NATION

PASSWORD

Philippines Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Pantalleria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:
Connori Pilgrims wrote:Speaking of anecdotes of Chinese people:

A very good friend of mine studied in Peking University (one of their premier universities, and one of the best in Asia now apparently) graduated just last year, he says even the "very best and brightest" there, while technically quite competent, are very poor as far as critical thinking and opinionmaking is concerned. They need to do what they're told, and apparently they mostly buy whatever Xinhua/Global Times/other State Media tell them.

Another friend of mine visited Beijing just this January, and he says the same thing. Many of the locals he talked to just simply take the Party/State's word for it regarding most things, and don't bother to question it.

Maybe that's what the Party wanted from the very start, a populace that's taught not to question authority.
The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:Why do you think our population is expected to increase by 100 million in the next 20 years? :eyebrow:

Birth controls and knowledge about it is unavailable to general populace, doesn't mean Catholics are extreme. If anything, some Protestant sects are.

The Catholic Church has time and time again prevented the passage of the RH bill and continues to delay the inevitable.
The Pantallerian Economy and Other Details

The Pantallerian Bureau of Tourism: Treading on maggots since we got our magnificent go go boots.

Emilio Aguinaldo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emilio Aguinaldo » Fri May 23, 2014 4:50 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:
Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Again, have you heard of the Bible Belt? Have you seen what Russia has been doing to LGBT people (which might have been influenced by the Orthodox Church). The very fact that despite Philippine's high level of religiosity and influence of the Church, that we are ranked Asia's friendliest nation to gay people, disproves your argument.

So the fact that we're not friendly towards contraception despite a clear need and want for it is not a good argument to consider? :eyebrow:

Is your country cracking down gay people? (In africa it is illegal)
answer = The Republic of Pantalleria.post
answer2 = Emilio Aguinaldo.post
If
answer = yes
Then
answer2 = Yes, not a good argument.
End If
Last edited by Emilio Aguinaldo on Fri May 23, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:Grab your gun, point it at bad guy, pull trigger.

Nationalist Eminral Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:The Catholic Church has time and time again prevented the passage of the RH bill and continues to delay the inevitable.

Last time I checked the news, the Vatican didn't breathe a word about RH Bill, or about Philippine Politics. CBCP =/= Catholic Church. And the last time I checked, many Catholics are not happy with the CBCP either, including me.
Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Again, have you heard of the Bible Belt? Have you seen what Russia has been doing to LGBT people (which might have been influenced by the Orthodox Church). The very fact that despite Philippine's high level of religiosity and influence of the Church, that we are ranked Asia's friendliest nation to gay people, disproves your argument.

So the fact that we're not friendly towards contraception despite a clear need and want for it is not a good argument to consider? :eyebrow:

Sure, we may not be friendly to contraception. But that alone doesn't make Catholics extremist.

Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:Is your country cracking down gay people? (In africa it is illegal)
If
answer = yes
Then
End If

Funny. We're discussing If statements on our Computer Science class :P
[align=center]
Federation of Eminral RepublicPederasyon ng Republika ng Eminral
エミンラル共和連邦 Federación de la República Eminral

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:The Catholic Church has time and time again prevented the passage of the RH bill and continues to delay the inevitable.

Last time I checked the news, the Vatican didn't breathe a word about RH Bill, or about Philippine Politics. CBCP =/= Catholic Church. And the last time I checked, many Catholics are not happy with the CBCP either, including me.
The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:So the fact that we're not friendly towards contraception despite a clear need and want for it is not a good argument to consider? :eyebrow:

Sure, we may not be friendly to contraception. But that alone doesn't make Catholics extremist.

Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:Is your country cracking down gay people? (In africa it is illegal)
If
answer = yes
Then
End If

Another major thing to consider is that the Catholic Church has been a major source of corruption in the country, although there are some churches within protestantism that suffer from the same problems, the Catholic Church has been suffering this for centuries therefore it's high time we give something else a shot. Also I don't understand this whole computer science thing, it seems rather alien to me.

The Pantallerian Bureau of Tourism: Treading on maggots since we got our magnificent go go boots.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Last time I checked the news, the Vatican didn't breathe a word about RH Bill, or about Philippine Politics. CBCP =/= Catholic Church. And the last time I checked, many Catholics are not happy with the CBCP either, including me.

Another major thing to consider is that the Catholic Church has been a major source of corruption in the country, although there are some churches within protestantism that suffer from the same problems, the Catholic Church has been suffering this for centuries therefore it's high time we give something else a shot.

I didn't know much about Spanish Era so I couldn't comment on that but I will say this. We Filipinos, Catholics or not, will do business easier even if its not the good thing to do. Instead of walking, we prefer our jeepneys to stop in the middle of the road. Instead of finding the nearest trash can, we just leave our crap everywhere. Same can be said to other aspects of our society like politics. Its not limited to Catholics. I myself have been doubting whether everytime my parents donate every mass, if it really goes to the poor. I think the important part to remember is that as a country, whatever the state of affairs is of the country is not based on whether or not the populace is Catholic, but how we as a society act to change it.

Same goes with Divorce and RH Bill. Instead of whining how the CBCP blocks these, why not blame the politicians who have no balls to pass it, or why not blame you and me and the other 98 (or so) million Filipinos who are not doing anything to make these two things happen? CBCP is just a bunch of old guys commenting on issues that doesn't affect them, that does not represent all Catholics.

Also I don't understand this whole computer science thing, it seems rather alien to me.

It's fun and easier to understand than what I thought before. Give it a shot if you're bored.
[align=center]

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:Another major thing to consider is that the Catholic Church has been a major source of corruption in the country, although there are some churches within protestantism that suffer from the same problems, the Catholic Church has been suffering this for centuries therefore it's high time we give something else a shot.

I didn't know much about Spanish Era so I couldn't comment on that but I will say this. We Filipinos, Catholics or not, will do business easier even if its not the good thing to do. Instead of walking, we prefer our jeepneys to stop in the middle of the road. Instead of finding the nearest trash can, we just leave our crap everywhere. Same can be said to other aspects of our society like politics. Its not limited to Catholics. I myself have been doubting whether everytime my parents donate every mass, if it really goes to the poor. I think the important part to remember is that as a country, whatever the state of affairs is of the country is not based on whether or not the populace is Catholic, but how we as a society act to change it.

Same goes with Divorce and RH Bill. Instead of whining how the CBCP blocks these, why not blame the politicians who have no balls to pass it, or why not blame you and me and the other 98 (or so) million Filipinos who are not doing anything to make these two things happen? CBCP is just a bunch of old guys commenting on issues that doesn't affect them, that does not represent all Catholics.

Also I don't understand this whole computer science thing, it seems rather alien to me.

It's fun and easier to understand than what I thought before. Give it a shot if you're bored.

Sigh... I would still prefer to see what a protestant state would look like...
Also, what do you mean? How?

The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Fri May 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:I didn't know much about Spanish Era so I couldn't comment on that but I will say this. We Filipinos, Catholics or not, will do business easier even if its not the good thing to do. Instead of walking, we prefer our jeepneys to stop in the middle of the road. Instead of finding the nearest trash can, we just leave our crap everywhere. Same can be said to other aspects of our society like politics. Its not limited to Catholics. I myself have been doubting whether everytime my parents donate every mass, if it really goes to the poor. I think the important part to remember is that as a country, whatever the state of affairs is of the country is not based on whether or not the populace is Catholic, but how we as a society act to change it.

Sigh... I would still prefer to see what a protestant state would look like...

A protestant state would look pretty much like America.
Returning to a darker shade of grey.
Officially, the centerpoint of my flag is a shooting star. Unofficially, it's a dude getting harrassed by bayonets. Weee, Imperialism!
Note: this nation does not represent my views, and is instead a vehicle for me to wage lots of war.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 8:40 pm

The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol wrote:A protestant state would look pretty much like America.

Ah, America. It always amuse me how some religious Conservatives in the US can be both God-loving people while saying f*ck the poor.

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:Sigh... I would still prefer to see what a protestant state would look like...

*Thinks of Philippines with INC being the largest Protestant group*
Nope.

-Try using Microsoft Visual Studio is you're interested with programming. Although it will come with a pricey tag.
[align=center]

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:41 pm

The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol wrote:
The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:Sigh... I would still prefer to see what a protestant state would look like...

A protestant state would look pretty much like America.

And The United Kingdom, and Germany, and Iceland, and Norway and Sweden and Denmar... Actually nevermind, Catholicism maybe not that bad after all.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Fri May 23, 2014 8:45 pm

The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol wrote:A protestant state would look pretty much like America.

And The United Kingdom, and Germany, and Iceland, and Norway and Sweden and Denmar... Actually nevermind, Catholicism maybe not that bad after all.

America is closest to how the phillippines would look, as it actually owned them for a bit, and has a high proportion of catholics (all those irish/italian/hispanic immigrants). The other countries don't fit ao well because they don't have as much in the way of a catholic tradition.
Officially, the centerpoint of my flag is a shooting star. Unofficially, it's a dude getting harrassed by bayonets. Weee, Imperialism!
Note: this nation does not represent my views, and is instead a vehicle for me to wage lots of war.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri May 23, 2014 8:46 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:And The United Kingdom, and Germany, and Iceland, and Norway and Sweden and Denmar... Actually nevermind, Catholicism maybe not that bad after all.

America is closest to how the phillippines would look, as it actually owned them for a bit, and has a high proportion of catholics (all those irish/italian/hispanic immigrants). The other countries don't fit ao well because they don't have as much in the way of a catholic tradition.

About one-third of Germany's population is Catholic.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol wrote:America is closest to how the phillippines would look, as it actually owned them for a bit, and has a high proportion of catholics (all those irish/italian/hispanic immigrants). The other countries don't fit ao well because they don't have as much in the way of a catholic tradition.

I'm talking about the more successful northern protestant part, you know the one that didn't vote Hitler in.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol wrote:America is closest to how the phillippines would look, as it actually owned them for a bit, and has a high proportion of catholics (all those irish/italian/hispanic immigrants). The other countries don't fit ao well because they don't have as much in the way of a catholic tradition.

I stand corrected. I don't really think norway, sweden, denmark, nd britain have had a whole lot of catholiscism in recent centuries, however.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Geilinor wrote:About one-third of Germany's population is Catholic.

I stand corrected. I don't really think norway, sweden, denmark, nd britain have had a whole lot of catholiscism in recent centuries, however.

They're only prominent in Bavaria.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Fri May 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Ah, America. It always amuse me how some religious Conservatives in the US can be both God-loving people while saying f*ck the poor.

Nope.

-Try using Microsoft Visual Studio is you're interested with programming. Although it will come with a pricey tag.

American Catholics actually tend towards liberalism a bit (well, liberalism for america), due to the church's position on things like environmental conservation/social justice. Sure, you have conservative catholics who don't like gov't welfare, but that's less of a catholic thing and more of a conservative one.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Ah, America. It always amuse me how some religious Conservatives in the US can be both God-loving people while saying f*ck the poor.

Nope.

American Catholics actually tend towards liberalism a bit (well, liberalism for america), due to the church's position on things like environmental conservation/social justice. Sure, you have conservative catholics who don't like gov't welfare, but that's less of a catholic thing and more of a conservative one.

Meh, that aside the Catholics are still pretty weird.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 8:56 pm

The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol wrote:American Catholics actually tend towards liberalism a bit (well, liberalism for america), due to the church's position on things like environmental conservation/social justice. Sure, you have conservative catholics who don't like gov't welfare, but that's less of a catholic thing and more of a conservative one.

Meh, that aside the Catholics are still pretty weird.

With thousands of Protestant sects all around the world, I disagree.
[align=center]

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Fri May 23, 2014 8:58 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:Meh, that aside the Catholics are still pretty weird.

With thousands of Protestant sects all around the world, I disagree.

I view Catholicism more as a franchise than anything with the CEO in Vatican city the Headquarters for the Holy See (Catholic Church Incorporated)
Last edited by The Republic of Pantalleria on Fri May 23, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:With thousands of Protestant sects all around the world, I disagree.

I view Catholicism more as a franchise than anything with the CEO in Vatican city the Headquarters for the Holy See (Catholic Church Incorporated)

The same can be said about most of Protestant sects. What sect do you belong to?
[align=center]

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Fri May 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:With thousands of Protestant sects all around the world, I disagree.

Centralized religious governance is actually the norm. For other examples, see: buhhdism, orthodoxy (for each individual orthodox church), islam (on national scales, anyways).

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Well to get rid of these nonsense religious conflicts that is hindering Philippine's progress, why don't we just all agree to go back worshiping anitos, diwatas and stuff like that.
[align=center]

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free and Just Republic of Freedomol » Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Well to get rid of these nonsense religious conflicts that is hindering Philippine's progress, why don't we just all agree to go back worshiping anitos, diwatas and stuff like that.

In any conversation between three people, you'll find at least four dissenting opinions. If everyone suddenly turned atheist, or roman catholic, or sikhist today, we'd just find something elseto fight about.

Emilio Aguinaldo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Emilio Aguinaldo » Fri May 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Nationalist Eminral Republic wrote:Well to get rid of these nonsense religious conflicts that is hindering Philippine's progress, why don't we just all agree to go back worshiping anitos, diwatas and stuff like that.

In any conversation between three people, you'll find at least four dissenting opinions. If everyone suddenly turned atheist, or roman catholic, or sikhist today, we'd just find something elseto fight about.

It would be worse if we are all sikhs especially with their honor killings.
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:Grab your gun, point it at bad guy, pull trigger.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 pm

NSG can't agree on anything
[align=center]

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Sat May 24, 2014 9:28 pm

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:I view Catholicism more as a franchise than anything with the CEO in Vatican city the Headquarters for the Holy See (Catholic Church Incorporated)

The same can be said about most of Protestant sects. What sect do you belong to?

Baptist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General