NATION

PASSWORD

Is Atheism faith?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Bolgo
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Jan 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Is Atheism faith?

Postby Bolgo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 am

Well, the definition of faith,

''complete trust or confidence in someone or something.''
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

Atheism is complete trust in the fact there is no God.

''strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.''

There is no proof that there is no God, so it requires faith to believe that. Religion is belief in something, so Atheism is a religion.

What do you guys think?

User avatar
New Aerios
Minister
 
Posts: 2250
Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 am

If Atheism is a religion, off is a TV channel.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12345
Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 am

Is abstinence a sex position?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

User avatar
Polgrusan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:Is abstinence a sex position?


Who knows...
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

User avatar
Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12345
Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:01 am

Bolgo wrote:Well, the definition of faith,

''complete trust or confidence in someone or something.''
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

Atheism is complete trust in the fact there is no God.

''strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.''

There is no proof that there is no God, so it requires faith to believe that. Religion is belief in something, so Atheism is a religion.

What do you guys think?

Of course not. Atheism is a lack of faith.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

User avatar
Polgrusan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:04 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Bolgo wrote:Well, the definition of faith,

''complete trust or confidence in someone or something.''
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

Atheism is complete trust in the fact there is no God.

''strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.''

There is no proof that there is no God, so it requires faith to believe that. Religion is belief in something, so Atheism is a religion.

What do you guys think?

Of course not. Atheism is a lack of faith.


You require faith to be an Atheist, as there is no proof of there being no God. I would consider agnosticism (?) a lack of faith.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

User avatar
Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12345
Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:06 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Of course not. Atheism is a lack of faith.


You require faith to be an Atheist, as there is no proof of there being no God. I would consider agnosticism (?) a lack of faith.

The null hypothesis dictates that the burden of proof is on the theist to prove the existence of a god. As such atheism is faithless.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

User avatar
Larrynaria
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Sep 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Larrynaria » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:08 am

Bolgo wrote:Well, the definition of faith,

''complete trust or confidence in someone or something.''
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

Atheism is complete trust in the fact there is no God.

''strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.''

There is no proof that there is no God, so it requires faith to believe that. Religion is belief in something, so Atheism is a religion.

What do you guys think?


To your first claim, that "atheism is complete trust in the fact that there is no God," any glance at what atheists believe quickly reveals the truth. We do not have complete faith in the non-existence of gods. This is a large misconception about us. In fact, most of us do not believe that there is no God. We simply do not believe that there is a God. The burden of proof lies on the people making the claim, and atheists are simply people who decide that that burden has not been met.
Clarification:
Atheism=/=Belief in NO God.
Atheism=No belief in God.

To your second claim, you should've known that atheists do not have a doctrine. Religion is not belief in something, by the way. Is believing in aliens a religion? I responded to the former part of your second comment already.

User avatar
Deamonopolis
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 430
Founded: Jan 21, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Deamonopolis » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:08 am

Many wannabe Dawkin teenagers are faithful atheists and treat it as if it were some sort of post-monotheist religion, but the heart of atheism is the rejection of the divine. So I would say it's not. Unless you mean fate...

User avatar
Polgrusan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:10 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:
You require faith to be an Atheist, as there is no proof of there being no God. I would consider agnosticism (?) a lack of faith.

The null hypothesis dictates that the burden of proof is on the theist to prove the existence of a god. As such atheism is faithless.


But there is no 100% proof of there being no God. But Atheists believe there is no God. It's a belief without evidence, just like other religions (although some religions have proof of them existing, especially Christianity).
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

User avatar
New Aerios
Minister
 
Posts: 2250
Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:12 am

Polgrusan wrote:
But Atheists believe there is no God.


Larrynaria wrote:Atheism=/=Belief in NO God.
Atheism=No belief in God.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Polgrusan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:12 am

Larrynaria wrote:
Bolgo wrote:Well, the definition of faith,

''complete trust or confidence in someone or something.''
"this restores one's faith in politicians"

Atheism is complete trust in the fact there is no God.

''strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.''

There is no proof that there is no God, so it requires faith to believe that. Religion is belief in something, so Atheism is a religion.

What do you guys think?


To your first claim, that "atheism is complete trust in the fact that there is no God," any glance at what atheists believe quickly reveals the truth. We do not have complete faith in the non-existence of gods. This is a large misconception about us. In fact, most of us do not believe that there is no God. We simply do not believe that there is a God. The burden of proof lies on the people making the claim, and atheists are simply people who decide that that burden has not been met.
Clarification:
Atheism=/=Belief in NO God.
Atheism=No belief in God.

To your second claim, you should've known that atheists do not have a doctrine. Religion is not belief in something, by the way. Is believing in aliens a religion? I responded to the former part of your second comment already.


I always thought agnostics weren't too sure, but that Atheists are sure there is no God...
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

User avatar
New Aerios
Minister
 
Posts: 2250
Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Larrynaria wrote:
To your first claim, that "atheism is complete trust in the fact that there is no God," any glance at what atheists believe quickly reveals the truth. We do not have complete faith in the non-existence of gods. This is a large misconception about us. In fact, most of us do not believe that there is no God. We simply do not believe that there is a God. The burden of proof lies on the people making the claim, and atheists are simply people who decide that that burden has not been met.
Clarification:
Atheism=/=Belief in NO God.
Atheism=No belief in God.

To your second claim, you should've known that atheists do not have a doctrine. Religion is not belief in something, by the way. Is believing in aliens a religion? I responded to the former part of your second comment already.


I always thought agnostics weren't too sure, but that Atheists are sure there is no God...


Agnosticism/Gnosticism is simply the degree of knowledge someone claims to possess.

For example, an agnostic atheist does not believe in a god, but does not claim to know that there is no god. A gnostic atheist claims that they know there is no god. An agnostic theist believes in a god, but does not claim to know that this god exists for certain. A gnostic theist believes in a god and claims to know of its existence.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54792
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:The null hypothesis dictates that the burden of proof is on the theist to prove the existence of a god. As such atheism is faithless.


But there is no 100% proof of there being no God. But Atheists believe there is no God. It's a belief without evidence, just like other religions (although some religions have proof of them existing, especially Christianity).

That's not how the burden of proof works.
Prove the existence of God.
Until that can be done, atheism is the position of "proof not met".
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Atletius
Diplomat
 
Posts: 607
Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Atletius » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:16 am

No, atheism is the direct lack of faith
British Liberal Socialist Student.
Still mourning Robb Stark.

User avatar
Cottesmore
Envoy
 
Posts: 253
Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cottesmore » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:17 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Of course not. Atheism is a lack of faith.


You require faith to be an Atheist, as there is no proof of there being no God. I would consider agnosticism (?) a lack of faith.


Agnosticism is the belief that we will never know or do not have the evidence to prove if there's a God or not.
The Kingdom of Cottesmore
"There is no such thing as innocence - merely varying levels of guilt."

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26


User avatar
Cosmopoles
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5541
Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 am

Polgrusan wrote:But there is no 100% proof of there being no God. But Atheists believe there is no God. It's a belief without evidence, just like other religions (although some religions have proof of them existing, especially Christianity).


Ha, no. There is no more proof of a Christian God than there is proof of the existence of Odin or Zeus or Ra or Baal or Vishnu.

User avatar
Polgrusan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:
But there is no 100% proof of there being no God. But Atheists believe there is no God. It's a belief without evidence, just like other religions (although some religions have proof of them existing, especially Christianity).

That's not how the burden of proof works.
Prove the existence of God.
Until that can be done, atheism is the position of "proof not met".


Exorcisms, Shroud of Turin, identical manuscripts etc.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

User avatar
Polgrusan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:19 am

Cosmopoles wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:But there is no 100% proof of there being no God. But Atheists believe there is no God. It's a belief without evidence, just like other religions (although some religions have proof of them existing, especially Christianity).


Ha, no. There is no more proof of a Christian God than there is proof of the existence of Odin or Zeus or Ra or Baal or Vishnu.


Wrong. Identical manuscripts, Shroud of Turin, exorcisms etc.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

User avatar
Sahrani South
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 384
Founded: Jul 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahrani South » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 am

Well, would you say that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby?

So, obviously, Atheism is the lack of faith.
Sir Thomas McLaughlin-Murray
His Majesty's Ambassador to the WA

Factbook of the Kingdom of Sahrani South

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 54792
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:That's not how the burden of proof works.
Prove the existence of God.
Until that can be done, atheism is the position of "proof not met".


Exorcisms, Shroud of Turin, identical manuscripts etc.

That's not proof of God, that's you saying things.

You're investing a meaning into an object and going "God, see!"

People used to do that to lightning. Doing it in the modern era where we know what causes lightning doesn't make it any more likely to be correct.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Lzherusskia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 501
Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lzherusskia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:22 am

Let's not start throwing around "obviously" like that.

Personally, I'm atheist and I'd say that it's not a faith. My atheism is at least partly motivated by my complete lack of faith in a deity or deities.

User avatar
Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26681
Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:That's not how the burden of proof works.
Prove the existence of God.
Until that can be done, atheism is the position of "proof not met".

Exorcisms, Shroud of Turin, identical manuscripts etc.

Exorcisms are a sham, the Turin shroud was created long after the death of Jesus, and an dusty old manuscript about miasmas does not prove the existence of miasmas - a bunch of manuscripts about god similarly prove nothing.

User avatar
Mexar
Envoy
 
Posts: 226
Founded: Dec 07, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Mexar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 am

It depends on the atheist. If he shrugs his shoulders and says "Meh", it's not. If he starts ranting about it with religious (or anti-religious) zeal, then it is.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeritai, Benuty, Camelone, Dazchan, Dumb Ideologies, East Island Creek, Evil Dictators Happyland, Galloism, Geneviev, Godular, Gormwood, Hanafuridake, Hediacrana, Hurdergaryp, Indo-Malaysia, Jolthig, LiberNovusAmericae, Liriena, Loben The 2nd, Massimolandia, Mitheldalond, Necroghastia, Ngelmish, Novae Romae, Page, Proctopeo, Tekania, Thanatttynia, The Greater Ohio Valley, The New California Republic, The Palmetto, The South Falls, Thermodolia, Torrocca, Vassenor, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Advertisement

Remove ads