NATION

PASSWORD

The term African-American.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Its the same reason we use terms like Asian-American or Mexican-American. These people may not have a direct tie to their ancestral home, but its part of their heritage.

It's like calling me French

I mean, they're American. But since their ancestry ties them to Africa, I fail to see what's so problematic about them wanting that added to their identity.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:It's like calling me French

I mean, they're American. But since their ancestry ties them to Africa, I fail to see what's so problematic about them wanting that added to their identity.

They have no connections to Africa

Ozzy
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Ozzy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
If they like the "African-American" label, there is no reason they shouldn't use it.

Wouldn't it be a weird weird world if we asked people what they wanted to be called and them called them it?

Isn't that how the world already works? If a group demands to be called whatever they may prefer, then the rest of society usually labels them as such.
Last edited by IM Meen on Wed May 15, 1996 1:29 pm, edited 756 times in total.

Long live the Global Liberation Army!
Leader of NS Hoofington Reapers

In this world we stand for what we love, for what is right and for our rights. If you don't stand for either one of these you don't stand at all. You're crippled mentally. Your rights give you your life, that life gives you the right to stand for what is right for the world and one of those rights in the world is standing strong for those you love and what you love as a whole.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
God Kefka wrote:Well I think it's simply that whites are a majority collectively. Hence you don't need to say, ''European American.'' The default American is white.

There may have been a colored Nazi soldier but when I say Nazi soldier, you immediately imagine a white soldier. The default position, the commonality of the majority, should not need special mention.

Let's be honest here... if someone said to me ''imagine an American right now.'' I'm most definitely imagining a white person...

With a beer belly and screaming "'Murica!"

I did imagine the beer belly part I'll confess...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Ancestraly, they do.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:37 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:With a beer belly and screaming "'Murica!"

Redneck randall is what I think. Then with Canada I think a forest park ranger. Then with UK I think chavs. Then with Australia I think surfers.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:They have no connections to Africa

Ancestraly, they do.

That's like me calling myself a French-American because some ancestors went from France 400 years into Quebec and then into NYC.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ancestraly, they do.

That's like me calling myself a French-American because some ancestors went from France 400 years into Quebec and then into NYC.

...Why not?

Seriously, why the fuck not? Is there a law against this or what?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ancestraly, they do.

I don't oppose that. If you feel it's a part of your identity, who am I to tell you otherwise? If I have kids, and they want to be referred to as Spanish-American, is that objectionable? I don't think so.

Black people in the US feel strongly enough about their African ancestry, they want it to be a part of who they are.
Slava Ukraini

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:That's like me calling myself a French-American because some ancestors went from France 400 years into Quebec and then into NYC.

...Why not?

I'll do it.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:That's like me calling myself a French-American because some ancestors went from France 400 years into Quebec and then into NYC.

I don't oppose that. If you feel it's a part of your identity, who am I to tell you otherwise? If I have kids, and they want to be referred to as Spanish-American, is that objectionable? I don't think so.

Black people in the US feel strongly enough about their African ancestry, they want it to be a part of who they are.

I guess I will want my kids to be Swedish-Israelis.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:...Why not?

I'll do it.

Go for it.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 pm

It's a way of indicating that much like Irish immigrants, Italian immigrants, Polish immigrants, and those from throughout the world, the slaves who were brought over on the ships had their own cultural heritage, beliefs, songs, stories, and values, ones that they brought with them on their journey. Unfortunately, due to concerted efforts on the parts of their "owners", much of this rich history was lost over time. This is simply an attempt to reclaim it. I'm not sure why anyone is bothered in the slightest over this.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I guess I will want my kids to be Swedish-Israelis.

If they identify as such, I fail to see the problem.
Slava Ukraini

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Redneck randall is what I think. Then with Canada I think a forest park ranger. Then with UK I think chavs. Then with Australia I think surfers.

what's a chav?

The other ones are pretty close to my stereotypes too...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:I'll do it.

Go for it.

Check my sig.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
It would be different. People would stop telling me I am not a real Nazi.

If it'll make you feel better, I think it's to prevent them from holding Nazis in higher regard. You do kind of upset the curve. :)

And to think I used to get complaints from serious Nazis who thought I was making them look bad...
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 pm

It's convenient. When discussing the history and/or current situation of the slaves brought to the Americas from Africa, their descendants, or more recent immigrants, what other term are you going to use?
Last edited by Utceforp on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:51 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
If they like the "African-American" label, there is no reason they shouldn't use it.

It's like me calling myself French because my grandfather's parents are from Quebec.

You could if you felt an emotional attachment to that heritage.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:51 pm

Utceforp wrote:It's convenient. When discussing the history and/or current situation of the slaves brought to the Americas from Africa, or their descendants, what other term are you going to use?

Mars American.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:It's like me calling myself French because my grandfather's parents are from Quebec.

You could if you felt an emotional attachment to that heritage.

The only nationality attachments I have is Sweden and I'm a citizen.

Nanzheng
Secretary

Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nanzheng » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

That's presumptuous as hell. There is a non insignificant percentage of blacks who have African names, celebrate African holidays, have traced back their family line to Africa, etc.

So who are you to say they have no connection to Africa?

Secondly, their ancestral point of origin is fairly important in describing their history in this country. And it unfortunately continues to play a role in how they are perceived and treated to this day. As others have mentioned, they have a distinct culture or sub-culture within the broader current of American culture, and many elements of that culture can be traced back to their African heritage (Blues as a musical genre, for example, can be traced back to certain West African musical forms). Educate yourself.

As for myself I tend to use "Black" or "People/Person of Color".

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:57 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:Redneck randall is what I think. Then with Canada I think a forest park ranger. Then with UK I think chavs. Then with Australia I think surfers.

what's a chav?

I can't think about Australia without thinking of the Crocodile Hunter. I'm sure the average person in Sydney doesn't go mucking around wrestling crocodiles, but that's still the first mental image that comes to mind.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:Redneck randall is what I think. Then with Canada I think a forest park ranger. Then with UK I think chavs. Then with Australia I think surfers.

what's a chav?

Ever seen Ali G, he's a chav
( Image)

Suprised Australians are associated with surfers rather than the Dundee/Steve Irwin style Bushman.

Nanzheng
Secretary

Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nanzheng » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 am

Leningrad Union wrote:It's like me calling myself French because my grandfather's parents are from Quebec.

There are some people with that background who might describe themselves as French. So what? Who are you to say they have no claim to that? If they still have a French last name, and speak French, and go out of their way to call attention to their French background, wouldn't you and most people start thinking of them as "French"?

One's Identity is at least partially determined by what one wants to be - it is formed out of the somewhat blurry intersection between how you choose to identify yourself and how others perceive you.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General