NATION

PASSWORD

Chinese rover Yutu becomes first on moon since 1973

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Deusaeuri
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Chinese rover Yutu becomes first on moon since 1973

Postby Deusaeuri » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:39 pm

That's pretty much it. China has successfully deployed the Yutu rover during the Chang'e 3 mission. It achieved Lunar orbit just over a week ago, and today, on December 14th at 13:12 UTC, the rover successfuly performed a soft landing on the surface of the moon. It is the only rover currently operating on the moon at the moment, since the Soviet-built "Луноход (Lunokhod) 2" ceased operations during May of 1973.

There are a lot of interesting things part of this. Firstly, it's a big step forward for China and shows that it and India are slowly ascending to become a space power alongside groups such as NASA and the ERA. What does NSG say? I personally believe this mission is more of statement from China than a research mission, or atleast hope it was intended as one, because I'm not really sure this mission will yield many results that weren't already discovered by the U.S. and Soviets decades ago. I also think it's only a matter of time before India is able to land a rover on the moon if it hasn't already, considering their orbiter mission to Mars is going well and they've already established orbiters and sent impactors.

Since it will probably fascinate some of you, here's an image taken by Chang'e 3 on it's way down.
Last edited by Deusaeuri on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Ormania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Interesting. I really hope it starts another Space Race so that America can, once again, start exploring the space with a reasonable budget.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:02 pm

I hope this encourages the US government to raise the NASA budget again.
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

East Ormania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:I hope this encourages the US government to raise the NASA budget again.

There is a lot of interesting things out there.
Ever heard of the WOW signal?
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:I hope this encourages the US government to raise the NASA budget again.

This 1000 times over.
Forever a Communist

Klishi Mainland
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Klishi Mainland » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:08 pm

I am usually a libertarian and for little government spending, but I'm a sucker for science. Raise the NASA budget!

Need a Name
Senator

Founded: Oct 22, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Need a Name » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Wow, China is really impressing me.
I'm a Christian and a Patriot
“Right is Right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.”― G.K. Chesterton

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -- George S. Patton Jr.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." -- Jesus Christ

For: Christianity, America, NATO, EU, Israel, Effective Education Reform, The US Military, Social Capital, and Compromise
Against: Radical fundamentalism, Militant Atheism, Current US Congress, Ignorance, and ISIS (obviously).

Amerique Royal
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Amerique Royal » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:11 pm

I am actually glad China did this, hopefully NASA get's it's rightful funding back! :lol:
Lift up your Sword And Shield
Ignatios Anastasios, Chairman of the Sword and Shield Party

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Here come the patriots!! Good for them. Maybe it reignites the want for Americans to feel superior and therefore leads to an increase in funding for the peeps down in NASA
Klishi Mainland wrote:I am usually a libertarian and for little government spending, but I'm a sucker for science. Raise the NASA budget!
Maybe start a rumor that there is oil on the moon. That would be a race.
Last edited by Skeckoa on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:14 pm

East Ormania wrote:

There is a lot of interesting things out there.

They've searched for many years to for the source and it hasn't been repeated. That means it was probably Earthly in origin.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

East Ormania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Skeckoa wrote:Here come the patriots!! Good for them. Maybe it reignites the want for Americans to feel superior and therefore leads to an increase in funding for the peeps down in NASA
Klishi Mainland wrote:I am usually a libertarian and for little government spending, but I'm a sucker for science. Raise the NASA budget!

:rofl:
The most brilliant piece of argument on NSG so far. *sigged*

Oaledonia wrote:
East Ormania wrote:There is a lot of interesting things out there.

They've searched for many years to for the source and it hasn't been repeated. That means it was probably Earthly in origin.

I still have my hopes up. I'm not one to believe in UFOs, and i'm naturally skeptical, but i would be thrilled if any convincet proof was found.
And they hadn't really stopped looking. They just diverted their attention to pontentially earth-like planets.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Skeckoa wrote:Here come the patriots!! Good for them. Maybe it reignites the want for Americans to feel superior and therefore leads to an increase in funding for the peeps down in NASA

Nonsense all we need to do is tell the media that the Moon Nazis are working on WMDs. Boom instant Lunar War. Instant Science.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:29 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Skeckoa wrote:Here come the patriots!! Good for them. Maybe it reignites the want for Americans to feel superior and therefore leads to an increase in funding for the peeps down in NASAMaybe start a rumor that there is oil on the moon. That would be a race.

Nonsense all we need to do is tell the media that the Moon Nazis are working on WMDs. Boom instant Lunar War. Instant Science.

ORION activation...
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Draakonite
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Draakonite » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:51 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Skeckoa wrote:Here come the patriots!! Good for them. Maybe it reignites the want for Americans to feel superior and therefore leads to an increase in funding for the peeps down in NASAMaybe start a rumor that there is oil on the moon. That would be a race.

Lets make both. Tell the US government thats there Oil on the Moon, and the US gov will automatically tell the media that there are Islamist (because it's hip now. Nazis are too retro) with WMDs there.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Blasveck wrote:

This 1000 times over.

me three. and if the tea tightwads in the u.s. won't do it, i'm absolutely for every nation or anyone else with the means and potential to start developing space programs. i know china is in the position of having to play catchup, and there's plenty to not like about some of its other problems back on earth, but the interesting thing about china's space effort, is they're intending to fill in some of the gaps america and russia left behind, starting with longer term development on the moon, with the possibility of perminent settlement. and if the rest of the planet doesn't get off the stick, china just might be the first nation on earth to put a human on mars and bring him/her back safely to earth.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:08 pm

China has released only some crappy animations and "artists impressions" of the lander and rover, and some still photographs of the moon.

I'm not saying they didn't do the mission, or that it failed. Just that China has failed to learn from NASA and the ESA that beautiful pictures are what the public likes.

I guess there will be beautiful pictures eventually. They're probably 'shopping them right now to make them beautifuller.

Yutu by the way means Jade Rabbit, the pet rabbit of the moon goddess. Honestly, that's no sillier than the Greek and other mythological names given by Western astronomers and space exploration agencies. I'm only saying, it would be funnier if it was called MeTu ...
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Terra Sector Union
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Sector Union » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Good for China. NASA better get back into the action because by the end of the decade, we might see a new age in space exploration.
For so long, Mankind has been plagued by division. Division by culture, creed, skin color, religion and nationality. These very divisions have been the cause of most human conflicts. But in the age of globalism, we can finally have that chance to implement a world government where all human beings are seen as equals. Isn't that what everyone wants? World peace? I do. You should support that too. It may not end all conflicts, but the reductions of Man on Man violence will be at an all time low when the entire planet gets administered by one governing body.

Strobe Talbot. wrote:n the next century (now), nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single global authority and realize national sovereignty wasn’t such a great deal after all.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:23 pm

It would be a huge embarrassment for the Chinese if the US got a man to Mars in the medium term of things.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Blasted Craigs
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Blasted Craigs » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:16 pm

America has it's head buried so far in the sands of denial that even if we were one day conquered by a foreign power we would convince ourselves we conquered them and made them pay the cost of running our government.
In other words, China could open a Lunar Starbucks and we would still claim NASA gets too much funding and no other power has a chance of catching up to us in the space race.
Last edited by Blasted Craigs on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The government in America can best be described with an analogy. The two political parties are two cats, the elite is a rat, power is the cheese, and the common people is the floor. The floor feels two cats can guard the cheese better than one. But the cats fight each other, and the rat makes off with the cheese in glee. The floor cannot leave, and soon both cats serve the rat, because the rat has the all powerful cheese, and gives the cats a small bit of it. So the floor gets crapped on by all three, as they eat the cheese together.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Space Race 2.0! I hope NASA gets more funding.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:24 pm

As a Chinese American, I remembered when China sent a man into space, to patriotic cheers in China and fear and trembling in America, and I can't help but think...they managed to accomplished what we have accomplished long ago out in a fit of jealousy and national cock size competition with the Soviets, and they have yet to even land a man on the moon as we have when we finally proved our 'Murican Dick is so much bigger than theirs. Now, they managed to get a rover on the moon, when we already have had a rover on Mars, and I can't help but feel all this cheering for what is, comparably, a minor achievement, and all the panic and cries to start up Nasa is really unjustified.

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Blasveck wrote:

This 1000 times over.

The thing is NASA's annual budget is larger then most of the space agencies around the world, combined. But more funding is always good, surprisingly if irc Obama slashed funding the past few years. Which made me :(

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Congrats to China, looking forward to watching their space program's further progress as time goes on.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Ailiailia wrote:China has released only some crappy animations and "artists impressions" of the lander and rover, and some still photographs of the moon.

I'm not saying they didn't do the mission, or that it failed. Just that China has failed to learn from NASA and the ESA that beautiful pictures are what the public likes.

I guess there will be beautiful pictures eventually. They're probably 'shopping them right now to make them beautifuller.

Yutu by the way means Jade Rabbit, the pet rabbit of the moon goddess. Honestly, that's no sillier than the Greek and other mythological names given by Western astronomers and space exploration agencies. I'm only saying, it would be funnier if it was called MeTu ...

So that explains those old Chinese propaganda children space posters from the 50's and 60's which had rabbits. In the end, it seems they have accomplished the goal they set out for themselves half a century ago.

National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Well, that's certainly a remarkable achievement for China. Not so much in regards to space exploration and scientific discovery but a great achievement for them.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General