NATION

PASSWORD

"Santa Claus should be white"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:40 am

ALMF wrote:
Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
What is wite? If you mean WHITE then yes even that photo looks white (tho tanned). Not that it means anything, everyone knows most forensic reconstructions are BS anyway. I remember when the CIA tried to 'reconstruct' Bin Laden to account for age and it wound up seriously pissing off some Spanish politician who looked identical. Then when they actually got him, he didn't look anything like that in any case.

And there is no difference. They are both objecting to Santa being a certain color because they are threatened by people who look different. Not exactly a helpful conversation in terms of healthy racial relations.

1) If we ignore FR we are left with regional characteristics (still deasnt in the 3rd century). For a 3rd century myra we lie between modern turkmens and namibians. That is between Image
and Image

2) Governor George Wallace didn't like any people who didn't look like him at University of Alabama. Conversely Thurgood Marshall didn't like that nobody like him was at Sumner Elementary. Wallace was a raciest Marshall was not. Similarly, Aisha Harris was concerned by an overwhelmingly white image; whereas, Megyn Kelly objected to a mix of representations.

Can you explain to me why Namibians are somehow native to Anatolia, which is 1000s km away from their traditional homeland?
Also you keep going on about Turkomen but fail to realize that there was no major migration from Central Asia for several more centuries.

Look at Anatolian Turks today. Look at Greeks. Look at Armenians. They are overwhelmingly lightskinned.
I've known many people from all three ethnic groups, even my grandmother is Greek!
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Lianhua (Ancient)
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lianhua (Ancient) » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am

OP almost a week ago..

1: Do you think that we should start to see black representations of Santa in popular culture?
    2: Is wanting black representations of Santa in popular culture "racist", or just lobbying?
    3: Is the "war on christmas" a legitimate political standpoint?
    4: Generally, what are your views on black vs. white representations of popular culture figures in modern culture?

5 days into the thread..

Can you explain to me why Namibians are somehow native to Anatolia, which is 1000s km away from their traditional homeland?
    Also you keep going on about Turkomen but fail to realize that there was no major migration from Central Asia for several more centuries.

Oh, NSG. Never ever change please. :lol:
21 y.o. Sine-Japanese female from Tokyo, Japan; Song Xingyiquan/Dai Xinyiquan/Xinyi Liuhe Quan. Sister+Lover of Kapao Pango & Nabeshima. <3.

Careful, jack. My patience has limits, unlike my Kung Fuuuuuuuu.. (^~^) - Lian Sifu

Resistance is futile if less than one ohm.
Remember this, and you shall go far.
Taoist-Buddhist; apparently retainer and daughter of Divair and Stern des Meeres, and sister to Aeken.

I love you, -New Sealand-! Why so pretty, Chinese lady? <3 RenaxJiao!
Quotes about me go here, because I still want a sig, tyvm. Also, Esternial
ヽ(^Д^)ノ Bee doo bee doo bee doo! ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Santa Claus should be white"

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
United British Union wrote:Dear God! Why does it matter?

Santa can only canonically be white, so when Black Fathers play Santa, they must always keep in mind they are playing a white man, and so, they must put on White-Face and do the whole White Minstrel Act.

NPR (nice acronym, BTW) is being facetious, but only just.

The real issue here is the "ownership" of Santa Claus, in the sense of whether he is merely a white cultural icon who may not be appropriated by minorities for any purpose, or whether he is universal.

God Kefka is adamant on this point: Santa Claus belongs to white people. Minorities living in places like America can "enjoy" Santa, but only to the extent that they don't think of him as "theirs". Black fathers and uncles should not dress up as Santa Claus (dressing as one of Santa's worker elves would be more appropriate, should they wish to partake of the fable), or — if they do — they should always remember (and presumably remind their children) that they are not the "real" Santa Claus, but rather a cheap imitation, because the "real" Santa is white. It's all a part of the "othering" of minorities, whereby we whites make it clear to minorities that this is OUR country and OUR culture, not theirs; they can enjoy it only as outsiders who have been invited to partake of it, not as natives, but as cultural visitors. If these foreign "others" want holiday traditions of their own, they should invent them (eg., Kwanzaa); but whatever they may wish, they're not getting their filthy hands on those things that WE own.

Thus, the War of White Christmas: It is OURS, and it must always BE ours. To accept multicultural dilution is unacceptable, and must be fought using any and all means necessary.

Multiculturalists like me understand that this sort of ethnic homesteading of a prominent holiday is harmful; we are much more open to the notion that different ethnic groups might appropriate Christmas and its symbols for their own use, and are not threatened by this. Thus, we see nothing wrong with Mexican depictions of Santa in a sombrero, accompanied by a magical burro; we have no problem seeing people make and break piñatas full of candy for the little ones, or set up luminarias to light the way for the Christ Child. To us, these are simply the way another culture (and the immigrant subculture that is related to it) celebrate the holidays, and they are as valid and as wonderful as the ways we are used to seeing Christmas celebrated.

And if black fathers and uncles dress up as Santa, what's the harm in that? Black children are entitled to hang out stockings, leave milk and cookies out on the table, and wait for Santa to place presents under the tree for them. And if that Santa ends up being their father — who is also black — then that's no cultural violation; rather, it's the spirit of the season, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Unless, of course, you're the kind of Grinch who thinks that black kids don't deserve a wonderful Christmas, the way white kids do.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:Santa can only canonically be white, so when Black Fathers play Santa, they must always keep in mind they are playing a white man, and so, they must put on White-Face and do the whole White Minstrel Act.

NPR (nice acronym, BTW) is being facetious, but only just.

The real issue here is the "ownership" of Santa Claus, in the sense of whether he is merely a white cultural icon who may not be appropriated by minorities for any purpose, or whether he is universal.

God Kefka is adamant on this point: Santa Claus belongs to white people. Minorities living in places like America can "enjoy" Santa, but only to the extent that they don't think of him as "theirs". Black fathers and uncles should not dress up as Santa Claus (dressing as one of Santa's worker elves would be more appropriate, should they wish to partake of the fable), or — if they do — they should always remember (and presumably remind their children) that they are not the "real" Santa Claus, but rather a cheap imitation, because the "real" Santa is white. It's all a part of the "othering" of minorities, whereby we whites make it clear to minorities that this is OUR country and OUR culture, not theirs; they can enjoy it only as outsiders who have been invited to partake of it, not as natives, but as cultural visitors. If these foreign "others" want holiday traditions of their own, they should invent them (eg., Kwanzaa); but whatever they may wish, they're not getting their filthy hands on those things that WE own.

Thus, the War of White Christmas: It is OURS, and it must always BE ours. To accept multicultural dilution is unacceptable, and must be fought using any and all means necessary.

Multiculturalists like me understand that this sort of ethnic homesteading of a prominent holiday is harmful; we are much more open to the notion that different ethnic groups might appropriate Christmas and its symbols for their own use, and are not threatened by this. Thus, we see nothing wrong with Mexican depictions of Santa in a sombrero, accompanied by a magical burro; we have no problem seeing people make and break piñatas full of candy for the little ones, or set up luminarias to light the way for the Christ Child. To us, these are simply the way another culture (and the immigrant subculture that is related to it) celebrate the holidays, and they are as valid and as wonderful as the ways we are used to seeing Christmas celebrated.

And if black fathers and uncles dress up as Santa, what's the harm in that? Black children are entitled to hang out stockings, leave milk and cookies out on the table, and wait for Santa to place presents under the tree for them. And if that Santa ends up being their father — who is also black — then that's no cultural violation; rather, it's the spirit of the season, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Unless, of course, you're the kind of Grinch who thinks that black kids don't deserve a wonderful Christmas, the way white kids do.

Here's where I wonder how the light switch doesn't go on. Like, I don't get it. You'd think that at some point where they're freaking out that a fictional character isn't white all the time a light bulb would go off and they'd start to understand the power of representation and have a naked lunch moment of realizing how representation must be effecting those who don't 'own' the culture so to speak.

But nope. The just trudge forward insisting on their dominance without an ounce of awareness as to the very similar reasons why this might be important to other people in the culture.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:57 pm

After RAW, I can so see a Black Santa Claus
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:00 pm

The whole cultural misappropriation argument becomes even funnier when you consider the our (the US) "Santa Claus" is a "misappropriation" from multiple other cultures. Like just about everything else culturally "American" it's nothing but an amalgamation and modification of things pulled from some other culture(s). As such, there is nothing more intrinsically American in culture than modifying it to adapt to the populace.... As such, there is nothing more culturally American than a Santa who can appear as any race.

If you want to see someone attempting to thwart American Culture, look no further than the dude arguing that it should not change.... Look no further than to someone like God Kefka.
Such heroic nonsense!

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Santa Claus should be white"

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Here's where I wonder how the light switch doesn't go on. Like, I don't get it. You'd think that at some point where they're freaking out that a fictional character isn't white all the time a light bulb would go off and they'd start to understand the power of representation and have a naked lunch moment of realizing how representation must be effecting those who don't 'own' the culture so to speak.

But nope. The just trudge forward insisting on their dominance without an ounce of awareness as to the very similar reasons why this might be important to other people in the culture.

You're describing a problem general to the conservative movement overall. It's sort of a "My view and perspective are right, and damn you if you don't just accept my view and my perspective as the only valid ones" blindness that, when you really look at it, is quite shocking. It explains the stupid rape remarks (or decisions to attach abortion bills to motorcycle safety laws ['cause motorcycles and vaginas are both things you ride... oh wait...], or to send abortion bills to legislative committees overseeing animal husbandry ['cause laws pertaining to women are just like regulating livestock... oh, wait...]), the stupid race remarks, the stupid remarks about "makers" and "takers", and all the rest. There's a near-complete inability to actually step outside themselves, look at their own words and actions, and say, "Damn, you know, what I'm saying and doing here really looks BAAAADDDD..."

I'd almost go so far as to say that this is probably the deciding factor in determining who's conservative and who's liberal. If you're capable of stepping outside yourself long enough to think about your larger place in the world, you're probably going to be liberal; in contrast, if you've been taught certain things are right or wrong and you can't examine your won premises at all (or think about what it means to be somebody other than... well, YOU), then you're likely to be conservative.

And so we have the same thing here: One side is screaming: "Santa is WHITE!!! Santa has ALWAYS been WHITE!!! I LOVE Santa!!!! YOU BASTARD, YOU'RE STEALING MY SANTA!!!!"" while the other side is thinking, "What is your problem? Why are you against little black kids enjoying Christmas, too? Why do you feel the need to tell them in this holiest of seasons that they're outsiders who don't belong in the country of their birth? WTF?!?" We're completely talking past each other: We can't understand why they find any possible change in their deepest beliefs so threatening, and they can't understand why we care about the feelings of people to whom they can't even begin to relate.

ALMF wrote:Governor George Wallace didn't like any people who didn't look like him at University of Alabama.

One more proof that we live in degenerate times: I cannot for the life of me even BEGIN to imagine George Corley Wallace, Jr. getting upset about black fathers dressing up as Santa Claus, even at the height of his career as a segregationist demagogue.

That kind of tells you something, doesn't it?

God Kefka wrote:The picture, such as the one above [of Bill Cosby dressed as Santa]... is mostly satire/non-canon. Everyone knows that even where a black man dresses up as a Santa and seeks to play him, he is still paying tribute to and playing a fundamentally white role.

Actually, black children don't.

But you'd spoil Christmas for those children if you could, wouldn't you, Mr. Grinch? I mean, Christmas must be White! Minorities can't have it!

Well, O.K. maybe that's unfair. It's not that you WANT to spoil Christmas for little black children; that would require an element of deliberate hatred you lack. No, it's much more likely (per the discussion above) that you can't relate to little black children who mean nothing to you, and can't understand why the rest of us bother to TRY to relate to them, either.

"Imagine you were black."
"But I'm not."
"But imagine that you were..."
"But I'm not."
"Look, just imagine it."
"Why should I?"
"Because then you'd see things their way."
"Why would I want to do that?"
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:

2) Governor George Wallace didn't like any people who didn't look like him at University of Alabama. Conversely Thurgood Marshall didn't like that nobody like him was at Sumner Elementary. Wallace was a raciest Marshall was not. Similarly, Aisha Harris was concerned by an overwhelmingly white image; whereas, Megyn Kelly objected to a mix of representations.

Look at Anatolian Turks today. Look at Greeks. Look at Armenians. They are overwhelmingly lightskinned.
I've known many people from all three ethnic groups, even my grandmother is Greek![/quote]
you do realize light skinned and white are not treated as the same thing.
for example non of the people you just listed were considered white.
I don't know if I should be happy that past racism has dwindled to the point people don't remember what "white" meant or be ashamed that people still care whether some is white.

but just to remind everyone this guy

is more closely related to this guy (and vice versa)

than either is to this guy.

so its not like skin color means all that much.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Microsol
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Microsol » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Well have you ever seen a black santa?

The Damnatius
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Damnatius » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:50 pm

I'd always assumed Jesus was no different than anyone else of that region, and just as well as Santa in his region of origin. Of course, I always viewed God as black, thanks to Bruce Almighty, this seems friendlier than just another white man in a position of great power.
{{{PRAISE THE CLEANSING FIRE, EMBRACE THE BURNING LIGHT}}}

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Microsol wrote:Well have you ever seen a black santa?

all the time
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:54 pm

The Damnatius wrote:I'd always assumed Jesus was no different than anyone else of that region, and just as well as Santa in his region of origin. Of course, I always viewed God as black, thanks to Bruce Almighty, this seems friendlier than just another white man in a position of great power.

well santa was invented in america, so...

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
The Damnatius wrote:I'd always assumed Jesus was no different than anyone else of that region, and just as well as Santa in his region of origin. Of course, I always viewed God as black, thanks to Bruce Almighty, this seems friendlier than just another white man in a position of great power.

well santa was invented in america, so...

Best Santa ever.
Such heroic nonsense!

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Tekania wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:well santa was invented in america, so...

Best Santa ever.

Who, the random person in the background?
piss

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Sociobiology wrote:(Image)

Varg!? I was not expecting to see him in a Santa thread.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:which lets face it; he was

It's settled, Santa is either a Geisha Girl, a Vampire or a Snowman.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Best Santa ever.

Who, the random person in the background?

should it bother me more or less, that gender of Santa matter less than race to you?
gender equality but not racial equality...

" it doesn't matter if its a dude or a chick as long as Santa's white..." :p
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:which lets face it; he was

It's settled, Santa is either a Geisha Girl, a Vampire or a Snowman.

Santa is Odin, he wanted to expand into the Christian market.
And now hes gone global, a true win for the underdog, I bet more kids have heard of Santa than Jesus.

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm

He lives in the North Pole, most logical conclusion would be that he would be white.* I have no problems with Santa being black or Asian though, and it probably is outside of USA.

*considering he exists.
Last edited by Vamtrl on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Vamtrl wrote:He lives in the North Pole, most logical conclusion would be that he would be white.* I have no problems with Santa being black or Asian, and it probably is outside of USA.

*considering he exists.

How on earth did you make THAT correlation?
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Vamtrl wrote:He lives in the North Pole, most logical conclusion would be that he would be white.* I have no problems with Santa being black or Asian, and it probably is outside of USA.

*considering he exists.

People from the North = White but I guess Native Indian would be more apt.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Vamtrl wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

People from the North = White

[Citation Needed]
Last edited by Bezombia on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:Ok, irrespective of the fact that St. Nicholas was white (which lets face it; he was), I think it's somewhat hypocritical of the author of the slate article to demand we make Santa black so as to represent everyone.

If she really feels so alienated by a white santa then why shouldn't Megyn Kelly feel equally alienated by a black one? The entire article is blatant race bait which Fox, unsurprisingly, gulped up like a hungry hippo.

You might want to actually read the Slate article.

Because the Slate author didn't say we should make Santa black. Like, at all.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Vamtrl wrote:
People from the North = White

[Citation Needed]

Look at the map.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:It's settled, Santa is either a Geisha Girl, a Vampire or a Snowman.

Santa is Odin, he wanted to expand into the Christian market.
And now hes gone global, a true win for the underdog, I bet more kids have heard of Santa than Jesus.

Better marketing target...... it's not hard to sell free gifts to children.
Last edited by Tekania on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General