NATION

PASSWORD

LGBT Rights & Issues Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Israel and Pan-America
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Israel and Pan-America » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Lalaki wrote:The US is ever closer to having all 50 states recognize same-sex marriage.

We must begin preparations for the next developed country to work on. Italy, perhaps.

This thread, so the OP seems to say, is open for carefully-written debate. I will say that I disagree that all 50 states will accept same-sex or "gay" marriage.

There are states that have constitutional prohibitions on it. Furthermore why should all states be forced to accept it? That does not seem fair. My state's constitution prohibits this sort of behavior outright.

I'm thinking about making an OP all about gay marriage in the United States.

Personally: against it, totally from a Biblical Christian standpoint. I don't hate "gay" people, I do hate their lifestyle. It is a Christian doctrine to love the sinner but hate the sin.

More info on this: http://www.gotquestions.org/love-sinner-hate-sin.html

By the way, if I'm not actually allowed to talk here and this is only for certain people, I apologize. Please let me know if this is the case.
Last edited by New Israel and Pan-America on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The United States of America is a Judeo-Christian state. Deal with it.
On judicial overreach -- viewtopic.php?f=20&t=302977
On the first amendment -- viewtopic.php?f=20&t=301422
On secularism -- viewtopic.php?f=20&t=301217
On creationism in public schools -- viewtopic.php?f=20&t=301516

Romans 10:9 - If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:15 pm

New Israel and Pan-America wrote:
Lalaki wrote:The US is ever closer to having all 50 states recognize same-sex marriage.

We must begin preparations for the next developed country to work on. Italy, perhaps.

This thread, so the OP seems to say, is open for carefully-written debate. I will say that I disagree that all 50 states will accept same-sex or "gay" marriage.

There are states that have constitutional prohibitions on it. Furthermore why should all states be forced to accept it? That does not seem fair. My state's constitution prohibits this sort of behavior outright.

Personally: against it, totally from a Biblical Christian standpoint. I don't hate "gay" people, I do hate their lifestyle. It is a Christian doctrine to love the sinner but hate the sin.

By the way, if I'm not actually allowed to talk here and this is only for certain people, I apologize. Please let me know if this is the case.

A ruling from the Federal bench that state constitutions with clauses prohibiting gay marriage are unconstitutional - out of line with the US Constitution - would invalidate those clauses (amendments). The national Constitution trumps state constitutions.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

A ruling from the Federal bench that state constitutions with clauses prohibiting gay marriage are unconstitutional - out of line with the US Constitution - would invalidate those clauses (amendments). The national Constitution trumps state constitutions.

When did the Supreme Court (I'm guessing) did that anyway?
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:A ruling from the Federal bench that state constitutions with clauses prohibiting gay marriage are unconstitutional - out of line with the US Constitution - would invalidate those clauses (amendments). The national Constitution trumps state constitutions.

They haven't, not yet and to be honest, I don't think they would if a case came their way. It would be another 5-4 split and a sanctimonious majority from Scalia about marriage and thinly-veiled "states' rights." Lower Federal courts have done so, though.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Israel and Pan-America » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:A ruling from the Federal bench that state constitutions with clauses prohibiting gay marriage are unconstitutional - out of line with the US Constitution - would invalidate those clauses (amendments). The national Constitution trumps state constitutions.

State constitutions have to be approved by Congress whenever they wish to adopt a new one, as far as I know. It is true that the national constitution trumps state constitutions. State constitutions and state laws, for that matter, have to be in accordance with the national constitution. The problem: the national constitution does not provide for gay marriage. It is neither permitted nor denied. Regardless, there is nothing unconstitutional about denying marriage to homosexual people.

Where in the Constitution does it provide for such a thing?

George Washington viewed sodomy (18th century word for homosexuality in general) with 'abhorrence and detestation'. We should always try to base our laws off of the values made clear by our Founding Fathers.

Here's my source, by the way.

“Head Quarters, V. Forge, Saturday, March 14, 1778: At a General Court Martial whereof Colo. Tupper was President (10th March 1778) Lieutt. Enslin of Colo. Malcom’s Regiment tried for attempting to commit sodomy, with John Monhort a soldier; Secondly, For Perjury in swearing to false Accounts, found guilty of the charges exhibited against him, being breaches of 5th. Article 18th. Section of the Articles of War and do sentence him to be dismiss’d the service with Infamy. His Excellency the Commander in Chief approves the sentence and with Abhorrence and Detestation of such Infamous Crimes orders Lieutt. Enslin to be drummed out of Camp tomorrow morning by all the Drummers and Fifers in the Army never to return; The Drummers and Fifers to attend on the Grand Parade at Guard mounting for that Purpose” [emphasis in the original].

(End quote)

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?a ... t(gw110081))

Romans 10:9 - If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:32 pm

State constitutions have to be approved by Congress whenever they wish to adopt a new one, as far as I know. It is true that the national constitution trumps state constitutions. State constitutions and state laws, for that matter, have to be in accordance with the national constitution. The problem: the national constitution does not provide for gay marriage. It is neither permitted nor denied. Regardless, there is nothing unconstitutional about denying marriage to homosexual people.

Where in the Constitution does it provide for such a thing?

George Washington viewed sodomy (18th century word for homosexuality in general) with 'abhorrence and detestation'. We should always try to base our laws off of the values made clear by our Founding Fathers.

Here's my source, by the way.

“Head Quarters, V. Forge, Saturday, March 14, 1778: At a General Court Martial whereof Colo. Tupper was President (10th March 1778) Lieutt. Enslin of Colo. Malcom’s Regiment tried for attempting to commit sodomy, with John Monhort a soldier; Secondly, For Perjury in swearing to false Accounts, found guilty of the charges exhibited against him, being breaches of 5th. Article 18th. Section of the Articles of War and do sentence him to be dismiss’d the service with Infamy. His Excellency the Commander in Chief approves the sentence and with Abhorrence and Detestation of such Infamous Crimes orders Lieutt. Enslin to be drummed out of Camp tomorrow morning by all the Drummers and Fifers in the Army never to return; The Drummers and Fifers to attend on the Grand Parade at Guard mounting for that Purpose” [emphasis in the original].

(End quote)

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?a ... t(gw110081))

The Constitution does not have to mention something explicitly in order for that something to be constitutional, nor is it required that there be a direct prohibition of something. You're requiring the writers of the document to be clairvoyant. Federal and Supreme Court rulings are made on the spirit of the Constitution all the time. After all, where is health insurance or female contraception mentioned in the Constitution? How could the Court even take the Hobby Lobby case and decide that they had a First Amendment right to freedom of religion if health insurance or female contraception is nowhere mentioned?

As for George Washington's views on homosexuality, they're his personal opinion and so irrelevant. Besides, the people he was punishing had different views and they fought bravely to throw off the British yoke.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

They haven't, not yet and to be honest, I don't think they would if a case came their way. It would be another 5-4 split and a sanctimonious majority from Scalia about marriage and thinly-veiled "states' rights." Lower Federal courts have done so, though.

The Supreme Court didn't go for "states' rights" in Loving v. Virginia, so I hope they stay with that precedent. There's no way to know with this Court. SCOTUS's authority to strike down state marriage statutes already exists.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:They haven't, not yet and to be honest, I don't think they would if a case came their way. It would be another 5-4 split and a sanctimonious majority from Scalia about marriage and thinly-veiled "states' rights." Lower Federal courts have done so, though.

The Supreme Court didn't go for "states' rights" in Loving v. Virginia, so I hope they stay with that precedent. There's no way to know with this Court.

I know, that's why I'm not hopeful.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Israel and Pan-America » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Farnhamia wrote:The Constitution does not have to mention something explicitly in order for that something to be constitutional, nor is it required that there be a direct prohibition of something. You're requiring the writers of the document to be clairvoyant. Federal and Supreme Court rulings are made on the spirit of the Constitution all the time. After all, where is health insurance or female contraception mentioned in the Constitution? How could the Court even take the Hobby Lobby case and decide that they had a First Amendment right to freedom of religion if health insurance or female contraception is nowhere mentioned?

As for George Washington's views on homosexuality, they're his personal opinion and so irrelevant. Besides, the people he was punishing had different views and they fought bravely to throw off the British yoke.

You're absolutely right. The problem is, there is no definite reason to declare that homosexuality is by any means a constitutional principle, or, in your own words, 'in the spirit of the Constitution'.

The personal opinions of the founding fathers, moreover, those of the main founding father and our first President, George Washington, are by all means relevant. I cannot believe you think you have the right to pontificate on which founding father's view is relevant or not. We should take the sound opinions of our founding fathers into consideration always whenever we make a law or do anything in the conducting of our government.
Last edited by New Israel and Pan-America on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Australia, Finland, and Germany are also good candidates for recognizing it.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Farnhamia wrote:The Constitution does not have to mention something explicitly in order for that something to be constitutional, nor is it required that there be a direct prohibition of something. You're requiring the writers of the document to be clairvoyant. Federal and Supreme Court rulings are made on the spirit of the Constitution all the time. After all, where is health insurance or female contraception mentioned in the Constitution? How could the Court even take the Hobby Lobby case and decide that they had a First Amendment right to freedom of religion if health insurance or female contraception is nowhere mentioned?

We should take the sound opinions of our founding fathers into consideration always whenever we make a law or do anything in the conducting of our government.

Why should we always consult them? The founding fathers are dead.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:46 pm

You're absolutely right. The problem is, there is no definite reason to declare that homosexuality is by any means a constitutional principle, or, in your own words, 'in the spirit of the Constitution'.

The personal opinions of the founding fathers, moreover, those of the main founding father and our first President, George Washington, are by all means relevant. I cannot believe you think you have the right to pontificate on which founding father's view is relevant or not. We should take the sound opinions of our founding fathers into consideration always whenever we make a law or do anything in the conducting of our government.

We're not talking about homosexuality itself but the right of people who are homosexual to have the benefits and protections under the law that their heterosexual fellow citizens have, including the right to marry the person of their choice. George Washington probably didn't think women should vote or that slavery was necessarily a bad thing. He also thought, I imagine, that having your doctor draw a pint of your blood when you were sick was a good thing. Times change, people and nations evolve in their thoughts and actions. We should draw up our laws for the modern day and not wonder what George Washington would think.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:50 pm

No. We should take the sound principals of logic, what the constitution laid out, and what advisors and people that know stuff are saying. The founding fathers lived in the 1700's. Their time is passed. Time to move on.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Israel and Pan-America » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Farnhamia wrote:We're not talking about homosexuality itself but the right of people who are homosexual to have the benefits and protections under the law that their heterosexual fellow citizens have, including the right to marry the person of their choice. George Washington probably didn't think women should vote or that slavery was necessarily a bad thing. He also thought, I imagine, that having your doctor draw a pint of your blood when you were sick was a good thing. Times change, people and nations evolve in their thoughts and actions. We should draw up our laws for the modern day and not wonder what George Washington would think.

Homosexuality, however, is offensive in both God's sight, George Washington's sight, the sight of most Americans, the sight of most state constitutions, the sight of most state laws, and the sight of most Christians and people of faith in general.

The founding fathers are way smarter and more intelligent than you and I or anyone in this day and age. The fact is this: these men were geniuses. They modeled this nation on Biblical Christian principles. Commissioned after the signing of the Declaration of Independence was the Liberty Bell, which was inscribed with a passage from Leviticus.

I will always listen to the founding fathers over the modern day Internet pontiff.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Israel and Pan-America » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

No. We should take the sound principals of logic, what the constitution layer out, and what advisors and people that know stuff are saying. The founding fathers lived in the 1700's. Their time is passed. Time to move on.

In that case, the Constitution, written by these outdated gentlemen, ought to be abolished, and a new one, perhaps more politically correct and atheistic, ought to be made?

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Farnhamia wrote:We're not talking about homosexuality itself but the right of people who are homosexual to have the benefits and protections under the law that their heterosexual fellow citizens have, including the right to marry the person of their choice. George Washington probably didn't think women should vote or that slavery was necessarily a bad thing. He also thought, I imagine, that having your doctor draw a pint of your blood when you were sick was a good thing. Times change, people and nations evolve in their thoughts and actions. We should draw up our laws for the modern day and not wonder what George Washington would think.

Homosexuality, however, is offensive in both God's sight, George Washington's sight, the sight of most Americans, the sight of most state constitutions, the sight of most state laws, and the sight of most Christians and people of faith in general.

The founding fathers are way smarter and more intelligent than you and I or anyone in this day and age. The fact is this: these men were geniuses. They modeled this nation on Biblical Christian principles. Commissioned after the signing of the Declaration of Independence was the Liberty Bell, which was inscribed with a passage from Leviticus.

I will always listen to the founding fathers over the modern day Internet pontiff.

The founding fathers said "Fuck the British", not "Fuck the queers".

History isn't that difficult, mate.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm

God does not exist, George Washington is dead, and those that find it disgusting are doing so irrationally, so none of what you said are of any validity.

They were geniuses, they started an ill thought out rebellion against the British government to get out of paying their taxes, ended with an even bigger debt, and then patched together a constitution and a bill of rights based on a series of compromises because their first government was an utter failure. They were deists, and Jefferson famously edited an edited an edition of the New Testament getting rid of all the miracle nonsense and only keeping what he percieved to be Jesus' moral teaching.

I tried listening to the ashes of my grandpa, no sound.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
No. We should take the sound principals of logic, what the constitution laid out, and what advisors and people that know stuff are saying. The founding fathers lived in the 1700's. Their time is passed. Time to move on.

In that case, the Constitution, written by these outdated gentlemen, ought to be abolished, and a new one, perhaps more politically correct and atheistic, ought to be made?

No, read my post again. I even said what the constitution laid out.

Though a complete secular constitution, removing phrases like "Under God", "In God we Trust," etc. Would be nice.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Israel and Pan-America » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Alright, I will have none of this. I will not hear this bigoted, anti-American, anti-Constitution, anti-Founders nonsense.

You can have your opinions, I will have mine.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:09 pm

New Israel and Pan-America wrote:Alright, I will have none of this. I will not hear this bigoted, anti-American, anti-Constitution, anti-Founders nonsense.

You can have your opinions, I will have mine.

Please give me an example of where these things are present.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Roski wrote:

They probably did think though "fuck the queers" and not in the sexual sense, as it was the bloody 1700's.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Australia, Finland, and Germany are also good candidates for recognizing it.

Wait, what? Finland doesn't recognize gay marriage? I'm surprised.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Frankly temple prostitution is impossible to compare to homosexuals, marriage equality, or their so-called "lifestyles". These were hardly prostitutes who did it for the glory or financial necessity of it, they were sexual slaves in all meanings of the word. So comparing it to those suffering under the abusive system of temple prostitution is incredibly insulting.
Last edited by Benuty on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Roski wrote:

They probably did think though "fuck the queers" and not in the sexual sense, as it was the bloody 1700's.

They didn't write it down as law, though.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Australia, Finland, and Germany are also good candidates for recognizing it.

Wait, what? Finland doesn't recognize gay marriage? I'm surprised.

I'm surprised Germany doesn't either.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General