NATION

PASSWORD

Is Atheism faith?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Ventelia wrote:
Okay then, I surrender, you are right. Thank you for making me to see it in a different perspective.

Gnostic atheism (i.e. the active disbelief in any deity or deities) requires faith, but most atheists aren't gnostic.

To be honest, I don't know that I've ever actually met even one.
I identify as
a problem

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:33 pm

How can lack of faith be a faith?
hue

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:How can lack of faith be a faith?

It's a desperate attempt at false equivalency. If the biggest weakness of religion is that it's completely unsupported by any kind of evidence, that weakness can be deflected if you can suggest that no one else has any support for anything, either.

It's silly.
I identify as
a problem

Orham
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orham » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Accepting the null hypothesis in light of a lack of evidence supporting the stated hypothesis is not an act of faith. It's an act of logic.
I'm female, so please remember to say "she" or "her" when referring to me.

Medical student, aspiring to be a USN sailor. Pass the scalpel, and hooyah!

If I go too far, tell me in a TG and we can talk about it. Really, I care about that.

Brickistan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Is Atheism faith?

Postby Brickistan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 am

Moroada wrote:Given the lack of evidence that there is no god, it makes sense that it requires faith in order to firmly believe that there is no god. I have a couple of atheist friends who say that they consider atheism to be a religion. The only belief system that doesn't require faith is agnosticism.

There's no evidence that there isn't a teacup orbiting Pluto. Does it require faith then, to reject that claim?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 am

Moroada wrote:Given the lack of evidence that there is no god, it makes sense that it requires faith in order to firmly believe that there is no god. I have a couple of atheist friends who say that they consider atheism to be a religion. The only belief system that doesn't require faith is agnosticism.

Agnosticism is not a third option.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Gnostic atheism (i.e. the active disbelief in any deity or deities) requires faith, but most atheists aren't gnostic.

To be honest, I don't know that I've ever actually met even one.

I've only ever encountered them on the internet.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 am

Brickistan wrote:

There's no evidence that there isn't a teacup orbiting Pluto. Does it require faith then, to reject that claim?

Or a teapot in orbit between the Earth and Mars?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:10 am

Dyakovo wrote:

Agnosticism is not a third option.

Agnosticism or it's inverse equivalent Gnosticism, refers to how certain it is that God or Gods either exist or not.
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Orham
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Orham » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 am

Brickistan wrote:There's no evidence that there isn't a teacup orbiting Pluto. Does it require faith then, to reject that claim?

Actually, that would be mine. I got rather upset one evening and hurled my cup skyward. A pity, too, since it was an heirloom passed down for three generations. I was wondering where it had gotten to. Thank you for finding it for me.

If I go too far, tell me in a TG and we can talk about it. Really, I care about that.

Phoenixfox
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenixfox » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:33 am

I'd say it is just as much faith as any religion because you believe steadfastly in an idea that can not be proven nor disproven.
Servant of God since 2011
Proud Mississippian

Hey Hey - Telegram me, I like telegrams ;)

Zychonia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zychonia » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 am

On this issue I do believe that athiesm is a religion. Due to the fact that all athiests belive there is no God that is a common belief among athiests, common belief in Jesus being the son of God is a common Christian belief. Therefore in my view, athiesm is a religion in a sense due to common belief.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 am

Phoenixfox wrote:I'd say it is just as much faith as any religion because you believe steadfastly in an idea that can not be proven nor disproven.

Zychonia wrote:On this issue I do believe that athiesm is a religion. Due to the fact that all athiests belive there is no God that is a common belief among athiests, common belief in Jesus being the son of God is a common Christian belief. Therefore in my view, athiesm is a religion in a sense due to common belief.

Neither one of you has any idea what atheism is, do you?
Married to Koshka

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:39 am

Zychonia wrote:On this issue I do believe that athiesm is a religion. Due to the fact that all athiests belive there is no God that is a common belief among athiests, common belief in Jesus being the son of God is a common Christian belief. Therefore in my view, athiesm is a religion in a sense due to common belief.

I don't have a religion. I don't want one. Do I seem like I'm religious? Then what is my religion? A lack of one?

Orham
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Orham » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:40 am

Common belief doesn't really come into the equation. Rather, it's about whether one accepts a claim for which they've no supporting evidence.

Phoenixfox wrote:I'd say it is just as much faith as any religion because you believe steadfastly in an idea that can not be proven nor disproven.

That would be gnostic atheism (if I read you correctly), and even then I'm not sure it properly qualifies in light of the fact that there is no burden of proof placed upon a negative claim.

EDIT: Added a parenthetical to response two.
Last edited by Orham on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 am

No....I am not Religious, I was...but I realized it was all bullshit when I was 6 and said fuck it fully some time after that.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Phoenixfox
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenixfox » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 am

Dyakovo wrote:

belief that gods do not exist
Proud Mississippian

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 am

Phoenixfox wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:

belief that gods do not exist

Wrong.
Married to Koshka

Orham
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Orham » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:45 am

Phoenixfox wrote:belief that gods do not exist

I think the distinction between gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism eludes you.

Gnostic Atheism ---> God doesn't exist.
Agnostic Atheism ---> I don't know for certain, but I'm deferring to the null hypothesis that god doesn't exist.

Does that help?

Phoenixfox
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenixfox » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:45 am

Orham wrote:
Phoenixfox wrote:belief that gods do not exist

I think the distinction between gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism eludes you.

Agnostic Atheism ---> I don't know for certain, but I'm deferring to the null hypothesis that god doesn't exist.

Does that help?

So Gnostic Atheism is faith, then.
Proud Mississippian

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 am

Phoenixfox wrote:
Orham wrote:

Does that help?

How?

Orham
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Orham » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 am

Phoenixfox wrote:So Gnostic Atheism is faith, then.

Eh...not really. See, it's a negative claim, so there's no burden of proof induced by its statement. Let's have a non-religious example to show you what I mean:

Positive Claim: "There's a snake in my boots!"
Negative Claim: "There's not a snake in my boots."

The positive one requires evidence, the snake must be produced. In the negative one's case, there is no burden of proof created since negative claims can never be decisively proven. They're the default, and a confirmed positive claim which contradicts a negative one must be produced in order to defeat the negative one.

EDIT: Added the word "confirmed", highlighted in blue. This was an edit for clarity.
Last edited by Orham on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 am

Orham wrote:

Eh...not really. See, it's a negative claim, so there's no burden of proof induced by its statement. Let's have a non-religious example to show you what I mean:

The positive one requires evidence, the snake must be produced. In the negative one's case, there is no burden of proof created since negative claims can never be decisively proven. They're the default, and a positive claim which contradicts a negative one must be produced in order to defeat the negative one.

I will use your explanation as a defence for my gnostic atheism.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 am

Phoenixfox wrote:
Orham wrote:

Does that help?

Yeah, it is.
Married to Koshka

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 am

Orham wrote:

The positive one requires evidence, the snake must be produced. In the negative one's case, there is no burden of proof created since negative claims can never be decisively proven. They're the default, and a confirmed positive claim which contradicts a negative one must be produced in order to defeat the negative one.

EDIT: Added the word "confirmed", highlighted in blue. This was an edit for clarity.

He's right though. A gnostic atheist would have faith a god doesn't exist. An agnostic atheist wouldn't. You're describing an agnostic one.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General