NATION

PASSWORD

The term African-American.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stovokor
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovokor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:21 pm

All the african americans i've dealt with seem to prefer being called black, and though I might get flamed for this, it is only a name.
If i'm responding to you directly, it is generally safe to disregard everything that was said and assume i'm calling you a twit.
I Roleplay as such my nation is not a representation of my political, economic, and spiritual beliefs.

Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:I'm Ashkenazi Jew, Nordic Swede, Iroquois and Finnish in that order.

Hmm... Have you ever considered clowning? It's a culture in and of itself and would eliminate a lot of hyphens.

I'm a juggalo already

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 pm

Stovokor wrote:All the african americans i've dealt with seem to prefer being called black, and though I might get flamed for this, it is only a name.

Why would you be flamed for it? When it comes down to it, white, African-American, Latino, Indian, Asian, Caucasian, black, it's all only a name. People might prefer one over the other but of course it's all only a name.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Hmm... Have you ever considered clowning? It's a culture in and of itself and would eliminate a lot of hyphens.

I'm a juggalo already

Well, It's better than being Dutch. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Stovokor wrote:All the african americans i've dealt with seem to prefer being called black, and though I might get flamed for this, it is only a name.

Flamed for what?
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm

I have observed it depends on the age of the individual.

I call people whatever they want to be called........
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Siaos wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
I'm part Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, Dutch, Danish, Algonquin, and probably black and/or Chippewa. I still use Anglo-American because there is a lot of English in there and it is something that I identify with in a cultural sense.

Well, your background puts my background to shame! xD I would have more.. except that my mom's side of the family happened to be completely made up of racist German Texans who refused to marry anyone except other Germans. On the bright side, they became rich on being the first people to bring Hereford cows to Texas... until they drank away the money. But I digress.

It's probably because my family has been in North America for a long time and there has been a lot of immigration and mixing of people from different European countries.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:I'm a juggalo already

Well, It's better than being Dutch. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

That was amazing.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Siaos wrote:The problem is, I would have to call myself Anglo-German-Irish-Italian-American.

I'm part Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, Dutch, Danish, Algonquin, and probably black and/or Chippewa. I still use Anglo-American because there is a lot of English in there and it is something that I identify with in a cultural sense.

Curiosity question. Who was your connection to the Native Americans?

I only ask as I am curious as I am fascinated at how many people claim to be (insert percentage) native American and yet can't point to a connection.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

West Florida
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Florida » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:39 pm

I am an American. Period. Anyone born here is and all who come here in search of a free life and an opportunity to improve that life are too.

American should be an additive free term. Lady Liberty doesn't care about your race, religion or orientation.

I maybe a white gay male atheist too. But I am an American before and not second to those things.

(This is not my blind or blanket endorsement of America's foreign policy and war crimes. I'm not saying America is always right. Far from it.)
I'm a CAPITALI$T (test) & a Libertarian (compass). I'm also a VOLUNTARYIST
Consider me a 6 on the Kinsey Scale & a 7 on the Dawkins Scale.
Above all else, I'm an OBJECTIVIST.
Band: Say Anything | Sport: Basketball | Place: NYC | Food: Thai | Booze: Gin | Movie: The Master |
Book: The Plot Against America | TV show: Breaking Bad | Star Trek Captain: Janeway
Quote:
"In a capitalist society, all human relationships are voluntary. Men are free to cooperate or not, to deal with one another or not, as their own individual judgments, convictions and interests dictate." - Ayn Rand

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:42 pm

West Florida wrote:I am an American. Period. Anyone born here is and all who come here in search of a free life and an opportunity to improve that life are too.

American should be an additive free term. Lady Liberty doesn't care about your race, religion or orientation.

I maybe a white gay male atheist too. But I am an American before and not second to those things.

(This is not my blind or blanket endorsement of America's foreign policy and war crimes. I'm not saying America is always right. Far from it.)

I am a white bi male atheist and American but I am a global citizen about all those things.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I only ask as I am curious as I am fascinated at how many people claim to be (insert percentage) native American and yet can't point to a connection.

My great great grandmother, female line all the way back, for the Algonquin.

The Chippewa (if there is any) was someone's housekeeper in 19th century Pennsylvania who he knocked up. The guy didn't have a wife, just a housekeeper and a daughter. One source says the housekeeper was Chippewa, but others say she was white or Mulatto.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

My great great grandmother, female line all the way back, for the Algonquin.

The Chippewa (if there is any) was someone's housekeeper in 19th century Pennsylvania who he knocked up. The guy didn't have a wife, just a housekeeper and a daughter. One source says the housekeeper was Chippewa, but others say she was white or Mulatto.

Thank you.

Like I said it was curiosity. As I said I have heard people make claims and yet have no reference.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:54 pm

West Florida wrote:I am an American. Period. Anyone born here is and all who come here in search of a free life and an opportunity to improve that life are too.

If people self-identify as [insert prefix here]-American, then it is rude to deny them their separate identity.

If you want to call yourself American without any modifiers, that's fine, but you don't get to tell other people what to call themselves.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

If people self-identify as [insert prefix here]-American, then it is rude to deny them their separate identity.

If you want to call yourself American without any modifiers, that's fine, but you don't get to tell other people what to call themselves.

But most blacks aren't African, they are just of African descent

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Leningrad Union wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

But most blacks aren't African, they are just of African descent

If they like the "African-American" label, there is no reason they shouldn't use it.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:But most blacks aren't African, they are just of African descent

If they like the "African-American" label, there is no reason they shouldn't use it.

Wouldn't it be a weird weird world if we asked people what they wanted to be called and them called them it?
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Gotta love culturally unaware people not understanding that cultures have distinctions and that there's been a lot of shit thrown around at that particular community.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Wouldn't it be a weird weird world if we asked people what they wanted to be called and them called them it?

It would be different. People would stop telling me I am not a real Nazi.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

It would be different. People would stop telling me I am not a real Nazi.

If it'll make you feel better, I think it's to prevent them from holding Nazis in higher regard. You do kind of upset the curve. :)

Hunter S. Thompson

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:But most blacks aren't African, they are just of African descent

It's like me calling myself French because my grandfather's parents are from Quebec.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I see it as an identity thing. They want to be referred to as African-American because that's part of their identity.

Its only apart of their identity in genetic terms, other than that their no more African than Sun Tzu. They have virtually no cultural ties with any African nation.

Its the same reason we use terms like Asian-American or Mexican-American. These people may not have a direct tie to their ancestral home, but its part of their heritage.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:Its only apart of their identity in genetic terms, other than that their no more African than Sun Tzu. They have virtually no cultural ties with any African nation.

Its the same reason we use terms like Asian-American or Mexican-American. These people may not have a direct tie to their ancestral home, but its part of their heritage.

It's like calling me French

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:26 pm

Well I think it's simply that whites are a majority collectively. Hence you don't need to say, ''European American.'' The default American is white.

There may have been a colored Nazi soldier but when I say Nazi soldier, you immediately imagine a white soldier. The default position, the commonality of the majority, should not need special mention.

Let's be honest here... if someone said to me ''imagine an American right now.'' I'm most definitely imagining a white person...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:27 pm

God Kefka wrote:Well I think it's simply that whites are a majority collectively. Hence you don't need to say, ''European American.'' The default American is white.

There may have been a colored Nazi soldier but when I say Nazi soldier, you immediately imagine a white soldier. The default position, the commonality of the majority, should not need special mention.

Let's be honest here... if someone said to me ''imagine an American right now.'' I'm most definitely imagining a white person...

With a beer belly and screaming "'Murica!"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General