NATION

PASSWORD

Judge orders Colorado baker to serve gay couples

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Who do you agree with?

The couple
323
51%
The Baker
252
40%
neither
57
9%
 
Total votes : 632

User avatar
Blasveck
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13876
Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 am

Galloism wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
It goes both ways concerning non-discrimination.
At least, it should be.

Otherwise, what are we even doing? Favoring certain groups over others?

Quite. Logic would dictate that I would be forced to do so.

My general ideas regarding nondiscrimination would enforce such a thing on myself. That's one of the places where my personal interest and my notions regarding societal interest crash head-on.


Of course. But that's the trade-off for a fair and free society.

A little bit of anger here, a pissed-off business owner there, and society as a whole will benefit in the long run.

Or at least, the peoples who have historically been discriminated against have.
Forever a Communist

User avatar
Tel
Diplomat
 
Posts: 818
Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:19 am

Ikania wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you open your doors, you open it for everyone; not just the people you like.


The alternative is basically legalizing segregation.

The last thing Colorado needs is segregation, in case you hadn't noticed.

Hard cheese for this bigoted baker. Hopefully Judges won't have to do this in the future.
Last edited by Tel on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Warped Aggression
Envoy
 
Posts: 273
Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Warped Aggression » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 am

I think he has a right to refuse business to who he wants but if he refuses to serve gays then thats just business he is losing and he will probably lose from other people boycotting him as well.
The 18th
I am a center-right moderate social libertarian.
Right: 1.23, Libertarian: 1.51

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 74649
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Galloism » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 am

Blasveck wrote:
Galloism wrote:Quite. Logic would dictate that I would be forced to do so.

My general ideas regarding nondiscrimination would enforce such a thing on myself. That's one of the places where my personal interest and my notions regarding societal interest crash head-on.


Of course. But that's the trade-off for a fair and free society.

A little bit of anger here, a pissed-off business owner there, and society as a whole will benefit in the long run.

Or at least, the peoples who have historically been discriminated against have.

I think what bothers me the most is I would be furthering their actions. Preparing a return for a scummy person doesn't bother me overmuch. It's just a tax return.

Furthering their actions, actually assisting them in doing scummy things: that's what bothers me.

It's why cases like the above are so hard. It wasn't prepping a birthday cake for a person who happens to be homosexual. It's not discrimination based on who they are.

It's refusal to support a particular type of event, namely, a homosexual marriage. That's quite a bit different, and harder.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Senator
 
Posts: 4027
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 am

Orcoa wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Well then I am afraid you aren't going to be able to tolerate yourself, because you are doing exactly what it is you say you hate, being intolerant.

"We learn to fear, but we can be taught to love." - Nelson Mandela

"Peace cannot be maintained by force, it can only be achieved through understanding." - Albert Einstein

"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi

Really? Calling out bigots being bigots is being violent now?

Yeah I'm not taking you seriously now. Why should I allow people who wish to suppress people by laws and cultural ideas because of their skin color, religion, sexuality, gender?

Fuck that noise.


Mass passive but confrontational resistance is what got the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 signed in the first place, or have you never heard of Martin Luther King Jr.? Also the peaceful but confrontational United Democratic Front (UDF) and later even larger Mass Democratic Movement (MDM) used mass boycotts, strikes, stay aways, protests and demonstartions to help the violent Umkhonto we Sizwe (Spear of the Nation) and international pressures to bring an end to Apartheid.

Violent protest movements are nothing without mass peaceful but confrontational protest movements, although violent protest movements do help and speed up the process.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 178022
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:This is a disgusting violation of religious freedom. I don't agree with the baker's views, but every business has the right to refuse service to anyone, even if they're discriminatory.

He probably should have mentioned that during the court case.
He/Him
From damnation, immolation
He descends bringing our salvation
With heart of nuclear thunder
Iron will made of steel

Saoirse don Phalaistín

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Senator
 
Posts: 4027
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:26 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Well then I am afraid you aren't going to be able to tolerate yourself, because you are doing exactly what it is you say you hate, being intolerant.

"We learn to fear, but we can be taught to love." - Nelson Mandela

"Peace cannot be maintained by force, it can only be achieved through understanding." - Albert Einstein

"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi

You're not doing this with a straight face, right?


I am. Who do you respect and consider a role model?
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48099
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You're not doing this with a straight face, right?


I am. Who do you respect and consider a role model?

Yeah, you're having a goof. Have fun with that.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Senator
 
Posts: 4027
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:29 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
I am. Who do you respect and consider a role model?

Yeah, you're having a goof. Have fun with that.


I asked you a question.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Blasveck
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13876
Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 am

Galloism wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
Of course. But that's the trade-off for a fair and free society.

A little bit of anger here, a pissed-off business owner there, and society as a whole will benefit in the long run.

Or at least, the peoples who have historically been discriminated against have.

I think what bothers me the most is I would be furthering their actions. Preparing a return for a scummy person doesn't bother me overmuch. It's just a tax return.

Furthering their actions, actually assisting them in doing scummy things: that's what bothers me.

It's why cases like the above are so hard. It wasn't prepping a birthday cake for a person who happens to be homosexual. It's not discrimination based on who they are.

It's refusal to support a particular type of event, namely, a homosexual marriage. That's quite a bit different, and harder.


I suppose, in return, the baker will be protected from discrimination if a certain person/business decided to refuse them services on the same grounds.

We make do with what we have. Either we protect everybody, or leave everybody's fate to the whims of others.

If that makes any sense.
Forever a Communist

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 74649
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Galloism » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:37 am

Blasveck wrote:
Galloism wrote:I think what bothers me the most is I would be furthering their actions. Preparing a return for a scummy person doesn't bother me overmuch. It's just a tax return.

Furthering their actions, actually assisting them in doing scummy things: that's what bothers me.

It's why cases like the above are so hard. It wasn't prepping a birthday cake for a person who happens to be homosexual. It's not discrimination based on who they are.

It's refusal to support a particular type of event, namely, a homosexual marriage. That's quite a bit different, and harder.


I suppose, in return, the baker will be protected from discrimination if a certain person/business decided to refuse them services on the same grounds.

We make do with what we have. Either we protect everybody, or leave everybody's fate to the whims of others.

If that makes any sense.

Do you understand the distinction I'm making between being required to serve a person regardless of who they are, vs being required to serve in such a way that furthers or assists actions which the owner finds repulsive?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Estado Paulista
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5644
Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 am

I see nothing wrong with it.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

User avatar
Tel
Diplomat
 
Posts: 818
Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:41 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You're not doing this with a straight face, right?


I am.


:rofl:

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 114399
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:41 am

Galloism wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
I suppose, in return, the baker will be protected from discrimination if a certain person/business decided to refuse them services on the same grounds.

We make do with what we have. Either we protect everybody, or leave everybody's fate to the whims of others.

If that makes any sense.

Do you understand the distinction I'm making between being required to serve a person regardless of who they are, vs being required to serve in such a way that furthers or assists actions which the owner finds repulsive?

I understand the distinction but what would you, Gallo? Writing anti-discrimination laws to read, "Unless, of course, the thought of providing service to one of these classes of people makes you nauseous, in which case file a From 23947/45C for an exemption"?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Senator
 
Posts: 4027
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 am

Tel wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
I am.


:rofl:


So, who do you respect and admire?
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Tel wrote:
:rofl:


So, who do you respect and admire?


Jelle Brandt Corstius.

User avatar
Tel
Diplomat
 
Posts: 818
Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Tel wrote:
:rofl:


So, who do you respect and admire?


My favorites:

Alan Turing, Abraham Lincoln and F.D.R.

I was more finding your logic amusing from earlier, not your role models. Forgive me if I implied that.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 74649
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Galloism » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:46 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Do you understand the distinction I'm making between being required to serve a person regardless of who they are, vs being required to serve in such a way that furthers or assists actions which the owner finds repulsive?

I understand the distinction but what would you, Gallo? Writing anti-discrimination laws to read, "Unless, of course, the thought of providing service to one of these classes of people makes you nauseous, in which case file a From 23947/45C for an exemption"?

I'm not sure really. It's a tough situation.

I mean, the thing that always comes to mind is the pacifist boot manufacturer who makes really excellent boots.

Should he be required to sell to the military? What about to someone who part of a rogue militia group with a history of violence? Can a pacifist sell products to people he or she knows will commit violence using them?

No, he'd have to close, even though he's an honorable man. I don't care for that result.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer is. It's just not as simple and clear cut as nationstates would make it out to be.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Blasveck
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13876
Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:46 am

Galloism wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
I suppose, in return, the baker will be protected from discrimination if a certain person/business decided to refuse them services on the same grounds.

We make do with what we have. Either we protect everybody, or leave everybody's fate to the whims of others.

If that makes any sense.

Do you understand the distinction I'm making between being required to serve a person regardless of who they are, vs being required to serve in such a way that furthers or assists actions which the owner finds repulsive?


I do.

As I said, the baker also receives protections from being denied service based on a cause or event that somebody else finds repulsive and doesn't want to further.

Would you rather have it another way? I'm not trying to sound accusatory either. I'm just curious.
Forever a Communist

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Senator
 
Posts: 4027
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:47 am

Herrebrugh wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
So, who do you respect and admire?


Jelle Brandt Corstius.


Ok cool, and have his books taught you anything about the world and society that you use in your day to day life?
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Herrebrugh
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15216
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Herrebrugh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:49 am

New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Herrebrugh wrote:
Jelle Brandt Corstius.


Ok cool, and have his books taught you anything about the world and society that you use in your day to day life?


I didn't read any of his books, though, I liked "Van Moskou tot Magadan".

User avatar
Gramonia
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 9
Founded: Sep 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gramonia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am

I am all for homosexual rights, but I personally think that the baker should be allowed to serve who he wants, he is just losing money. The government should not interfere with people's businesses. Is the baker a jerk for banning gays? Yes he is. Can we take control of his freedoms and mind and tell him to think otherwise? No we can't, so the homosexuals should find another business that will accept them. There is no difference between heteros and homos, but the baker thinks otherwise, and he has a right to do so.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 114399
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I understand the distinction but what would you, Gallo? Writing anti-discrimination laws to read, "Unless, of course, the thought of providing service to one of these classes of people makes you nauseous, in which case file a From 23947/45C for an exemption"?

I'm not sure really. It's a tough situation.

I mean, the thing that always comes to mind is the pacifist boot manufacturer who makes really excellent boots.

Should he be required to sell to the military? What about to someone who part of a rogue militia group with a history of violence? Can a pacifist sell products to people he or she knows will commit violence using them?

No, he'd have to close, even though he's an honorable man. I don't care for that result.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer is. It's just not as simple and clear cut as nationstates would make it out to be.

The bootmaker is not required to sell anything to the government. Government contracts are (generally) bid for, all he would have to do is not put in a bid. The pacifist other person, if he or she knows the rogue militia group is going to commit violent acts, should report them to the government. And refuse to sell to them, basing the refusal on the knowledge that they will commit violent acts using his or her products. That's not discrimination, that's being a good citizen. The baker in this case seemed to feel that his or her religious beliefs grant an exemption from anti-discrimination laws. They do not.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 114399
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:51 am

Gramonia wrote:I am all for homosexual rights, but I personally think that the baker should be allowed to serve who he wants, he is just losing money. The government should not interfere with people's businesses. Is the baker a jerk for banning gays? Yes he is. Can we take control of his freedoms and mind and tell him to think otherwise? No we can't, so the homosexuals should find another business that will accept them. There is no difference between heteros and homos, but the baker thinks otherwise, and he has a right to do so.

He has the right to think that. When he opens his business each morning "to the public" he is required by law to serve all the public, not just the ones he approves of.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 114399
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 am

Herrebrugh wrote:
New Socialist South Africa wrote:
Ok cool, and have his books taught you anything about the world and society that you use in your day to day life?


I didn't read any of his books, though, I liked "Van Moskou tot Magadan".

That's nice. Not on topic, but that's nice.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Emdilur, Google [Bot], Kurgao, Kuromistan, Myrensis, New haven america, Noristoniaka, Statesburg, Storn, TheHouseOfSilly, Umeria

Advertisement

Remove ads