NATION

PASSWORD

Is Kosovo part of Serbia?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Don't make it sound like Serbia's innocent while Kosovo is the bad guy.

Where did I say that Serbia was innocent?

You implied it by listing the misdeeds of Kosovo while omitting the misdeeds of Serbia.

Shofercia wrote:I simply stated facts from my perspective. You're welcome to state facts from yours. Then we can compare. It's how a debate works.
Facts aren't influenced by perspective - only the presentation & perception of facts is subject to perspective.
Last edited by Conscentia on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Where did I say that Serbia was innocent?

You implied it by listing the misdeeds of Kosovo while omitting the misdeeds of Serbia.

Because I thought that in relation to Kosovo, the misdeeds of Serbia pale in comparison, and because others have stated the misdeeds of Serbia, and I didn't feel the need to repeat them.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:31 pm

Neoconstantius wrote:Guys, guys, I know how to fix the Balkans!

We have a LIVE! group dance competition between three teams: Team Byzantine, Team Ottoman, and Team Yugoslav. Whoever wins gets the Balkans. We can call it "Dancing With the Kosovars".

You heard it here first on NS, folks. See ya'll in Stockholm when I accept my Nobel Prize.

I'm on board as long as it's ballet :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

The Pan Slavian Union wrote:
Parhe wrote:Serbia can accept it or continue claiming land it does not control which won't do anything but make Serbia look like a whinny child nation and reinforce already highly negative perceptions of Serbia in the world.

Once again, we have the typical westerner who takes advantage of Serbia's misfortune and crappy position in this affair due to the demographic apocalypse sponsored in part by his very nation, whatever it may be. It's not our fault we don't control it. If it were left to us, and the bloody American hands and silent yet all-mighty media misleading tendencies stayed out of our affairs, one could walk into any major town in Kosovo and seldom acquaint himself with the opportunity to find an Albanian. Now, what we see is an inversion of this, as the reality is the very opposite.

Typical western with strong emotions against America and Europe- though none directed to the people. But moving on we should see. What exactly do you mean an invasion of? An invasion of Albanians as in that is somehow a negative thing? There is nothing bad about finding an Albanian, or anyone of any ethnicity, in a city. As if the Albanians were not there to begin with? Albanians made up the great majority of Kosovo since even before Yugoslavia fell apart, as others have demonstrated on this thread. If you have any proof to the opposite then please share the proof.

It does not matter why Serbia does not control Kosovo. In fact Kosovo declared independence on its own during the disintegration of Yugoslavia; as hard pressed as it might be for you to understand there were no western undercover all knowing agents rallying the people and using magical tunnels to import millions of Albanians in a deep plot to overthrow Serbia. If talking about history, well, Serbia did many times get involved in the histories of its neighbors, such as just about every other Slavic group and nation it borders.

Our claims to Kosovo don't make us whiny, and people who do consider us as such for the said reason merely make us sit back and like the rest of the world, become inheretly dissatisfied with the stark level of incompetence and dullness showcased in the views towards Serbia held by people just like you. Don't even get me started on the "child" remark either. If you want to speak of ages, the entity of Serbia is 1246 years old (and the Serbian tribe which dates back nearly 2 millenia).

No idea why age is such an obsession for you but fine, we should play that game. Entity of Serbia is 1246 years old? Well, the entity of Korea is over three thousand years old, more to some nationalist, and the "Korean tribe" dates back to over four thousand years. Yeah, your remark about your nation's "entity" age doesn't really impact anything. It is funny how you complain about other people being incompetence about Serbia as a nation while you yourself make false assumptions of me as a person- one you have never met. And what do you mean "like the rest of the world?" I don't mean to brag by this but I have rarely met a person off the internet that knows more about Balkan history than I do, whether they be from Eastern Asia, North America, or Western Europe. Serbia isn't some a wildly important country in the world that everyone knows the history of Serbia.

As for the "highly negative perceptions of Serbia in the world", that phrase itself is broken. The world doesn't hate Serbia. It's people like you that hate Serbia and discriminate against it in innumerable aspects, and in all honesty, I know that if you could make it so, the entire world would hate Serbia.

I never said I hate Serbia. You again am making wild assumptions about people. I dislike the Serbian government, same as I hate the American government, but I have nothing against the people or its culture. Maybe it is just the places I listed about, but the regions of the world I have been or met numerous people from either know very little to nothing about Serbia or hold at least some of it in a negative view. In fact the most negative views of Serbia I have heard were from people that are from the Balkans, specifically Bosnians, though also a handful of Albanians among other individuals.

So go on, argue with my response, and state some more anti-Serb cliches. No one's stopping you. And before drop the Albanian bomb, know that I have nothing against the Albanians. Their culture and traditions were beautiful, and inspired us and their neighbouring nations.

And you should know I have nothing against Serbs, their culture, or traditions. I just have a strong dislike of the government.

So go on, continue making false assumptions about me because I think people should be allowed to decide on which government they should live under. I may add that is in part the reason why I do have a dislike for the American government and Serbian government.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

The Democratic States of Khazakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic States of Khazakia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:22 pm

Parhe wrote:
The Pan Slavian Union wrote:
Once again, we have the typical westerner who takes advantage of Serbia's misfortune and crappy position in this affair due to the demographic apocalypse sponsored in part by his very nation, whatever it may be. It's not our fault we don't control it. If it were left to us, and the bloody American hands and silent yet all-mighty media misleading tendencies stayed out of our affairs, one could walk into any major town in Kosovo and seldom acquaint himself with the opportunity to find an Albanian. Now, what we see is an inversion of this, as the reality is the very opposite.

Typical western with strong emotions against America and Europe- though none directed to the people. But moving on we should see. What exactly do you mean an invasion of? An invasion of Albanians as in that is somehow a negative thing? There is nothing bad about finding an Albanian, or anyone of any ethnicity, in a city. As if the Albanians were not there to begin with? Albanians made up the great majority of Kosovo since even before Yugoslavia fell apart, as others have demonstrated on this thread. If you have any proof to the opposite then please share the proof.

It does not matter why Serbia does not control Kosovo. In fact Kosovo declared independence on its own during the disintegration of Yugoslavia; as hard pressed as it might be for you to understand there were no western undercover all knowing agents rallying the people and using magical tunnels to import millions of Albanians in a deep plot to overthrow Serbia. If talking about history, well, Serbia did many times get involved in the histories of its neighbors, such as just about every other Slavic group and nation it borders.

Our claims to Kosovo don't make us whiny, and people who do consider us as such for the said reason merely make us sit back and like the rest of the world, become inheretly dissatisfied with the stark level of incompetence and dullness showcased in the views towards Serbia held by people just like you. Don't even get me started on the "child" remark either. If you want to speak of ages, the entity of Serbia is 1246 years old (and the Serbian tribe which dates back nearly 2 millenia).

No idea why age is such an obsession for you but fine, we should play that game. Entity of Serbia is 1246 years old? Well, the entity of Korea is over three thousand years old, more to some nationalist, and the "Korean tribe" dates back to over four thousand years. Yeah, your remark about your nation's "entity" age doesn't really impact anything. It is funny how you complain about other people being incompetence about Serbia as a nation while you yourself make false assumptions of me as a person- one you have never met. And what do you mean "like the rest of the world?" I don't mean to brag by this but I have rarely met a person off the internet that knows more about Balkan history than I do, whether they be from Eastern Asia, North America, or Western Europe. Serbia isn't some a wildly important country in the world that everyone knows the history of Serbia.

As for the "highly negative perceptions of Serbia in the world", that phrase itself is broken. The world doesn't hate Serbia. It's people like you that hate Serbia and discriminate against it in innumerable aspects, and in all honesty, I know that if you could make it so, the entire world would hate Serbia.

I never said I hate Serbia. You again am making wild assumptions about people. I dislike the Serbian government, same as I hate the American government, but I have nothing against the people or its culture. Maybe it is just the places I listed about, but the regions of the world I have been or met numerous people from either know very little to nothing about Serbia or hold at least some of it in a negative view. In fact the most negative views of Serbia I have heard were from people that are from the Balkans, specifically Bosnians, though also a handful of Albanians among other individuals.

So go on, argue with my response, and state some more anti-Serb cliches. No one's stopping you. And before drop the Albanian bomb, know that I have nothing against the Albanians. Their culture and traditions were beautiful, and inspired us and their neighbouring nations.

And you should know I have nothing against Serbs, their culture, or traditions. I just have a strong dislike of the government.

So go on, continue making false assumptions about me because I think people should be allowed to decide on which government they should live under. I may add that is in part the reason why I do have a dislike for the American government and Serbian government.

:clap:
Anyway...I know what country Britain's gonna raid again. ;)
New nation: Tokau.
My top 5 favorite U2 songs:
5. Zooropa
4. Surrender
3. Moment of Surrender
2. Mysterious Ways
1. Pride (In The Name of Love)

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 pm

The Democratic States of Khazakia wrote:I don't know if there's already a thread for this, or if it was locked by a mod. If so, :palm:.
I just want to hear everyone's opinion on this, and/or the other un-internationally recognized nations. It's not my intention to start some cyber-war or anything.
First of all, I fully support Kosovo, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic/Western Sahara, and Transnistria. What about you guys?

Kosovo is part of Russia.
*nods*
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm

When the Tongan's recognize Minerva, than maybe I'll recognize Kosovo!
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:38 pm

The powers that be, including Croatia and their old chums in Germany, can pull their military political ploys all they want, but they can never change the the deeply revered place Kosovo will always hold in the hearts and minds of Serbs everywhere.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Jukraina
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jukraina » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 am

Kosovo is not part of Serbia
Kosovo is part of Europe
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another."

Faith Hope Charity
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Faith Hope Charity » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:16 am

Kosovo is populated by ethnic Albanians, it should either be an independent state, or part of Albania.
Je Suis Geller
Economic Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian: -6.77

People who denounce the free market and voluntary exchange, and are for control and coercion, believe they have more intelligence and superior wisdom to the masses. What's more, they believe they've been ordained to forcibly impose that wisdom on the rest of us. Of course, they have what they consider good reasons for doing so, but every tyrant that has ever existed has had what he believed were good reasons for restricting the liberty of others.
-Walter E. Williams

http://www.isidewith.com/results/426705837

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

I don't care, to be honest. But for one I am deeply convinced it should not exist at all. It's a safe haven for the Albanian mafia and all kinds of filth, and there are no prospects of it changing in the next 50 years. Disband it, depopulate it and move the population to whatever country supports its independence. Turn the territory into a biosphere reserve.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Port-du-sud
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Port-du-sud » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:22 am

The Kosovo is a part of Serbia according to international law. Resolution 1244

http://www.securitycouncilreport.org/at ... 201244.pdf

"Reaffirming the commitment of all Member States to the sovereignty and
territorial integrity of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and the other States
of the region, as set out in the Helsinki Final Act and annex 2,"

8. A political process towards the establishment of an interim political
framework agreement providing for substantial self-government for Kosovo, taking
full account of the Rambouillet accords and the principles of sovereignty and
territorial integrity of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and the other
/...S/RES/1244 (1999)
Page 7
countries of the region

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:52 am

Conscentia wrote:Kosovo is independent now whether one wants it or not. This be a fact. People should just get used to it.

Aye.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:58 am

Faith Hope Charity wrote:Kosovo is populated by ethnic Albanians, it should either be an independent state, or part of Albania.

While I agree that Kosovo should be independent, I think you might be stressing the wrong reasons(not trying to say my ideas are better than yours). Instead of stressing ethnicity it'd make more sense to stress the right of people to govern themselves.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 am

Port-du-sud wrote:The Kosovo is a part of Serbia according to international law. Resolution 1244

http://www.securitycouncilreport.org/at ... 201244.pdf

"Reaffirming the commitment of all Member States to the sovereignty and
territorial integrity of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and the other States
of the region, as set out in the Helsinki Final Act and annex 2,"

8. A political process towards the establishment of an interim political
framework agreement providing for substantial self-government for Kosovo, taking
full account of the Rambouillet accords and the principles of sovereignty and
territorial integrity of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and the other
/...S/RES/1244 (1999)
Page 7
countries of the region

There is no such thing anymore as the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Ereria
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ereria » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:17 am

Remove serbs

*Removes a tear from eye* My glorious nation will take back balkans
Last edited by Ereria on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vatan savunmasında gereğinden fazla merhamet vatana ihanettir."
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Kılıç kınından çıkmadıkça it sürüsü dağılmaz.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:25 am

Ereria wrote:Remove serbs

(Image)

(Image)

A) Irrelevant to the topic at hand.
B) Good luck with that. I'm sure the rest of the world wouldn't do a damn thing.

Now as to the topic at hand, no it isn't de facto. De jure it ought not to as well.

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 am

(Image)

(Image)

Hm. We really shouldn't have given up our nukes.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Korencia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:31 am

Kosovo is Serbia, because if we start giving Albanians their claims they might attempt something stupid here in the South :lol:
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:33 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Marsisian wrote:No, Kosovo is independent.

They should make another Yugoslavia.

Do you have any idea what an utterly terrible idea that is?

If you want to know, talk to an Albanian.
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Korencia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Korencia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:33 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Do you have any idea what an utterly terrible idea that is?

If you want to know, talk to an Albanian.

Nobody understands the goatmens language :p
Realm of Korencia

Chaotic Evil

Alexzanabbgggggg
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexzanabbgggggg » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 am

Kosovo is indipedant it has it own government and military
The crimes of America: http://johnpilger.com/videos/the-war-on-democracy
For/Against
For: Communism, Socialism, Republics, EU, Green Party, Palestine, LGBT rights, Cuba
Against: Capitalism, Israel, USA, UKIP, the Queen, Nationalism, Fascism, Homophobia, Islmaophobia, Racism

Ereria
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ereria » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:52 am

Napkiraly wrote:

(Image)

(Image)

A) Irrelevant to the topic at hand.
B) Good luck with that. I'm sure the rest of the world wouldn't do a damn thing.

Now as to the topic at hand, no it isn't de facto. De jure it ought not to as well.

Of course the rest of the world wouldn't do anything, who cares about Serbs :rofl:
"Vatan savunmasında gereğinden fazla merhamet vatana ihanettir."
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Kılıç kınından çıkmadıkça it sürüsü dağılmaz.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 am

DrakoLand wrote:De jure, yes
De facto, no

This.
Both UN resolution 1244 and the situation on the land are quite clear.

One doesn't understand, though, how can the Albanian-speaking Kosovars claim they have a right to independence while Serbian-speaking Kosovars don't. Bit racist, isn't it?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 am

Ereria wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:A) Irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Of course the rest of the world wouldn't do anything, who cares about Serbs :rofl:

People who don't like ethnic cleansing. Also you talked about taking over the Balkans itself. More than just Serbs live in the Balkans and Turkey has zero valid reasons to occupy the region.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General