NATION

PASSWORD

Does the (Christian) God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In your opinion, do you think God exists?

Yes!
39%
No!
38%
Probably...
7%
Probably Not...
17%

Total votes : 1246

Caecuser
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:47 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:
That would be a start, yes.
As it is, there is nothing but scripture?

You cannot prove God by science you can only believe. If God sought to prove that He existed then he would come down in magnificence and show Himself to everyone but he does not. He asks us to believe and if you believe you shall be rewarded if you do not well good luck to you but hey Pope Francis says that even Atheists so long as their good can go to Heaven

He doesn't prove himself because he can't prove himself because he doesn't exist. It would be remarkably easy for him to prove himself if he actually existed.

With Teeth
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:47 am

Luveria wrote:
Menassa wrote:There's the Hebrew Scripture i.e. the Written Law and the Talmud i.e. the Oral Law.

That's the only point we're focusing on is God's gender... that one little segment on that whole page.

My point is, that isn't verifiable.

Let's not be positivists here.
My blog
I'm an atheist. When I defend theological arguments for fun, don't make cliche New Atheist remarks about theistic biases or trying to cover up gaps to save my "belief". You'll just look stupid.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:47 am

With Teeth wrote:
Menassa wrote:Because implications aren't the same as actual discussion?

You don't want to talk about whether or not Yahweh is necessary for the existence of the universe because this isn't a thread about Yahweh. Fine then, ok. What I'm saying is that we can talk about it anyway because whether or not god is necessary for the existence of the universe relates obviously to the title of the thread and would be of interest to anyone who wants to know about the existence of the Christian god, or any god at all.

You are of course fully aware that the Jewish God and Christian God's are very different.... right?

Which is primarily the reason I've not said much in this thread.
Last edited by Menassa on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:
That would be a start, yes.
As it is, there is nothing but scripture?

You cannot prove God by science you can only believe. If God sought to prove that He existed then he would come down in magnificence and show Himself to everyone but he does not. He asks us to believe and if you believe you shall be rewarded if you do not well good luck to you but hey Pope Francis says that even Atheists so long as their good can go to Heaven

If you can't prove the existence of something then why should I believe it exists?
Last edited by Luveria on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am

Menassa wrote:
With Teeth wrote:
You don't want to talk about whether or not Yahweh is necessary for the existence of the universe because this isn't a thread about Yahweh. Fine then, ok. What I'm saying is that we can talk about it anyway because whether or not god is necessary for the existence of the universe relates obviously to the title of the thread and would be of interest to anyone who wants to know about the existence of the Christian god, or any god at all.

You are of course fully aware that the Jewish God and Christian God's are very different.... right?

Nothing in my post required the statement that the Christian and Jewish god are the same beings. All I stated was that a discussion on whether or not god is necessary for the existence of the universe is pertinent to the thread, so dismissing it because it came out of a conversation about Yahweh isn't a good enough reason.
My blog
I'm an atheist. When I defend theological arguments for fun, don't make cliche New Atheist remarks about theistic biases or trying to cover up gaps to save my "belief". You'll just look stupid.

21 Tribes
Attaché

Founded: Dec 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby 21 Tribes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:49 am

Luveria wrote:
21 Tribes wrote:

If you can't prove the existence of something then why should I believe it exists?

That's why it is called FAITH.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:50 am

With Teeth wrote:
Menassa wrote:You are of course fully aware that the Jewish God and Christian God's are very different.... right?

Nothing in my post required the statement that the Christian and Jewish god are the same beings. All I stated was that a discussion on whether or not god is necessary for the existence of the universe is pertinent to the thread, so dismissing it because it came out of a conversation about Yahweh isn't a good enough reason.

I believe it is, because it quickly branches into the universe's purpose, which is again entirely two different schools of thought based on almost two different God's

The discussion of the universe's creation does not begin or end with the creation of the universe.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:50 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

No. Give me one reason I should believe in the existence of something there is no evidence for?

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:52 am

Menassa wrote:
With Teeth wrote:

I believe it is, because it quickly branches into the universe's purpose, which is again entirely two different schools of thought based on almost two different God's

The discussion of the universe's creation does not begin or end with the creation of the universe.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with the universe's purpose. It has to do with cause, which is distinct from purpose.
My blog

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:52 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

You and I both know that faith isn't enough.

I mean, having faith in anything without sufficient evidence is silly. Its like having faith that dragons exist.
Forever a Communist

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

With Teeth wrote:
Menassa wrote:I believe it is, because it quickly branches into the universe's purpose, which is again entirely two different schools of thought based on almost two different God's

No, it doesn't have anything to do with the universe's purpose. It has to do with cause, which is distinct from purpose.

And directly leads into purpose, the reason for the cause i.e. the purpose.

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

Coming up with a word for your irrationality doesn't make it any better.
My blog

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

I thought Catholics didn't believe in Sola Fide?

21 Tribes
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby 21 Tribes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

Luveria wrote:
21 Tribes wrote:

No. Give me one reason I should believe in the existence of something there is no evidence for?

If you choose not to believe then fine that is your right as a human being. But don't call us idiots because we exercise that same right to believe in God as I see fit.

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:54 am

Menassa wrote:
With Teeth wrote:

And directly leads into purpose, the reason for the cause i.e. the purpose.

I'm not going to talk about the purpose; I don't care about the purpose. I'd just like to see one argument that god is necessary for the existence of the universe.
My blog

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:54 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

If you choose not to believe then fine that is your right as a human being. But don't call us idiots because we exercise that same right to believe in God as I see fit.

So do you have any evidence at all that God exists?

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am

With Teeth wrote:
Menassa wrote:And directly leads into purpose, the reason for the cause i.e. the purpose.

I'm not going to talk about the purpose; I don't care about the purpose. I'd just like to see one argument that god is necessary for the existence of the universe.

Well then perhaps you shouldn't be on this forum, and out in the real world doing some research of your own, discussing it with a variety of people.

If you're really looking for that answer.

Caecuser
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecuser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

I'd call someone who believes in a magical invisible elephant as though it actually existed an idiot, isn't it a double standard to not do the same to those believing in God?

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am

Menassa wrote:
With Teeth wrote:

Well then perhaps you shouldn't be on this forum, and out in the real world doing some research of your own, discussing it with a variety of people.

I can both at once.

Now, do you have an actual argument?
My blog

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am

Menassa wrote:
With Teeth wrote:

With Teeth DOES do his own research. He has an entire blog about this subject.

You however, are doing a rather poor job of dodging the question.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

Believing in him doesn't make him real.
Forever a Communist

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:58 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Menassa wrote:Well then perhaps you shouldn't be on this forum, and out in the real world doing some research of your own, discussing it with a variety of people.

[...]

You however, are doing a rather poor job of dodging the question.

How is this not abundantly clear?

With Teeth wrote:
Menassa wrote:Well then perhaps you shouldn't be on this forum, and out in the real world doing some research of your own, discussing it with a variety of people.

I can both at once.

Now, do you have an actual argument?

Not for this thread.

21 Tribes
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby 21 Tribes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:59 am

Luveria wrote:
21 Tribes wrote:

I have my faith and for me that is all I need.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:59 am

Menassa wrote:Not for this thread.

So you're just keeping it a secret or something?
My blog

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 am

21 Tribes wrote:
Luveria wrote:

I have my faith and for me that is all I need.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Allah is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General