NATION

PASSWORD

Facebook allows nonbinary gender identities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:
And you think some list you find online is going to cover every single one of Facebook's 1.23 billion or so users? People are diverse. They all use different words. Giving them as much choice as possible is good and requires little to no extra effort. You're making a big deal out of nothing and being deliberately obtuse and pedantic along the way. I think we're done here.

That list I got Online was just as Reliable as this one....Besides they missed my Gender "Blake". goodness, but hey. If you wanna step out of this long endless debate in which no side will end please do so.

They've got pretty much everything not mentioned covered by 'other'.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Dammit. I was under the impression you could create your own gender. Facebook recognizing "space marine" or "Frank Horrigan" or "batman" or "pegasus" as my gender would have been great.

This is pretty good on FB and for Trans* recognition, I guess. I just wish us immature people had the opportunity to abuse this for a few crude laughs. >:(
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

Zonolia
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zonolia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Now don't get me wrong, I am as socially liberal as the next person but wow, didn't even know there was 56 genders...I thought at most there was like 8 or so...hmm either way good for them, expanding their customer base and progressing socially at the same time.
Hell hath no fury like a mod scorned.
Kim Berloni-
President of Zonolia.
Population (Homeland+Colonies-As of 03/14/2014): 19,874,000,000
Current Year: 2014
Territories:
(Jikilo Brothers Incorporated)
S Islands Archipelago
Commonwealths:
Cubanonoa
The Island of Gu
Proud Progressive!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

All Hail Emperor Palpatine, Savior of the Republic and Valiant Destroyer of the Anti-Establishment Jedi Order!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:05 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Kiruri wrote:

Facebook did what was the obviously simple and more fair thing to do. I'm glad :)

Simple? Okay.....then.

How is it complex?

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:05 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Kiruri wrote:

Facebook did what was the obviously simple and more fair thing to do. I'm glad :)

Simple? Okay.....then.

You wouldn't agree?
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Zonolia wrote:Now don't get me wrong, I am as socially liberal as the next person but wow, didn't even know there was 56 genders...I thought at most there was like 8 or so...hmm either way good for them, expanding their customer base and progressing socially at the same time.

If you tear the list down there's only about 20

New Frenco Empire wrote:Dammit. I was under the impression you could create your own gender. Facebook recognizing "space marine" or "Frank Horrigan" or "batman" or "pegasus" as my gender would have been great.

This is pretty good on FB and for Trans* recognition, I guess. I just wish us immature people had the opportunity to abuse this for a few crude laughs. >:(

"What's your gender?"
Me: "I don't know. I'm choosing between Pony or Chuck Norris."

Othelos wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:That list I got Online was just as Reliable as this one....Besides they missed my Gender "Blake". goodness, but hey. If you wanna step out of this long endless debate in which no side will end please do so.

They've got pretty much everything not mentioned covered by 'other'.

Oh Other? But that's not fair to the people like me.... :(

Susria
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Susria » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Look, arguing over identification is rather stupid. Is someone doesn't fit into the category of man or woman and they prefer a third option, now they have it, more power to them. I don't understand how this could be viewed as a bad thing at all...
"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Voltaire

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool."
Plato

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common."
Locke

"To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity."
Nietzsche

"If the triangles made a god, they would give him three sides."
Montesquieu
Moralist. Galtonist. Third Position-ist. Statist.
Bit of a Strasserist, to be honest.
Male. INTJ. East Slavic.
It's cute that you think I will ever care what you think of me.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Othelos wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:Simple? Okay.....then.

How is it complex?

Well giving Non- Transgender Males the option to choose 5 different ways to be Identified (and they all mean the same thing) sets off some Complexity alarms.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Susria wrote:Look, arguing over identification is rather stupid. Is someone doesn't fit into the category of man or woman and they prefer a third option, now they have it, more power to them. I don't understand how this could be viewed as a bad thing at all...

Family values and other useless shit. You know the drill.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Death Metal wrote:
The Glorious Eternal Revolution Land wrote:There are two genders, not 56, at least for humans. Biological fact.

False. There are an infinite potential number of gender identities.
How ethnocentric.

Just because English differentiates between sex and gender doesn't mean every language does.

Mine for example, doesn't.

Stop oppressing me.

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm

New Frenco Empire wrote:
Susria wrote:Look, arguing over identification is rather stupid. Is someone doesn't fit into the category of man or woman and they prefer a third option, now they have it, more power to them. I don't understand how this could be viewed as a bad thing at all...

Way to dismiss someone without considering it.
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Exactly! Everyone has the right to determine their own identification and everyone has the duty to respect the other person's wishes to be identifies as whatever they so desire. I don't understand what the fuss is about. I'm glad FB did this. If this doesn't apply to you, then move on. If this benefits you, then rejoice. :p
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:
Othelos wrote:They've got pretty much everything not mentioned covered by 'other'.

Oh Other? But that's not fair to the people like me.... :(

I'm so sorry you have to deal with the pain of having more options for what to identify as.

The Time Alliance wrote:
Othelos wrote:How is it complex?

Well giving Non- Transgender Males the option to choose 5 different ways to be Identified (and they all mean the same thing) sets off some Complexity alarms.

Yeah, I'm sure people won't be able to handle it.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
How ethnocentric.

Can it be ethnocentric when I, as an American, use Asian philosophy as the basis for asserting that we don't know and probably will never know exactly how many possible gender identities can exist?
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 pm

But what about the good old daaaaaaaaaaaays
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Gallup wrote:
New Frenco Empire wrote:

Way to dismiss someone without considering it.

It shouldn't need any consideration. No one is forcing anyone to use these features.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Yay, I like this. Can't add anything to the topic though.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:

The good old days sucked. Fuck them.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Saint Kitten
Senator

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Awesome. Another step forward :lol:
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Othelos wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:Oh Other? But that's not fair to the people like me.... :(

I'm so sorry you have to deal with the pain of having more options for what to identify as.

But what If I don't indentify as them? Must I be the oppressed other? It's not fair...Now Facebook has to make it fair for me too. Even though I'm not even a small portion of Society. My rights are still there right?
Last edited by The Time Alliance on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Death Metal wrote:
The Glorious Eternal Revolution Land wrote:There are two genders, not 56, at least for humans. Biological fact.

Well, there are a limited number of neurons in the brain, so that's a limiting factor. But it's a large enough number than anyone can have their own.
piss

Susria
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Susria » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:18 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:

You mean the same good old days that believed in other past irrelevant beliefs that we have dismissed for newer ones? Because in the good old days they thought the Earth was flat, everything was created by god, and that the best way of organizing a mass means of agriculture meant planned famines. Seems pretty progressive and modern, right?
"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Voltaire

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool."
Plato

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common."
Locke

"To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity."
Nietzsche

"If the triangles made a god, they would give him three sides."
Montesquieu
Moralist. Galtonist. Third Position-ist. Statist.
Bit of a Strasserist, to be honest.
Male. INTJ. East Slavic.
It's cute that you think I will ever care what you think of me.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Susria wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:

You mean the same good old days that believed in other past irrelevant beliefs that we have dismissed for newer ones? Because in the good old days they thought the Earth was flat, everything was created by god, and that the best way of organizing a mass means of agriculture meant planned famines. Seems pretty progressive and modern, right?

I don't think the aforementioned "good old days" go back that far...
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm

I propose we make one gender: "Gender"
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Gallup wrote:I propose we make one gender: "Gender"

That'd be boring
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General