NATION

PASSWORD

Is Kosovo part of Serbia?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:59 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Baader-Meinhof Gruppe wrote:No. Serbia lost all rights to it's territory after WWI and the genocides it carried out during the Yugoslav wars.

It doesn't work like that...

Serbia has a historical and inseverable linkage to the land of Kosovo... it's not something so easily severable.

And that link was severed when the people living there decided that they didn't want to be part of Serbia anymore.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Baader-Meinhof Gruppe wrote:No. Serbia lost all rights to it's territory after WWI and the genocides it carried out during the Yugoslav wars.

Serbia has a historical and inseverable linkage to the land of Kosovo... it's not something so easily severable.

You do know Kosovo has been majority Albanian for centuries. The Ottomans controlled Kosovo much longer. It's not inseverable.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

And that link was severed when the people living there decided that they didn't want to be part of Serbia anymore.

but isn't that treason?
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:15 pm

God Kefka wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:And that link was severed when the people living there decided that they didn't want to be part of Serbia anymore.

but isn't that treason?

Who cares?
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:17 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
but isn't that treason?

Who cares?

Well you're born Serbian but you choose to do something against your motherland... something that makes Serbia smaller, poorer, in command of less resources, people and hurts its legitimacy and survival. That kind of betrayal is just wrong...
Art thread

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

God Kefka wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Who cares?

Well you're born Serbian but you choose to do something against your motherland... something that makes Serbia smaller, poorer, in command of less resources, people and hurts its legitimacy and survival. That kind of betrayal is just wrong...

Then isn't any secession treason?
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:20 pm

God Kefka wrote:

Why should they care about the country they no longer want to be apart of?
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Then isn't any secession treason?

yeah more or less...
Art thread

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:32 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:Then isn't any secession treason?

yeah more or less...

Why is this one different to, say, the United States seeking independence?
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:38 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
yeah more or less...

Why is this one different to, say, the United States seeking independence?

that shall always be a stain on the American history...

Without betrayal and insurrection the country would never have existed... the birth of a fractured and traumatized national consciousness no doubt...
Last edited by God Kefka on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art thread

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 pm

God Kefka wrote:

Why would they care how Serbia ends up in the end? The people didn't like how they were treated with Serbia and wants to form their own country. They did not choose to be born in Kosovo or Serbia.

As for poorer, well, yes. A a whole Serbia will be poorer but the rest of Serbia has a GDP per capita nearly twice that of Kosovo. In other words, Serbia is wealthier without Serbia. Of course that is part of the reason Kosovo's population largely does not want to remain a part of Serbia, seeing it as being left under developed. On top of that why would Serbia care about having more land area? Particularly one where people obviously does not want to remain as part of the nation. Without Kosovo Serbia is about the size of Panama, Ireland, or Austria, and not much smaller than South Korea, all of which, because of their similar size, has about access to the same amount of resources. Despite their small size they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. As for population, it is about the same as Hong Kong and larger than Singapore, Finland, Norway, and New Zealand. Perhaps if Serbia was so worried about "legitimacy" the government should have done better the past six or seven centuries developing Kosovo, which might have yielded more positive feelings towards the central government.

I am just saying, without Kosovo Serbia could do well in the world as there are many nations already with less than Serbia that are doing better. In fact, not having to carry a rebellious region might be better for the nation.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Prevnina
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prevnina » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Yes, 'nuff said.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:Why is this one different to, say, the United States seeking independence?

that shall always be a stain on the American history...

Without betrayal and insurrection the country would never have existed... the birth of a fractured and traumatized national consciousness no doubt...

But Serbia itself rebelled against the Ottomans and Habsburgs. I am not so quick to believe that treason is a bad thing.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

Milloan
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Milloan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Marsisian wrote:No, Kosovo is independent.

They should make another Yugoslavia.

Do you have any idea what an utterly terrible idea that is?

Only a Slav would understand the need for the South Slavs to unite.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:16 am

NATO/EU: "Kosovo is Sui Generis!"
North Kosovo Serbs: "Does that include all of Kosovo?"
NATO/EU: "Yes!"
North Kosovo Serbs: "So we all can decide on self-determination?"
NATO/EU: "Sure!"
North Kosovo Serbs: "Ok, we secede from Pristina"
NATO/EU: "You cannot do that!"

For every single argument that works for Kosovo's independence, there is an even strong argument for North Kosovo's ability to stay with Serbia. The hypocrisy of denying to the Serbs that, which is granted to Albanians is appalling. Do the Albanians have a special kind of "cutie cooties" that Serbs lack? The willingness of other Slavic Governments to tag along is even more appalling. The reason that Russians represent over 40 percent of all Slavs, is because we're united. We might be divided on Capitalism v Communism and everything in between, but on the core issues, we're united. As for the rest of you, it's your call. You can stand united, or act like hypocrites.

As for NATO/EU, others are watching these double standards. On display. ASEAN is watching. BRIC is watching. SCO is watching. If you keep this up, don't be shocked when you're greeted with wary eyes in other countries.

Seriously guys, what's the difference between Kosovo's secession from Serbia, and North Kosovo's secession from Kosovo? Name one actual difference. Just one. I'll wait.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Parhe
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:29 am

Shofercia wrote:NATO/EU: "Kosovo is Sui Generis!"
North Kosovo Serbs: "Does that include all of Kosovo?"
NATO/EU: "Yes!"
North Kosovo Serbs: "So we all can decide on self-determination?"
NATO/EU: "Sure!"
North Kosovo Serbs: "Ok, we secede from Pristina"
NATO/EU: "You cannot do that!"

For every single argument that works for Kosovo's independence, there is an even strong argument for North Kosovo's ability to stay with Serbia. The hypocrisy of denying to the Serbs that, which is granted to Albanians is appalling. Do the Albanians have a special kind of "cutie cooties" that Serbs lack? The willingness of other Slavic Governments to tag along is even more appalling. The reason that Russians represent over 40 percent of all Slavs, is because we're united. We might be divided on Capitalism v Communism and everything in between, but on the core issues, we're united. As for the rest of you, it's your call. You can stand united, or act like hypocrites.

As for NATO/EU, others are watching these double standards. On display. ASEAN is watching. BRIC is watching. SCO is watching. If you keep this up, don't be shocked when you're greeted with wary eyes in other countries.

Seriously guys, what's the difference between Kosovo's secession from Serbia, and North Kosovo's secession from Kosovo? Name one actual difference. Just one. I'll wait.

That is because everyone no group officially wants to divide Kosovo, even though some individuals from Serbia, the UK, and the US believe partitioning is the only option.

Organizations on both sides of the conflict, Serbia, Kosovo, Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, and the European Union, don't want the partition for whatever reason. I personally believe that if they want and are willing to, Northern Serbia should be allowed to become independent and, if Serbia is okay with the partition, become a part of Serbia, assuming it wants to be.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:30 am

No, it is independent. Likewise, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, Taiwan, Transnistria and the Western Sahara are sovereign.

Note that I do not represent any opinions of those countries, and that my opinion should not be taken as a representation of the opinions of the people living there.

Shofercia wrote:For every single argument that works for Kosovo's independence, there is an even strong argument for North Kosovo's ability to stay with Serbia. The hypocrisy of denying to the Serbs that, which is granted to Albanians is appalling. Do the Albanians have a special kind of "cutie cooties" that Serbs lack? The willingness of other Slavic Governments to tag along is even more appalling. The reason that Russians represent over 40 percent of all Slavs, is because we're united. We might be divided on Capitalism v Communism and everything in between, but on the core issues, we're united. As for the rest of you, it's your call. You can stand united, or act like hypocrites.

I got a solution. Why not we give North Kosovo to Serbia? Or just settle the issue by reunifying all the ex-Yugoslav countries into Yugoslavia and make it an EU member?
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Parhe
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:34 am

Luziyca wrote:No, it is independent. Likewise, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, Taiwan, Transnistria and the Western Sahara are sovereign.

Note that I do not represent any opinions of those countries, and that my opinion should not be taken as a representation of the opinions of the people living there.

Shofercia wrote:For every single argument that works for Kosovo's independence, there is an even strong argument for North Kosovo's ability to stay with Serbia. The hypocrisy of denying to the Serbs that, which is granted to Albanians is appalling. Do the Albanians have a special kind of "cutie cooties" that Serbs lack? The willingness of other Slavic Governments to tag along is even more appalling. The reason that Russians represent over 40 percent of all Slavs, is because we're united. We might be divided on Capitalism v Communism and everything in between, but on the core issues, we're united. As for the rest of you, it's your call. You can stand united, or act like hypocrites.

I got a solution. Why not we give North Kosovo to Serbia? Or just settle the issue by reunifying all the ex-Yugoslav countries into Yugoslavia and make it an EU member?

Just a nit pick Celery. I think you meant the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, which claims all of Western Sahara but only controls about a fourth to a fifth of it.

As for the last question it is because many parties, including Kosovo and Serbia themselves, are against partitioning the region.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 am

Luziyca wrote:No, it is independent. Likewise, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, Taiwan, Transnistria and the Western Sahara are sovereign.

I got a solution. Why not we give North Kosovo to Serbia?

Good question! I have no idea. Ask NATO/EU.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Parhe
Powerbroker

Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 am

Shofercia wrote:

Or Serbia.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 am

Parhe wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Or Serbia.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/1 ... _partition

With the exception of Cedomir Jovanovic’s Liberal Democratic Party, each of the main political parties in Serbia are committed to regaining control of what they refer to as the ‘Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija’. President Nikolic, like his predecessor Boris Tadic, is publicly steadfast on the issue. But, in many ways, their public position is a politically expedient one designed to appeal to the well of nationalist feeling that still exists in Serbia today.

On the ground, there is a growing sense of acceptance amongst Serbs in both Kosovo and Serbia itself, that Kosovo’s declaration of independence is permanent and irreversible – with the exception of the majority Serb areas of Northern Kosovo...The latest intervention of NATO soldiers in Zvecan was part of a broader attempt by the organisation to bring areas of North Kosovo under the control of the Kosovo government in Pristina. It follows a disastrous operation in July last year in which the Kosovo Police sought to forcibly gain control of check-points along the administrative border between Serbia and North Kosovo. In the violent clashes that followed, 1 Albanian and 3 Serbs lost their lives, with 162 Serb and 63 NATO officers suffering injuries.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:35 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:No. I support Kosovo's independence.

Also, it's not like Kosovo is just going to return to Serbia. They're going to stay independent whether you like it or not.

Cool opinion bro.

Likewise, I support the full sovereignty and independence of the Republic of New Afrika, and am hopeful of it attaining statehood within my lifetime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_New_Afrika

Let freedom and justice ring !
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:06 am

Shofercia wrote:

Currently the northern parts of Kosovo, where most of the remaining Serbs have come together, has the bare minimum in regards to all the cultural and heritage sites. The ones which have still not been destroyed, and the smaller enclaves of Serbs, are more towards the south (ie Prizren) and are under constant EULEX protection. To officially abandon these areas would be akin to national treason.

Unfortunately, the current situation is set up in a way that future conflict is simply unavoidable.

The Ottomans occupied, raped and pillaged, Kosovo [Serbia] for nearly 500 years. I give the Albanians another 20 max before some form of global upheaval provides the distraction needed for the re-conquest to begin. The "Kosovo curse", dated from the 1300s, as inscribed in the Gazimestan memorial, makes certain of this.

"Whoever is a Serb and of Serb birth
And of Serb blood and heritage
And comes not to the Battle of Kosovo,
May he never have the progeny his heart desires!
Neither son nor daughter
May nothing grow that his hand sows!
Neither dark wine nor white wheat
And let him be cursed from all ages to all ages!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazimestan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_curse
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:31 am

Yes, Kosovo is a part of Serbia. Sadly, over the last century, Albanians have populated the region and to get rid of them would be akin to genocide or would require a mass-expulsion which would be shocking to the international community. Sadly, however historically relevant is may be to the Serbs, Kosovo, in this day and age, barring North Kosovo, is not a part of Serbia. The ideal solution is one multicultural state, similar to Bosnia, but I think that partitioning Kosovo may be the only solution right now. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into another Indian Partition.

It disgusts me that Albanians have freeloaded on what is rightfully Serbian territory, but what can we expect? The Ottomans did the same to Bosnia by Islamifying a Croatian/Serbian population. Now the Albanians have taken Kosovo. The Serbs may have done some terrible things recently, but for the last few centuries, others have done terrible things to the Serbs.
Last edited by Wolfmanne on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:38 am

The Carlisle wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Not everyone decided so.
I gather you support North Kosovo seceding from Kosovo and joining Serbia, right?
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General