NATION

PASSWORD

*NSG Peace Prize* 2013

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Final poll

Poll ended at Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 am

Malala Yousafzai
33%
International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
17%
Edward Joseph Snowden
18%
Pope Francis alias Jorge Mario Bergoglio
11%
Vladimir Vladimirovič Putin
11%
Human Rights Activists in Russia
3%
Hassan Rouhani
3%
Claudia Paz y Paz
4%

Total votes : 72

Americanada
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Americanada » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Malala Yousafzai - an advocate for women's rights and access to education in a region where even the most basic rights of women are violently repressed, Malala has endured attacks on her own life while tirelessly raising awareness of the issue of access to education for women. She has powerfully stood up to the Taliban and their violent campaign against the dignity of women. Malala's peaceful yet strong message of a better world where all women are free to receive an education without fear has been an incredible inspiration to girls and women around the world who have been unjustly denied access to the education they deserve.

Since I managed to completely forget that just because somebody was alive the last time I checked does not mean they still are, I concur your nomination.
"The notion of a Christian commonwealth should be exploded forever...Government should protect every man in thinking and speaking freely, and see that one does not abuse another. The liberty I contend for is more than toleration. The very idea of toleration is despicable; it supposes that some have a pre-eminence above the rest to grant indulgence, whereas all should be equally free, Jews, Turks, Pagans and Christians."

-Minister John Leland

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Sahrani DR wrote:I'd go for Edward Snowden, but i'd propose awarding the prize, if possible, to the Anonymous Whistleblower, as i think that there are many people, like Chelsea Manning and Assange, that would deserve the prize, too.

None of those people wee anonymous, and neither Snowden nor Assange deserve any kind of award other than "biggest glory whore of the year".
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I support Malala's nomination for the reasons Regnum listed.
Forever a Communist

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Jerusalemian wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:
I like the Red Cross too, but I don't normally pull for organisations for a couple reasons. First of all, an organisation typically has far more resources and power than an individual, so it is capable of accomplishing far more. Secondly, the Red Cross has been engaged in these activities in Syria and Sudan and the like for some time; they haven't done anything exceptional in 2013 that they haven't done in 2012. I tend to prefer nominees who really have done something to stand out from their daily routines. If the Red Cross were to win it, they probably should have done so a year or two ago.

Pssst
Support teh Pope!

I don't think Pope Francis deserves it either. What he's done since he's become pope amounts to telling people to be nicer and more respectful to each other. Plenty of other people around the world are saying the same thing, some in a much better way as well, but he gets a standing ovation for it because he's the pope and popes rarely say things like that. It's reminiscent of when Obama won the peace prize, almost as though the committee was awarding it to him for 'not being Bush'. Now instead Francis is being nominated, as though people are relieved he isn't Ratzinger.

Sahrani DR
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 06, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Sahrani DR » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Sahrani DR wrote:I'd go for Edward Snowden, but i'd propose awarding the prize, if possible, to the Anonymous Whistleblower, as i think that there are many people, like Chelsea Manning and Assange, that would deserve the prize, too.

None of those people wee anonymous, and neither Snowden nor Assange deserve any kind of award other than "biggest glory whore of the year".

The idea was to have something like the Unknown Soldier around the world, but the way you expressed your "opinions" shows that discussing with you is no use.
Political Compass:
Economic Left: -8.25
Social Libertarian: -3.15

About North Korea's allowed haircuts:
Hurdegaryp wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Well I'd be fucked. I went bald at 20.....

To the gulag with you, comrade! No place for degenerate bald-headed bourgeois class traitors in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea!

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Blekksprutia wrote:It looks like 1 haircut viewed from 28 different angles.

That's the undeniable superiority of the Juche doctrine in action for you. All shall be equal!
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/7193/y0bu.png
Souseiseki wrote:
Sahrani DR wrote:how do you even learn japanese?

sacrifice to the blood god

Jerusalemian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalemian » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Jerusalemian wrote:Pssst
Support teh Pope!

I don't think Pope Francis deserves it either. What he's done since he's become pope amounts to telling people to be nicer and more respectful to each other. Plenty of other people around the world are saying the same thing, some in a much better way as well, but he gets a standing ovation for it because he's the pope and popes rarely say things like that. It's reminiscent of when Obama won the peace prize, almost as though the committee was awarding it to him for 'not being Bush'. Now instead Francis is being nominated, as though people are relieved he isn't Ratzinger.

True.....
True teaching is not an accumulation of knowledge; it is an awaking of consciousness which goes through successive stages.

The best and shortest road towards knowledge of truth is Nature.

Social good is what brings peace to family and society.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Nevermind
Last edited by Estado Paulista on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Dutch Union of Americana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dutch Union of Americana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Death Metal wrote:An inanimate carbon rod.

Because Snowden doesn't deserve it, and I can't nominate Mandela.

Also inanimate carbon rods have been used throughout 2013 to protect the world from devastation, the unite all peoples within our nation, and to extend our reach to the stars above. Quite literally with extremely long carbon rods. Also because when you do the safety dance, you need a maypole, and a maypole is one of the many jobs that are filled by the inanimate carbon rod. Inanimate carbon rods also have been proven to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of lung cancer. Inanimate carbon rods do not believe Carthage must be destroyed, but rather renovated and given a shopping mall with an IMAX theatre and PF Chang's. And you know Inanimate Carbon Rods are all kind and intelligent people, because they hate the Tampa Bay Rowdies and New York Jets.

>:( Im from Tampa.
Fortitudenem- Sibling
Torroca- Younger Brother
Lonbonia- Heart-Of-Gold-Hobo
Hladgos- Crazy Grandpa
Morlodania-Cool Cousin
Kylistan- Bro

AurentineAnarchistCollectiveParty

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Dutch Union of Americana wrote:
Death Metal wrote:An inanimate carbon rod.

Because Snowden doesn't deserve it, and I can't nominate Mandela.

Also inanimate carbon rods have been used throughout 2013 to protect the world from devastation, the unite all peoples within our nation, and to extend our reach to the stars above. Quite literally with extremely long carbon rods. Also because when you do the safety dance, you need a maypole, and a maypole is one of the many jobs that are filled by the inanimate carbon rod. Inanimate carbon rods also have been proven to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of lung cancer. Inanimate carbon rods do not believe Carthage must be destroyed, but rather renovated and given a shopping mall with an IMAX theatre and PF Chang's. And you know Inanimate Carbon Rods are all kind and intelligent people, because they hate the Tampa Bay Rowdies and New York Jets.

>:( Im from Tampa.

You know what Tampa sounds like? Tampon. No city that sounds like Tampon can ever be good news.

Dutch Union of Americana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Dutch Union of Americana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Dutch Union of Americana wrote: >:( Im from Tampa.

You know what Tampa sounds like? Tampon. No city that sounds like Tampon can ever be good news.

You know what Los Angelas sounds like? Lost Angels. That sounds like a nickname for children kidnapped by pedophiles.
Fortitudenem- Sibling
Torroca- Younger Brother
Hladgos- Crazy Grandpa
Morlodania-Cool Cousin
Kylistan- Bro

Neuhausen
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neuhausen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Hollande for trying to keep peace in Africa.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Thafoo wrote:You know what Tampa sounds like? Tampon. No city that sounds like Tampon can ever be good news.

You know what Los Angelas sounds like? Lost Angels. That sounds like a nickname for children kidnapped by pedophiles.

Lucky for me, I don't live in Los Angeles.
Last edited by Thafoo on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 pm

I nominate Human Rights Activists in Russia.

Activists in Russia of various smaller groups, particularly related to the causes of free speech, women's rights, and LGBT rights, have recently surged in their activity in response to several violations of rights at the hands of the current Russian government. Despite sometimes limited resources, these activists have protested in civil disobedience even at the risk of being in prison indefinitely. These activists have already started to yield results as the Russian government has felt the need to free some political prisoners for diplomatic reasons.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Dutch Union of Americana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Dutch Union of Americana » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Dutch Union of Americana wrote:You know what Los Angelas sounds like? Lost Angels. That sounds like a nickname for children kidnapped by pedophiles.

Lucky for me, I don't live in Los Angeles.

Well, I was born in Tampa. Where do YOU live?
Fortitudenem- Sibling
Torroca- Younger Brother
Hladgos- Crazy Grandpa
Morlodania-Cool Cousin
Kylistan- Bro

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Thafoo wrote:Lucky for me, I don't live in Los Angeles.

Well, I was born in Tampa. Where do YOU live?

Kansas City

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Thafoo wrote:You know what Tampa sounds like? Tampon. No city that sounds like Tampon can ever be good news.

Either of you know what a warning being issued sounds like? It isn't melodious. Knock it off.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

New Aerios
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Neuhausen wrote:Hollande for trying to keep peace in Africa.

And trying to persuade everyone to get involved in a massive fucking war over in Syria...

No thanks.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:I nominate Human Rights Activists in Russia.

Activists in Russia of various smaller groups, particularly related to the causes of free speech, women's rights, and LGBT rights, have recently surged in their activity in response to several violations of rights at the hands of the current Russian government. Despite sometimes limited resources, these activists have protested in civil disobedience even at the risk of being in prison indefinitely. These activists have already started to yield results as the Russian government has felt the need to free some political prisoners for diplomatic reasons.

I endorse this.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Neuhausen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neuhausen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:48 pm

New Aerios wrote:

And trying to persuade everyone to get involved in a massive fucking war over in Syria...

No thanks.

It is just my opinion.

Beta Test
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Neuhausen wrote:
New Aerios wrote:

No thanks.

It is just my opinion.

Then you should back my nomination of the Red Cross, as they have helped people in both North Africa and Syria.
Member of the Coalition of Workers and Farmers
Michael Ferreira: President of the Senate
Philip Awad: Former Secretary of Rural Development

Neuhausen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neuhausen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Beta Test wrote:
Neuhausen wrote:
It is just my opinion.

Then you should back my nomination of the Red Cross, as they have helped people in both North Africa and Syria.

I like what Red Cross is doing worldwide but I think that this year Hollande deserves it more.

Beta Test
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Neuhausen wrote:
Beta Test wrote:Then you should back my nomination of the Red Cross, as they have helped people in both North Africa and Syria.

I like what Red Cross is doing worldwide but I think that this year Hollande deserves it more.

Okay then, if you want your nomination to be considered you should expand on it, as the OP states.
Member of the Coalition of Workers and Farmers
Michael Ferreira: President of the Senate
Philip Awad: Former Secretary of Rural Development

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

You're going to have to elaborate if you want this nomination to be accepted.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Neuhausen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neuhausen » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Beta Test wrote:
Neuhausen wrote:

Okay then, if you want your nomination to be considered you should expand on it, as the OP states.

I think I'm going to do that am morning. It's kinda late right now.

But I think your pick is good. I've always supported what Red Cross is doing. Helping those who can't help themselves.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Beta Test wrote:International Committee of the Red Cross-This organisation has worked tirelessly, along with others, to assist the civilians of Syria, who have for the last 2 and a half years been caught in the crossfire of a brutal sectarian conflict. While politicians bicker over how to respond, the ICRC is on the ground providing food, water, medical supplies and shelter to thousands, if not millions of Syrian civilians. This organisation has arguably done more to help the innocent people of Syria more than any other. They have also done the same for places such as Central African Republic and South Sudan. This organisation's work is truly honourable.

I support this.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General