NATION

PASSWORD

The Republican Path To Victory II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Mkuki wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:They'll be RINO hunting again.

Should RINOs be included under the Endangered Species Act?

Definitely, their natural habitat is being destroyed by an invasive species.
Yes.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:The Republican Party is still a viable and living party, with a firm base in the more conservative areas of America. They represent their constituents, and when their constituents change, they will change with them.

What's the point of being in the more conservative areas if increasing numbers of moderates think you're crazy?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Pilotto wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Oh I read it.

You see I have seen this argument ad nauseam when ever the credibility of Fox is questioned.

Conservatives LOVE to raise it.

"Fox news is bullshit!"
"OH YEA LOOK AT MSNBC!"

It is nothing more then a distraction and it hardly props up Fox as better.

In fact, I think there was a link posted to a study which showed Fox viewers less informed in general. Msnbc did a little better but it was still pretty low.

Defend Fox on the claims made against them. Writing "BUT MSNBC!" is not a defense.

I do not intend to defend the credibility of Fox News, just to knock MSNBC watchers off of their sanctimonious perch.

Another Republican fallacy: That anyone who criticizes the journalistic dishonesty of FOXNews MUST be a strict MSNBC viewer.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Pilotto wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Oh I read it.

You see I have seen this argument ad nauseam when ever the credibility of Fox is questioned.

"Fox news is bullshit!"
"OH YEA LOOK AT MSNBC!"

In fact, I think there was a link posted to a study which showed Fox viewers less informed in general. Msnbc did a little better but it was still pretty low.

Defend Fox on the claims made against them. Writing "BUT MSNBC!" is not a defense.

I do not intend to defend the credibility of Fox News, just to knock MSNBC watchers off of their sanctimonious perch.

If you're the one who brought up MSNBC, that's kind of disingenuous statement.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Pilotto wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Oh I read it.

"Fox news is bullshit!"
"OH YEA LOOK AT MSNBC!"

Are you not making a rather large assumption the detractors are faithful MSNBC viewers?

I bash Fox all the time. About the only thing I have listened to MSNBC wise is Rachel Madow. Can you find any falsehoods raised by her?
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Pilotto wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Oh I read it.

"Fox news is bullshit!"
"OH YEA LOOK AT MSNBC!"

Right.

Except that nobody was defending MSNBC. In fact, I don't believe that anyone brought them up as a major topic of discussion until Fox News was criticized as a part of the Republican establishment, at which point it was "BUT LOOK AT MSNBC!"

Which, to be fair, is pretty much what Republicans do whenever their mouthpieces are criticized.

Pilotto
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilotto » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Pilotto wrote:I do not intend to defend the credibility of Fox News, just to knock MSNBC watchers off of their sanctimonious perch.

Another Republican fallacy: That anyone who criticizes the journalistic dishonesty of FOXNews MUST be a strict MSNBC viewer.

Are you honestly going to tell me that you do not watch MSNBC? Because if you are, then I'm calling bullshit.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:The Republican Party is still a viable and living party, with a firm base in the more conservative areas of America. They represent their constituents, and when their constituents change, they will change with them.

Except that they don't represent their constituents - quite the contrary. Look at the issue of gay marriage, for example - which has been consistently gaining ground over the last decade or two, while the GOP has purged its ranks of permissive Republicans (painted as 'RINO') to chase the fundamentalist minority.

That's the problem. Because American elections are rarely won by catering to your base - they are almost always almost entirely decided by persuading the mobile pool of swing voters (who are, by definition, more centrist overall) to swing one way or the other.
I identify as
a problem

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Pilotto wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Are you honestly going to tell me that you do not watch MSNBC? Because if you are, then I'm calling bullshit.

Man, how shitty is your cable and internet package that these are the only two options you think exist?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Pilotto wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

How would you know for sure what he watches?
Yes.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Geilinor wrote:

What's the point of being in the more conservative areas if increasing numbers of moderates think you're crazy?

That is because the Republican Party represents the right wing and conservative interest, which will not suddenly vanish. So long as they have a conservative base, they will have firm support.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

How do you define viable?
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Pilotto wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Anyone who criticizes Fox News must be a strict viewer of MSNBC? I think Fox is a highly biased and partisan channel, but I don't watch MSNBC either. In fact, I don't watch cable news anymore.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Geilinor wrote:What's the point of being in the more conservative areas if increasing numbers of moderates think you're crazy?

That is because the Republican Party represents the right wing and conservative interest, which will not suddenly vanish. So long as they have a conservative base, they will have firm support.

It won't be enough support to win national elections.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Pilotto wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

I swear you've got Deflective Questioning down better than a Scientologist.

You assumed anyone who criticizes FOXNews must *ONLY* watch MSNBC, like most Republicans.

I also watch CNN, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report and listen to NPR.

Assumption, busted.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Not naturally anyways. Hence those Poll Taxes 2.0 in the form of Voter ID.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Except that they don't represent their constituents - quite the contrary. Look at the issue of gay marriage, for example - which has been consistently gaining ground over the last decade or two, while the GOP has purged its ranks of permissive Republicans (painted as 'RINO') to chase the fundamentalist minority.

That's the problem. Because American elections are rarely won by catering to your base - they are almost always almost entirely decided by persuading the mobile pool of swing voters (who are, by definition, more centrist overall) to swing one way or the other.

They are probably able to attract moderates so long as they present economic policies that attract right-wing moderates, or run candidates who represent that so called 'libertarian' wing of the republican party.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Indeed. They have the Religious wacko vote simply for Democratic support of abortion.

The swing voters are always the key.

I have been a registered Republican (when I was younger and disenfranchised by Carter). I voted for Saint Ronnie and then was screwed over by his actions.

I went registered "no party" since then and it's fascinating to see both parties literally start frothing at the mouth when you tell them that you are not aligned.

Repubs have a hard time ahead. The gay issue is not so big. Hispanics are becoming a force and all their deportation, border safety talk will give them problems in that area.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Geilinor wrote:What's the point of being in the more conservative areas if increasing numbers of moderates think you're crazy?

Except the "conservative" interest is mobile. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot remain conservative while firmly planted in the 1950s. The Republicans must either move left or become a reactionary party; only one of those options is electorally viable.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

They are probably able to attract moderates so long as they present economic policies that attract right-wing moderates, or run candidates who represent that so called 'libertarian' wing of the republican party.

Moderates? No....probably not with this batch. Moderates tend to be willing to negotiate over issues and negotiating is a sign of traitor to the republican cause.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Geilinor wrote:

It could be. There won't be another major political party emerging that's to the right of the GOP; they're nothing more than a few policy and ideology changes from appealing to more than half of the country again.
Yes.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Edlichbury wrote:

Except the "conservative" interest is mobile. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot remain conservative while firmly planted in the 1950s. The Republicans must either move left or become a reactionary party; only one of those options is electorally viable.

It really doesn't need to move 'left', when it can take 'right' wing positions on the topics of the day, without rejecting them altogether.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

On the contrary, catering to the libertarian wing is suicide - libertarians represent about a single percent of American voters.

Much better to come up with some kind of moderate platform that appeals to the majority of Americans, rather than trying to find a niche they can identify with 100%.
I identify as
a problem

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Pilotto wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

I don't.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Geilinor wrote:It won't be enough support to win national elections.

It could be. There won't be another major political party emerging that's to the right of the GOP; they're nothing more than a few policy and ideology changes from appealing to more than half of the country again.

Nationes Pii Redivivi seems to be saying that they don't need to change at all.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General