NATION

PASSWORD

2016 NFL Offseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will the Broncos make the playoffs in 2016?

Yes
35%
No
28%
The Raiders have a better chance
37%

Total votes : 106

Librica (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Librica (Ancient) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:44 am

Luminesa wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:When your team is as overmatched as the Dolphins were tonight, no coach could have done anything.

True. Pats are gonna go to the Super Bowl again. Angry Brady won't take no less. :lol2:

If the Pats go to the Super Bowl they will lose to Arizona.

Fashie
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fashie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:29 am

Librica wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
True. Pats are gonna go to the Super Bowl again. Angry Brady won't take no less. :lol2:

I am a huge Arizona Cardinals fan, but even I don't think they could win against the pats in the Super Bowl. The sad fact is that until Brady gets a career ending injury or retires, the pats will be good. And considering the pats are my 2nd least favorite team, thats bad for me.
[b]001 North Region St. Avenue Chisholm ELP Class Revised National Capital Building, Newton, Fashie, Floor 47 Rm 019
CEO of N.F.T.(Nuclear Fusion Today)
President of Fashie
Minister Of Defense for CECR
WA Delegate of Chisholm ELP Class Revised
Funny Video
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:56 am

Trumpostan wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:
The Buccaneers were flirting with moving to Baltimore once in 1994. Thank God they didn't.

BTW, today is the 20th anniversary of Modell announcing the Browns were moving to Baltimore. No other moved franchise or expansion franchise (since Super Bowl I in 1966) has been as successful. Yes, the Ravens are 2 for 2 in Super Bowl games. In fact, nine of these fifteen teams have zero, five more have just one. That list includes.... Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, LA/Oak. Raiders, Tenn. Titans, Indy Colts, Texans, Jags, St. Louis Rams, AZ Cardinals, Browns, Seahawks, Bengals! The Dolphins have 2 but also lost one and are in their 50th season. Only 3 of the listed teams are younger than the Ravens, the Titans(1997), Texans(2002) and Browns (1999).

Baltimore is the King of the NFL newbies!!! So we get to have a bad season this year, we earned the right... so all you fans of these slacker teams need to get over it! :p

The Patriots moving from Boston to Foxborough doesn't count, then?* :p

* the Pats rebranded from Boston Pats to New England Pats when that happened, after the NFL rejected the suggestion of Bay State Pats**
** this proves the NFL have had it in for the Pats right from the get go

Nope. Thirty miles is not a relocation, unless you're the size of an ant. I can't even give you a nice try on that. In fact, that was pathetically lame attempt to undermine my spot on post.* >:(

*sounds exactly like the type of psychotic twisted logic which I hear from too many of the Patriots' fans. There must've been plenty of lead paint chips in homes around the Boston area a couple decades ago for the kiddies to nosh on. :p
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:30 am

New Jerzylvania wrote:
Trumpostan wrote:
The Patriots moving from Boston to Foxborough doesn't count, then?* :p

* the Pats rebranded from Boston Pats to New England Pats when that happened, after the NFL rejected the suggestion of Bay State Pats**
** this proves the NFL have had it in for the Pats right from the get go

Nope. Thirty miles is not a relocation, unless you're the size of an ant. I can't even give you a nice try on that. In fact, that was pathetically lame attempt to undermine my spot on post.* >:(

*sounds exactly like the type of psychotic twisted logic which I hear from too many of the Patriots' fans. There must've been plenty of lead paint chips in homes around the Boston area a couple decades ago for the kiddies to nosh on. :p

It is of no concern, really.

But how do you see the NFL-AFL merger? Aren't all old AFL teams technically NFL newcomers as of the merger? Here's a full list:

Boston Patriots (now AFC East as New England Patriots)
Buffalo Bills (now AFC East)
Houston Oilers (now AFC South as Tennessee Titans)
Miami Dolphins (now AFC East)
New York Titans (now AFC East as New York Jets)
Cincinnati Bengals (now AFC North)
Dallas Texans (now AFC West as Kansas City Chiefs)
Denver Broncos (now AFC West)
Los Angeles Chargers (now AFC West as San Diego Chargers)
Oakland Raiders (now AFC West)

There were only 10 AFL teams back then, and 16 AFC teams now.
The Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns (old style, moved to Baltimore to become Ravens) and Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis Colts) moved from the NFL to the newly formed AFC in 1970
Later expansions are Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans and Cleveland Browns (new style, though the NFL officially sees Baltimore Ravens as a new team and the new style Browns the continuation of the old style Browns) :blink:
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:31 am

Librica wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Arizona's gonna lose to Green Bay in the playoffs, so that's not happening.
As much as I'd love to see Larry Fitzgerald get a ring, if Tom's on the other side,
it's not happening...
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:34 am

Luminesa wrote:
Librica wrote:

As much as I'd love to see Larry Fitzgerald get a ring, if Tom's on the other side,
it's not happening...

I find your overabundance of faith disturbing.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:36 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
it's not happening...

I find your overabundance of faith disturbing.

Well, think about it this way, if mah Saints sneak in, we going all the way! :lol2:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:39 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

New Jerzylvania
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jerzylvania » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Trumpostan wrote:
New Jerzylvania wrote:

It is of no concern, really.

But how do you see the NFL-AFL merger? Aren't all old AFL teams technically NFL newcomers as of the merger? Here's a full list:

Boston Patriots (now AFC East as New England Patriots)
Buffalo Bills (now AFC East)
Houston Oilers (now AFC South as Tennessee Titans)
Miami Dolphins (now AFC East)
New York Titans (now AFC East as New York Jets)
Cincinnati Bengals (now AFC North)
Dallas Texans (now AFC West as Kansas City Chiefs)
Denver Broncos (now AFC West)
Los Angeles Chargers (now AFC West as San Diego Chargers)
Oakland Raiders (now AFC West)

There were only 10 AFL teams back then, and 16 AFC teams now.
The Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns (old style, moved to Baltimore to become Ravens) and Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis Colts) moved from the NFL to the newly formed AFC in 1970
Later expansions are Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans and Cleveland Browns (new style, though the NFL officially sees Baltimore Ravens as a new team and the new style Browns the continuation of the old style Browns) :blink:

I started from Super Bowl I, since the measure of success in my post is a SB victory. Teams existing during the 1966 season were competing to be in SB I. They are the original teams from the Super Bowl perspective.

That should be clear enough, if it's not...

All of those teams have had a chance at every SB trophy, except the Cleveland Browns. Therefore, I chose that time, 1966, to start the Newbie team designation, as it is most fitting.

The AFL/NFL Merger came in 1970. I could have started from there. The funny thing about the AFL/NFL merger is you can truly say the 1969 Vikings were NFL Champions, because they actually were, but they were not Super Bowl champions. Same goes for 1968 Baltimore Colts. Makes a great question at a bar, gotten free drinks several times by betting I could name two teams that were NFL champions that lost the SB that same year. It stumps them most times. Remember, I am in my 60s and have seen each of these 49 Super Bowl games and remember a lot of the crap that went on around the merger. The merger was strange at the time, and fans in Baltimore, Cleveland and Pittsburgh did not like going into the old AFL. Especially for Pittsburgh, which was originally an NFL team. The other two's roots were in rival leagues. So, in the merger their owners were compensated $5 million each for switching to the newly formed AFC. In Baltimore's case, the owner (Carroll Rosenbloom) swapped his team before the 1972 season began, like a trading card, for the LA Rams. The Rams' had just been bought by Chicagoan Bob Irsay. Rosenbloom literally got away with the $5 million bucks in compensation and only spent two years (1970 & 1971) in the AFC before returning personally to the NFC via ownership of the Rams in 1972, plus he also avoided paying capital gains tax. Slick. Check this article from 1992 on the 20th anniversary of the swap and you'll learn plenty of wild stuff about this inside history and the effect of it on the league... http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-0 ... rosenbloom

So that in essence is why I've choose the end of the 1966 season as a starting point. Simple decision on the surface, yet complex enough on the inside. 8)

The AFL started with 8 teams in 1960. There were also 2 NFL expansion teams in 1960, the Dallas Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings. All these teams had a crack at each and every Super Bowl birth. The 1966 expansions in both leagues (AFL - Cincy & Miami, NFL - New Orleans & Atlanta) were problematic for me at first and I included them with the so called Newbie teams, but have since edited them out. I reversed field on this because they did get to play and compete (LOL) for a birth in SB I and all other Super Bowls. The reason they weren't included with the original SB era teams in my first post was they were really lousy expansion teams for many years and it didn't seem fair at all, nevertheless a historical line has to be drawn. It's amazing the four of them have played a total of 200 NFL seasons between them by the end of this year and have only three Lombardi Trophies between them to show for it. Also, they have only 7 Super Bowl appearances between them. That's a 3.5% appearance rate, which is far less than a single team statistically would expect over the soon to be 50 year span of Super Bowls. That's some serious short comings. A partial explanation is the NFL and AFL owners in the mid 1960s really invented these teams to be canon fodder for at least 20 years. The only reason the Dolphins broke through was of the issue of Dolphin owner Joe Robbie tampering with Colts' coach Don Shula and the talent he brought with him. Check this article out on the implications of that...
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/3/18/8 ... -baltimore

The expansion teams in the 1970s, Buccaneers and Seahawks, were equally as futile, and were designed for a long uphill climb. The Buccaneers are testament to that and lost their first 26 games. Not until the 1994 expansion was this sham corrected. Probably because the Panthers and Jaguar owners paid much more to the league for their franchises than the earlier newbies did, and refused to be ripped off by getting a terrible weakling team in return. Baltimore was also snubbed in that 1994 expansion selection, with the final team being awarded to long shot Jacksonville. Baltimore and the State of Maryland expected to get that team. The Baltimore Sun held a contest for naming a new team that year, the winning two names were "The Rhinos" & "The Bombers." The name "Ravens" was amongst the short list, but failed to make the final cut of two names. As for the Cleveland Browns being moved, I hated to see this happen to them. We knew too well what it felt like, but the league provided no alternatives. Basically, it was proof of the modern adage, what comes around, goes around. In the resulting aftermath, the NFL would get the taxpayers of Maryland and Ohio to spring for new stadiums after they both been screwed by them. After all, the free new stadiums are what it was all about anyway. Grrrr.

Anyhow, Baltimore's fans really deserved to have the best of the designated "Newbie teams" in the league after all of that strangeness and dysfunction which dragged on for so many years. We had to show great heart. And as fate would have it, we finally got redress and we are grateful to the powers that be for that. However, the twists and turns were agonizing as they occurred. At times I wish it had all gone normally, as it did for most of the designated original teams in the league before and after the Super Bowl era. At least I think I do... because, on the other side of the coin are the fans of the Lions, Cardinals and others. Yes, being an NFL fan can be a much, much emptier and desolate experience, with far less drama or celebration to entertain you through the many years than being a Baltimore football fan the last 60 years. Continual losing, season after season, decade after decade, is the worst thing... except for not having a team. No team to root for is definitely the worst, because then there is no hope at all.

Therefore, as a fan of Baltimore teams, I am satisfied with the ways things have turned out. Even including this disappointing 2015 season. That's a small matter, as Baltimore Football shall always strive to compete and the fans will be there to hope for another taste of a championship season.
DEFCON 1

Clinton/Kaine 2016

It is the solemn and patriotic duty of all true Americans to prevent the election of Donald J. Trump as the next President of the United States by use of the ballot box.
Even if it means you might have to be called for jury duty!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 pm

This...made my week...

"Sprained his ankle by shoving his foot into his mouth."

...Wow. :rofl:
-Alan Jackson

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:25 pm

Luminesa wrote:

This...made my week...

I was a fan of "Grade 3 panty sprain" and "Human pitstain" myself.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:38 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Luminesa wrote:
This...made my week...

I was a fan of "Grade 3 panty sprain" and "Human pitstain" myself.

That's Greg Hardy in a nutshell, for sure.
Last edited by Luminesa on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Librica (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Librica (Ancient) » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:55 am

This is probably Baltimore's last season as an NFL team.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 am

Librica wrote:This is probably Baltimore's last season as an NFL team.

Why you think that? :eyebrow:
-Alan Jackson

Trumpostan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:26 am

Luminesa wrote:

Maybe they're gonna switch to soccer?
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!

Bhikkustan
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhikkustan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:21 pm

TFW when ur trying to troll a reaction but no one cares cos they know ur trolling.
;)
Sunni Muslim ۞ Shafi'i Fiqh ۞ Ashari Aqidah ۞ Wasatiyyah
illegible nutrition enthousiast - nomadism or barbarism
Crimea is Russia Ukraine Tatar
~ Free East Turkistan and Palestine ~

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Trumpostan wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

If Baltimore is switching to soccer, then Jacksonville will probably be switching to ballet. Then again, that might still be too intimidating. *shrug*
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:05 pm

LETS GO FALCONS, 7-1 HERE WE COME!

RISE UP!
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Bhikkustan
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhikkustan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:05 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Trumpostan wrote:

If Baltimore is switching to soccer, then Jacksonville will probably be switching to ballet. Then again, that might still be too intimidating. *shrug*

Plz not soccer. The football is my distraction from how boring soccer is!
Sunni Muslim ۞ Shafi'i Fiqh ۞ Ashari Aqidah ۞ Wasatiyyah
illegible nutrition enthousiast - nomadism or barbarism
Crimea is Russia Ukraine Tatar
~ Free East Turkistan and Palestine ~

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:23 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Trumpostan wrote:

If anyone is switching to soccer, it's going to be 49ers. They would be the MLS expansion, the Magnificent Floppers.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Librica (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Librica (Ancient) » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:58 pm

Ravens are switching to Lacrosse.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Librica wrote:Ravens are switching to Lacrosse.

nah, not enough coordination.

Vilatania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilatania » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Wouldn't surprise me.
Agnostic Atheist Libertarian Socialist

Decisions should not be made based solely on the text in a book. Especially a book in which many of it's readers will openly admit that parts of it should not be taken literally.

Zero = Zero. You know who you are.

Librica (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Librica (Ancient) » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:12 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:

nah, not enough coordination.

They just need to get rid of Flacco, then they will be fine.

Trumpostan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:29 pm

Librica wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:nah, not enough coordination.

They just need to get rid of Flacco, then they will be fine.

I heard Ryan Mallett is available :lol:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General