NATION

PASSWORD

Is Atheism faith?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:51 am

Xirtam wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:Atheism in its pure form is beautifully logical and informed. However, it is a sizable minority of Atheists (particularly the militant ones) that discredit it and give it a bad reputation - by being arrogant, rude, anti-social or unreasonable in trying to dispense their values unto others.

That being said, the vast majority are decent, hardworking and law abiding people, no different to you or I.

Heliocentrism in its pure form is beautifully logical and informed. However, it is a sizable minority of heliocentrists (particularly the militant ones) that discredit it and give it a bad reputation - by being arrogant, rude, anti-social or unreasonable in trying to dispense their values unto others :roll:

I've never come across a rude heliocentrist :D
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Xirtam
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Xirtam » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 am

Srboslavija wrote:
Xirtam wrote:Heliocentrism in its pure form is beautifully logical and informed. However, it is a sizable minority of heliocentrists (particularly the militant ones) that discredit it and give it a bad reputation - by being arrogant, rude, anti-social or unreasonable in trying to dispense their values unto others :roll:

I've never come across a rude heliocentrist :D

If people on NSG starting going around saying "You can't prove the earth isn't flat, my views are exempt from criticism anyway!" me and the rest of the new atheists on NSG will become just as "rude" heliocentrist's as you think this so called "sizable minority of militant atheists" is, and your comment on this group which is supposedly "rude" is clearly a hit piece on new atheist's in NSG, when really there is a massive difference between being rude and using the flying spaghetti monster given right to make reasonable criticisms of absurd and irrational beliefs that should clearly be abandoned.
Anti: Authoritarianism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Nationalism, Religion, Interventionism, Republican party,
Pro: Freedom, Equality, Globalism, Atheism, Secularism, Civil Libertarianism, Cannabis, LGBT rights

Political compass
Economic left/right 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -7.90

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:13 am

Xirtam wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:I've never come across a rude heliocentrist :D

If people on NSG starting going around saying "You can't prove the earth isn't flat, my views are exempt from criticism anyway!" me and the rest of the new atheists on NSG will become just as "rude" heliocentrist's as you think this so called "sizable minority of militant atheists" is, and your comment on this group which is supposedly "rude" is clearly a hit piece on new atheist's in NSG, when really there is a massive difference between being rude and using the flying spaghetti monster given right to make reasonable criticisms of absurd and irrational beliefs that should clearly be abandoned.

If you, as a new atheist, derive peace of mind/joy in life by adhering to the notion that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed", then all the best to you.

But I make no apologies for calling out your boorish behaviour and not wanting to have any association with you - not as a random person on a internet forum, not in real life.
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:29 am

Srboslavija wrote:
Xirtam wrote:If people on NSG starting going around saying "You can't prove the earth isn't flat, my views are exempt from criticism anyway!" me and the rest of the new atheists on NSG will become just as "rude" heliocentrist's as you think this so called "sizable minority of militant atheists" is, and your comment on this group which is supposedly "rude" is clearly a hit piece on new atheist's in NSG, when really there is a massive difference between being rude and using the flying spaghetti monster given right to make reasonable criticisms of absurd and irrational beliefs that should clearly be abandoned.

If you, as a new atheist, derive peace of mind/joy in life by adhering to the notion that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed", then all the best to you.

But I make no apologies for calling out your boorish behaviour and not wanting to have any association with you - not as a random person on a internet forum, not in real life.

You don't have to apologize for disliking anybody, for any reason.

However, I strongly suggest you not fall into the trap of thinking that being polite is the same as being nice, or being morally good. If you want to value polite words and calm tone above content then that is absolutely your prerogative, just don't assume that your metric is the only (or best) metric.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 am

New Aerios wrote:If Atheism is a religion, off is a TV channel.

This guy used the best metaphor for it.

Deusaeuri
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deusaeuri » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:49 am

Surprised this thread is still up. Anyway, Atheism itself is not, in my opinion, a 'faith.' There are, however, non-theistic religions without an idea of god, such as (LaVeyan) Satanism, Buddhism, traditional Chinese religion, et cetera.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:59 am

New Aerios wrote:If Atheism is a religion, off is a TV channel.

This, really.

The lack of a faith can't be a faith.
Last edited by Ainin on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Phoenixfox wrote:I don't see the difference. Either way, you are taking on faith that there either is or is not a snake present. Doesn't the negative claim likewise have a burden to prove it's claim by searching the inside of the shore?

There really isn't one. Gnosticism, whether it is gnostic atheism or gnostic theism requires faith.

Gnosticism is a nonsensical concept when it comes to atheism/theism, as it leads to give a concept far too much credence.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Superior France
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Superior France » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm

No, not at all. Atheism is the lack of Faith.
......VIVE LA FRANCE!......

Wytenigistan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Wytenigistan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Not if it's agnostic...
Union busting is anti-capitalist, unpatriotic and self-destructive.
The Honker Banditess
Your mom's ***** was kosovo last night, just ask her how much iraq.
Right: 2.89
Libertarian: 5.23
Non-interventionist: 5.93
Cultural liberal: 3.22
United Timelines Outpost Number 99999999 wrote:When the Landfill comes to town, old people congeal to their rocking chairs and branch out like meat fungus.

Neoconstantius wrote:NSG: ad hoc ad hominem ad nauseum

Estado Paulista wrote:You can never have too much Xanax.

Kebaballah!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General