NATION

PASSWORD

LGBT Rights & Issues Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Ok people. Let's not derail the new thread with he Nazi debates. It was starting to get interesting again. Kleinfort. Do explain how raising the question of nature is a logical fallacy.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Dragoria
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:

You, can't advocate genocide, and then play the victim. Doesn't work that way.

I understand that those of you who do not have love for your families would not get angry at such a statement, but there are those who still value family members and hearing something like that resurrects a previously existing extremely bad anger problem.
But hearing someone say they think everyone's LGBT family members/friends should be killed off is something everyone should just be a-okay with?
"Alliances are fun. I'm in. Unless this is an alliance which I already joined, in which case I'm out. Quint's an asshole." ~Quintolania
"I thought you were like the manliest man ever. If someone told me you were a brilliant swordsman and hunted deer on foot and unarmed, I wouldn't have thought that it was much of an exaggeration." ~Murbleflip

Que Sera, Sera

Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik
Envoy

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik wrote:I understand that those of you who do not have love for your families would not get angry at such a statement, but there are those who still value family members and hearing something like that resurrects a previously existing extremely bad anger problem.
But hearing someone say they think everyone's LGBT family members/friends should be killed off is something everyone should just be a-okay with?

I would love for you to point out whenever I said any of that.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Did you see my response about how the gene/genes that assist in causing homosexuality may be on the x chromosome, and may affect females as well as males. Specifically it affects how likely a person will be attracted to men. Doesn't explain lesbians but there is that. In addition, women who have gay siblings tend to have more children then those who do not.
http://news.sciencemag.org/math/2008/06 ... good-women

Interesting, though male bisexuality would seem to be somewhat inconsistent with this model unless I missed something. ;)

The problem is most studies focus on male homosexuality. As far as I know there are very few studies on lesbians, let alone on bisexuals. Although the advantage for bisexuals is that they can be either child-bearing or non-childbearing.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik wrote:I understand that those of you who do not have love for your families would not get angry at such a statement, but there are those who still value family members and hearing something like that resurrects a previously existing extremely bad anger problem.

Gotta, say I side with OFR on this one unless you can actually point out where he said that, I might have missed it. ;)

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 pm

ALMF wrote:It seems to me the bakers reaction appears to be a good indication of the moral charictor of the religion in question. Despicable being the moral charictor in question. The same applies to monotheism in general and faith in general. As to practitioners it tends to move them in that direction but it is escapable. In any case why is religion (of all things) given a pass on discrimination.
It isn't really the book's fault that people use it as an excuse to try to justify their own hatred and bigotry. Book's just an inanimate object, people are the ones actively deciding to treat other people crappily for something that doesn't affect them at all.
"Alliances are fun. I'm in. Unless this is an alliance which I already joined, in which case I'm out. Quint's an asshole." ~Quintolania
"I thought you were like the manliest man ever. If someone told me you were a brilliant swordsman and hunted deer on foot and unarmed, I wouldn't have thought that it was much of an exaggeration." ~Murbleflip

Que Sera, Sera

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dragoria wrote: But hearing someone say they think everyone's LGBT family members/friends should be killed off is something everyone should just be a-okay with?

Gotta, say I side with OFR on this one unless you can actually point out where he said that, I might have missed it. ;)

Please don't. It will continue the threadjack.
Just A Little though

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:27 pm

You, can't advocate genocide, and then play the victim. Doesn't work that way.

I understand that those of you who do not have love for your families would not get angry at such a statement, but there are those who still value family members and hearing something like that resurrects a previously existing extremely bad anger problem.

I'm sorry, Hypothetically I would think my grandfather being a Nazi, if he had been one, who are pretty much the worst human beings in modern history, would preclude me from taking offense at any slander in his direction"

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Interesting, though male bisexuality would seem to be somewhat inconsistent with this model unless I missed something. ;)

The problem is most studies focus on male homosexuality. As far as I know there are very few studies on lesbians, let alone on bisexuals. Although the advantage for bisexuals is that they can be either child-bearing or non-childbearing.

No but my point is that the gene wouldn't make sense, I mean men only have one X chromosome, while women have two and therefor while it logical follows that female heterozygotes could be bisexual, male bisexuals shouldn't exist.

Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik
Envoy

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Osterreichischen Faschistischen Republik » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm sorry, Hypothetically I would think my grandfather being a Nazi, if he had been one, who are pretty much the worst human beings in modern history, would preclude me from taking offense at any slander in his direction"

Well it's great that you're able to assume the entirety of humanity would react the same way.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 pm

ENOUGH!!! OFRs grandfather being a Nazi has nothing to do with this thread. Just drop it, seriously.
Just A Little though

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Dragoria wrote: But hearing someone say they think everyone's LGBT family members/friends should be killed off is something everyone should just be a-okay with?

His repeated statements of "My idea for a cure for homosexuality would get me banned" make me strongly suspect that he was implying killing them.

Other sexualities don't need to be cured, of course.

Que Sera, Sera

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Not every member of the nazi party bought into to the ideology some people did it because they were basically forced to in order to continue working in Germany. :)

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
His repeated statements of "My idea for a cure for homosexuality would get me banned" make me strongly suspect that he was implying killing them.

Other sexualities don't need to be cured, of course.

Ah thanks for clarifying your position. Still I subscribe to innocent until proven guilty myself. ;)

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Look, OFR, your grandfather being a Nazi isn't a problem to me. My problem is you have no reason to justify the murder of homosexuals besides the fact it is disgusting to you, which you have no evidence for. Perception shouldn't set policy and certainly not with human beings.
Last edited by Kelinfort on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

No but my point is that the gene wouldn't make sense, I mean men only have one X chromosome, while women have two and therefor while it logical follows that female heterozygotes could be bisexual, male bisexuals shouldn't exist.
Or the male Y carries the "into chicks" gene which is supposed to block the X's "yay dudes" gene but goes screwy in some cases... Which would make lesbian/bisexual women not fit the model?
It's a complex system, genetics.

Que Sera, Sera

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Neutraligon wrote:ENOUGH!!! OFRs grandfather being a Nazi has nothing to do with this thread. Just drop it, seriously.

I share this sentiment. Guys please knock it the hell off.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Llamalandia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Since I know of no studies on bisexuals, I can't answer that. Which was my point. And male bisexuality, unlike homosexuality, does not lessen the chance of survival. It seems more like a nuetral trait, since they can and do have children. Neutral traits aren't selected against, so it would not disappear. For all we know a separate gene/genes affect how attracted to women a person is, thus both are possible. But there are no studies so I can't back up that idea.
Just A Little though

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Neutraligon wrote:ENOUGH!!! OFRs grandfather being a Nazi has nothing to do with this thread. Just drop it, seriously.

Seriously, drop it. I was hesitant about restarting this, despite it's being my idea. OFR's grandfather is not the topic unless he was or is gay and is suffering abridgment of his rights.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Sorry right, they should just be castrated and subject to torture....

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Ok people. Let's not derail the new thread with he Nazi debates. It was starting to get interesting again. Kleinfort. Do explain how raising the question of nature is a logical fallacy.

No, saying something is wrong because it is unnatural is a logical fallacy.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Seriously, drop it. I was hesitant about restarting this, despite it's being my idea. OFR's grandfather is not the topic unless he was or is gay and is suffering abridgment of his rights.

Umm, is this in support of me???
Just A Little though

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Still. How is telling us that we should be separated from our families because we have "cognitive disabilities" any different than saying your grandfather is an idiot?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Well it's great that you're able to assume the entirety of humanity would react the same way.

Not that they would, that they should. Nazi's don't deserve defense, or sympathy.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
Meh, i just always assumed he was an NSA agent anyway. :p

Did you see my response about how the gene/genes that assist in causing homosexuality may be on the x chromosome, and may affect females as well as males. Specifically it affects how likely a person will be attracted to men. Doesn't explain lesbians but there is that. In addition, women who have gay siblings tend to have more children then those who do not.
http://news.sciencemag.org/math/2008/06 ... good-women

Interesting. The claims make me go :eyebrow: I will have to look up the study itself......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General