NATION

PASSWORD

What made you become Christian or religious in general?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 am

Vulpae wrote:
Lenciland wrote:
Yes religion was an opiate to a society to them, not necessarily their's but that of their gods.

Second:Incest was okay with the Romans because to them sex meant nothing.
Source:http://www.roman-empire.net/society/soc-household.html

Third: On the contrary, their hard views on the after life made most Romans do good things, but as human nature tells us we focus on the bad person instead of the good person so it is mostly bad and occasionally good.
Source:http://death.wikia.com/wiki/Death_in_Ancient_Rome

Fourth:Ahh, yes, the Church was always very equal and that is why it is in the Bible that women cannot have public church roles. To say they adopted their sexism from the Romans is a completely wrong idea. Rome had some of the most progressive women's rights laws that the world would see for almost two thousand years. They went to school, owned land, wrote their own wills, could marry whom they pleased, could divorce when they wanted, had laws protecting them from spousal abuse, played many of the game's that Roman boys played, and got to exert overt political power.
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Ancient_Rome

I'm refuting wiki pages, from various wikis now... Link me to a university dissertation and archeological study.
It's important to differentiate between the early republic, late republic, early empire, mid empire, and dying empire, periods in roman history and culture.
Please do some actual research, and you'll realize that some of what you are spouting at me are preconceived notions and stereotypes. Some of which were first spread as propaganda by the Anglican/Dutch churches about Catholics during the age of sail, largely to counter the power of catholic missionaries in the New World and Far East.

2:Among common romans but the Greeks had a dim view of it at the time (were totally cool with homosexuality though). But the idea of a cult where all the marriages are "Brothers" & "Sisters" now that raised some eyebrows.

3: Right, the heroic romans go to Elysium, the damnati (slaves, criminals, and so forth) go to Tartarus. But everyone else gets a grey endless afterlife. The primary concern is keeping the bastards in the grey depressing afterlife, and not here menacing the living.
Christanity offered those damnati a much better afterlife, especially those who had been born into slavery for generations.

4: Roman society was progressive to their own citizens (again it's Rome, so anyone who's not Roman gets the raw end of politics.) during the republican era. But after the reforms of Augustus, it became more and more sexist, and more abusive to the slave caste, not that they were that kind initially. but it got worse as the imperial system calcified and the empire rotted from within. Your data is flawed and sees things from one perspective, and assumes Rome was the same Rome all the way through.
It is no coincidence that Peter was crucified for preaching what amounted to women's liberation. Almost all the slave girls in the city refused to sell their bodies as a result of his preaching, in roman socity by telling the whores they don't have to put out. He was committing treason.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_rol ... ristianity
note the difference between egalitarian, and patriarchy thought sets. You are doing the religious equivalent of claiming all Americans are Republicans because you hate republicans.

Stop thinking in propaganda & stereotypes man.

You have the nerve to get up here and preach to me about a book of proselytism and then tell me to quit thinking in propaganda!! To get up here and tell me that you reject Wikipedia as a reliable source and then use it!! You tell me my data is flawed when your's isn't even sourced and when it is it is from a site that I can't use as a source because you said that it isn't reliable. Find me a university dissertation or archaeological study to back your claims, hell, even use Wikipedia I don't care just source your claims before you lord over me and read the Odyssey. I have and you just made crap up. Practice what you teach, that is in the bible isn't it? Or faith without works is dead, I believe Paul wrote that. Wasn't it Jesus who said that god hated hypocrites and false teachers more than heathens? Treat me that way and I will treat you that way. That is the golden rule isn't it?
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Vulpae
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulpae » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 am

Lenciland wrote:You have the nerve to get up here and preach to me about a book of proselytism and then tell me to quit thinking in propaganda!! To get up here and tell me that you reject Wikipedia as a reliable source and then use it!! You tell me my data is flawed when your's isn't even sourced and when it is it is from a site that I can't use as a source because you said that it isn't reliable. Find me a university dissertation or archaeological study to back your claims, hell, even use Wikipedia I don't care just source your claims before you lord over me and read the Odyssey. I have and you just made crap up. Practice what you teach, that is in the bible isn't it? Or faith without works is dead, I believe Paul wrote that. Wasn't it Jesus who said that god hated hypocrites and false teachers more than heathens? Treat me that way and I will treat you that way. That is the golden rule isn't it?

I sourced the site because you used wikis, and I figured you think in wikis.

I'm no hypocrite, but never claimed to be a teacher. I'm just a man, and I've got flaws.
But you came in bashing what I believe, stereotyping, and proclaiming from the mountaintops that religion is some "opate of da masses" and thus has no redeeming value in the course of history. You have no platform to try and half-heartedly quote biblical references and nothing besides stereotypes to prop up your arguements.

I might have gotten off track a bit, but I practice what I preach, I've lived a life of tolerance and understanding with my fellow man. But it's not easy, and you lording some form of intellectual superiority over me on account of my faith makes it that much harder.

I'm a progressive, a moderate, and lover of science and history, I also hold my faith very dear and will defend it. What is your excuse for hating me and my faith, and wishing me ill?

Vulpae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulpae » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:48 pm

:palm: :palm: :palm:

what am I doing getting so worked up over opinions on a tiny forum in a dusty corner of the internet, especially when it has no impact on reality.

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Vulpae wrote::palm: :palm: :palm:

what am I doing getting so worked up over opinions on a tiny forum in a dusty corner of the internet, especially when it has no impact on reality.

You're defending what you believe isn't that an impact on someone's reality somewhere?
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Vulpae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulpae » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 am

Lenciland wrote:
Vulpae wrote::palm: :palm: :palm:

You're defending what you believe isn't that an impact on someone's reality somewhere?

I suppose, I'm just surprised I got so worked up over it.

Previous

Return to General