NATION

PASSWORD

Should military service (or related service) be required?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should military service be required for each able-bodied citizen for one or two years?

Yes, as long as alternatives like the Peace Corps and AmeriCorps are allowed.
24%
Yes, but only military service should be allowed.
10%
No, because one or two years is too long. Mandatory service should be limited to a number of months.
4%
No, because it should not be required at all.
56%
Other
6%

Total votes : 292

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Should military service (or related service) be required?

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:31 pm

While it often isn't even considered as a realistic idea, I've been reading up on the idea that developed countries such as the United States should require a certain number of years of military service or as an alternative, something like the Peace Corps or other full-time related service. This is considered pretty radical, but there is a case to be made for it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/30/bring-back-military-draft

Our governments order it, and it just happens. We shrug, safe that it's not going to affect us one way or the other. If our own apathy troubles us, as it should, it is perhaps our own fault for letting slip one of the core tenets of the world's first democracy. For the ancient Athenians, a non-negotiable prerequisite for citizenship was the completion of compulsory military service and availability in the reserves. To hold public office and voting rights, you had to have skin in the game: quite literally, your own and probably your family's. In short, Athenian citizens could not afford not to care about their foreign policy.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/us-should-have-mandatory-national-service-for-all-citizens/Content?oid=2179665

More than 1 million young adults begin attending four-year colleges each year. As a condition of admission to a public college or to receive federal funds to attend a private college, students could be required to serve their country for up to two years, in civilian national service programs such as AmeriCorps or the Peace Corps or homeland security efforts such as guarding nuclear plants or in the military. Some would choose the military, especially if they were to receive more GI Bill-type college aid as a reward for more dangerous duty.

I know numerous professionals who financed their educations with federal loans, scholarships and fellowships. As a condition of receiving these funds, they could be required to perform two years of national service. Doctors could, for example, serve in veteran’s hospitals or agree to treat a specific number of veterans in their private offices at no cost. So could psychologists and social workers.

Like health care professionals, lawyers who receive federal funds could serve for two years in many capacities. Each day, the VA attempts to deal with thousands of troop benefit claims. Lawyers who are doing their two-year national service could help streamline an otherwise dysfunctional process.

Journalists can serve. We tend to be patient researchers, keen observers and writers of clear prose. Countless federal agencies could use our talents for two years.

Again, all able-bodied, mentally fit citizens could and should serve. We should earn the right to enjoy our great freedoms and amenities that others have died for and will continue to die for.

While I still haven't formed a full opinion on this, this actually seems like it could be a very practical idea, especially if programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps are allowed as well. We already don't have enough jobs for our population, and this would help us to have the manpower to complete enormous projects. It could also strengthen our diplomacy across the globe, because I suspect a lot of people would choose things like the Peace Corps rather than the military.

I know that when someone on NSG posts something "out there," it is often met with a lot of single word responses like "no." But I hope you all will warrant your arguments as well.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm

No. I ran away to avoid military service.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes, it teaches young adults discipline.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Divair wrote:No. I ran away to avoid military service.

Couldn't they arrest you for that?

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Dehumanizing people and turning them into weapons is not beneficial for humanity.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:

I'm sure they could try, but they'd have to cross a continent to reach me.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Only in countries with potentially hostile borders, and only if there are noncombatant options available.

Otherwise? Absolutely not.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Dehumanizing people and turning them into weapons is not beneficial for humanity.

But what if you don't have to be a weapon? What if you can do something like the Peace Corps as an alternative?
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Death Metal wrote:Only in countries with potentially hostile borders, and only if there are noncombatant options available.

Why not?

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Divair wrote:

I'm sure they could try, but they'd have to cross a continent to reach me.

But they could ask the UK Police to hand you over.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Divair wrote:I'm sure they could try, but they'd have to cross a continent to reach me.

UK police don't give a fuck.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:Yes, it teaches young adults discipline.

School doesn't?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Dehumanizing people and turning them into weapons is not beneficial for humanity.

But what if you don't have to be a weapon? What if you can do something like the Peace Corps as an alternative?

You know you need to be highly educated for Peace Corps right?

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Norstal wrote:

School doesn't?

No, it definitely doesn't. Not like the military or the Peace Corps.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Norstal wrote:

School doesn't?

Not really.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

The military should remain all volunteer.

As for mandatory civilian work, such as working at a charity or some other thing, I used to say no but I'm now at the stage where I'm not entirely for nor against it. Opinion being formed I guess.

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

No. It's a waste of time and money that has no place in the 1st World any more. If we are going to put people into the military/public service, it should be for the chronically unemployed rather than getting in the way of the careers and lives of young people.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Divair wrote:

UK police don't give a fuck.

That's true. :lol:

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Norstal wrote:

You know you need to be highly educated for Peace Corps right?

There's no reason that couldn't be changed, especially if the Peace Corps created a wing specifically for people just out of high school.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Fuck no.

Israeli police do not have jurisdiction over the UK.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Death Metal wrote:Only in countries with potentially hostile borders, and only if there are noncombatant options available.

Why not?

Because no successful and free state should ever need to draft servicepeople in peacetimes, unless and only unless they were under constant threat of invasion.

Forced military service into non-defensive or retaliatory conflicts also brings with it civil destability and conflict. See: US involvement in Vietnam (Plagued with mass protests, flights to Canada, and suicides) vs US involvement in WWII (Near-uniform support and had so many people enlisting that they had to turn people away).
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Mandatory military or other service is just as bad as conscription, so no, we shouldn't put it into place.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Fuck no.

Israeli police do not have jurisdiction over the UK.

Yes I know, but they could always ask the UK Police. But as Divair said, the Police in the UK don't give a fuck.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Norstal wrote:School doesn't?

No, it definitely doesn't. Not like the military or the Peace Corps.

But it can be. Schools in Asia teaches discipline. There's no need to have discipline instilled outside of schools.

Norstal wrote:You know you need to be highly educated for Peace Corps right?

There's no reason that couldn't be changed, especially if the Peace Corps created a wing specifically for people just out of high school.

...You...do realize what the Peace Corps does? They can't just take in random people like that. They help coordinate businesses, plan out infrastructures, being teachers, etc. If you do that you'll lower the quality the services the Peace Corps offers.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 pm

I don't really see the benefit.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads