NATION

PASSWORD

The term African-American.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Great Zavi
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

The term African-American.

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans? What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American. So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years? And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

***And why are North Africans considered white?****
Last edited by Great Zavi on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

General Assembly Ambassador of
Azarite Ministry of Foreign Affairs
GZ Info
Request from the Great Zavi people:Please, help REPEAL "Clean Prostitute Act."

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Great Zavi wrote:Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans? What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American. So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years? And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

Who knows. It's not a racist term, we call people Mexican-Americans, European-Americans, etc.

Unless it's often used in a racist context, then I don't see the problem.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:13 pm

I asked my black friend what black people want to be called and he said they want to be called "Gods of Sex".

So now you know. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Great Zavi wrote:Okay people of NationStates, here's a point I would like to bring up for discussion. Recently I've been thinking, why are African-Americans called such a name and not just Americans? What is the need for that prefix? (The people who were unwillingly brought through the slave trade, just to clarify) I read a different thread and it said once you've been in America after 3 generations the prefix of where ever you're from (Mexican-American, Chinese-American, etc) is no longer used and your just American. So why, are African- Americans still called such when they've been here for 400 years? And why are White people not called European-American, or German-American etc? Its just another way to separate them from the rest and makes it easier to outcast them. Do these people, after 400 years of separation and a lack of resources to re-connect to Africa, really have any connection to the continent ( which is in it self very culturally diverse) at all? What's your take on this, NSG?

Such terms are utterly useless and serve nothing more than an "ethnic" identifier, even though they are pigeonholed into narrow categories. For example, isn't a Boer an African American too? What about an Egyptian? So why is the term reserved for only black people in America? Truly frustrating, and you can see how dividing such labels are, further perpetrating the idea and concept of races and hierarchies that are associated with them.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 pm

I see it as an identity thing. They want to be referred to as African-American because that's part of their identity.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 pm

The Scientific States wrote:

Who knows. It's not a racist term, we call people Mexican-Americans, European-Americans, etc.

Unless it's often used in a racist context, then I don't see the problem.

Those terms seem to disappear for those after several years, but its stayed with black people for their entire stay.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:17 pm

As it would turn out, people still feel that where their ancestors came from is part of their identity and that there's nothing wrong with that as well as nothing that contradicts with them being American.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:20 pm

I had a black guy tell me that he wishes the term "colored" was still use because he says it's classy. I have to say, I agree. But obviously, I can't say "colored".

I just call them blacks.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I see it as an identity thing. They want to be referred to as African-American because that's part of their identity.

Its only apart of their identity in genetic terms, other than that their no more African than Sun Tzu. They have virtually no cultural ties with any African nation.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 pm

I just call African-Americans black unless I'm in a formal or official setting; it takes too long otherwise. That's especially true if you refer to blacks from other countries, and what he has duel citizenship? Imagine calling someone an African-British-Italian!

But the reason they are referred to as African-American is the same reason we refer to Mexican-Americans as Mexican-Americans or Asian-Americans as Asian-Americans. It's not racist at all.
Last edited by Siaos on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

Siaos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I see it as an identity thing. They want to be referred to as African-American because that's part of their identity.

Its only apart of their identity in genetic terms, other than that their no more African than Sun Tzu. They have virtually no cultural ties with any African nation.

They do, however, have ancestral ties.
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

New Connorstantinople
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Connorstantinople » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I prefer the term United States-American, or Shaded, thank you very much.
Full Member of the International Space Agency
Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.62
German-American, Male, Heterosexual, Protestant Christian, and Center-Right Libertarian-leaning friendly United States citizen.
In Character, please refer to my nation as the "Lone Star Republic", thank you

This nation somewhat resembles my beliefs

http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/nseconom ... tantinople

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Siaos wrote:I just call African-Americans black unless I'm in a formal or official setting; it takes too long otherwise. That's especially true if you refer to blacks from other countries, and what he has duel citizenship? Imagine calling someone an African-British-Italian!

But the reason they are referred to as African-American is the same reason we refer to Mexican-Americans as Mexican-Americans or Asian-Americans as Asian-Americans. It's not racist at all.

I never said it was racist, It just seems to me as a way to seperate them. As if people can't get past appearance. The argument I'm presenting can be applied to any minority that doesn't look white because there'll be a visual difference that I guess causes the need for distinction.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Excuse me, the term is persons of color not "African-Americans". Get it right.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Siaos wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:Its only apart of their identity in genetic terms, other than that their no more African than Sun Tzu. They have virtually no cultural ties with any African nation.

They do, however, have ancestral ties.

In that case, aren't we all African-american? This tie is 400 years removed.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:30 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:

What about an Egyptian?

Here's a hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-American Why would an Egyptian associate with the African-American community when they have a community of people who have the same language and likely the same religion?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Is an Afrikaner who moves to America and becomes a citizen an African-American?
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:They do, however, have ancestral ties.

If you don't want people to say African-American, stop saying Mexican-American, European-American, and Asian-American.

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote: What about an Egyptian?

Here's a hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-American Why would an Egyptian associate with the African-American community when they have a community of people who have the same language and likely the same religion?

As if the rest of African shares the same language and culture, yet they're all grouped.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote: What about an Egyptian?

But they ARE from Africa.

Sure, there is the word "Egyptian-American." But that doesn't make the label "African-American" any less correct. They are both African-American and Egyptian-American, but only one of them will work. They are discriminated from being associated with the label, "African-American" in that way.

Besides, the black people from Africa living in America today came from a whole bunch of different tribes and cultures. What is the difference?
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Siaos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Great Zavi wrote:
Siaos wrote:They do, however, have ancestral ties.

It's an outdated term, as you have shown. It's the same for the term Asian-American for example. It's still a useful term, though.
Last edited by Siaos on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Likes and Dislikes:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Libertarian California wrote:Is an Afrikaner who moves to America and becomes a citizen an African-American?

He'd be an Afrikaner-American, because we know the specific background. African-American tends to be used when we don't know. If you know what country someone or someone's ancestors are from, use the name of the country or the ethnic group.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

America Libertaria
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby America Libertaria » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 pm

If you are a United States citizen you are an American. Just American. Not African American, not European American, etc. Nothin. annoys me more than that. Calling yourself other than American is just a sign of ethnic pride and failed assimilation. You should be proud of your country not the ethnic origins of your genetic ancestors.

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:In that case, aren't we all African-american? This tie is 400 years removed.

If you don't want people to say African-American, stop saying Mexican-American, European-American, and Asian-American.

My point is that these other terms seem more appropriate at that time because they actually have ties to whatever the prefix may be. The people who were brought in through the Atlantic Slave Trade do not, but are still called so. The people who brought the enslaved Africans aren't called European-American, they're just American.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Libertarian California wrote:Is an Afrikaner who moves to America and becomes a citizen an African-American?

Nope. He's Dutch.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General