NATION

PASSWORD

2016 NFL Offseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will the Broncos make the playoffs in 2016?

Yes
35%
No
28%
The Raiders have a better chance
37%

Total votes : 106

Rhinocera
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:...You assume I'm mad about only one superbowl? Hell no. That was their first championship while I was a fan. 14 years of patience, and it finally paid off.

Then stop taking shots at my quarterback for no fucking reason. Admit it you would much rather Brady have been drafted a Bronco than a Patriot.

If people are taking shots at a QB, it's gonna be Brady. No doubt he's a stellar player, one of the greats, but there is a lot of ammunition for us to take shots with.
Last edited by Rhinocera on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED STAR HEAVY INDUSTRIES

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=243572

Signatory of The Amistad Declaration on Slavery and the Rights of Man

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98436#p4901606

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Then stop taking shots at my quarterback for no fucking reason.

Welcome to NFL fandom, RIG. Your QB is gonna get mocked and ridiculed. Live with it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Then stop taking shots at my quarterback for no fucking reason.

Welcome to NFL fandom, RIG. Your QB is gonna get mocked and ridiculed. Live with it.

I expect him to be mocked. Persecuted by the league he plays for? Thats unacceptable.
Bailey Quinn, Nice ta meet ya! (Female Pronouns Please)
Also known as Harley
NS Stats are not used here.
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3
Normal is a setting on the dryer

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Welcome to NFL fandom, RIG. Your QB is gonna get mocked and ridiculed. Live with it.

I expect him to be mocked. Persecuted by the league he plays for? Thats unacceptable.

Yeah, he's so mistreated. What with the millions he's still gonna make, his hot ass model wife, giant house, happy kids...his life is such a trial.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:

Yeah, he's so mistreated. What with the millions he's still gonna make, his hot ass model wife, giant house, happy kids...his life is such a trial.

Yeah totally. He's definitely not underpaid for someone who plays at his position at his level. Manning was paid more to be a glorified field manager.
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Yeah, he's so mistreated. What with the millions he's still gonna make, his hot ass model wife, giant house, happy kids...his life is such a trial.

Yeah totally. He's definitely not underpaid for someone who plays at his position at his level. Manning was paid more to be a glorified field manager.

No, just no. Like Brady, Manning has the resume to put up the argument that he is the greatest QB to ever play the game. He had a poor final, injury ridden, season where his team still won the SB. Brady being underpaid has little to do with the Patriots refusing to ante up the cash and everything to do with Brady wanting to leave cap space on the table. If Brady demanded to be paid top dollar, he would have gotten it. If not from the Pats, than from one of the many teams that desperately need a QB.

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:39 pm

Rhinocera wrote:

No, just no. Like Brady, Manning has the resume to put up the argument that he is the greatest QB to ever play the game. He had a poor final, injury ridden, season where his team still won the SB. Brady being underpaid has little to do with the Patriots refusing to ante up the cash and everything to do with Brady wanting to leave cap space on the table. If Brady demanded to be paid top dollar, he would have gotten it. If not from the Pats, than from one of the many teams that desperately need a QB.

Never said it wasn't strategic. And actually that kind of forward-thinking strategy is why Brady is certainly a better QB than Manning.

And seriously? Brady vs. Manning isn't even a contest. One of those QBs has had a 16-0 Regular Season, won 4 Superbowls and been to 6, has lead his team to be the defining dynasty of an era, and has taken a team to the AFC Championship Game 10 straight years. And guess what, that QB's name isn't Peyton Manning.
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:43 pm

God, Pats fans are hilarious when they get going.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:44 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:God, Pats fans are hilarious when they get going.

Broncos fans are pathetic. You all clung to Tim-Fucking-Tebow as your savior back in the day. Like seriously, give me a break. Manning vs. Brady isn't even an argument.
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Rhinocera wrote:

He was leaning more on his D for that win.

But you do have a point. For all his roughness and harshness, Brady is actually rather generous to his fellow players by taking cuts every year for them. Other QBs need to do the same thing. Brees and Flacco have been the worst offenders, unfortunately.

I bleed Black and Gold. I live for Who Dat Nation. Drew Brees throwing a football inherently makes me happy, and he's a great dude. But for the love of everything, HE NEEDS TO TAKE A PAY CUT SO WE CAN PAY FOR OUR PLAYERS. XD
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Broncos fans are pathetic. You all clung to Tim-Fucking-Tebow as your savior back in the day. Like seriously, give me a break. Manning vs. Brady isn't even an argument.

Hey...I liked Tebow.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Rhinocera wrote:

Never said it wasn't strategic. And actually that kind of forward-thinking strategy is why Brady is certainly a better QB than Manning.

And seriously? Brady vs. Manning isn't even a contest. One of those QBs has had a 16-0 Regular Season, won 4 Superbowls and been to 6, has lead his team to be the defining dynasty of an era, and has taken a team to the AFC Championship Game 10 straight years. And guess what, that QB's name isn't Peyton Manning.

16-0 doesn't matter when the season ends with a loss. Peyton Manning holds the records. Yards, touchdowns, and I think he got the record for wins as well. He also doesn't have spygate and deflategate tarnishing his legacy, which Brady does. In regards to the superbowls, Terry Bradshaw has 4 and no one truly believes he is as good as Brady. Brady vs Manning is very much a contest and will likely remained undetermined until many years after Brady retires, when we can truly look back at their legacies.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Not ALL of us. Some of us knew he wasn't taking us anywhere. Still, he was fun while he lasted.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Rhinocera wrote:

16-0 doesn't matter when the season ends with a loss. Peyton Manning holds the records. Yards, touchdowns, and I think he got the record for wins as well. He also doesn't have spygate and deflategate tarnishing his legacy, which Brady does. In regards to the superbowls, Terry Bradshaw has 4 and no one truly believes he is as good as Brady. Brady vs Manning is very much a contest and will likely remained undetermined until many years after Brady retires, when we can truly look back at their legacies.

That's only because people think Steelers and they immediately think 'Defense' not 'Quarterbacks'. Obviously not to downplay Bradshaw in anyway. XD
Last edited by Luminesa on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Rhinocera wrote:16-0 doesn't matter when the season ends with a loss.

Bullshit. Winning 18 games in a season is an achievement, regardless of losing the SuperBowl.

Peyton Manning holds the records. Yards, touchdowns, and I think he got the record for wins as well.

Way to contradict yourself there! You just said losing the Superbowl losses invalidate success. Well, lookie here! Brady holds the yards and TD records in the playoffs, well ahead of Manning.

He also doesn't have spygate and deflategate tarnishing his legacy, which Brady does.

Spygate has nothing to do with Brady, and that kind of taping was a widespread phenomenon at that time. Ultimately, every NFL Team cheats. Its not unique to the Patriots. Its ludicrous to think that gave him an advantage. And besides, Deflategate? Properly termed 'The NFL Doesnt Understand Gas Law'-gate. The only people clinging to that are butthurt losers that root for teams the Patriots usually blowout.

In regards to the superbowls, Terry Bradshaw has 4 and no one truly believes he is as good as Brady.

Your right. The Steelers were a defensive powerhouse. This reflects on Brady leading his team to 4 Superbowl victories and 6 appearances how? Brady never had a defense comparable to the Steel Curtain.

Brady vs Manning is very much a contest and will likely remained undetermined until many years after Brady retires, when we can truly look back at their legacies.

No. Not really. Unless you just want to put down the QB that wrecked your team last Sunday.
Also known as Harley
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:54 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Rhinocera wrote:

That's only because people think Steelers and they immediately think 'Defense' not 'Quarterbacks'. Obviously not to downplay Bradshaw in anyway. XD

Of course. Bradshaw was undeniably a great quarterback, as evidenced by his place in Canton. They don't win those 4 Superbowls without Bradshaw. I'm a hardcore steelers fan myself.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Speaking of that......... if there's one QB who deserves more shout out in that regards than Brady and Manning (remember, his coaches were not close to Belichik's calibre either) in getting his teams through tough situations, it'd have to be John Elway.

I mean he's lost his first 3, but Denver only had Elway (those were the post-Orange Crush defence era, remember) and he just singlehandedly led them to many glories and 3 Super Bowl appearances, before they finally assembled Davis and a team that landed Denver 2 Super Bowls :P

And it's not like they had good coaches either. Until Shanahan came very late in his NFL career, Elway didn't have good coaching staff. This is unlike Brady who had Belichik the entire time, and for Manning Tony Dungy in Indy, though that's more to show how bad Denver coaching staff was back in those days than to compare those 2 coaches. So it was pretty much up to him to drag his Broncos, season after season, and guess what happened? He did drag the Broncos to at least first 3 SB appearances, before walking off with the Lombardi on 4th and 5th tries while playing significant role in the offence. Granted they did have Davis and Sharpe on offence, but that's not the point. Elway, for the entirety of his career, has been an irreplaceable part of that Denver team and once he charged with force, so did them.

That's something I doubt either Brady or Manning would've done under that situation.

So what does that entail? Elway >>>>>>> Manning = Brady :P

Tbh just putting one fanbase forward, in a generalised way, as pathetic reflects more on the fanbase the accuser belongs to, than anything else :P

Nipping the bait was a good idea, eh?

Luminesa wrote:
Rhinocera wrote:

Exactly this. Until fairly recently did we imagine Steelers as only defence and running game (to lesser extent on latter, ofc)....it wasn't until the Steelers defence got lot older and guys like Polamaru heading off to the sunset that they retooled into a much more offensively-driven team.

Rhinocera wrote:

1. You do forget that a) Manning has taken pay cuts in a couple of occasions to provide his team more cap space, b) stayed out for far longer period of time than expected on his lost season to give them the run at Luck c) left Indy as necessary, as opposed to giving a mess like that of Favre with his end of time in Green Bay. If there's anything, you are really not proving anything with this because both have done enough to keep the teams floating and in running for contention.

2. Have you ever thought that this is more on coach Belichik's success to build a system that suited Brady perfect than just on the QB? They're almost like father-and-son level of bonding, I gotta say (if only Manning had something like that with a coaching legend....).

Heck, that 11-5 record with Brady out more or less proves that it's more on the system than anything else. Not downgrading Brady's legacy (he's a great QB, nobody's denying that), but really, a food for thought on that.

Brady vs Manning is very much a contest and will likely remained undetermined until many years after Brady retires, when we can truly look back at their legacies.

My stance exactly. I am not going to say that one is better than the another for a couple of decades at least because obviously only one of them retired and we don't when the other will retire.

Also.....Why the hell aren't people really agree to that? Heck, there is no purpose in trying to say that one is better than the other. Personally, I'm just happy to be around to watch both of them play in their beginnings, heydays and of course now.

No. Not really. Unless you just want to put down the QB that wrecked your team last Sunday.

I don't recall there being a game that involved Broncos against Brady's Patriots :P

Or am I mistaken? LOL.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Rhinocera wrote:16-0 doesn't matter when the season ends with a loss.

Bullshit. Winning 18 games in a season is an achievement, regardless of losing the SuperBowl.

Peyton Manning holds the records. Yards, touchdowns, and I think he got the record for wins as well.

Way to contradict yourself there! You just said losing the Superbowl losses invalidate success. Well, lookie here! Brady holds the yards and TD records in the playoffs, well ahead of Manning.

He also doesn't have spygate and deflategate tarnishing his legacy, which Brady does.

Spygate has nothing to do with Brady, and that kind of taping was a widespread phenomenon at that time. Ultimately, every NFL Team cheats. Its not unique to the Patriots. Its ludicrous to think that gave him an advantage. And besides, Deflategate? Properly termed 'The NFL Doesnt Understand Gas Law'-gate. The only people clinging to that are butthurt losers that root for teams the Patriots usually blowout.

In regards to the superbowls, Terry Bradshaw has 4 and no one truly believes he is as good as Brady.

Your right. The Steelers were a defensive powerhouse. This reflects on Brady leading his team to 4 Superbowl victories and 6 appearances how? Brady never had a defense comparable to the Steel Curtain.

I'll concede that the 16-0 regular season record they had that year was an achievement, though it is not a truly great one. In regards to me saying that losing a superbowl invalidates success, that isn't what I said. I said that a 16-0 regular season doesn't matter if you end on a loss. Doesn't matter may be a little bit of an exaggeration, but it does greatly mitigate the teams season. Teams such as the 85 Bears, which lost one game, will forever be remembered as legendary teams, not to mention the perfect season put forth by Shula's dolphins. However, a player cannot be measured in his superbowl successes alone. Dan Marino was a great quarterback, but never won the big game. There have also been quarterbacks who were not great, yet won superbowls. I won't even address the cheating allegations because that is a whole argument by itself. I will address the butthurt loser comment. Don't lash out, I'm keeping it civil on my end. Do the same and show some class. In regards to my statement on Bradshaw, I was simply stating that Brady's 4 superbowls aren't enough to simply enshrine him as the greatest QB of all time. He's not the only QB to accomplish the feat, simply the most recent. He also didn't do it alone, something he shares in common with the other two who accomplished the feat. Kevin Faulk, Vince Wilfork, Deion Branch, Ty Law, Rob Gronkowski, Bill Belicheck. Montana, Bradshaw, and Brady all had a number of great players on their respective teams. They also all had great coaches. While the Patriots may not have had the hall of famer filled squads that the niners and steelers did, its ridiculous to suggest that Brady was solely responsible. In regards to your last comment, I don't even know what your trying to say. My team, the Steelers, lost to the Patriots when they last played. That was almost a year ago, we'll see again this year. The Bronco's, who I believe you are referring to, beat the Patriots in their last matchup.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:14 am

Your QB is Buttfumble. The Pats have Brady. Nuff said.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:18 am

Outer Sparta wrote:

Your QB is Buttfumble. The Pats have Brady. Nuff said.

You all keep saying that like it's a surprise. I know this season is fucked for Denver. I've accepted it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:22 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:Your QB is Buttfumble. The Pats have Brady. Nuff said.

You all keep saying that like it's a surprise. I know this season is fucked for Denver. I've accepted it.

I still think a playoff berth is in the cards for the Broncos. Sanchez, with a supporting cast, has been deep into the playoffs. He's got two very good receiving options and a decent running back situation. The defense is also still very much intact, despite losing Malik Jackson.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:23 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

You also said the Pats will start their season 0-4, despite playing opponents like the Fins and Texans because Brady is lost to Baddell's suspension.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:24 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

The real question is, does Buttfumble really represent a significant downgrade from Noodlearms? I actually think Denver will be fine, since QB was never their strong suit anyway, they just need someone to hold the fort while the Defense keeps them on the field.

That's not to take away from the greatness that was Peyton Manning at all, when he was hot and picking apart defenses he was nigh unstoppable, but even after his physical abilities regressed the team wasn't slowed down because Defense is their real strength.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:26 am

Outer Sparta wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:You all keep saying that like it's a surprise. I know this season is fucked for Denver. I've accepted it.

You also said the Pats will start their season 0-4, despite playing opponents like the Fins and Texans because Brady is lost to Baddell's suspension.

Well, yeah. Of course I do. Cause it's gonna happen.

I'm so confident, I'll up my little bet. I'll make the "I Love Tom Brady" bolded, all caps and bright pink if they win any of them.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:31 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:You also said the Pats will start their season 0-4, despite playing opponents like the Fins and Texans because Brady is lost to Baddell's suspension.

Well, yeah. Of course I do. Cause it's gonna happen.

I'm so confident, I'll up my little bet. I'll make the "I Love Tom Brady" bolded, all caps and bright pink if they win any of them.

They play the fucking Fins. They literally are a dumpster fire who wrecked their salary cap.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General