NATION

PASSWORD

The term African-American.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm

It's dumb. Someone who is a descendant of slaves from hundreds of years ago is an "African-American" and when my family came here VERY, VERY recently I'm just "white".

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:But generally whites know where in Europe their ancestors came from and either call themselves that IE Italian-American or just White American. Blacks generally don't know the exact tribe their ancestors came from since the coastal African tribes and Portuguese didn't really care when they were enslaving them. So they have to either call themselves African-American or Black American. Or both they can just call themselves American.

I only find people calling themselves Italian-American, for example, when they have ancestors thats recently come from Italy. But after 400 years?

I can only help but laugh at your lack of historical knowledge. The vast majority of Italian immigration to the United States occurred in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There was a very small number of Italian-Americans in colonial America, but nothing significant.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:
He's African. He's from Africa, unless he was actually born in the Netherlands.

Culturally he is Afrikaans. So I could see the term "Afrikaner-American" taking precedence over "African-American" but that doesn't make the second one false.

I'm from AMerica and I'm part Scottish and part Puerto Rican. :?

So what are you culturally? A blend?

You'll have to make up a new term, then. Although I think I am culturally more American than any ancestry I come from, hence my preference for that label.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Siaos wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:I only find people calling themselves Italian-American, for example, when they have ancestors thats recently come from Italy. But after 400 years?

What do you propose we call Americans with genes originating in Africa? We need to call them something for the census, after all.

Black?
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

General Assembly Ambassador of
Azarite Ministry of Foreign Affairs
GZ Info
Request from the Great Zavi people:Please, help REPEAL "Clean Prostitute Act."

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
I'm from AMerica and I'm part Scottish and part Puerto Rican. :?

You'll have to make up a new term, then. Although I think I am culturally more American than any ancestry I come from, hence my preference for that label.

I'm a clown. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

European-American

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:I only find people calling themselves Italian-American, for example, when they have ancestors thats recently come from Italy. But after 400 years?

I can only help but laugh at your lack of historical knowledge. The vast majority of Italian immigration to the United States occurred in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There was a very small number of Italian-Americans in colonial America, but nothing significant.

Remember what I said about the 3 generations?
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Some people consider ancestral heritage important to be as important as National identty which is legitamate

although there is the continued problem of media still identify black skinned persons as being distinct, I recall a athletics winner who was identified by the commentator as a Black American runner and wondering to myself why her blackness was important to either her running or her representing the US. There is still a dominant perception of 'Normal' within a given society that is reflected in the need to identify ethnic distinctiveness from the 'Norm' and that needs to be challenged.

and isn't someone from Mexico an American-American?:)

and is Obama legitimately an African-American?

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I can only help but laugh at your lack of historical knowledge. The vast majority of Italian immigration to the United States occurred in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There was a very small number of Italian-Americans in colonial America, but nothing significant.

Remember what I said about the 3 generations?

So why do you keep bringing up "400 years"?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:What do you propose we call Americans with genes originating in Africa? We need to call them something for the census, after all.

Black?

Okay, but what about other ethnicities like Asians? We can't call them yellow since it's a racial slur. And by your logic they shouldn't be called Asian-American or break them up into Chinese-Americans and Indian-Americans and Japanese-Americans because many of them have broken off from their original culture for the most part and have joined the mainstream American culture.
Last edited by Siaos on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Great Zavi wrote:Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans?

They're called Americans when you're speaking about the people of the US collectively. However, within America it is usually not so useful to make discussions about everyone because different parts of US society face different issues. As a result, US society is split up into various groups along a variety of lines... sex, income and ethnicity are the most common. Other countries do this too but the ethnicities they use are different... to reflect their differing demographics. I'm not American so I'm not so aware of the common categories but another one is Hispanic.

What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American.

That's probably not true. A Chinese-American is an American of Chinese descent and/or origin. As the generations go on there is likely more cross-cultural contact, which is how people can have multiple ethnicities.

So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years? And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

***And why are North Africans considered white?****

African-American has always struck me as meaning an American of African-American descent and/or origin. Basically, that means that a black person born in, say, Kenya who then moves to the US is a Kenyan-American rather than an African-American (assuming they consider theirself American at all). But if they met someone who was an African-American and they had children, the resultant offspring would be part Kenyan-American and part African-American... Something like this anyway, my thinking's a bit rushed right now.
Last edited by Forsher on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Cetacea wrote:Some people consider ancestral heritage important to be as important as National identty which is legitamate

although there is the continued problem of media still identify black skinned persons as being distinct, I recall a athletics winner who was identified by the commentator as a Black American runner and wondering to myself why her blackness was important to either her running or her representing the US. There is still a dominant perception of 'Normal' within a given society that is reflected in the need to identify ethnic distinctiveness from the 'Norm' and that needs to be challenged.

and isn't someone from Mexico an American-American?:)

and is Obama legitimately an African-American?

He's Halfrican-American

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans? What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American. So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years? And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

***And why are North Africans considered white?****

Because whites are immediately who you think of when someone says ''America.''

The African-American just emphasizes that it's not white. If you just say American, I would think you mean a white person...

Thats where the issue lies.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Geilinor wrote:1.) Not necessarily.
2.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_American

I dont see a point in your link.

Look at the title. The point is that the term "European-American" does exist.

Personally, I don't use it much, but then I don't use "Caucasian" either.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

European-American

Nope. Nope. Nope. Don't want to.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:European-American

Yes, ACCEPT THE TRUTH!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:But generally whites know where in Europe their ancestors came from and either call themselves that IE Italian-American or just White American. Blacks generally don't know the exact tribe their ancestors came from since the coastal African tribes and Portuguese didn't really care when they were enslaving them. So they have to either call themselves African-American or Black American. Or both they can just call themselves American.

I only find people calling themselves Italian-American, for example, when they have ancestors thats recently come from Italy. But after 400 years?

I still use "Anglo-American" after 384 years.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
Because whites are immediately who you think of when someone says ''America.''

The African-American just emphasizes that it's not white. If you just say American, I would think you mean a white person...

Thats where the issue lies.

why's it a problem though?

I'm sure when you say African, you immediately imagine a black person too.

The USA has always had a white majority culture, it just comes with the whole package, I mean look at the majority of Hollywood stars and presidents, whites I tell you...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I just call african americans 'black' because it's easier to say. I've never been told I offended someone by calling them black.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Yes, ACCEPT THE TRUTH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxMGI5HaA4

Hunter S. Thompson

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

The problem is, I would have to call myself Anglo-German-Irish-Italian-American.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:They do, however, have ancestral ties.

In that case, aren't we all African-american? This tie is 400 years removed.

The term for humanity as in ethnic groups didn't really emerge until countries appeared. That would be the days in the fertile crescent.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:Yes, ACCEPT THE TRUTH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxMGI5HaA4

We all know that the joker had various problems throughout his life, such as racial misidentity

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:

We all know that the joker had various problems throughout his life, such as racial misidentity

Yes. That's the problem we all remember the Joker best for; racial misidentity. :p

Hunter S. Thompson

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Siaos wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

The problem is, I would have to call myself Anglo-German-Irish-Italian-American.

I'm part Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, Dutch, Danish, Algonquin, and probably black and/or Chippewa. I still use Anglo-American because there is a lot of English in there and it is something that I identify with in a cultural sense.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General