NATION

PASSWORD

Does the (Christian) God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In your opinion, do you think God exists?

Yes!
39%
No!
38%
Probably...
7%
Probably Not...
17%

Total votes : 1246

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:00 am

Sakash wrote:for example why does quantum mechanic wave function collapse on conscious observation? why does photon turn in to particle from wave when someone is observing and remains wave if no one observes?

He is trying to explain the role of consciousness in physics which is a new concept and will take time to mature. but it is in right direction. to answer your question in the first place, biological explanation you have show is worthless as it predicts nothing. you wont be able to know why and with whom you will fall in love with those chemicals.

Physics can't explain this? Since when? There are several interpretations of quantum mechanics, and most of them already address this question. One states that they never collapse in the first place while others say that wave functions just don't accurately describe quantum systems enough.

Also, people have already called bullshit on your source's claims.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:02 am

Luveria wrote:
Sakash wrote:
Have you read the book called biocentrism by Lanza. I have.
What the article says is that there is mixed response because scientists want to be spoon feeding about everything. It is a concept which gives new direction to science and explains many things which physics cant. for example why does quantum mechanic wave function collapse on conscious observation? why does photon turn in to particle from wave when someone is observing and remains wave if no one observes?

He is trying to explain the role of consciousness in physics which is a new concept and will take time to mature. but it is in right direction. to answer your question in the first place, biological explanation you have show is worthless as it predicts nothing. you wont be able to know why and with whom you will fall in love with those chemicals.

Yo, Grave_n_idle, can you help me out with this biocentric nonsense?

People have already done it for us.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Luveria wrote:
Yo, Grave_n_idle, can you help me out with this biocentric nonsense?

People have already done it for us.

I have a feeling Sakash is going to ignore it.

With Teeth
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am

Oh Bohr....don't tell me someone is bringing up wavefunction collapse as an argument.
My blog
I'm an atheist. When I defend theological arguments for fun, don't make cliche New Atheist remarks about theistic biases or trying to cover up gaps to save my "belief". You'll just look stupid.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:18 am

With Teeth wrote:Oh Bohr....don't tell me someone is bringing up wavefunction collapse as an argument.

Somewhere, Neils Bohr walks among us, unobserved and immortal.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:19 am

Trotskylvania wrote:
With Teeth wrote:Oh Bohr....don't tell me someone is bringing up wavefunction collapse as an argument.

Somewhere, Neils Bohr walks among us, unobserved and immortal.

A comic about interpreting quantum mechanics? That's now my favorite comic.
My blog
I'm an atheist. When I defend theological arguments for fun, don't make cliche New Atheist remarks about theistic biases or trying to cover up gaps to save my "belief". You'll just look stupid.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:21 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:Any being that murders children to punish their parents is unjust and unworthy of worship.
The dirt under your feet is more worthy of worship than the being described in any of the bibles.

He murders the children because if he didn't, they would starve to death, a horrible death. The children might have been saved from hell and the curse of their parents. The Old Testament verses of violence don't prove God is evil, but that he is merciful.

:rofl:
ITT: Killing children is a good thing.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am

Caecuser wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:
I don't believe the Earth is flat, but I never know if NASA and other space organisations are all lying...

You don't need NASA to tell you that the world isn't flat.

Indeed. Just ask anyone that's been to sea.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:
He murders the children because if he didn't, they would starve to death, a horrible death. The children might have been saved from hell and the curse of their parents. The Old Testament verses of violence don't prove God is evil, but that he is merciful.

:rofl:
ITT: Killing children is a good thing.

Only on NSG.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am

I suggest you don't read the source he provided. I mean, the guy tried to use color as an example of how consciousness creates the universe, apparently unaware of how light works in the first place. It was downright painful reading that crap.

Then again, the guy isn't a physicist, so it doesn't surprise me.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:24 am

Polgrusan wrote:
East Ormania wrote:I believe in one, and i hope i am right.

I have no doubts about God being real.

You should.
Married to Koshka

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:25 am

With Teeth wrote:

A comic about interpreting quantum mechanics? That's now my favorite comic.

Also, dat ass.

21 Tribes
Attaché

Founded: Dec 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby 21 Tribes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:25 am

The so called Christian God is not just the God of Christians. He is the God of Abraham meaning not only is he the God of Christians like myself but He is YHWH to the Jews and Allah to the Muslims. So let people not be confused by calling Him Cristian God but instead let Him be known as the God of Abraham or something that truly denotes all of His followers be they Jews, Christians, or Muslims.

And to answer the question as a good Roman Catholic I am sure the God of Abraham is real.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:26 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Caecuser wrote:
You don't need NASA to tell you that the world isn't flat.

Indeed. Just ask anyone that's been to sea.

Or has two sticks and a friend. Or one stick, a fast horse and some patience.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

With Teeth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby With Teeth » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 am

Sakash wrote: for example why does quantum mechanic wave function collapse on conscious observation? why does photon turn in to particle from wave when someone is observing and remains wave if no one observes?

First of all, as Mav pointed out, it hasn't been established that wavefunctions even collapse. In the ensemble interpretation, the de-Brogile Bohm interpretation (my favorite), quantum logic, many worlds, many minds, consistent histories, Popper's interpretation, the stochastic interpretation, and the time-symmetric interpretation, the wavefunction does not actually collapse.

Second of all, even in the interpretations where wavefunction collapse is real, consciousness often has nothing to do with it.
My blog

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am

21 Tribes wrote:The so called Christian God is not just the God of Christians. He is the God of Abraham meaning not only is he the God of Christians like myself but He is YHWH to the Jews and Allah to the Muslims. So let people not be confused by calling Him Cristian God but instead let Him be known as the God of Abraham or something that truly denotes all of His followers be they Jews, Christians, or Muslims.

And to answer the question as a good Roman Catholic I am sure the God of Abraham is real.

Why is god a male and not a female? Is it because males are superior and thus God could only be male?

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:31 am

21 Tribes wrote:The so called Christian God is not just the God of Christians. He is the God of Abraham meaning not only is he the God of Christians like myself but He is YHWH to the Jews and Allah to the Muslims. So let people not be confused by calling Him Cristian God but instead let Him be known as the God of Abraham or something that truly denotes all of His followers be they Jews, Christians, or Muslims.

The Triune Godhead you believe in is different than the unity that is the Jewish God.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am

Luveria wrote:

Why is god a male and not a female? Is it because males are superior and thus God could only be male?

Is this question being asked about the Christian God?
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am

Menassa wrote:
Luveria wrote:

Is this question being asked about the Christian God?

The Abrahamic ones, yes.

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:32 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Polgrusan wrote:
Why would God punish good parents? The children got away from BAD parents. Atheists are statistically happier, because if they're extremely unhappy, they can commit suicide without a worry. They also don't believe in an afterlife, so they try to live the best life possible, a happy life.

So religious people don't live the best life they could?

Your arguments for religion are actually better arguments against it, my friend.

Christians are encouraged to give to charity etc. etc. while Atheists can be sexually immoral etc. etc. if it gives them happiness, Christians would feel guilty after, say, fornication, which makes them feel bad. Few Atheists would regret fornication, and repent, as they don't believe those actions will have consequences. In Atheism, you can do what you want without fear of hell.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:34 am

Polgrusan wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
So religious people don't live the best life they could?

Your arguments for religion are actually better arguments against it, my friend.

Christians are encouraged to give to charity etc. etc. while Atheists can be sexually immoral etc. etc. if it gives them happiness, Christians would feel guilty after, say, fornication, which makes them feel bad. Few Atheists would regret fornication, and repent, as they don't believe those actions will have consequences. In Atheism, you can do what you want without fear of hell.

Why is fornication bad?

Polgrusan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Polgrusan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:34 am

Luveria wrote:
Menassa wrote:Is this question being asked about the Christian God?

The Abrahamic ones, yes.

Allah is not the same as God. The Christian God allowed Jesus to be crucified to pay for people's sins, while Allah saved Jesus and replaced him with an imposter, amongst other differences.
I'm a Christian. I have no doubts about God existing. Deal with it. You big poo.
Join the Conservative Empire!

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:34 am

Luveria wrote:
Menassa wrote:Is this question being asked about the Christian God?

The Abrahamic ones, yes.

So not just simply the Christian God?

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:35 am

Menassa wrote:
Luveria wrote:
The Abrahamic ones, yes.

So not just simply the Christian God?

If it only applies to the Christian God, I wouldn't mind knowing the reason. If the argument applies to the other Abrahamic gods, then it applies to those also.

Polgrusan wrote:
Luveria wrote:
The Abrahamic ones, yes.

Allah is not the same as God. The Christian God allowed Jesus to be crucified to pay for people's sins, while Allah saved Jesus and replaced him with an imposter, amongst other differences.

And I should care...why?

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:36 am

Luveria wrote:
Menassa wrote:So not just simply the Christian God?

If it only applies to the Christian God, I wouldn't mind knowing the reason. If the argument applies to the other Abrahamic gods, then it applies to those also.

I suppose in the interest of education.

http://www.jewfaq.org/g-d.htm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General