NATION

PASSWORD

The term African-American.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:Is an Afrikaner who moves to America and becomes a citizen an African-American?

He'd be an Afrikaner-American, because we know the specific background. African-American tends to be used when we don't know. If you know what country someone or someone's ancestors are from, use the name of the country or the ethnic group.

Then why aren't white Americans called European-Americans?
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

General Assembly Ambassador of
Azarite Ministry of Foreign Affairs
GZ Info
Request from the Great Zavi people:Please, help REPEAL "Clean Prostitute Act."

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:Is an Afrikaner who moves to America and becomes a citizen an African-American?

Nope. He's Dutch.

But Afrikaners are no more Dutch than Americans are British.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Geilinor wrote:He'd be an Afrikaner-American, because we know the specific background. African-American tends to be used when we don't know. If you know what country someone or someone's ancestors are from, use the name of the country or the ethnic group.

Because not every white person is from Europe.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Geilinor wrote:He'd be an Afrikaner-American, because we know the specific background. African-American tends to be used when we don't know. If you know what country someone or someone's ancestors are from, use the name of the country or the ethnic group.

Italian Americans, Franco-AMericans, etc.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

I did once have a friend from Uganda who remarked that it was irritating to constantly have to choose the "other" category in American forms. Seeing as how he was just African and not in any sense American.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Geilinor wrote:If you don't want people to say African-American, stop saying Mexican-American, European-American, and Asian-American.

My point is that these other terms seem more appropriate at that time 1.) because they actually have ties to whatever the prefix may be. The people who were brought in through the Atlantic Slave Trade do not, but are still called so. 2.) The people who brought the enslaved Africans aren't called European-American, they're just American.

1.) Not necessarily.
2.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_American
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Libertarian California wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Nope. He's Dutch.

Tell that to the Texans.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:My point is that these other terms seem more appropriate at that time 1.) because they actually have ties to whatever the prefix may be. The people who were brought in through the Atlantic Slave Trade do not, but are still called so. 2.) The people who brought the enslaved Africans aren't called European-American, they're just American.

1.) Not necessarily.

Hardly anyone identifies as a European-American.

White is much more practical.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Great Zavi wrote:Then why aren't white Americans called European-Americans?

And not every black person is from Africa.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Tell that to the Texans.

What?

So Texans are going to think that Afrikaners are modern Dutchmen?

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

America Libertaria
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby America Libertaria » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Geilinor wrote:

He'd be an Afrikaner-American, because we know the specific background. African-American tends to be used when we don't know. If you know what country someone or someone's ancestors are from, use the name of the country or the ethnic group.

Actually he'd just be American. Unless he was a dual citizen. Someone's ethnic background is irrelevant. What matters is their culture. Using anything other than American is just a sign of ethnic pride and failed assimilation.

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by America Libertaria on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Great Zavi wrote:

Yes. I do not use the term African-American.

I say blacks and I say whites.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:44 pm

America Libertaria wrote:

Actually he'd just be American. Unless he was a dual citizen. Someone's ethnic background is irrelevant. What matters is their culture. Using anything other than Anerican is just a sign of ethnic pride and failed assimilation.

Go home Mr. Roosevelt, you're drunk.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Tell that to the Texans.

What?

Or maybe Americans think Afrikaners are the Texans of South Africa.

Hunter S. Thompson

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Great Zavi wrote:

A black person not from Africa would simply be black American or [insert country demonym here]-American.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
What?

How does that even work?

Wat

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Great Zavi wrote:

But generally whites know where in Europe their ancestors came from and either call themselves that IE Italian-American or just White American. Blacks generally don't know the exact tribe their ancestors came from since the coastal African tribes and Portuguese didn't really care when they were enslaving them. So they have to either call themselves African-American or Black American. Or both they can just call themselves American. Or Terran-American.
Last edited by Siaos on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

How does that even work?

Wat

Ask the Uyghurs. ;)
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter S. Thompson

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Great Zavi wrote:Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans? What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American. So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years?

In most cases, it has been less than 400 years. Still more than 3 generations, but let's be accurate -- the slave trade continued bringing in new people as late as the 19th century.

And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

They don't have a connection to Africa, but they do have a distinct culture, which is different from that of other Americans. It's useful to have a name for it. Also, you can still use "Asian-American" for people that have been in the US more than 3 generations.

***And why are North Africans considered white?****

Genetically, they have more in common with Europeans than they do with sub-Saharan Africans.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:My point is that these other terms seem more appropriate at that time 1.) because they actually have ties to whatever the prefix may be. The people who were brought in through the Atlantic Slave Trade do not, but are still called so. 2.) The people who brought the enslaved Africans aren't called European-American, they're just American.

1.) Not necessarily.

I dont see a point in your link.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Nope. He's Dutch.

He's African. He's from Africa, unless he was actually born in the Netherlands.

Culturally he is Afrikaans. So I could see the term "Afrikaner-American" taking precedence over "African-American" but that doesn't make the second one false.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Siaos wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:And not every black person is from Africa.

But generally whites know where in Europe their ancestors came from and either call themselves that IE Italian-American or just White American. Blacks generally don't know the exact tribe their ancestors came from since the coastal African tribes and Portuguese didn't really care when they were enslaving them. So they have to either call themselves African-American or Black American. Or both they can just call themselves American.

I only find people calling themselves Italian-American, for example, when they have ancestors thats recently come from Italy. But after 400 years?
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Nope. He's Dutch.

He's African. He's from Africa, unless he was actually born in the Netherlands.

Culturally he is Afrikaans. So I could see the term "Afrikaner-American" taking precedence over "African-American" but that doesn't make the second one false.

I'm from AMerica and I'm part Scottish and part Puerto Rican. :?

Hunter S. Thompson

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:But generally whites know where in Europe their ancestors came from and either call themselves that IE Italian-American or just White American. Blacks generally don't know the exact tribe their ancestors came from since the coastal African tribes and Portuguese didn't really care when they were enslaving them. So they have to either call themselves African-American or Black American. Or both they can just call themselves American.

I only find people calling themselves Italian-American, for example, when they have ancestors thats recently come from Italy. But after 400 years?

What do you propose we call Americans with genes originating in Africa? We need to call them something for the census, after all.
Last edited by Siaos on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Great Zavi wrote:Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans? What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American. So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years? And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

***And why are North Africans considered white?****

Because whites are immediately who you think of when someone says ''America.''

The African-American just emphasizes that it's not white. If you just say American, I would think you mean a white person...
Last edited by God Kefka on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General