NATION

PASSWORD

"Santa Claus should be white"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Laikland
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Bezombia wrote:
New Laikland wrote:
You just denied the existence of over 1.6 billion people.

Do we really need to acknowledge those people? Will it really change anything?

Not at all. We only need the true, white AMERICANS.

Lies and Ignorance wrote:Nah.

Sure.

Mon·gol·oid (mngg-loid, mn-)
adj.
1. Anthropology Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish-brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds, and prominent cheekbones and including peoples indigenous to central and eastern Asia.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Liberated Dixieland wrote:
God Kefka wrote:And yes, Santa Claus should be white just because he has always been and he looks the coolest that way. If you want another character, go write him up and publicize him. Don't ruin santa.

So portraying anyone as black who was not portrayed so before ruins them? So the Avengers movies ruined Nick Fury by portraying him as black? So Bruce Almighty ruined God by portraying him as black?

Yes, to some extent the character of Nick Fury has been ruined simply by arbitrarily changing his race (for what I presume, is an attempt to try and get views from a wider demographic). Nick Fury was always supposed to be a white man (sometimes with slightly gray hair) with an eye patch. I don't appreciate how they just chose to plug in a famous black actor from Star Wars to increase sales... There should be a certain amount of faithfulness to the physical essentials of a character.

God being black may make a bit of sense. I mean, if you take the first humans to be Africans and humans being first made in his image. That being said, Bruce Almighty was an absolutely atrocious film. But I can see how you can argue this is unfaithful to the character...
Last edited by God Kefka on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Lies and Ignorance wrote:"This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information."

Welp.

2edge
much progressive
wow

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Lies and Ignorance wrote:No such thing.

You just denied the existence of over 1.6 billion people.

Although some forensic anthropologists and other scientists continue to use the term in some contexts (such as criminal justice), the term mongoloid is now considered derogatory by most anthropologists due to its association with disputed typological models of racial classification.
Signatures are so 2014.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Liberated Dixieland wrote:So portraying anyone as black who was not portrayed so before ruins them? So the Avengers movies ruined Nick Fury by portraying him as black? So Bruce Almighty ruined God by portraying him as black?

Yes, to some extent the character of Nick Fury has been ruined simply by arbitrarily changing his race (for what I presume, is an attempt to try and get views from a wider demographic). Nick Fury was always supposed to be a white man (sometimes with slightly gray hair) with an eye patch. I don't appreciate how they just chose to plug in a famous black actor from Star Wars to increase sales... There should be a certain amount of faithfulness to the physical essentials of a character.

Bullshit. Fury was black in the Ultimate (1610) universe, of which more concepts were pulled from than the normal -616 universe for the movies.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Although some forensic anthropologists and other scientists continue to use the term in some contexts (such as criminal justice), the term mongoloid is now considered derogatory by most anthropologists due to its association with disputed typological models of racial classification.

Who needs fact when you have political correctness!

Your science ends where my feelings begin.

Liberated Dixieland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Dixieland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

The "Mongloid, Caucasoid, Negroid" terms seem to be generally only used nowadays by racists.

God Kefka wrote:Yes, to some extent the character of Nick Fury has been ruined simply by arbitrarily changing his race (for what I presume, is an attempt to try and get views from a wider demographic). Nick Fury was always supposed to be a white man (sometimes with slightly gray hair) with an eye patch. I don't appreciate how they just chose to plug in a famous black actor from Star Wars to increase sales... There should be a certain amount of faithfulness to the physical essentials of a character.

So other than offending racists who demand that anyone ever shown as white be shown as so forevermore, how did that negatively impact the portrayal of the character in the movie whatsoever?
NOTE: This nation is based on a fun premise, not a plausible attempt at alternate history. Huey Long and other historical or political figures used in the history of this nation often have had their views distorted or exaggerated.
I am an 18 year old white, bisexual, naturalistic pantheist from the US state of Georgia of numerous generations of Southern ancestry. I am a socially liberal, populist, conservationist, pro-science and pro-technology social democrat.

Lies and Ignorance
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lies and Ignorance » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Utceforp wrote:

What a beautiful summary of your logic when you argue that racial typology is a thing.
✡☭♀

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Olivaero wrote:
God Kefka wrote:As for the issue of ''Jesus should be white'' I completely support it alongside much of the religious fundementalist base but for completely opposite reasons.

I think this should hasten the downfall of Christianity as a relevant force in the modern age...

There is nothing more obvious than Jesus' physical appearance as an exclusively white man to underline a fundamental truth about the history and nature of the religion he stands for. It has always been a white man's religion; it has always been a religion of imperialism and eurocentrism.

If it weren't for European colonialism and imperialism, Christianity would never have lasted so long.

A white Jesus Christ should continue to remind at least a whole bunch of people of this.

My god... your right! simply pointing out that some depictions of Jesus are wrong will bring down all of Christianity... why has no one thought of this before?! I'm suddenly an Atheist as well! well done kefka you should spread this message around the world. Also point out it's illogical to believe in a god in the first place Christians wont possibly be able to maintain belief then!

That's EXACTLY what I want to hear... that's EXACTLY what I want to hear!
Art thread

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Utceforp wrote:

"Race" isn't scientific.

We've known this for a while now.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:08 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Utceforp wrote:

How is changing terminology to not offend people against science? Besides, lumping all Inuit/Siberian, Asian and Polynesian people under one term is archaic, inaccurate, and unscientific.
Signatures are so 2014.

Orthodox Brotherhood
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orthodox Brotherhood » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:08 pm

New Laikland wrote:
Lies and Ignorance wrote:"This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. Please update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information."

Welp.

2edge
much progressive
wow

I don't see how it could be that out of date, I mean, it says that Mongoloid just means 'resembling Mongols', so unless these people no longer resemble Mongols, Mongoloids must exist.

Greater-London
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Orthodox Brotherhood wrote:
Greater-London wrote:
How did they work that one out?

I can't remember honestly, whether it was based off average skulls of Hebrews from the time or if it was from the shroud of Turin, one of the two.

ha I hope its the Turin shroud other wise its just the face of a standard Hebrew man which is pretty lazy. I do however keep on looking at it and its making me feel a bit uneasy, perhaps it is jesus ...
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Mavorpen wrote:"Race" isn't scientific.

We've known this for a while now.

Then why can I determine the race of a person by looking at their skeleton? Why can I determine it by looking at their genetics? Why can I determine it just by LOOKING AT THEM?

Race does exist. But the once used definition is now gone.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm

I think it matters little what Santa Claus actually looks like. We as a civilised people value the goodwill and charity that Santa represents, not what he looks like. True, we usually depict him as an elderly, generously proportioned man with a great beard, in red robes and hat, but it hardly matters as every gift given and kind word spoken is the work of Santa.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

God Kefka
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Bezombia wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Bullshit. Fury was black in the Ultimate (1610) universe, of which more concepts were pulled from than the normal -616 universe for the movies.

oh wow...

then it appears that Hollywood was not the first to compromise the pure artistic vision of Nick Fury to try and expand sales...

But I should hardly be surprised anyways right. These days, money talks...
Art thread

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Vazdania wrote: :eyebrow: Obviously he's a Capitalist, he hires all those Elves to do work for him.......

Checkmate Communists.

The elves are proleteriat, which is why he only gets to distribute presents once a year.

Checkmate, Capitalists.

Supply and Demand.....He only needs to supply once a year to meet demand.

Checkmate, Communists.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Lies and Ignorance
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lies and Ignorance » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Orthodox Brotherhood wrote:I don't see how it could be that out of date

Yes, you do. You just pretend you don't.

Anyhow, as to the thread, why are people so offended by portraying Santa Claus as black, again? You guys don't raise nearly as many qualms about the pipe and the caribou-driven sleigh.
✡☭♀

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Utceforp wrote:[
How is changing terminology to not offend people against science? Besides, lumping all Inuit/Siberian, Asian and Polynesian people under one term is archaic, inaccurate, and unscientific.

Changing terminology to appease people who think it's offensive is not science at all.

Lumping all of them under the term Mongoloid is correct, because they all resemble eachother and come from the same place. Mongoloid is a race, while sub-races exist under it.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
The elves are proleteriat, which is why he only gets to distribute presents once a year.

Checkmate, Capitalists.

Supply and Demand.....He only needs to supply once a year to meet demand.

Checkmate, Communists.

You already said that.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

New Laikland wrote:Then why can I determine the race of a person by looking at their skeleton?

You can't.
New Laikland wrote:Why can I determine it by looking at their genetics?

Again, you can't.
New Laikland wrote:Why can I determine it just by LOOKING AT THEM?

...What?
New Laikland wrote:Race does exist. But the once used definition is now gone.

No it doesn't.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Liberated Dixieland wrote:So portraying anyone as black who was not portrayed so before ruins them? So the Avengers movies ruined Nick Fury by portraying him as black? So Bruce Almighty ruined God by portraying him as black?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:11 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

oh wow...

then it appears that Hollywood was not the first to compromise the pure artistic vision of Nick Fury to try and expand sales...

But I should hardly be surprised anyways right. These days, money talks...

Because clearly the only reason anyone would introduce a black character is to make more money.

New Laikland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Laikland » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Mavorpen wrote:-snip=

Sources, please?

Greater-London
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Orthodox Brotherhood wrote:
I don't see how it could be that out of date, I mean, it says that Mongoloid just means 'resembling Mongols', so unless these people no longer resemble Mongols, Mongoloids must exist.

It's just a term not used anymore. Like spastic or retard probably because its been used offensively - Mongloid being a offensive term for people who have down syndrome.
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General