NATION

PASSWORD

"Santa Claus should be white"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Esperantujo 2
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Esperantujo 2 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Santa is translated as "Sankta Nikolao" (Saint Nicholas). Although Lycia, where St Nicholas lived, is now in Turkey, and in St Nicholas time, 1700 years ago, was part of the Roman Empire, during the 4th century that empire was already beginning to split into an Eastern empire, speaking Greek and also Aramaic, Coptic, Hebrew and Thracian, and a Western Empire, speaking Latin and also Basque, Celtic and German. St Nicholas was therefore Greek and probably white. It is possible but unlikely that he was black. That would be more likely if he came from one of the Empire's African provinces.
Jesus on the other hand was Jewish, whether or not he was the son of Joseph.

-New Sealand-
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -New Sealand- » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:Is Santa a Manchu or a Mongol?

In the second picture? The outfit looks Yuan, so he's probably Mongol there.
The way of learning is none other than finding the lost mind; he who exerts his mind to the utmost knows his nature. - 孟子
Hometown: Guangzhou, PRC
Current Location: Tokyo, Japan
Beliefs: Confucianism, Taoism
Politics: Pro-China; Anti-Eurocentric

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Freelanderness wrote:I wasn't aware that rape was such a prevalent topic in literature.

That was a counter to the claim that Tolkien "raped" elves by apparently diverging them from their original lore. "Bitching about how almost all forms of fiction rape humans." -> "Moaning about how fiction diverges from reality." In this instance the reality is of another fiction (or mythology, whatever you want to call it), Tolkien created his own world based upon the mythologies he studied, they aren't exact representations and he and all of us know that because they weren't meant to be.

I don't know, I find Middlemarch's character to be pretty believable and 'not deviant', Tolkien, on the other hand, appropiated elves, and turn them into these effeminate ubermenschen.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Esperantujo 2 wrote:Santa is translated as "Sankta Nikolao" (Saint Nicholas). Although Lycia, where St Nicholas lived, is now in Turkey, and in St Nicholas time, 1700 years ago, was part of the Roman Empire, during the 4th century that empire was already beginning to split into an Eastern empire, speaking Greek and also Aramaic, Coptic, Hebrew and Thracian, and a Western Empire, speaking Latin and also Basque, Celtic and German. St Nicholas was therefore Greek and probably white. It is possible but unlikely that he was black. That would be more likely if he came from one of the Empire's African provinces.
Jesus on the other hand was Jewish, whether or not he was the son of Joseph.

Greek =/= white.

Apuleius was considered Greek, but he was from Roman Africa, and was a Berber.
Last edited by Nationes Pii Redivivi on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Freelanderness wrote:All of them were likely based off real people except for the Easter bunny.

You take that back!

damn, that was pretty good.
. ♕ I am your LORD and saviour, for I am Jesus Christina Confess your sins, and ye shall be forgiven. ❤ .
One of Le Sexiest NSers 2013. Call me ¡¥. Now a fascist because rape is bad, mmkay.
Meet the TET Pantheon
"What I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you cry with you or kiss you, I love you." - Evey (V for Vendetta)
Alleniana wrote:
New Manvir wrote:Well, it's obvious the Native Americans didn't really have a history. They were just loafing about, waiting for some white people to show up so the real fun could start.

The party don't start till I walk in
-Tik Tok, by Christopher Columbus

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:42 am

Chinese Regions wrote:
Freelanderness wrote:I wasn't aware that rape was such a prevalent topic in literature.

That was a counter to the claim that Tolkien "raped" elves by apparently diverging them from their original lore. "Bitching about how almost all forms of fiction rape humans." -> "Moaning about how fiction diverges from reality." In this instance the reality is of another fiction (or mythology, whatever you want to call it), Tolkien created his own world based upon the mythologies he studied, they aren't exact representations and he and all of us know that because they weren't meant to be.

I'm being deliberately obtuse because of the original usage of "rape".

Because bad writing = rape?
. ♕ I am your LORD and saviour, for I am Jesus Christina Confess your sins, and ye shall be forgiven. ❤ .
One of Le Sexiest NSers 2013. Call me ¡¥. Now a fascist because rape is bad, mmkay.
Meet the TET Pantheon
"What I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you cry with you or kiss you, I love you." - Evey (V for Vendetta)
Alleniana wrote:
New Manvir wrote:Well, it's obvious the Native Americans didn't really have a history. They were just loafing about, waiting for some white people to show up so the real fun could start.

The party don't start till I walk in
-Tik Tok, by Christopher Columbus

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:16 am

Freelanderness wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:That was a counter to the claim that Tolkien "raped" elves by apparently diverging them from their original lore. "Bitching about how almost all forms of fiction rape humans." -> "Moaning about how fiction diverges from reality." In this instance the reality is of another fiction (or mythology, whatever you want to call it), Tolkien created his own world based upon the mythologies he studied, they aren't exact representations and he and all of us know that because they weren't meant to be.

I'm being deliberately obtuse because of the original usage of "rape".

Because bad writing = rape?

Are you seriously calling Tolkien a bad writer just because his version of elves diverged from from folklore?
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Kalarin
Envoy

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalarin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:42 am

I think santa can change his ethnicity, lets face it. Some fat old white guy isnt gonna last long in detriot. And vice versa so black guy isnt going to last long near Zimmerman. Hence he would have to change his ethnicity based on the situation.
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.90
"There seem to me to be very few facts, at least ascertainable facts, in politics." - Robert Peel
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." - Caesar
"Those who know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories." - Polybius

BRITISH

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Grossdeutsches Kaiserreich wrote:
ALMF wrote:As has been repeatedly shown on this form Nicholas of Myra was to the dark end of middle eastern,

I was under the impression St. Nicholas was from southern Europe, Greece.

If i was wrong, the main point remains i think.

That he was co-opted by Europeans in the Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia. They made the character we know today as Santa, and as he was created, he was a white dude. Still shows the folly of man in arguing over what race Santa is.

Myra is now the desired capital of the PKK (that is Turkish Kurdistan). Also, once you've stolen something, you cant complain if someone eles steals it from you.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Brimstonia wrote:Who cares what colour a bunch of fictional characters are? Lets make em all blue, with a green stripe down the middle. Blue santa, blue jesus, blue easter bunny, blue pocahontas

http://www.heavylittlepeople.tumblr.com

Jesus was real. You can't question the existance of Jesus. You can question His divinity, but not His existance

Wrong
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

The Fraticelli Papacy
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fraticelli Papacy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't know if they realize this, but Santa Claus probably doesn't have a set race, being a Christmas spirit and everything. It is like debating the gender of God.

But on Jesus' race, he was Jewish. If he was black, someone would've said something, and he probably would've been referred to as a Nubian somewhere along the line.
Pro: God's Green Earth, Church, Christianity, Spiritualism, History, Enlightenment Philosophy
Against: Keynesian Economics, Radicalism, Class Warfare, Greek Philosophy, Fascism, Marxism
"Grant me the treasure of sublime poverty: permit the distinctive sign of our order to be that it does not possess anything of its own beneath the sun, for the glory of your name, and that it have no other patrimony than begging."

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:32 pm

The Fraticelli Papacy wrote:I don't know if they realize this, but Santa Claus probably doesn't have a set race, being a Christmas spirit and everything. It is like debating the gender of God.

But on Jesus' race, he was Jewish. If he was black, someone would've said something, and he probably would've been referred to as a Nubian somewhere along the line.

like saying he had skin of bronze and hair of wool?
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

United Prefectures of Appia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:26 pm

It's often that all fictional characters do not necessary have to be defined by specific physical attributes. Take a look at Link throughout all of the LoZ games, he's depicted as having brown hair, others showing him as having blonde hair. Then there was the Marvel comic which depicted Peter Parker as being black. Now if you're talking about a real life person to which Santa was based on, then Nikolaos of Myra which we know as St. Nicholas, definitely was brown-skinned. Infact, the Vatican funded the research to exhume his body and hired CGI computer experts to recreate his head digitally just to see what he really looked like.

Then there's Jesus, like Nikolaos of Myra, he too was brown-skinned. There's a reason why humans in some parts of the world have darker skins, while others have lighter ones. There are reasons why some are big and tall, others are small. Humans like any other living animals on this planet adapt and change to survive on environments they live in. You think Africans are black just because mother nature did it out on a whim?
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

Especially Dirty Hippies
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Especially Dirty Hippies » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:49 am

I just had a white christmas.

In my ex.
In sixteenth-century Europe, the disease of virgins, or green sickness, was seen as a common disorder affecting young unmarried girls. Its symptoms included weakness, dietary disturbance, lack of menstruation and most significantly, a change in skin colour. Understanding of the condition turned puberty and virginity into medical problems, and proposed to cure them by bloodletting, diet, exercise, and marriage. - The Disease of Virgins, a book I saw a promo for while trying to learn how babies are made.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Santa Claus should be white"

Postby Alien Space Bats » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 am

Especially Dirty Hippies wrote:I just had a white christmas.

In my ex.

<whistle>

Abusing the Reader! 5 yard penalty!

<referee signs out the letters T-M-I>
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Santa Claus has always been white in the overwhelming popular imagination so that's what's cannonical...

Saying Santa Claus is not white and could actually be BLACK is just awkward as hell. Next thing you know people will suggest that elves, pixies, and fairies could be black too (they need to be white dude).

This isn't some civil rights movement people... it's art, and white old men/fair-skinned people with attractive child-like features just look the best/most fitting for these types of characters...
Last edited by God Kefka on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 pm

God Kefka wrote:Santa Claus has always been white in the overwhelming popular imagination so that's what's cannonical...

Saying Santa Claus is not white and could actually be BLACK is just awkward as hell. Next thing you know people will suggest that elves, pixies, and fairies could be black too (they need to be white dude).

This isn't some civil rights movement people... it's art, and white old men/fair-skinned people with attractive child-like features just look the best/most fitting for these types of characters...

:palm:

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Aeken wrote:
God Kefka wrote:Santa Claus has always been white in the overwhelming popular imagination so that's what's cannonical...

Aber Kamerad, only Echte Arischen Menschen can have attractive features, was is so difficult to understand? Jah, this is not really racism, but White people are just better at giving presents because were so much better than everybody else.

/sarcasm

Anyway, seen alot of black santas on the interwebs lately, and lots of happy children sitting on their laps, so, basically only institutionalised racists are offended by it.
Last edited by Nervium on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've retired from the forums.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Cannonical, is that even a word.

And, even if it were, what has Santa to do with cannons?

Awkward, of course, for the Racists, because if there is one thing that makes people squemish, it is obviously black people.

These type of characters have to be white because...why again?

And when has Santa ever been "attractive and with child-like features"?

And, what part of art dictates that we must make Santa white, while giving us room to make, say, MacBeth Black or King Lear Japanese?

Or that Paddy Irishman, who looked like this:

Could suddenly look like this:

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Nervium wrote:
Aeken wrote: :palm:

Aber Kamerad, only Echte Arischen Menschen can have attractive features, was is so difficult to understand? Jah, this is not really racism, but White people are just better at giving presents because were so much better than everybody else.

/sarcasm

Anyway, seen alot of black santas on the interwebs lately, and lots of happy children sitting on their laps, so, basically only institutionalised racists are offended by it.

But...but those are only malicious parodies by the darkies, chinks, spics, wops, paddies, poles, jews, rushkies, and other minderwertige Rassen.
Last edited by Nationes Pii Redivivi on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Aeken wrote:

Pixies have always been white. Fairies have always been white.

Therefore... there's no special reason to doubt that Santa isn't white. He has always been...
Art thread

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Nervium wrote:

/sarcasm

But...but those are only malicious parodies by the darkies, chinks, spics, wops, paddies, poles, jews, rushkies, and other minderwertige Rassen.

I'd call it cultural misappropriation. Trying to take a European legend, a European cultural and fictional treasure... and then co-opt it to a different cultural and ethnic context and claim it as ''universal.''

In the process completely ruining Santa Claus' physical appearance by deviating from the canon...
Last edited by God Kefka on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art thread

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:34 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Aeken wrote: :palm:

Therefore... there's no special reason to doubt that Santa isn't white. He has always been...

Chinese have always canonically been protrayed as vicious, murdering, opium-addled rapists looking for summadat white flesh.

They always have been canonically protrayed as such.

There is no special reason to doubt that they are vicious, murdering, opium-addled rapists lusting after the purest white maiden, excepting that little thing called reality.

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm

God Kefka wrote:

Chinese have always canonically been protrayed as vicious, murdering, opium-addled rapists looking for summadat white flesh.

They always have been canonically protrayed as such.

There is no special reason to doubt that they are vicious, murdering, opium-addled rapists lusting after the purest white maiden, excepting that little thing called reality.

I am quite disgusted that you should think so. But what has this got to do with my point?
Art thread

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:39 pm

God Kefka wrote:

I'd call it cultural misappropriation. Trying to take a European legend, a European cultural and fictional treasure... and then co-opt it to a different cultural and ethnic context and claim it as ''universal.''

In the process completely ruining Santa Claus' physical appearance by deviating from the canon...

Because having a chink, negro, spic, wop, paddy, pole, jew, or any one who isn't part of our great Herrenvolk would sully and taint Santa Claus' physical apperance...how?

And deviated definitely from the canon...why?

And if Canon is how Santa was protrayed 'traditionally', that is, circa 1850, shouldn't we then depict all Irish people like this:

You know, for the sake of canon?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General