NATION

PASSWORD

Should military service (or related service) be required?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should military service be required for each able-bodied citizen for one or two years?

Yes, as long as alternatives like the Peace Corps and AmeriCorps are allowed.
24%
Yes, but only military service should be allowed.
10%
No, because one or two years is too long. Mandatory service should be limited to a number of months.
4%
No, because it should not be required at all.
56%
Other
6%

Total votes : 292

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:
Yes, but both Vietnam and WWII both involved "get your butt over there shooting some people" and no other options unless you were an engineer or a doctor. In a scenario in which you have a lot more freedom and options within required service, where is the civil instability?

Public opinion and mass protests against Vietnam can be traced back as early as 1963, after the Peace Corps was established. So, again: US involvement in Vietnam.

But the draft did not allow the Peace Corps as an alternative.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:It builds discipline and perseverance, adds a sense of being part of a nation and the civil duties that go along with it, it improves diplomacy and saves the lives of people living in poverty. The benefits would seem to outweigh the costs.

Only if they want to do it, otherwise it'll have the opposite effect.

You're suggesting they will be rebellious? Yeah, we'll see how long that will last in the military or the Peace Corps.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:01 pm

This ultimately depends on the situation the nation is in:
Israel? Absolutely as the nation's existence depends on it.
A nation like France, Canada, or New Zealand? No, it's unnecessary and would be ultimately unwanted.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Only if they want to do it, otherwise it'll have the opposite effect.

You're suggesting they will be rebellious? Yeah, we'll see how long that will last in the military or the Peace Corps.

Oh, so they'll just perform poorly as they make it look like they're doing things to avoid punishment.
That's much better. :roll:
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:You're suggesting they will be rebellious? Yeah, we'll see how long that will last in the military or the Peace Corps.

There are plenty of ways to be disruptive and undisciplined without being rebellious...not to mention said sentiments will outlast their time in the service. I would say a lot of people aren't going to be too keen on being forced to piss away two years of their life doing national service, if they wanted to they would have done so already.
Last edited by Vetalia on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

Oh, so they'll just perform poorly as they make it look like they're doing things to avoid punishment.

Well then that's an issue of not enough supervision. I honestly suspect that if everyone's doing it, and you have a reasonable amount of freedom in where you go and what you do, that a sense of civic responsibility will ride over any "but I don't want to work!!!"

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Well then that's an issue of not enough supervision. I honestly suspect that if everyone's doing it, and you have a reasonable amount of freedom in where you go and what you do, that a sense of civic responsibility will ride over any "but I don't want to work!!!"

I'd really rather work in my chosen field in a job of my choosing.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:You're suggesting they will be rebellious? Yeah, we'll see how long that will last in the military or the Peace Corps.

There are plenty of ways to be disruptive and undisciplined without being rebellious...not to mention said sentiments will outlast their time in the service. I would say a lot of people aren't going to be too keen on being forced to piss away two years of their life doing national service, if they wanted to they would have done so already.

Surely though they will be aware of the fact that they are actively making the lives of other people better. How can you distribute aid to impoverished people and then walk away going "well F*CK THAT!" ?

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Oh, so they'll just perform poorly as they make it look like they're doing things to avoid punishment.

Well then that's an issue of not enough supervision. I honestly suspect that if everyone's doing it, and you have a reasonable amount of freedom in where you go and what you do, that a sense of civic responsibility will ride over any "but I don't want to work!!!"

Iraq? Russia in WW2? Put as much supervision as you want but a volunteer military is more likely motivated, better equipped, and generally better trained. Again, this differs depending on the nation's political situation.
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

Under construction

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Surely though they will be aware of the fact that they are actively making the lives of other people better. How can you distribute aid to impoverished people and then walk away going "well F*CK THAT!" ?

Easy, really. I'd certainly rather work in my chosen field doing something I enjoy than go over to some Third World country to distribute aid.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Oh, so they'll just perform poorly as they make it look like they're doing things to avoid punishment.

Except it's not about not wanting to work.

It's about them not wanting to work for the Military or the Peace Corps.

Moral arguments aside, conscripted servicemen are less motivated, less effective, and a poor investment as they will be highly unlikely to reenlist.
I'm General Patton.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Oaledonia wrote:

Iraq? Russia in WW2? Put as much supervision as you want but a volunteer military is more likely motivated, better equipped, and generally better trained. Again, this differs depending on the nation's political situation.

It mostly will still be a volunteer service. How many people will choose the military over Peace Corps or AmeriCorps that wouldn't have gone into the military anyway?

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Surely though they will be aware of the fact that they are actively making the lives of other people better. How can you distribute aid to impoverished people and then walk away going "well F*CK THAT!" ?

Because they won't see distributing aid.
They'll see "Move this pallet of stuff from this point to that point."

Only a handful of people would distribute aid and see the results of 'their' work. The vast majority will see military/peace-corps bureaucracy and shipping.
I'm General Patton.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Surely though they will be aware of the fact that they are actively making the lives of other people better. How can you distribute aid to impoverished people and then walk away going "well F*CK THAT!" ?

Easy, really. I'd certainly rather work in my chosen field doing something I enjoy than go over to some Third World country to distribute aid.

I'm sure you rather would, but I'm just saying it will be hard for you to be particularly resentful after feeding starving people in Africa.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Because different people have different interests, and there is more to life than distributing aid to starving Africans.

Seriously, fuck this totalitarian bullshit.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:I'm sure you rather would, but I'm just saying it will be hard for you to be particularly resentful after feeding starving people in Africa.

I'm being forced to do something I don't want to do, of course I'll be resentful.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Oaledonia wrote:Iraq? Russia in WW2? Put as much supervision as you want but a volunteer military is more likely motivated, better equipped, and generally better trained. Again, this differs depending on the nation's political situation.

It mostly will still be a volunteer service. How many people will choose the military over Peace Corps or AmeriCorps that wouldn't have gone into the military anyway?

That's still an issue for funding and logistics, seeing as now you're straining the already outstretched economy on more equipment, training, and payment to these conscripts.

Under construction

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

Because they won't see distributing aid.
They'll see "Move this pallet of stuff from this point to that point."

Only a handful of people would distribute aid and see the results of 'their' work. The vast majority will see military/peace-corps bureaucracy and shipping.

I think that's a error in one method of the system that could be fixed. And there's several ways to fix it.

(A) - Allow people the opportunity to switch jobs regularly if they wish.

(B) - Make aid distribution a required job that each person takes part in at least once a month.

(C) - Have "field trip" days to see the lives of the people in the respective country or impoverished area.

(D) - All of the above.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Oaledonia wrote:

That's still an issue for funding and logistics, seeing as now you're straining the already outstretched economy on more equipment, training, and payment to these conscripts.

That's very faulty logic. Spending more money on all of that equipment, training, and payment will only grow the economy, not strain it. There is zero reason why the economy would be strained by spending that money.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Seriously, how is conscription, military or otherwise, anything but slavery?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:I'm sure you rather would, but I'm just saying it will be hard for you to be particularly resentful after feeding starving people in Africa.

I'm being forced to do something I don't want to do, of course I'll be resentful.

We're forced to do or not do a lot of things. That's why we have laws. Paying taxes and education are both compulsory at some level in the US, and yet the benefits outweigh the costs.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Oaledonia wrote:That's still an issue for funding and logistics, seeing as now you're straining the already outstretched economy on more equipment, training, and payment to these conscripts.

That's very faulty logic. Spending more money on all of that equipment, training, and payment will only grow the economy, not strain it. There is zero reason why the economy would be strained by spending that money.

There are many other ways to grow the economy that do not require enslaving individuals to the state.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Seriously, how is conscription, military or otherwise, anything but slavery?

By that logic, compulsory education is slavery as well.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:We're forced to do or not do a lot of things. That's why we have laws. Paying taxes and education are both compulsory at some level in the US, and yet the benefits outweigh the costs.

And people become resentful against paying taxes if they feel they're too onerous, too unfair, or they aren't getting benefits commensurate to the taxes paid. Same with education.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

There are many other ways to grow the economy that do not require enslaving individuals to the state.

It isn't slavery when you get paid and you have a significant amount of freedom in choosing exactly what you do.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General