NATION

PASSWORD

What made you become Christian or religious in general?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Lebanon Christian Republic wrote:
Utceforp wrote:Jack Chick converted you? I'm surprised, if only because, well, Jack Chick.

I read the tract and I learned about Jesus Christ and that we are saved by Faith alone.

According to Scripture, that's not true, and is, according to the older branches of Christianity, a piece of Protestant heresy.

Neu Preussische Republik
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Preussische Republik » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm

I suppose to go along with the general theme here, I am no longer a Christian, and am fully irreligious, so I shall explain myself.

I was born into a fundamentalist Baptist family, and I've grown up going to strictly Baptist churches, the kind that preaches King-James-Only "Full bible and nothing but the bible" nonsense, so as to prove themselves hypocrites when they conveniently ignore the story of Elisha and the children making fun of his baldness, and many others like it.

So I was indoctrinated from a very young age, and I grew up a Creationist Fundamentalist Conservative; I fully supported whatever Republican candidate was on the platform, even though I knew nothing about Politics; I fully supported the outlawing of homosexuality, recreational substances, the war in Iraq, etc; I also wholeheartedly believed that Evolution was nothing more than propaganda made by Satan himself to lead the masses to lies and make them all have sex with goats and horses, and drink all night before doing drugs and becoming gay people.

So I went on like this for quite a few years, until I turned 13, and regretfully, I became an "atheist", solely for the purpose of "rebelling" and acting "cool" on the internet. This of course did not last long, as I "rediscovered my faith" sometime when I was 15, and I went on being one of the most devout Christians I would know, in many cases being even more devout in my faith than everyone else around me, to the point of genuinely fearing for their salvation.

Anyway, only just recently had I stumbled across videos on Youtube from things like the Atheist Experience, which I took an odd intrigue in, and from there it just played domino effect on my entire world view and belief structure; From there, I ended up visiting many websites dedicated to evidence to support Evolution, simply so I could understand more about it, and I very quickly concluded that I had absolutely no idea what Evolution was, or how it worked... And I concluded that these pastors and youth ministers whom I had put my trust in all my life had no idea what it was either, because everything I knew about Evolution I had learned from them.

After I had a firm grounding in the understanding of things like Abiogenesis, Natural Selection, Sexual Selection, Mutation Selection and so on, I really begun my journey through disproving the Bible, learning many, many stories in the Bible which I had never heard before in my life, learning how many of the "prophecies" in the old testament were never prophecies, or were completely unfulfilled, even many of the prophecies for the Messiah.

Anyway, to summarize, I've always thought myself a fairly intelligent person, in fact I've often thought myself quite intelligent, and I've always had a fairly critical thought process about most things, remaining skeptical and asking for proof in most deals, but I never bothered to question my faith until this point very recently. And once I did, I can say the results were less than satisfactory, as I found there to not only be a lack of factual, evidential proof backing the bible, but I found there to be more evidence opposing it.
I am a registered Independent, an enthusiast of Political and Economic history and an American Citizen.
[5]
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.46
Map | Current flag

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Lenciland wrote: :rofl: :rofl: I want in, too!

The Miso faith is a welcoming faith, unless you're one of those Chougou miso people, then you can die heretic!

Yay what are the rights of passage Great Elder Miso!!? :bow: :bow:
I have found our holy book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miso
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
No one expects the NS inquisition.

Especially not to be run by a Jew.

And the other a Luciferian.

Jiyumin
Civilian

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jiyumin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 pm

I come from a fairly secular household, so I'm was never a die hard believer in religion. Though I still am Jewish.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Lenciland wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
The Miso faith is a welcoming faith, unless you're one of those Chougou miso people, then you can die heretic!

Yay what are the rights of passage Great Elder Miso!!? :bow: :bow:

I haven't tied down all the details yet, suffice to say giving me money is going to be a major part of it.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Lebanon Christian Republic wrote:

I read the tract and I learned about Jesus Christ and that we are saved by Faith alone.

Scripture says otherwise.

I posted my story a few pages ago.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Jiyumin wrote:I come from a fairly secular household, so I'm was never a die hard believer in religion. Though I still am Jewish.

Reform, I presume?

Lenciland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Lenciland wrote:Yay what are the rights of passage Great Elder Miso!!? :bow: :bow:

I haven't tied down all the details yet, suffice to say giving me money is going to be a major part of it.

Yes all my millions to the great Miso Elder Bombadil. Should we give you a special title like the Great Miso and maybe we should start a region for this.
Quotes:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Cthulu be praised!!

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Neu Preussische Republik wrote:[...]

After I had a firm grounding in the understanding of things like Abiogenesis, Natural Selection, Sexual Selection, Mutation Selection and so on, I really begun my journey through disproving the Bible, learning many, many stories in the Bible which I had never heard before in my life, learning how many of the "prophecies" in the old testament were never prophecies, or were completely unfulfilled, even many of the prophecies for the Messiah.
[...]

Aye, although that shouldn't make you not Christian... while the idea of 'dual-prophecy' wouldn't be enough to convince your average person as it's not in the Bible... it's still a pretty good thing to fall back on?
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Neu Preussische Republik wrote:I suppose to go along with the general theme here, I am no longer a Christian, and am fully irreligious, so I shall explain myself.

I was born into a fundamentalist Baptist family, and I've grown up going to strictly Baptist churches, the kind that preaches King-James-Only "Full bible and nothing but the bible" nonsense, so as to prove themselves hypocrites when they conveniently ignore the story of Elisha and the children making fun of his baldness, and many others like it.

So I was indoctrinated from a very young age, and I grew up a Creationist Fundamentalist Conservative; I fully supported whatever Republican candidate was on the platform, even though I knew nothing about Politics; I fully supported the outlawing of homosexuality, recreational substances, the war in Iraq, etc; I also wholeheartedly believed that Evolution was nothing more than propaganda made by Satan himself to lead the masses to lies and make them all have sex with goats and horses, and drink all night before doing drugs and becoming gay people.

So I went on like this for quite a few years, until I turned 13, and regretfully, I became an "atheist", solely for the purpose of "rebelling" and acting "cool" on the internet. This of course did not last long, as I "rediscovered my faith" sometime when I was 15, and I went on being one of the most devout Christians I would know, in many cases being even more devout in my faith than everyone else around me, to the point of genuinely fearing for their salvation.

Anyway, only just recently had I stumbled across videos on Youtube from things like the Atheist Experience, which I took an odd intrigue in, and from there it just played domino effect on my entire world view and belief structure; From there, I ended up visiting many websites dedicated to evidence to support Evolution, simply so I could understand more about it, and I very quickly concluded that I had absolutely no idea what Evolution was, or how it worked... And I concluded that these pastors and youth ministers whom I had put my trust in all my life had no idea what it was either, because everything I knew about Evolution I had learned from them.

Anyway, to summarize, I've always thought myself a fairly intelligent person, in fact I've often thought myself quite intelligent, and I've always had a fairly critical thought process about most things, remaining skeptical and asking for proof in most deals, but I never bothered to question my faith until this point very recently. And once I did, I can say the results were less than satisfactory, as I found there to not only be a lack of factual, evidential proof backing the bible, but I found there to be more evidence opposing it.

Y'know, just to point this out, your whole 'process' seems quite similar to mine, save for the third paragraph.

Never really hated gay people, as much as my parents tried to instill in me to do so.
Forever a Communist

Lenciland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Neu Preussische Republik wrote:I suppose to go along with the general theme here, I am no longer a Christian, and am fully irreligious, so I shall explain myself.

Y'know, just to point this out, your whole 'process' seems quite similar to mine, save for the third paragraph.

Never really hated gay people, as much as my parents tried to instill in me to do so.

Hey I feel the same as you about gay people. Except I believe that in this day and age gay is the way.
Quotes:

Cthulu be praised!!

Neu Preussische Republik
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Preussische Republik » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Neu Preussische Republik wrote:snip

Believe it or not, it was because I became Libertarian and eventually Minarchist that I am the way I am now.

I begun realizing how horribly authoritarian the Bible was, but I tried to reconcile my faith and my political and economic views.
I am a registered Independent, an enthusiast of Political and Economic history and an American Citizen.
[5]
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.46
Map | Current flag

Kistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012

Postby Kistan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm

I was raised Catholic, and just finished going through a two-year period of skepticism. In the end, I decided that while popular religion's claims may not be entirely true, there's no reason to doubt that there could by beings that exist on a higher scale of awareness/existence/power than us.

EDIT: That doesn't mean a god or gods, just beings that are 'divine' or 'semi-divine' from our point of view.
Last edited by Kistan on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humor:
"It's the Vrell Fuel and Oils Corporation, not Kistani Oils. Kistani Oils makes lotions and petrolium jellies."
Disclaimer: Kistan is for fun, and you should not expect the IRL me to do the things Kistan may do.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Lenciland wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Yes all my millions to the great Miso Elder Bombadil. Should we give you a special title like the Great Miso and maybe we should start a region for this.

I'm in as long as I get to be the Missiah.
Last edited by Utceforp on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Blasveck wrote:
Neu Preussische Republik wrote:-snip-

I kind of was, but never to an extreme, so thankfully that faded fast.
Hated and was afraid of transpeople though. A tad ironic, no?

What's also interesting is to hear the common experiences of those who grew up in Christian, mostly conservative, households who are now atheists of some sort.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Lenciland wrote:Yes all my millions to the great Miso Elder Bombadil. Should we give you a special title like the Great Miso and maybe we should start a region for this.

I'm in as long as I get to be the Misoyah.

Fixed.

Lenciland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Lenciland wrote:Yes all my millions to the great Miso Elder Bombadil. Should we give you a special title like the Great Miso and maybe we should start a region for this.

I'm in as long as I get to be the Missiah.

No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Great One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.
Last edited by Lenciland on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes:

Cthulu be praised!!

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

What's also interesting is to hear the common experiences of those who grew up in Christian, mostly conservative, households who are now atheists of some sort.

Like the 60's kids who became Reaganites?
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

For me the reason I see that happen over and over again is that in fundamentalist Christian groups, people are not allowed to question. The problem is, it is pretty much human nature to question things, which kinda breaks the whole system.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Utceforp wrote:I'm in as long as I get to be the Misoyah.

Fixed.

I was trying to work in a "Miso" pun by replacing the E in Messiah with an I, but your idea is better.
Signatures are so 2014.

Kistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012

Postby Kistan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 pm

From the Lord of the Rings books?
Humor:
"It's the Vrell Fuel and Oils Corporation, not Kistani Oils. Kistani Oils makes lotions and petrolium jellies."
Disclaimer: Kistan is for fun, and you should not expect the IRL me to do the things Kistan may do.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Vareiln wrote:I kind of was, but never to an extreme, so thankfully that faded fast.

For me the reason I see that happen over and over again is that in fundamentalist Christian groups, people are not allowed to question. The problem is, it is pretty much human nature to question things, which kinda breaks the whole system.

Nothing like us eh?

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Vareiln wrote:I kind of was, but never to an extreme, so thankfully that faded fast.

Like the 60's kids who became Reaganites?

I'm not fully familiar with their experiences, admittedly.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Lenciland wrote:
Utceforp wrote:I'm in as long as I get to be the Missiah.

No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General