't. They got their asses kicked and we controlled them until Japan invaded.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Filipinos did not become US citizens.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Let's face it, the hardest thing is going to be dealing with the fallout of not having a nice round number of states anymore.

That's pretty much the hard part. :p

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Sollis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sollis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Sollis wrote:They also fought (and won) their independence. We still have close diplomatic ties with them, however.

No they didn't. They got their asses kicked and we controlled them until Japan invaded.

And what do you think happened after Japan left and we got our hands back on it?
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
Defcon 3
Defcon 4
Defcon 5
Mobilization.
Victories:
The Human-Biofuel War
Losses:
Law Student
Economist
Writer
Egalitarian
Sociocapitalist
Dudeist

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Filipinos did not become US citizens.

Implying that citizenship is the only thing that makes someone culturally an American.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Sollis wrote:

And what do you think happened after Japan left and we got our hands back on it?

We gave them independence because ruling them wasn't worth it?

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Geilinor wrote:Filipinos did not become US citizens.

Implying that citizenship is the only thing that makes someone culturally an American.

You're right. Plenty of non-citizens are also culturally American. :clap:

Hunter S. Thompson

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Sollis wrote:

They didn't fight us after World War II, we peacefully gave them independence.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

And plenty of citizens are not culturally American.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Sollis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sollis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

See: Essex.

Geilinor wrote:
Sollis wrote:And what do you think happened after Japan left and we got our hands back on it?

They didn't fight us, we gave them independence through the Tydings-McDuffie Act.

But who do you think lobbied for it? Filipinos certainly wanted it, and they took the necessary actions towards it.
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
Defcon 3
Defcon 4
Defcon 5
Mobilization.
Victories:
The Human-Biofuel War
Losses:
Law Student
Economist
Writer
Egalitarian
Sociocapitalist
Dudeist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General