NATION

PASSWORD

Ron Paul

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Ron Paul

Postby Valipac » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Communist Mindrili wrote:No it's not. You do not borrow to invest. You save to invest. It's called Keynesian idiocy.

Explain buying the house that you're gonna live in for presumably the next 50-odd years. Who among the American people who isn't a celebrity didn't have to borrow to make that investment?

A house is not an asset or an investment until you own it (ie it is fully paid off). Until that point, it is a liability.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Communist Mindrili
Attaché

Founded: Mar 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Mindrili » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:Furthermore, these so-called "investments" aren't necessarily good investments.

As a general rule, politicians spend money where it will benefit politicians--which may not be the most productive use for the money. The most productive use for the money is best found in the market, where people have a vested interest in finding the best return. Politicians are only interested in delivering votes.

Government caused the problem, and only the market can fix it.

Well said Bluth Corporation!

Communist Mindrili
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Mindrili » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Communist Mindrili wrote:No it's not. You do not borrow to invest. You save to invest. It's called Keynesian idiocy.

Explain buying the house that you're gonna live in for presumably the next 50-odd years. Who among the American people who isn't a celebrity didn't have to borrow to make that investment?

If I am going to live there for 50 years, or any period of time really, I am buying a DWELLING, not making and INVESTMENT.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Communist Mindrili wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:

If I am going to live there for 50 years, or any period of time really, I am buying a DWELLING, not making and INVESTMENT.

It's an investment in a future of not having your ass (or the rest of you, for that matter) on the street.

Communist Mindrili
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Mindrili » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Milks Empire wrote:

It's an investment in a future of not having your ass (or the rest of you, for that matter) on the street.[/quote]

So in that case, RENT is an investment. You are wrong.

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Of course buying a dwelling is an investment. You are investing in a legal residence which allows you to legally work and thus make money. But I think this is a bit of an irrelevant tangent. The stimulus bill is not a dwelling.

Communist Mindrili
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Mindrili » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Phenia wrote:Of course buying a dwelling is an investment. You are investing in a legal residence which allows you to legally work and thus make money. But I think this is a bit of an irrelevant tangent. The stimulus bill is not a dwelling.

So if I rent, I am not allowed to work? Holy shit I've been employed illegally. I gas I have to quit my job.

Phenia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Phenia wrote:Of course buying a dwelling is an investment. You are investing in a legal residence which allows you to legally work and thus make money. But I think this is a bit of an irrelevant tangent. The stimulus bill is not a dwelling.

So if I rent, I am not allowed to work?

I don't even know how the hell you pulled that strawman out of your butt nor do I want to be around when you start burning it.

Holy shit I've been employed illegally. I gas I have to quit my job.

...damn, too late to escape the fumes. Yikes.

Jahka
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jahka » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Allanea wrote:So your point is, Libertarians must be compliant with YOUR magical definition of libertarianism? There's plenty of pro-life libertarians.

You can't be pro-life and libertarian. You're one or the other. Call yourself both only if you're prepared to be called a liar and a hypocrite.

Well, to be fair. A libertarian could say the un-born child has a right to live...

I am against abortion, but I am pro-choice. I just kinda ignore it. :P That's what real libertarians should do, lol.

Communist Mindrili
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Mindrili » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:48 pm

You are investing in a legal residence which allows you to legally work and thus make money. Your words not mine.

Phenia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:50 pm

You are investing in a legal residence which allows you to legally work and thus make money. Your words not mine.

My words don't mean "If I pay rent I can't work." Rent can be seen as an investment too and for the same reasons. A house of course is a bigger and more long-term investment.

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Phenia wrote:

My words don't mean "If I pay rent I can't work." Rent can be seen as an investment too and for the same reasons. A house of course is a bigger and more long-term investment.

Rent is in no way an investment. There is no possible return from rent. You don't even need residence for a job, you only need a PO Box.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 pm

ron paul was ... interesting. but i'd still rather have who we've got.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Valipac wrote:
Phenia wrote:My words don't mean "If I pay rent I can't work." Rent can be seen as an investment too and for the same reasons. A house of course is a bigger and more long-term investment.

Rent is in no way an investment. There is no possible return from rent. You don't even need residence for a job, you only need a PO Box.

There's a definite return. It's called you're not in a cardboard box in a back alley crawling with feral cats. Not every return need be monetary, and, while we're on that topic, not every investment need be made with money.

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Ron Paul in charge of U.S=

In every country in the world.
Last edited by Lizardiar on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:49 am

Lizardiar wrote:Ron Paul in charge of U.S=

Johnson tried the same smear against Goldwater, and it was just as classless, absurd, wrong, and childish then as it is now.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:51 am

Milks Empire wrote:There's a definite return. It's called you're not in a cardboard box in a back alley crawling with feral cats. Not every return need be monetary, and, while we're on that topic, not every investment need be made with money.

You have a very broad definition of investment, one I get the impression is wrong.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:55 am

I don't support Ron Paul, but given that he runs on a platform of non-intervention, this accusation is rather bizarre...

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:15 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Well, for the sake of argument, wouldnt the Government regulating the female reproductive system be a little anti-libertarian?

Well...not necessarily.

If one holds that life begins at conception (I don't), then banning abortions is no different than banning murder--which libertarians, of course, support totally. To these libertarians, it's not "regulating the reproductive system" any more than banning assualt is "regulating the fist." What is being forbidden is doing something to another human being, not doing something to or with one's own body.

It's perfectly consistent with libertarianism, assuming one holds the premise I mentioned.

And that sort of 'libertarianism' completely ignores the fact that the fetus is doing something to another human being without the other person's consent. Very consistent. :roll:
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:16 am

Never mind the fact that what qualifies as "another human being" is a subjective mind field.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:17 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:Never mind the fact that what qualifies as "another human being" is a subjective mind field.

What's a mind field?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:20 am

Galloism wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:Never mind the fact that what qualifies as "another human being" is a subjective mind field.

What's a mind field?

A field full of psychoactive brains, arn't you paying attention? Go play Psychonauts.

Political Spectrum
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Political Spectrum » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am

What? Is that because he warned of both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars BEFORE 9/11? Is that because of his non-interventionist foreign policy? What exactly are you saying? You don't make sense.

Zicrious
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zicrious » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 am

South East Europe wrote:I hate how people support Ron Paul, he is a complete jerk. They really don't know anything about him. There is one thing that people need to realize.
1. He opposed the ADA and said disabled people are insignificant. Meaning he didnt want any disabled people to get an education or healthcare or pursue a career. If the ADA were not passed, taxes would be much higher because at least 1% of the population would be eliminated from the workforce.

So what?

Everyone knows they're a burden on the families and society, so unlike Hitler instead of inhumanely killing them lets just deny them health care and a shot at a career (not that they had one) and spare the tax payers a few dollars and not put burden on anyone else for their nature given miss fortunes.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 am

Gift-of-god wrote:And that sort of 'libertarianism' completely ignores the fact that the fetus is doing something to another human being without the other person's consent. Very consistent. :roll:

Unless it was rape, you know what you're getting yourself into.

Like I said, I don't accept the premise that a fetus is a separate human being in its own right. But if one does, opposition to abortion is perfectly consistent with libertarianism.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General