NATION

PASSWORD

Facebook allows nonbinary gender identities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Olivaero wrote:Good the more the merrier. Maybe this will make people less incredulous about gender identities other than man/woman if they have regular contact with them on Facebook. Also of course it nets FB major cred.

Maybe they'll understand what the difference between gender and sex is if they see it on Facebook.

I doubt they'll understand... but at least it's a step towards normalizing it.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Bleckonia wrote:
Liriena wrote:I don't think you understand the difference between gender and sex.

Most anti-transgender people don't. Sex is down there.... (points downward) and gender is up here.... (points at his head). Sex simply refers to genitalia. Gender is much more complicated, involving firing neurons and complex chemical reactions.

I'm a genderless butterfly. :hug:
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Bleckonia wrote:
Most anti-transgender people don't. Sex is down there.... (points downward) and gender is up here.... (points at his head). Sex simply refers to genitalia. Gender is much more complicated, involving firing neurons and complex chemical reactions.

Are you trying to imply people identify as other genders than the "standard" binary because they want to be special? It's fucking difficult being different from the norm. And Gender dysphoria is a horrible feeling.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Seaxeland wrote:
Because there are only two genders, no more, no less.

False. There are three sexes, and from them, an infinite number of possible genders.

Hold on to your math there. You can debate how many chromosomes exist but at the end of the day, the number of possible combinations is finite, it may be large, it may be small but it will never be infinite.
Also note chromosomes affect other things as well as sex, XYY for example doesn't constitute a new sex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:The fact that there are supposed adults who care about gender terrifies me.

I feel like I'm living in a society full of oversized children.

The fact that people think that gender is only for children terrifies me.

Gender is only for children. It's a “safe” sexual construct that's supposed to lay the foundations for healthy psychosexual development. It should be shaken off at puberty in favor of a sexual identity (otherwise known as sexual orientation).

Children should develop from the inside out, adults should relate to the world from the outside in.
Last edited by Arkinesia on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:The fact that people think that gender is only for children terrifies me.

Gender is only for children. It's a “safe” sexual construct that's technically supposed to lay the foundations for healthy psychosexual development. It should be shaken off at puberty in favor of a sexual identity (otherwise known as sexual orientation).

Children should develop from the inside out, adults should relate to the world from the outside in.

How is Gender only for kids? I agree with the Sexual Identity at Puberty but to say People LOSE gender when they get old? That's ignorant to say.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:20 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:Gender is only for children. It's a “safe” sexual construct that's technically supposed to lay the foundations for healthy psychosexual development. It should be shaken off at puberty in favor of a sexual identity (otherwise known as sexual orientation).

How is Gender only for kids? I agree with the Sexual Identity at Puberty but to say People LOSE gender when they get old? That's ignorant to say.

No it's not. Gender is an inside —> out concept, which is great for foundations of learning, but inefficient for relating to the world and for more structural learning.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

Are you trying to imply people identify as other genders than the "standard" binary because they want to be special? It's fucking difficult being different from the norm. And Gender dysphoria is a horrible feeling.

No.

But since I've been informed that there are "an infinite number of possible genders", I've decided to embrace my own.

I'm hoping you will accept that and FB will eventually accommodate my needs too.
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:The fact that people think that gender is only for children terrifies me.

Gender is only for children. It's a “safe” sexual construct that's supposed to lay the foundations for healthy psychosexual development. It should be shaken off at puberty in favor of a sexual identity (otherwise known as sexual orientation).

People don't lose their gender identity after puberty. Granted, sexual orientation is more important for most people, but gender identity is still there.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Olivaero wrote:Are you trying to imply people identify as other genders than the "standard" binary because they want to be special? It's fucking difficult being different from the norm. And Gender dysphoria is a horrible feeling.

No.

But since I've been informed that there are "an infinite number of possible genders", I've decided to embrace my own.

I'm hoping you will accept that and FB will eventually accommodate my needs too.

Now you're just ridiculing the concept.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
False. There are three sexes, and from them, an infinite number of possible genders.

Hold on to your math there. You can debate how many chromosomes exist but at the end of the day, the number of possible combinations is finite, it may be large, it may be small but it will never be infinite.
Also note chromosomes affect other things as well as sex, XYY for example doesn't constitute a new sex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

Was probably talking about individuals who are born hermaphrodites.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:How is Gender only for kids? I agree with the Sexual Identity at Puberty but to say People LOSE gender when they get old? That's ignorant to say.

No it's not. Gender is an inside —> out concept, which is great for foundations of learning, but inefficient for relating to the world and for more structural learning.

But it's not just for kids. I've hit Puberty. I Identify by Sex, Sexual Orientation and Gender. I can Identify by gender any agree. Gender is a part of the world.

Arcortus
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcortus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Personally I couldn't really care considering the fact that it won't affect me personally but I like the fact that Facebook actually put the time and thought into trying to understand that some people don't see themselves in the normal two gender identity that we know and have grown up with. So I agree with this move and hope similar movements continue in other places.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Arkinesia wrote:

How far up your ass did you have to reach to pull that out?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Olivaero wrote:Are you trying to imply people identify as other genders than the "standard" binary because they want to be special? It's fucking difficult being different from the norm. And Gender dysphoria is a horrible feeling.

No.

Mocking people for having a different gender identity is just like mocking people for having a different sexual orientation.

It's not funny, it's offensive.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Othelos wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:
No.

Mocking people for having a different gender identity is just like mocking people for having a different sexual orientation.

It's true. However Life's Offensive. Not everyone is nice. Get over it.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Othelos wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:
No.

Your persecution complex aside, I'm actually try to illustrate how preposterous the statement that there is "an infinite number of possible genders" really is.

Not mocking any person or group.

Arcortus
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcortus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Othelos wrote:Mocking people for having a different gender identity is just like mocking people for having a different sexual orientation.

It's true. However Life's Offensive. Not everyone is nice. Get over it.

That might be true but there is something called respect.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Othelos wrote:Mocking people for having a different gender identity is just like mocking people for having a different sexual orientation.

Your persecution complex aside, I'm actually try to illustrate how preposterous the statement that there is "an infinite number of possible genders" really is.

Not mocking any person or group.

I'm not necessarily saying that it is infinite, Chinese Regions disagreed with that statement too. There is a large number to be sure, but it isn't infinite. You'll reach a point where there's too much overlap.
Last edited by Geilinor on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Bleckonia wrote:

:palm:

This "I identify as <insert animal here>" bullshit as an attempt to mock transgender rights has become extremely annoying.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Arcortus wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:It's true. However Life's Offensive. Not everyone is nice. Get over it.

That might be true but there is something called respect.

Sure there is. It's just most people don't know it. I've given up on calling people offensive. It's life. It's not there to make you happy.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:37 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Arcortus wrote:That might be true but there is something called respect.

I've given up on calling people offensive. It's life. It's not there to make you happy.

To function in society, one has to show a certain level of civility and respect or face ridicule.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

:palm:

This "I identify as <insert animal here>" bullshit as an attempt to mock transgender rights has become extremely annoying.

I was serious when I said I wanted to be Classified as a "Pony" on Facebook. It's not being offensive unless you insult them. What that is is harmless fun. A joke.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote::palm:

I was serious when I said I wanted to be Classified as a "Pony" on Facebook. It's not being offensive unless you insult them. What that is is harmless fun. A joke.

You're making fun of the entire concept of gender identity when you do that.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Arcortus wrote:That might be true but there is something called respect.

Sure there is. It's just most people don't know it. I've given up on calling people offensive. It's life. It's not there to make you happy.

I know we're all ITGs here, but having Facebook include other genders or people asking you to call them by their preferred gender really shouldn't bother you in the slightest unless you deliberately misgender someone for the hell of it.
Forever a Communist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General